[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often do you get these fuckers where you /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

File: DeerTick2.jpg (4KB, 203x217px) Image search: [Google]
DeerTick2.jpg
4KB, 203x217px
How often do you get these fuckers where you /out/?
>>
I gues on half the trips one latches on.

Last one that got me crawled in my butcrack and I had to ask a buddy to remove it. It was kinda awkward.
>>
>>665571
Totally not gay.
>>
Literally every fucking time, my dogs have spot on stuff so the ticks leave them alone but lucky me I get all the attention. Anyone got any suggestions to keep them off? DEET is fucking useless.
>>
i get them a lot. but it's no big deal. i just make sure to check when i take a shower at home and remove any of the fuckers i can find.
>>
>>665579
Maybe your feet isn't concentrated enough? Most products are pretty weak. I use a 90 percent solution and it works for me.
>>
>>665594
Lel. Deet.
>>
Try wearing long socks and pants and long sleeved shirts as well. Get a lot at my cabin and thats the best thing you can do, I dont even use deet. Not 100% effective but still works pretty well.
>>
I don't mind them, all memeing aside I grew up getting tons of ticks playing in the woods so I think their "shock" value of finding one on me is gone. Deconditioning yourself as an adult might be harder...either way its not a big deal, just pluck them off. Its just another of a bajillion realities about going outside.
>>
Has anyone ever gotten Lyme disease before while /out/?
>>
Minnesota here. In summer? Literally every trip, even walking down the road next to tall grass. I started counting after a job up an eight mile trail. At home before a shower I counted 43. Just everywhere
>>
I'm in Connecticut, which means barberry, which means fucktons of ticks. One time I found 5 on me after a day out. Less than 1% of deer ticks carry Lyme, and transmission risk is low if they have been latched on for less than 24 hours. Just check yourself every day you're in a tick area and keep tweezers. Lyme is nasty, it can cause bell's palsy, neurological damage, and joint damage.
>>
>>665642
What ct anon are you?
>haven't had a tick bite in 3-4 years
>>
I have this stuff called Chigg-Away I got from a buddy that was about to deploy. It's back at the house, I'll have to post it when I get home. It's pretty greasy tho.
>>
>>665535
Literally every time.

Had one on me just yesterday after being out in the woods.
>>
>>665597
>Try wearing long socks and pants and long sleeved shirts as well
who's wearing that shit in the summer?
>>
>>665579
Permethrin.
Don't use it if you got cats though.
>>
File: despondent_pepe_lyme.jpg (73KB, 400x387px) Image search: [Google]
despondent_pepe_lyme.jpg
73KB, 400x387px
Almost every time I'm /out/.
>>
What did people do before we had insect repellants? Was it not as much of an issue back then?
>>
>>665730
Lyme disease used to be concentrated to a small area. So it wasn't something to worry about.
It's the only reason they bother me at all.
>>
>>665730
well think about it. assuming we are derived from apes, we became skinless possibly as an evolutionary trait against thinks like ticks. it may even be that the proverbial missing link died off from hairyness, and we are the darwinistic outcome. so its not that we never had an issue with it, just that those of us

also we've had insect repellent for a long time. such as what sticks or herbs to add to your fire to ward off insects is one of the older knowledges we created. some african tribes use certain muds as both antiseptics and second skins, similar to some animals. im no anthropologist but its hard to assume there was much "before insect repellent"
>>
>>665535
prioritize... i work outside all summer and have never gotten bit. also dress and pack appropriately or even avoid certain areas
>
1. dehydration, sun exposure
2. wild parsnip, poison oak/ivy, wasps, hornets, bees
3. chiggers, ticks, mosquitos, deer/horse flys, black flys, gnats
>>
Never, ever.
And I walk through long grass, Bush and temperate rainforests in short sleeves and shorts.
>based New Zealand
>>
>>665535
From a person who lives in one of the tickiest parts of Southern Ontario, would any anons from the PNW be able to tell me how bad it is around your neck of the woods? I remember running through a 100 acre meadow on Vancouver Island, and maybe got two blackleggeds on me. If I did the same thing here, I'd have hundreds of deer ticks ceawling all over me.
>>
>>665796
It's not bad at all. I've gotten like two ticks in 3 years of living and hiking around the PNW.

Meanwhile, my record in Missouri was 92 ticks in 24 hours.
>>
>>665796
vancouver island here, I've hiked crosscountry for years and never once had a tick. They don't exist
>>
My greatest defence against them is cutting my hair really short so the fuckers don't have a place to hide.
I lothe ticks and I want to kill all of them in horrific ways.
>>
>>665603
Not Lyme disease, but I got relapsing fever a couple years ago from a deer tick while playing disk golf. It was like getting a flu back to back to back. The worse part about it is when you start feeling better the last time you start worrying about it coming back again.
>>
>>665571
This is perfectly normal in the military. Here in Australian we'd check each other every morning if the buggers were in season and depending on what training area we were in.

