[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of batoning is a meme, /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 25

File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1024x768px
How much of batoning is a meme, /out/?
>>
>>664358
For that guy in the picture? A huge meme.

He's clearly in his back yard. He's batoning a piece of wood big enough to burn by itself once a fire is established. The piece he has chosen to baton could even be hardened since it looks like it's already been in a fire.

That fucking nigger even has a well used batoning baton.

I bet if you gave him shit for it he'd just be all like "Yeah well, I did it to test my gear. I want things like this to happen to me in my back yard, not out in the wilderness!"

Batoning is with a knife is something you do in an emergency or at most very VERY fucking occasionally for lulz. It shouldn't be a primary method.
>>
>>664360
/thread
>>
>>664358

An extreme meme.

Never in my life have I know or heard of a native or daily knife user that has ever batoned in his life.

I have never batoned in my life. It is not a necessity, even in an emergency, I dont know how one would need to baton for firewood.

I like how the backyard youtube survivalists baton just as a test of toughness that will make manufacturers come out with solid products, but I also miss knives that are thin and can actually cut well.

Arguably the worst part about batoning is that it conveys the idea that a knife with a hidden tang or a rat tail is automatically shit, when in fact it's not the case.
>>
>>664360
>>664362

It depends on the knife. Nowadays they make stout blades that primary purpose is batoning.
>>
>>664366

Would you share some examples?
>>
>>664368
No cause I guarantee you or someone else will attack the example saying how its a dumb piece of kit. You get a piece of steel of the right composition and geometry its not going to suddenly shatter being smacked into wood.
>>
>>664366
>Stout-bladed tool designed for splitting wood.
That would called an axe.

Axes haven't changed in hundreds of years because axes are already the perfect tool for the job.
>>
>>664375

I genuinely want to know! If that was my intention I would have just said "Like what, faggot?"
>>
>>664375

>Y-you plebs wouldn't understand!

Come on anon, don't be like that. We're all friends here.
>>
>>664377
Technologies change. Saws are extremely hard to make for example, axes are relatively easy. Saws were not in common use by frontiersmen in the USA well into the 1800's. Lots of people became very skilled using axes for jobs that a lay person could accomplish using a saw. Presently you could abandon all axe use if you wanted to, plenty of tools exist now that can replace it.
>>
Batoning is fucking dumb, if you're in an emergency don't risk your knife, just shave pieces off the outside for tinder.

A dull knife >>>>>>>>> a broken knife
>>
>>664378
>>664384

well lets see. I got an axe right near me where the head is convex ground with a max thickness of 5-6mm. If you think they don't make knives similar or even beefier you need to learn to use google.
>>
>>664389

Why are you so defensive? Haha.
>>
>>664389
The maximum thickness of your axe is 5-6mm? Are you sure it's not like 25-30mm? Because that's what mine are.
>>
>>664396
i am talking about the part of the head that is beveled for use as the primary cutting/splitting surface. Of course its thicker near the eye, you know, cause there is huge gaping hole for the handle and a lot of axes also have pol capable of hammer use.
>>
>>664397

>which is the reason it's more effective
>>
>>664397

You get that unless we're talking about cutting across the grain, the cutting edge is only a tiny part of the equation here, right? I'm not trying to be a dick but the reason something like an axe is better with splitting is because it thickens like that. You said they made knives with the primary purpose of batoning, if you just think knives with a 5mm stock fill that category then I would heartily disagree.
>>
>>664360
It even looks like he poured a batoning pad.

>>664362
If only that were true.
>>
>>664366
> I like to abuse my tools
>>
>>664358
i bet he struck the knife spine at an angle while the belly of the blade was already wedged in tight.

batoning requires skill unless you have knife of some space magic metal that doesn't bend or break.
>>
>>664402
Let me be clear here just so were on the same page. There are no large scale production knives that I know of that could replace a full sized splitting maul. I am talking about knives that are stout enough that can accomplish that of hatchets/one handed axes. As far as the upper limit that knives could reasonable compare to, I haven't measured too many forest sized axes but I would say that is probably the size of axe and above where axe's are going to outclass anything you could come up with in a knife-like design.
>>
>>664385
>plenty of tools exist now that can replace it.

that's the point you need multiple tools to do everything an axe can do.

it was kind of an ancient multi-tool. it's still useful as a single tool option.
>>
>>664368
http://www.buckknives.com/product/compadre-froe/0108WAS-B/

