[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PCT Thread <3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: pct.jpg (76KB, 214x218px) Image search: [Google]
pct.jpg
76KB, 214x218px
Rate my current list of PCT thru hike items. I've got links to specific items btw, Everything is around $500. Food Items in next post.

Shelter:
Down Sleeping Bag 15F with compression sack
1 Person Tent
Eno-Double Nest
8x10 Tarp + bungees (Combine with tent stakes)
500 FT Paracord
Foam Sleeping Pad

Sustenance:
ALOCS Alcohol Stove + Heet + Windscreen
Stowaway Pot
Bic Lighter
Slingshot (squirrel/rabbit hunting)
Sawyer Mini
Two 1L Plastic Water Bottles, Maybe Plastic Gallon Jug
Bear Canister - BV500
Multi tool with knife, folding utensils, can opener

Storage/Transportation:
Backpack 60L
Backpack cover/Trash Bag
Trekking poles

Tech:
LED Headlamp + Spare Batteries
Usb Solar Charger
iPhone with PCT app, empty for picture taking

Clothes:
Frogg Toggs
Boots
Tevas
7 Pairs of Socks
Levis
White Cotton Shirt
Mittens
Boonie Hat
Shorts
Long Johns
Woolen Sweater

Medical/Misc:
Duct tape
Toilet Paper
Polarized Sunglasses
Ibuprofin, Bennadryl, Imodium
Tooth brush + Paste
Sewing Awl + Basic Sewing Kit
Penny Whistle
Waterproof Matches

Not Sure:
Stainless Water bottle/Thermos
Poop Shovel with added Saw
Hammock Bug Net
>>
PCT FOOD

Trail Mix
Instant Coffee
Cliff Bars
Snickers
Oatmeal
Peanut butter
Canned meats like spam and fish
Canned Veggies and Soup
Instant Mashed Potatoes
Olive Oil/Lard
Dried Fruits
Salt and Pepper
Eggs

Whatever else available at gas stations for cheap.
>>
>>667330
Shelter:
Drop the hammock.
Drop tarp and bungees
Drop 400FT paracord

Sustenance:
You need a permit for an alcohol stove in California in case you didn't already know.
Don't bring a slingshot.

Storage/Transportation:
You probably only need 1 trekking pole unless you've got shit knees.

Clothes:
You don't need 7 pairs of socks.
Replace the cotton shirt with polyester or wool.
Remove Levis, just use the long johns and shorts.
Replace woolen sweater with polar fleece.
Bring underwear and a warm hat

Medical/misc
I would personally not bring TP
Add moleskin
Add sunscreen+lip balm

Not sure:
Don't use Nalgene or SS bottles, use gatorade bottles or equivalent lightweight plastic (+water bladder if you can spend the money).
You don't need a saw
You don't need a bug net

Food:
Nothing in cans, nothing in glass, nothing that is primarily water weight.
>>
File: Brooks-Cascadia-81.jpg (134KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Brooks-Cascadia-81.jpg
134KB, 600x400px
>>667431
Concur with everything here, except the alcohol stove thing which varies. During "extreme" fire danger they are outright banned. They're generally too fussy and dangerous in dry areas. Kick it over and spill flaming liquid all over your shoe, fun (a trail name is born).

In addition, ditch boots, get trail runners. Left is the #1 shoe on the PCT for the past five years or so. "Wild" Danner boots are too heavy and uncomfortable. Solar charger is gonna be in the mail after the first 100 miles, just get an Anker battery and charge in town. You'll probably need a puffy insulating layer for the Sierra.
>>
>>667431
>You need a permit for an alcohol stove in California in case you didn't already know.
You need a fire permit for any stove, period. Alcohol stoves are banned pretty much everywhere, as are fires. You can get away with it— just don't be a dumbass. (For real though, don't be a dumbass.)

—you don't need duct tape or moleskin. Get leukotape. It's better than either (or both) at their respective jobs.

>>667431 advice is solid, but let me just emphasize
—don't bring fucking jeans (too hot in the desert, deadly in the wet+cold, and freakin heavy besides)
—don't bring a tent, a tarp, AND a goddamn hammock (hammock is next to useless most of the way anyway)
—you don't need seven motherfucking pair of socks. (Half that. Wash them in a baggie to fight crust)
—canned shit is way too heavy, and makes too much trash (unless it's beer and you drink it first day)
—make sure you pack the eggs and lard carefully (unless you like your pack disgusting and ravaged by mice/bear)

—slingshot is a stupid idea, but I stand behind it. Just don't be a dumbass (For real though, don't be a dumbass.) There is probably a trail name or something in it. Are you even any good at all with it though? Like are you just going to maim a marmot or something and not be able to catch it?
>>
>>667514
everyone on the PCT hates the cascadia as of last year. Apparently their newest model falls apart every 100 miles. Merrell Moabs are a pretty good value to durability IMO.
>>
How does /out/ feel about Sierra Madre products?
>>
File: sling.jpg (84KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
sling.jpg
84KB, 1001x1001px
>>667525
>Are you even any good at all with it though? Like are you just going to maim a marmot or something and not be able to catch it?

I'm pretty inspired by this video. I'm sure there will be plenty of squirils along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OuCErYXzCs

At $9 including shipping, I think it will be worth it's weight for a bit of fun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331710996404

>>667431
>>667514
>>667525
Thanks for the tips guys.
>>
>>667525
>You need a fire permit for any stove, period

This is interesting and seems to check out. I've been backpacking in the San Gabriel/Bernardino mountains for 4 years and have never been checked for one. Seems pretty simple to get though.

>>667527
I heard that but also heard the 11's have fixed the durability issues. I guess we'll find out. I'm probably getting Altra Lone Peaks due to the wider last.
>>
>>667553
For more game catching consider a Tenkara fly fishing pole. Super light, meant for mountain fishing. Not sure if there are any places along the PCT that are not catch and release though.
>>
>>667553
I saw plenty of things along the way you might could eat, the question is will you have the time to hunt, clean, and cook enough food to be worth it, and also hike 20–30 miles every day. The answer is probably no. You could make the time for it every once in a while, but not often. Bear in mind the fuel required when in a no fire zone (pretty much the whole trail during hiking season) and that in certain areas you are likley to get fined a lot by the NPS. Exercise common sense. Maybe don't keep that slingshot visible on your person when walking through Yosemite.

also >inspiration
yeah, not the same thing as skill. Practice on some tin cans in your yard or something first.

>>667558
there are some killer trout fishing spots in the sierra. Get a California fishing license or don't get caught. Game Wardens will fuck you if you don't have one (especially if you are from out of state)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.