Once woke up with 16 and I saw one guy lose the use of his arm from a paralysis tick. Spinning them as you pull them out helps.
>>
>>665796
Never gotten a tick. Only seen one once, on my doge. We don't do bugs much around these parts. Blew my mind the first time I went camping in Wisconsin. Also, Missouri is awful for them, but for some reason I only found one, crawling, and hadn't attached, and the lady got like ten. Which I then had to pull in the tent. Good reason to get her naked though.
>>
I've only ever had 1 on me and that happened last spring. The wild asparagus was still coming up in mid June for some reason. Bastard must have been in the high weeds. It was a lone star tick, but according to the geographic distribution maps they aren't in Michigan...
>>
>>665674
Not that anon, but I always wear full length pants and long shirts when out during the summer. It's also a reason I don't go too far out when it's hot. Early spring and Autumn weather are much more enjoyable anyways, even winter is better. Summers are for relaxing on the patio or wasting money at the gun range.
>>
>>665603
My dad got it working as a land surveyor. Almost seemed inevitable with how often we saw ticks on us.
>>
>>665535
Makes me glad to live in the desert
>>
They're terrible here in Georgia. A relative of mine got somehow got Lyme here and they've never been north of South Carolina. It's my worst fear going out. Why doesn't somebody eradicate like they're planning on doing to mosquitoes?
>>
California here. My dad used to take me on hunting trips and I was in the Boy Scouts. Never once did I ever experience a Tick. Even on my solo hiking trips nowadays I check myself when I get home and I never find anything.

Maybe I'm just hiking when they are not in season? I'm still amazed by my own luck because I'm actually absolutely terrified of getting one, the thought of some creature sticking its face into my body just squicks the fuck out of me.

I've also never experienced poison oak.
>>
I enjoy camping a few weeks every year and enjoy going hiking during the year as well

my wife and kids don't enjoy it like I do but I am encouraged to go /out/ and do it

I come home pretty often with a tick

the wife and kids make jokes that "dad has bugs"

I have had to be de-ticked by the wife on several occasions.

I usually do self inspections daily when camping and try to remove them before they get their head completely buried.
>>
>>665535
I have a scar from a paralysis tick on my side.
Another healing on my wrist.
>>
>>665703
underrated Pepe
>>
>>665703
Unlike most dumb frogposts this made me kek
>>
They're the fucking worse. I've only really ever found them on my socks and underwear since I try to be well covered. Hiking through the Indiana dunes is a fucking bug nightmare - Tick infestation, swarms of mosquito's, etc.

You just gotta try to pick them off and search your body best as possible. They can't be crushed and take forever to drown, but the toilet seems to be a good disposal tool
>>
>>665884
I'm planning on moving to Prince Rupert next year, so that's really good to hear. As ridiculous as it is, I love spending as much time as possible in wild areas, but have a huge fear of ticks that started when I got really sick from Lyme's disease.
>>
>>666200
Trips of truth. The world could be a much better place without ticks and mosquito's.
>>
>>669334
I was bedridden for two months, and became extremely weak and sluggish for years. I'm finally starting to feel stronger, but it was hell going through the disease.

The remaining uncivilized beings and landscapes of the world are among those that I love the most, but they can sometimes bring unexpected effects, as I figured out after I saw the bullseye bruise.
>>
>>665603
Every family member

Vaccinated against TBE though
>>
>>665535
never had one
>>
These things are so annoying.
>>
>live in kentucky
>go to woods
>leave with 30 of these fuckers on you
>>
>>669333
You can crush them though, just gotta be inventive. I use the flat sides of two knives (or whatever really), press one in the middle, then the other on a side and it pops the fuckers, or just rips them in half. Fucking hate ticks and fleas and any stupid fucking parasitic bug.
>>
I live in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, and there were never ticks on the island portion until fuckers didn't check themselves/their dogs and brought them over from the mainland in recent years.
Now there are growing populations on the west coast.
It's too bad because our province is basically an /out/ paradise
>>
Last season I got maybe 4. 3 were on my legs, 1 was on my stomach.

Come spring I intend to start wearing gaiters to stop them getting in at the ankle.

As for the one on my stomach, I wasn't being vigilant with my jacket - took off my outer layers to chop some wood and had just flung it down, guess the little fuck got onto it.

The little crowbar looking removal tools are useless.
>>
ive only ever had one tick on me, and i got it in ND. Not too bad though. i smothered it in vaseline and he backed right out. i hear you can also use a match to burn them out. People here in the PNW generally advise against just pulling it out because the head stays in.
>>
File: cmon_out_.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cmon_out_.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>665535
>>665571
>>665572
>>665579
>>665580
>>665594
>>665595
>>665597
>>665600
>>665603
>>665634
>>665642
>>665643
>>665644
>>665646
>>665674
>>665698
>>665703
>>665730
>>665739
>>665759
>>665764
>>665773
>>665796
>>665884
>>665990
>>665995
>>666007
>>666017
>>666023
>>666085
>>666099
>>666152
>>666155
>>666200
>>666433
>>666441
>>667647
>>669277
>>669284
>>669333
>>669334
>>669336
>>669337
>>669340
>>669474
>>669485
>>669493
>>669803
>>669807
>>669874
>>670005

>2015+1
>not wearing women's high waisted panty hose
>not wearing for added blister protection
>sweat wicking
>additional layer
>also sexy

I have been wearing these for years and not once have I EVER had a tick on me since I started.
>>
>>670034
b-but i am of the menfolks, not even a girlieman
>>
>>665535
We have tonnes of them here on the Prairies now. Never used to but now they're everywhere. So all spring and into the mid summer you get them whenever you walk in the country.
>>
>>670036
I'm man enough to know when something works and should be utilized. It's not visible, so why do you care?
>>
>>665579
Me and you both buddy. I forgot how shittu it was wearing pants while out until I came back south. Now everything is tucked and tied an I have to go over dog every time we get /in/
>>
>>670043
Muh delicate hairy legs anon, even socks hurt I don't want to be wearing a whole body thing for it to get taingled in.
>>
>>665535
Several times. I got a few every summer when i was a kid and played in the woods. Rarely now, for whatever reason. I did had a friend recently tell me all about how he couldn't find a doctor who would remove a tick from his neck, until he went to like his 4th local clinic. I made fun of him pretty hard for that. I've heard all about "don't leave the head", but never once heard of it actually happening or any adverse effects.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.