Prob a shit knife, but not sure
>>
>>664385
And I could use an abacus instead of a calculator, it doesn't make it a better tool.
>>
What I want to know is, why would you need to split large branches length-ways? I've never run into any pieces of tree that I could not stomp and break, or wrench off a tree. Ive used a knife to make small "v" cuts in the base of large branches I snap off by hand, but I don't like to let the knife go more than an inch or so deep in the wood. If something is too large to manage with this method, this is simply something you'd need an axe for.
Am I doing it wrong?
Also, when batoning, the friction across the blade surface is seems immense! Shouldn't you at least lubricate the knife if you're going to do this? I just don't understand why it would ever be needed.
>>
>>664358
99% meme
1% useful
>>
>>664417
>why would you need to split large branches length-ways?
when wood is wet you split in four to increase surface and expose dry middle.
also if making a board or shelve.
>>
File: 1452141746038.jpg (69KB, 640x714px) Image search: [Google]
1452141746038.jpg
69KB, 640x714px
>>664410
Why bother doing something that could easily break a useful tool? Who the hell needs small pieces of split wood? What is the largest stick you could actually baton? What use is the finished product?
>>
>>664417
because people go to environments where you simply can't find such easy wood. The thing that comes to most people's minds is firewood but being able to split wood like that is really beneficial for shelter making, woodcraft, and tool making.
>>
>>664424
>Why bother doing something that could easily break a useful tool?
only if you do it wrong desu
>What is the largest stick you could actually baton?
i have seen whole trunks batoned
with a cs srk i think

but generally you would want a diameter smaller than your knife blade length, it's best if flat spine is exposed to hit
>>
>>664422
When wood is wet, you use the tree resin as fuel for smaller fires to dry the larger sticks out. If you have access to the tree to baton the stiks up, you obviously have access to the saps.
If time is not an issue, why use makeshift means?
>>
>>664428
that's not how it works tho
resin is good it burns like candlewax maybe hotter, but if no pines around and you need fire asap you are fucked.
sometimes wood is just too wet and even kindling is too wet and you are hurt or it's too dark to roam around try to find dry tinder enough to dry out wet twigs.

i have been in situation like this took me an hour before i could stop splitting wood because the fire became self sustaining. of course i used an axe cause i had an axe but the mechanics are much the same.
>>
File: 1452141238337.png (108KB, 1680x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1452141238337.png
108KB, 1680x1044px
>>664426
So let me get this straight, people go into an environment with shitty wood prospects. They make a point to bring themselves to this area, and arrive with a knife.
>tool making
Well you have access to tools, that's why you bought a knife to bring.
>woodcraft
I'm sure you meant whittling.
>shelter making
Wanting all the sticks in your shelter to be flat on one side is just preference, and if you're willing to break knives to satisfy your flat-on-one-side shelter preference, I think that might be called autism.

I'm starting to see that this is just something for people that literally have no income. I mean I get it, you're just a kid fucking around in the woods, your mom cant drive you around today and you want to make a little chair or some shit. Yeah I could see this as an option.

No experienced, able bodied man would ever need this. If you have to resort to a knife to split wood, that's called being unprepared. Not something you want to do too often while /out/
>>
>>664415
oh shit a froe! careful with that matety some heads might explode around here if people find out more tools exist than an estwing and an opinel.
>>
>>664436
holy fucking shit your fucking dense.
>>
File: orsno34841.gif.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
orsno34841.gif.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
This costs $5 , mine weighs 2 lbs , maybe less.
Cant carry an extra 2lb? Why kid yourselves and play survival guy.
/thread
>>
>>664436
>Wanting all the sticks in your shelter to be flat on one side is just preference, and if you're willing to break knives to satisfy your flat-on-one-side shelter preference, I think that might be called autism.
lol what a retard
sometimes you don't have enough wood available you have to make the most of what you got splitting long logs in half doubles the shelter walls it might very well save your ass. of course it's way easier to just get more logs if there is around.

also if you want to make a plate for yourself or a clean surface to cut meat or your food on your best option is to split a log.

>If you have to resort to a knife to split wood, that's called being unprepared.
well sometimes you don't plan on staying for weeks just passing thru. other than that you are going to have a hatchet at least. but i don't bring hatchets to one day hikes either even tho i love them. i always bring a knife tho.
>>
>>664441
*You're
Don't worry they'll cover things like this in school later.

