[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (22KB, 300x206px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
22KB, 300x206px
Hello /out/ Anyone ever heard of mission knives? They sell very nice titanium knives. It says they never rust and are much tougher than steel but they don't keep as good a edge as steel. Any experience?
>>
I'd advise against it. Titanium is great, but brittle.

Just get a knife made from 10-- series (I like 1075 the best) and keep it oiled.
>>
>>666042
They make it from thier won "beta titanium" which is supposedly softer than steel. Like S7 or cpm 1v or H13 but very tough.
>>
>>666042

>titanium is brittle

just stop
titanium can be just as flexable and can hold just as good of edge

its that most manufacturers are fucking retarded and no one who actually knows how to work with titanium as made a knife yet, asside from your typical kucked buisnessmen who are scamming you idiots with outdoor knife products which cause 12$ to produce, even though you idiots pay hundreds
>>
File: 100_5463-e1397867671480.jpg (24KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
100_5463-e1397867671480.jpg
24KB, 350x262px
>>666042
1095 masterrace
>>
>>666048
>made of titanium
>cost 12$ to produce
Are you being purposefully retarded?
>>
>>666048
So can Iron and Steel.

I'm not saying that tiranium is complete shit. I'm just saying that steel has been the mainstay for hundreds of years, and in this day and age, can be fine-tuned to just about any task.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is, you know what you're getting with steel. Titanium may have different strengths and weaknesses, some of which (i.e. Brittleness in certain situations/forms) may be undesirable for a tool meant for innawoods-ing.

Is it garbage? No. Is steel better? IMHO, yes.

>>666055
Mah nigga. I'm looking to get my hands on some 1095 and 1075, forge a knife or two out of each, and test them to see how I like working the steel and how they perform.

Which reminds me. OP, do research, and see if they state the Rockwell Hardness of the blade, see if the whole thing is titanium or if the knife has a totanium inlay, etc. compile all of the little tidbits and go from there.

>>666046
My having a hard on for steel aside, that's fucking cool. I haven't heard much on how titanium has advanced to meet the needs of the end user, and that's a cool tidbit of information.
>>
File: DSC01776.jpg~original.jpg (163KB, 1023x685px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01776.jpg~original.jpg
163KB, 1023x685px
>>666033

I'm about to buy two. A folder and an MPT

They are tougher than your average knife, maybe even more than carbon 1095.

They are absolutely perfect for diving or for manipulating wires or electrical stuff. They are also lighter than most knives of the same size, which is GOAT.

If you're not basing your purchase in those activities, i suggest you blow your money on a Busse
>>
>>666033

There have been 0 reports as of today of a broken Mission.

Soldiers love them, and once they try them they never go back to steel.
>>
>>666055

Good steel but pleb steel.

also

>TOPS
>>
>>666033
Would only be useful for diving.
>>
>>666055
I want that knife so damn bad
>>
>>666327
can they baton?
>>
>>667025
The MPK is a excellent baton because of its full flat grind. The titanium is also very though which means you will not chip your blade.( as a normal knife will chip in harsh conditions, titanium will have a rolled edge, this is great for toughness and maintaining your blade.)
>>
The Basic advantages of Mission Knives are:

Corrosion Proof: Mission Knives are corrosion proof in all naturally occuring environments. The Mission MPK Seal knife has been soaking in seawater for over 5 years without a hint of corrosion or rust.

Weight: Mission Knives weight are 40%-50% lighter than steel.

Heat and Cold Stability: Mission Knives are more stable in extreme temperatures and they will not break in subzero weather whereas steel can and will shatter. They will not break, crack, or chip under impact or stress at these various temperatre extremes of hot or cold.

Strength to weight ratio: Mission Knives are superior in its strength to weight ratio compared to all available steels and ceramics

Non-Magnetic: Mission Knives are magnetically inert (Non-Magnetic) and are used by the Navy SEALS, Marine Corps and Air Force EOD Units to defuse magnetically triggered mines and devices.
>>
Flexibility: Mission Knives may be flexed or bowed repeatedly without undergoing rupture. They have 50% of the modulus of steel and will therefore bend at least twice as far as steel before breaking.