And why?
>>
>>664442
wtf? why would anyone carry that?
unless you want to fell real huge trees but then plastic or wood wedges work the same and much lighter.
>>
>>664446
So depending on the situation, the weight of your hatchet changes?
If its a high use tool, why leave it?
>Unprepared
>>
>>664447
Cause you are going on and on about needs and what you would personally do. No gives a shit. It's a big world out there, filled with tons of places and people with different preferences, goals, intentions, and skill sets than you.
>>
>>664448
Not that guy but his point is any wedge harder than the wood you are splitting can baton wood. You can even baton soft woods with a hard wood wedge.
>>
File: baby_razor_by_sricketts14381.jpg (19KB, 270x200px) Image search: [Google]
baby_razor_by_sricketts14381.jpg
19KB, 270x200px
>>664448
>tfw able bodied
>tfw use right tools for right job
>tfw complete tasks faster with correct tools
>>
>>664450
what? i leave it when i don't plan to use it.
that doesn't mean i can't have a need for it.
sometimes you make the wrong guess and have to improvise.
i would baton in a need for it but i would be very careful not whack away like a lunatic on those vids.
i have a backup folder always that could take some batoning in a pinch too but i'm not keen to find out how much.
>>
>>664455
lumberjacks don't just carry one wedge you negro. they carry 4-5. that's 5-10 kg weight extra. small wonder plastics are used today.

>>664454
you can baton with hard wood and it's preferable, but takes a long time to make a serviceable wedge with a knife from hard wood, fire harden it (for which you need that fucking fire) and all that jazz.
>>
>>664432
>sometimes wood is just too wet and even kindling is too wet and you are hurt or it's too dark to roam around try to find dry tinder enough to dry out wet twigs

This is NOT the case 99.9999999999% of the time. So what's your excuse? If it's "too dark" you should have stopped earlier or planned to get there earlier- that's poor planning on your part. I've never encountered conditions "too wet" to find kindling and start a fire without splitting wood in 20 years. Here's a tip: carry tinder, since it weighs little and kindling is easier to find.
>>
>>664360
>Batoning is with a knife is something you do in an emergency or at most very VERY fucking occasionally for lulz. It shouldn't be a primary method.

Only thing you had to say.
>>
>>664511
well i have
and splitting logs saved my ass too it was around 2 degrees C and some wind.
every fucking thing was dripping wet and there was fog and dark too.
would have been a miserable night without fire and i have just arrived at my campsite.
>>
>>664511
>>664521
also... i always carry tinder in many forms
it was not enough to start anything i had to make feather-sticks out of thicker logs insides and that only lit finally when i dosed it with paraffin.
once i had a smallish fire from feather-sticks i had to chop and chop for the dry middles until i had good solid ember and a fucking fire with a wind tunnel blowing it hot to dry logs on.
>>
>>664452
People are being taught to do something absolutely idiotic. The size of the world is irrelevant. What is preference is to engage in this degeneracy in the first place.
>>
>>664520
If it's an "emergency" the last thing I want to do is fuck my knife up.
>>
>>664523
The fuck is a feather stick? Don't know about you, but I'd never NOT found dry kindling. You've obviously got a knowledge problem, not a methods or tools problem. The only tool for wood processing I've ever used was a bow saw and I've never gone without a fire. I've had quite a time getting fires going when it was wet out, but nothing that REQUIRED me to split a 2-4" log open.

Batoning is 99% meme, and useful only when your life is on the line, not when your comfort (caused by your poor planning) is on the line. Even still I can expose dry wood of trees like cedar, which has water proof bark and ALWAYS has deadfall kindling with a folding knife.
>>
>>664521
So you are pretty much saying this experience taught you to carry a wedge at all times.
>>
>>664521
>splitting logs saved my ass
Same guy as >>664575 here.
What are you camping without a tent or something? I've camped in 18 inches of snow without a fire, and without risk of losing life or limb. Sounds like you were unprepared AND you didn't plan very well.
>>
>>664546
Lol this idiot.
>>
And a $10 hatchet which is light and small works immensely better
>>
>>664366
>>664441
>>664452
>>664520
100% bitching
0% Information or contribution
Go back to /b/ guys
>>
>>664594
yes bro a $10 hatchet totally works better at batoning than any knife you could choose.

Are you naturally this wrong ? Or did someone tell you this ?
>>
>>664595
If you really don't believe a sturdy knife (or ANY sturdy wedge shaped piece of steel) can baton all day and night without damage I don't know what to tell you, you are beyond information comprehension.
>>
Batoning is a meme for sure. Just like using the spine of your knife to strike a ferro rod. Idiots don't realize its scraping material OFF your knife, weakening it. I use the right tool for the right job and don't abuse my knife, that's why I carry a striker with me. (and a back up striker as well)
>>
File: 2+%283%29.jpg (87KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
2+%283%29.jpg
87KB, 1600x1068px
In all the time I've spent outdoors, innawoods, camping, hiking, overnighting, trekking, multi-overnighting, and traversing, I've never needed to b'ton before. Granted, I've never been homeless and lived in the woods, but who the fuck needs to b'ton innawoods? I haven't run out of branches, limbs, and sticks. And wtf I have a hatchet if I need to chop anything. This shit makes absolutely no fucking ¢ to me whatsoever.
>>
http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=67296

learn a new catch phrase - froe
>>
>>664602

Where did I say "any" knife?

However, yes, by all means spend $$$$ on a batoning knife that will work no better than a $10 hatchet. Merchants need their money, after all.
>>
>>664632
don;'t even ponder to that tard man. I recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-45-Survival-Hatchet/dp/B001CWEH72 I build crazy good fires with it and do construction projects with it. Fucking idiots spending more than $10 on a knife, that they are going to gayton with ? get the fuck out of here. My gerbs has never failed me once, retards need to stop pretending to be bear grills and act fuckijng normal for once.
>>
Build a bigger fire.
>>
>>664607
If you're using it with flint or other stone, yeah. You're chipping your blade. Ferrocerium however is much softer than steel and designed specifically to be what wears down. At worse, you're ruining your finish. Of course, if you're that worried about ruining the finish on your knife, you should probably not be /out/.
>>
Guys wtf is this thread?

lets try and refocus here, are we trying to justify the batoning as a technique or justifying not carrying a hatchet?

Assuming splitting wood for a fire using batoning is a legitimate technique, how could you justify carrying the much heavier, less versatile hatchet?
>>
>>664546
\thread
>>
>>664730
or is the point that youd never even need to split wood anyways? I dont understand you guys i really didnt expect such poor quality posts. Whos the ignorant dick-weed who invited him?
>>
File: 20140116_171355.jpg (241KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20140116_171355.jpg
241KB, 1600x1200px
>>664730
>Guys wtf is this thread?

It's the same as every batoning thread before it.
>>
>>664730

>Hatchet
>heavy and not versatile

Uh huh.

You can cut everything that needs cutting on a hatchet blade. It's also a better backup weapon and tool for making weapons, such as spears and bows.
>>
>>664748
bud we can play g.i joe later were talking about splitting wood.

can you skin small game or remove a splinter with a hatchet?

As for your weight point, in the comparison with a knife it undoubtedly heavier.

My point is that a knife is lighter, more versatile, and for the love of fuck youre not doing your blade any damage if it has a proper grind on it. They put that there for a reason.
>>
>>664577
something you can split with at least a 4" knife but hatchet really works better. but some "wedge" yeah.
>>664586
the plan was okay (it was to get in there while the sun was still up scout the area take my time to prep for fire etc...) the execution got fucked up. stuff happens.
>>
>>664752
a fiskars x7 is the same weight or lighter as a bk9 (a typical cheaper abuse knife)
>>
>>664730
>how could you justify carrying the much heavier, less versatile hatchet?
with hatchet it's faster and less abusive
knife can do it in a pinch
>>
File: splitting.jpg (36KB, 329x201px) Image search: [Google]
splitting.jpg
36KB, 329x201px
>>664364
>I dont know how one would need to baton for firewood.
In a case of emergency. It's always a good idea to carry some basic tools, like some plastic rain cover, firestarter and some wood processing tools even when you're not planning to use them. A heavy hatchet is not one of those basic tools.

>>664366
>Nowadays they make stout blades that primary purpose is batoning.
this.

A strong knife is also a good primary splitting tool. It's lighter than a hatchet and when you're not cutting a forest down and splitting it too, what's the poing of carrying splitting mauls, wedges, chainsaws and hatchets?

>>664386
>if you're in an emergency don't risk your ONLY knife
fixed it for you.

Besides, when splitting or cutting with a hatchet there's always a tiny risk that you'll hurt yourself, no matter how experienced you are. Why take a chance?

>>664422
>when wood is wet you split in four to increase surface and expose dry middle.
Yes, and when it's extremely wet, you split in four (or eight) and then remove the wet outer layer from each piece.