Wear and Abrasion Resistance: Mission Knives have 3 times the abrasion resistance of steel, and titanium is also a self healing metal that forms an oxide crystal ceramic skin over itself when scratched. This gives it the ability to resist wear contact with outside materials such as dirt, sand, ice, mud, webbing, rope, etc. and continue to give excellent service when abused.
Mission's special blend of titanium knives are well known for their strength, durability, and corrosion proof construction as is exhibited by being used by the US Navy SEALS for over 12 years as in use by Marine REcon and other units (with government assigned NSN numbers). These same products are now being used by other military and law enforcement agencies due to their strength and corrosion proof capabilities from perspiration and in and around salt and sea water (titanium will not rust in salt or ocean water), cold temperatures, and rugged outdoors conditions. All of Mission's knives are 100% made in the U.S.A from parts produced in America.
>>
>>666327
>>667033
>>667037
>>667038
I don't usually accuse people of being shills but this is just so obvious. You're just posting a sales pitch at this point.
>>
Do they make axes/tomahawks? I think because of the high toughness, the titanium would be more practical made to be a tomahawk.
>>
>>667053

I dont think so because they just dont have enough weight.

Titanium knives are bad choppers because they're so light.

Also the hacking strength is diminished because of that
>>
>>667047
Exactly

This thread is shit, your knives are shit and your shilling is awful.
>>
>>666048
>titanium is brittle
there is some truth in this, it's not that titanium is brittle compared to steel in a single hit scenario, it's that the material tires out faster than steel. repeated heating and cooling or repeated stress will make it brittle.

basically if a steel knife can take batoning you can baton it forever even for generations passed down.
if you baton a titanium knife it will break eventually. the question is only which year.
>>
>>666055
Daily reminder that the higher the carbon content does not necessarily mean the better the blade.
>>
So /out/ are there actually any good metals for knives other than iron/steel? I mean maybe something that is cost prohibitive for mass manufacture but might work well for a knife.
>>
>>667642
There was this thing called the "Bronze Age." They had workable knives.

>>666033
I was given a pocket knife with a titanium blade. It's great for fishing, don't have to worry about rust. It holds an edge poorly, though.
>>
>>667877
Bronze is not very good though, there's a reason steal surpassed it.
>>
>>667878
Bronze was malleable and at the time it was the cutting edge (get it) of metallurgy.
>>
>>666033
get this one for edc. light and thin with an 72 RC tungsten carbide edge. why steelfags even trying with their subpar and old as fuck metallurgic technology in the year of 2016?
step up your game, niggers.
>>
>>668004
>carbide edge
wtf do you use to sharpen it nigga?
the main reason for steel knives is it's hard enough to cut most material but soft enough to easily maintain the edge.
>>
>>668010
I was looking it up online, and it is only carbide on one side of the blade. So I guess you actually sharpen the steel side. Check it out on their website.
>>
>>668010
>wtf do you use to sharpen it nigga?
you don't, it stays sharp forever.
>>
>>668010
>what do you use to sharpen it
Diamond, presumably
>>
File: image.jpg (185KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185KB, 640x1136px
>>668010
>>668015
>>668040
>>
>>668004

I'm fucking drooling over some of this guys designs.

It may be a sin to some but I'm gonna try anodizing my Mission folder once I buy it.

SO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL
>>
File: 1452156904444.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1452156904444.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
>>668046
>the carbide is invulnerable
>>
>>667642
Ferrum Forge uses SM100, which is a non ferris nickel based alloy I believe
>>
>>668040
diamond is not much harder than carbide
it's a fucked up idea would take forever
>>
Anyone have the Schwartz tactical axe or tomahawk? I think its has a much better price than mission.
>>
>>669621

no, but I agree the prices look better
>>
>>666056
It's metaphorical
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.