>>664575
>Don't know about you, but I'd never NOT found dry kindling.
It depends on where you live. If it's been raining for weeks it's practically impossible to find anything dry.
>>
>>664442
i promise you that youve never used that in any serious context. whenever you felt serious about using it, it was because the utilitarian in you couldnt admit that you brought a lump of steel for fucknothing.
>>
>>664360
I baton With my my strommeng same kniv very very often, it has taken it for 4 years now and still holding up very well. don't honestly see the problem unless you use cheap mall ninja knives.
>>
>>664415
That isn't a knife. That's a froe with a knife handle. lol
>>
>>664442
At least just buy a nice splitting maul head. That way you at least have the option of adding a handle to it.
>>
>>664612
This.

I don't even use a hatchet in the woods. There's no logs that need split. I don't make big fires. I just use my rocket stove which only needs twigs no larger than the average adult's thumb thickness. I have a knife but the most wood it touches is just for whittling and stick feathering.

>>664546
Also, this.

I can't really think of a feasible emergency scenario where batonning wood with your knife is actually a viable option. Oh perhaps you are trucking log rounds into an arctic tundra in winter and the truck breaks down 100s of miles from the nearest tree. So, you have to baton the fuck out of some log rounds to start a fire to survive. But, how fucking likely is that going to happen?
>>
>>665022
>It depends on where you live. If it's been raining for weeks it's practically impossible to find anything dry.

I live in a temperate rainforest. Rain is a major thing here. The most I've ever had to do was start a fire at 2am in a massive thunder storm. It had been raining/drizzling for an entire week when that largest storm hit. All I had was a small pot, ziplock bag of seasonings, a knife, and a magnesium fire starter with built-in ferro rod. I dug a Dakota fire hole with a little water dike around its side and rounded up anything I could find that was remotely dry. I didn't baton anything. I used the magnesium fire starter, knife, and stuff from anything slightly sheltered. It took me about 30 minutes to get a fire started. I had soup made of rainwater, seasonings, and local edible vegetation. This was all done without any shelter cover whatsoever and it was fucking pitch dark aside from lightning.

You need to go out and learn how to do stuff like this before saying it can't be done without, "x".
>>
>>665022
>If it's been raining for weeks it's practically impossible to find anything dry.
You don't know where to look. Yes your climate determines this, but if it's been raining for weeks on end splitting wood does no good if the bark isn't waterproof. Hint hint, not all bark is waterproof.
>>
>>664730
>>664730
>are we trying to justify the batoning as a technique
Exactly. Or in my case, trying to tell people you don't have to split wood 99.99999999% of the time and no one on this board has been in a life or death situation that REQUIRED splitting wood with a knife.
>>
File: 20150213_225859.jpg (979KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150213_225859.jpg
979KB, 2048x1152px
batoning memeing aside.

the only thing ive found where i find light batoning preferable is actually on fatwood.

although the dust that a saw will create can be nice but it is also very hard to position and easy to lose. and with an axe, even as small as pic related. it can be tricky to split it just right down to that lovely matchstick thickness. not that it cant be done, not at all.

but since fatwood pieces that you collect tend to be quite small, atleast they are around me, i find that a small batton tap with a knife gives me the precision i seek.
but that is about it really.

in my opinion even a small pocket/carving axe like pictured will vastly outperform a knife battoned through wood, in efficiency, ease of use and stress on the user/tool

but since it can be dificult to feather fatwood, i find "batoning" it into matchstick thickness bits to work great.

but doing it to get to firewood is just silly. sometimes very fun. but silly
>>
>>664415
at $160 USD you batoning autists can fuck right off with that useless bullshit
>>
>>664439
froe for precision splitting and woodworking

for survival and any other use case, axe

batoning proponents are fucking retarded
>>
>>664730
>Assuming splitting wood for a fire using batoning is a legitimate technique
It is not
>>
File: 12.jpg (679KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
679KB, 1600x1200px
>>665153
>for survival and any other use case, axe
Survival is not freetime activity where you get to pick your gear beforehand.

A larper may have an axe and no much other gear, but generally if you have an axe, you have full camping gear.

A dayhiker goes out with minimal gear and gets lost. That's where a batoning knife comes into the picture.

>>665165
You and the people who keep breaking their batoning knives are the same people. I can feel your frustration.
>>
>>665172
>Survival is not freetime activity where you get to pick your gear beforehand

Every outdoor activity where you may require survival techniques at some point is one where you can pick your gear beforehand you faggot

>>665172
>A dayhiker goes out with minimal gear and gets lost.
A minimalist day hiker with even an ounce of common sense will be carrying a 2-3" blade (ie a useful one) not some fuckhuge batoning piece of shit.

>>665172
>You and the people who keep breaking their batoning knives are the same people.
I have never broken a knife while batoning. However, I have more than 3 functioning braincells and can see that batoning is not a legitimate survival technique.

tl;dr I tried batoning once but it is too retarded to ever consider doing it again
>>
>>665183
>you faggot
>>665183
>some fuckhuge batoning piece of shit.
>>665183
>it is too retarded
>>665183
>I have more than 3 functioning braincells
Right yeah.
>>
>>665047
all knife makes have inexplicable failures (mostly because heat treat and internal fractures / tensions) and all knife makes have retard failures where the user simply doing it wrong.

unless the maker extensively tests the blade after heat treat and abuses it bad before polish and sharpening there is no way to tell it won't just break from the first whack.
>>
>>664358
wait, is this practice considered to be wrong?

it is literally the first thing I learned when handed a knife in the field in the army

I cannot for the life of me imagine why this could go wrong
>>
>>665122
>a life or death situation that REQUIRED splitting wood with a knife.

Name one that isn't like this shit in >>665072
>>
>>665209
well cheap ass sturdy trench knives are made for exactly shit like this and digging if nothing else at hand.
i heard from many soldiers the only thing they ever used the glock feldmesser is to dig holes.

problem arises when people want to baton everything and willfully ignore better options.

but sure it's a perfectly valid thing.
>>
>>664358
hoooooly fuck, Im >>664730 and >>664752

I hadnt even looked at the OP properly, I thought that it was just a curiously shaped specialty knife or something I didnt notice the giant fucking piece wedged in the wood, too funny.

>>665072
this here makes the most sense, wtf are you doing splitting wood in the first place. I can imagine in a situation where theres only a handful of full grown trees youd need the axe but in every other why arent you just foraging for small sticks or breaking them off of trees
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiySCS2NUdc
>>
>>665211
well we did use moras so...
>>
>>665172
>Survival is not freetime activity where you get to pick your gear beforehand.

Like when you are riding the bus home through the deep dark woods, it crashes, and all you are left with is your pocket knife, some chewing gum, and a book on 3rd grade reading. But, your teacher confiscated your pocket knife earlier in the day so you have to make a twig fire instead. And, all the other kids laugh at you or it because they brought their pocket froes and have nice fires.
>>
File: Pocket Hatchet.jpg (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Pocket Hatchet.jpg
236KB, 1024x768px
>>665172
>A dayhiker goes out with minimal gear and gets lost. That's where a batoning knife comes into the picture.

Why would you carry a knife on a day hike? Planning on stabbing someone? Oh, you have it jut in case it is needed and useful. Why not leave the knife at home and carry a small hatchet instead?
>>
>>665226
pls be trolling. pls.
>>
File: FB-as-a-hatchet-b.png (264KB, 520x292px) Image search: [Google]
FB-as-a-hatchet-b.png
264KB, 520x292px
>>665236
Why do you carry a knife?
>>
>>664358
Batoning is a questionable technique whose main purpose is the justification of its proponents (mall ninjas and reality TV consumers) owning and carrying impractical, comically large knives.

In almost every real-world outdoors or survival scenario, there is an more effective technique or tool not involving batoning.
>>
>>665242

Does this shit actually work?
>>
>>665219
what army? swede?
>>
>>665269
i feel like the lashing would make you lose so much energy

i also doubt it has enough heft to do any meaningful chopping.
>>
>>665289
There's no "feel" about it
It's a shit idea and it would work like absolute shit
>>
>>665289
>>665298
It'd be better to make a groove int he stick then slide the axe head into it and lash it. Then there's no unusual loss of force.
>>
File: out Triggering Device.jpg (37KB, 287x598px) Image search: [Google]
out Triggering Device.jpg
37KB, 287x598px
>>665298
>>665289
You could add a stone to the back side to give it weight.
>>
>>665315
>>665314

>glitter on a turd
>>
I've seen batoning in the Swedish armed forces a lot of times and I've never even heard of a knife breaking. Sure, it's not something that I'd prefer to do and I carry a small axe instead. But if you have nothing else and the place you're in isn't littered with good branches?
>>
File: QAKFpPF.gif (967KB, 490x367px) Image search: [Google]
QAKFpPF.gif
967KB, 490x367px
there is zero reason to baton anything ever. wood will burn if you throw it onto an already started fire.

>but my fire isn't burning well enough to throw a log on

so walk through the woods and pick up some twigs. there are millions of them lying everywhere. gather a giant pile of twigs, then a giant pile of finger sized sticks, then wrist sized, then a few logs and progressively feed the fire.
>>
>>665226
you arent wrong wrong, but the hatchet in your picture is a paperweight. 0 torque, 0 margin of error between your knuckles and wood. at that point id just carry the axe head and improvise a handle than use that tiny handle
>>
File: DSCF0533.jpg (136KB, 1138x170px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0533.jpg
136KB, 1138x170px
>>664358
Modern blades can take it. Knife makers baton too.
Saying that batoning in general is shit and abuse in every case, no matter what knife is the the old "Back in my days" grandpa of the Knife community.
>>664368
420 AISI blades are pretty nice for that purpose.
I batoned the shit out of this 30 dollar china chopper. Everything that is tough will do the job.
The Glock army knife is also perfect for this. It's made out of spring steel. Doesn't keep an edge but will not break. You can use it as throwing knife too.
This video is a prime example of how cheap butter knife steel is perfect for batoning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD41VjL1mek

He'll use the china blade after the expensive product fails.
>>
File: 1406673570565.jpg (156KB, 1280x1025px) Image search: [Google]
1406673570565.jpg
156KB, 1280x1025px
>>665630
So you're saying we need to keep useless shit knives to baton with.
>Designated batoning knife
this meme keeps getting more and more hilarious
>>
>>665630
>This video is a prime example of how cheap butter knife steel is perfect for batoning.

More like a prime example of why batoning is stupid and inadvisable in all cases.
>>
>>665630
Firstly , just say 420 stainless. Secondly, its not great for knives.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't think you understand how sharp a knife has to be kept, and the standards that a lot of /out/ holds their knives to.
420 stainless is just not worth packing. If you ever get to try out some well kept d2 or crmov you'll see a difference in what you're used to I'm sure.
If you're going to keep a specific item to baton with, why not a wedge? If you're keeping something for a singular purpose, and there is an item that is much better for that purpose, you really should go with the better tool.
>>
>>664358

annealing fail
the outdoor knifes market is a joke

all outdoor knifes are a total ripoff. they dont cost more than 12$ to produce and are priced for hundreds of dollars.
>>
>>665210
Read the whole post before you reply you fucking retard.

>no one on this board has been in a life or death situation that REQUIRED splitting wood with a knife
>>
>>665172
>breaking their batoning knives
I've never split wood with a knife. I've never split wood on a camping trip, and I've never been unable to start a fire. I've backpacked through constant rain for days on end and had fires as often as I wanted.
>>
>>665080
>You need to go out and learn how to do stuff
Thank you. I've been trying to emphasize this.
>>
File: 1409762893324.gif (758KB, 300x139px) Image search: [Google]
1409762893324.gif
758KB, 300x139px
Lol, has this thread been fucking pruned? Fuck you Mod. You delete posts from a shit thread and not just the whole thing?
>>
File: les.jpg (63KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
les.jpg
63KB, 720x404px
>>665895
There is no mod. Batoning threads remain as the main attraction here.

Here's my contribution, pic related. And this is from a true survival expert:
>"You can still split wood even if you don't have an axe."
>>
>>665215
Holy shit
>>
>>665891
This.

I'd be utter ashamed of myself if I batonned. Double so if the knife broke.
>>
>>665895
>>666343
some of my posts i also can't find
something is fishy
>>
>>664442
> /threading ur own post

Newfag plz
>>
>>664575
>The fuck is a feather stick?
>You've obviously got a knowledge problem
>>
>>664358
I made an opinion on batoning through experience.
2 years ago I had a pretty cool survival ex, in the coldest days of the canadian winter.
They told us we were going to camp innawoods so we brought the necessary stuff.
Arriving at site they tell us put all youre rucksacks in this truck and go over there for briefing.
Then they tell us that the rucksacks will stay in the truck all weekend and were only allowed whats in our pockets.
We get one (summer) sleeping bag per person.
-25 celsius
Mfw i thought it was going to be an easy ex
Struggle to make fire with our issued gerber 600s and our EDC knives
Spend th whole time daydreaming about my bk7 that stayed in the rucksack
My lesson was that a 6-7 inch knife is necessary in the winter in that kind of forest with lots of conifers and almost no dry windfall
And that a hand saw is king
>>
>>665072
What kind of chink shit knives are these people using?
>>
File: ng4527901.jpg (46KB, 628x354px) Image search: [Google]
ng4527901.jpg
46KB, 628x354px
>>665215
First I was like, then I kek'd. Thank you
>>
>>668653
any knife can fail from any maker.
most likely cause of failure is user error.
second most likely is tempering / annealing error.
third most likely reason for a knife to break is simply bad design and cutting corners (like gerber shit).

the steel material is the lest likely candidate truly.
>>
>>668663
A knife with proper material structure should not snap like that, even when subjected to shock. Knives are not infants, and they should not need to be babied.
>>
>>668682
it depends.
a blade hard enough will snap like glass if you stress it wrong.
doesn't even need to have faults in it.
and even a very shitty knife can do hardcore stuff if you are doing it right.

i have used many no-name kitchen knives for all kinds of shit even batoned with them or used them as a chisel, not one snapped on me.
>>
File: Batonning for Dummies.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batonning for Dummies.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>668653
>>668682
It is called, "abusing the tool".
>>
>>668693
True, however I personally would consider excessive hardness in a blade a fault on it's own. Elasticity is important, even for edge retention, and a degree of malleability is much better than having an edge that flakes and snaps off under duress.
>>
File: wake me up inside - YouTube.webm (643KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
wake me up inside - YouTube.webm
643KB, 640x360px
>>668694
>>
>>668694
breaking an srk is hard work anon
one must take it very seriously
>>
>>668694

amazing
>>
>>668712
indeed
ever since i saw that vid i think daily that maybe i should buy an srk even tho i don't particularly like the looks of it.
>>
>>664360
good post.
>>
>>664417
In Scotland we have to pretty much split everything lengthways because everything is so wet through the whole of the year.
>>
>>664511
Where I live it's the case 99.9999% OF the time.
>>
>>668694
What is this bad ass knife?
>>
>>665209
he could of twisted the blade to free it.

or that blades temper could of been royaly fuck by the twat of an owner and shoved it into a fire till it started glowing.
>>
So I'm going to go ahead and lay this bullshit to rest.

You know them native Americans? The ones who lived off the land full-time successfully for thousands of years? Yeah, them. They didn't baton shit, they didn't split wood or even cut down trees for firewood. They used deadfall, and never had to waste carry weight on some huge-ass piece of metal.
>>
>>668744
Survival Rescue Knife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTuL_v5hUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbwkgAkgaTo

Just a meme knife.
>>
>>668831

fantastic
>>
>>668818
That's kind of wrong. Native Americans didn't have the advance metallurgy techniques needed to smelt iron, so obviously they aren't going to have steel knives required for batoning. Additionally, the native American tribes of the Potomac region did cut down trees to use as dugout canoes, firework, long flexible branches for tanning, etc.
>>
>>665215
>caption says Himalayan cumshot
MY SIDES
>>
>>669002
you can baton a stone wedge hell you can baton hard wood.
steel blades are just the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>668818
Native Americans did split wood or even cut down trees for firewood and they also fucking lived in villages and towns, so idk why you are so obsessed with what people do in harsh environments.
>>
>>668732
Where might this wretched place exist?
>>
>>669002
>cut down trees
Wrong. They BURNED down trees because they didn't have metal tools until the arrival of the English.

>>669495
>did split wood
They were far more likely to burn medium sized log by slowly feeding it into the fire. Once again, they didn't have metal tools until the arrival of Europeans.
>>
>>669505
The use of slash and burn agriculture does not rest on the tools one has access too. It's been used by many cultures throughout the ages, even those with steel tools. Mostly because it's labor effective, and because the burned trees lend nutrients to the soil.

It's mostly a sign of underdeveloped agricultural knowledge and technique than anything.
>>
>>665172
That's not a real axe anyhow.
>>
>>665269
Not if you lash it that way. You're better off sawing or otherwise opening up a furrow in the haft and nocking the blade into that before lashing. Then add something for weight and you've got something almost as good as a normal hatchet.
>>
>>665630
>that fuck in a balaclava and hat going to town on a tree with a machete
It's only the intro and I've already kekked.

>critiques the out-of-the-box sharpening job
What?
>>
>>669505
fire is great for shaping wood
very chill.

but you have to scrape the char off polish it up and takes a long time compared to carving.
>>
>>669505
>Wrong. They BURNED down trees because they didn't have metal tools until the arrival of the English.

That's the method used for bamboo.
>>
>>669521
They didn't utilize slash and burn. They used fire to cut down trees because it was faster and far less labor intensive than trying to hack down 100+ year old trees with STONE tools. They applied mud to the upper part of the trunk to prevent the whole tree from going up in flames.

The used fire again to dig out canoes, and used shells to scrape the ash and shape the wood. It was extremely time consuming.
>>
>>669850
>They didn't utilize slash and burn
Better stated: I am not referring to slash and burn.
>>
>>664455
>that pic

i dont know that feel.
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.