[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ I need your help on finding the right flashlight. There

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

/out/ I need your help on finding the right flashlight.
There are tons and tons of flashlights out there but I don't know shit about anything that could help me pick one.

Do some of you experienced outdoor guys have any idea what's a 'good' flashlight?

It should be somewhat rugged
rather light
long lifetime (probably the only thing that really matters for me, i don't want no 2 hours battery lifetime)
medium sized
maybe different options like max lumen, low lumen and eco

im a cheap dude so I'd rather not pay over 100 bucks for a flashlight
>>
Dude, evrrybody will shill you to death on LED lights, but but a Preon P1 and get the Preon P2 and any Princeton Tec head lamp and be DONE!
>>
>>659578
I just bought an Energizer headlight. Found the same light I bought a week later hiking off trail. So now I have two. Great light. I will post pics when I get back to my gear storage facility, aka home.
>>
>>659578
I use a good ol' mag-lite
>dat aerospace-quality aluminum frame
>3x D batteries for maximum bludgeoning
>spare bulb
>>
>>659682
> dat '80's tech

Are you also spinning The Psychodylic Furs and watching The Breakfast Club... again?
>>
>>659698
on vinyl and beta-max, thank you very much
>>
File: Light.jpg (1MB, 1544x2080px) Image search: [Google]
Light.jpg
1MB, 1544x2080px
go with anything 18650 powered anon, My preferences are the O Light S20r for my EDC and the Nitecore HC30 for hiking/camping/out. The S20r is neat because it comes with a little dock that can recharge the light so if I use it during the day I just plop it on the dock on my bed side tabler along with my cell phone. I also taking it out as well as a backup. Super bright and if you use normal brightness levels it can give you 10 hours of light. The HC30 is the best headlight I ever used. First off it's light, the band is comfy, and its stupid bright. It also has a wider angle of light so its more of a flood then a spot light which is perfect when out on the trail. I leave it on the second brightness setting and it fills my field of view with light.

Also keep a 4 pack of freshly charged 18650 cells in my hiking pack just in case I need more power.
>>
>>659578
Fenix LD22. I love mine. Runs on AA instead of fancy batteries. Variable output.
>>
Streamlight Protac hl USB, it's incredibly bright (850 lumens) and can be programmed to run on the lower setting (85 lumens) for up to 12 hours. I have one and am thinking of buying another, best light I've ever owned.

http://amzn.com/B00T8J9FGO
>>
>>659578
Why do you want a flashlight? Headlamps are strictly better.
>>
>>659878
>Headlamps are strictly better.
I have a headlamp and when it rains or it's cold and your breath gets lit up they suck.
>>
File: 20160106_091838.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160106_091838.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Zebralight blows competition out of the water when it comes to the amount of time you get working with the light.

AA is still the most common battery so it's reasy to replace. It outperforms 18650 in many cases.
>>
>>659906
>AA outperforms 18650
Lol no.
>>
>>659578

I just picked up a 1300 lumens Duracell at Costco for like $15. It's pretty awesome.
>>
>>659919
I hate the 18600 and yes, no.

Friend of mine gave me a nice light for xmas, fucking 14500! I'll stuff a AA in it and be done!

I have an sul head lamp that takes a wierd 6.5v silver/mercury camera bat. Super high perf, but can't find the bat now.

Stick with AA, AAA tech. It's all you need.
>>
>>659952
AA Jew detected.
I'll stick with my high performance easily rechargeable, non leaking, current protected 18650, you AA Jew.
>>
>>659906

Yeah their SC5 - newest AA version - has killer lumen optimisation but not quite Li-ion performance.

+1 ZL. I use one of their 18650 lights. 1000 lumens to 0.05 lumens, can be used as a torch or a headtorch, good user interface, decent tints available.

>>659939

Yeah right.

>>659954

+1

>>659682

Incandescent torch? How fucking hipster are you.
>>
>>659881
>I have a headlamp and when it rains or it's cold and your breath gets lit up they suck.
Then you gota shitty headlamp. Try Petzl or Black Diamond instead.
If you out at night, a headlamp beats a flashlight, having your hands free is important. Try to pitch a tent or cook a meal with a flashlight, then you know why everyone uses a headlamp.
>>
>>659954
>high performance
define performance. number of lumens vs number of volts/batteries/... or battery lifespan or what? (also see below)
>easily rechargeable
man, fuck recharging. buy new batteries, AAs are less than 5 bucks a dozen. do the maths on how many spare SETS of batteries you can buy/bring for the price of one 18whatever + charger? are you poor and/or a hipster? (also realize how the idea of bringing more batteries and more spare batteries completely invalidates any "high performance" claim if you dont mind lugging them around)
>non leaking
remove leaked batteries, replace from one of the dozens of sets of spares you have bought.
>current protected
lol buzzwords. what is that even supposed to mean

what it comes down to is basically
>do you care to have your thing light (pun totally intended) or do you not care about your thing being a bit bulkier and maybe having a bit more weight in your pack?
(and really unless you're in some very specific situation, the latter should be the case)
if it IS the latter, then stick with AA. for the "cost" of what's listed there, you'll have a very decent and probably cheaper solution.
If on the other hand you need your power package to be extremely compact and don't mind spending a few more bucks, go for the spanky new flashy 18k series thingy.

you can probably tell I am not quite warmed up for those, and I like my crosscompatibility of my AAs. I tried to be fair though.

As for flashlights, imma shill for the led crowd.
Zweibruder LedLenser P14.2
4xAA
iirc 300lm "normal", 350 "boost" and 40 "eco" mode (which will last you a good 20 hours until you need to replace the batteries)
moveable lens for wide angle short range enlightment or tightly focussed long range beam of light.
can take some punishment (urbex, getting dropped, dog chews on it, etc)
>>
>>659578
take any flashlight from olight,fenix,nitecore,thrunite,sunwayman, klarus...any HIGH QUALITY chinese brand, they are cheap,very strong and weather resistant,for $100 you have a looot of choice.I recommend you the olight brand the most,folowed by fenix and than nitecore,thrunite and (have no experience with) sunwayman and klarus (but I think they are good and mosr rugged)
>>
>>659983

>man, fuck recharging. buy new batteries, AAs are less than 5 bucks a dozen.
>remove leaked batteries

Retard confirmed.
>>
File: 41XF9+KvKoL.jpg (19KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
41XF9+KvKoL.jpg
19KB, 500x279px
Any $30-40 headlamp recommendations? I was looking at the Black Diamond Spot/Storm.
>>
>>660383

I took that headlamp on a few wildland fires and it lasted after submerging it in some hot pots. Good stuff.
>>
File: DSCF0503.jpg (632KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0503.jpg
632KB, 1600x1200px
>>659978
>Then you gota shitty headlamp.
I guess so. I'll have to get a cheaper/shittier light
>>
>>660383
I got a bike light that came with a headlamp strap
External better but the thing is bright as fuck and fits well
I can link it if you'd like though the external battery is a bit of a pain unless you have a cheat pocket or backpack
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>660383
I have owned pic related for a couple months and no complaints so far. It has Hi/Lo red and Hi/Lo white. The white is pretty bright on high power. Headband is comfy enough for me. And you can change the angle of it so you can see down when you are working with your hands or straight ahead. Runs off 3xAAA, I have yet to burn through the first set. Feels light for having 3 batteries, I was expecting it to feel much more bulky.

I don't have a ton of experience with headlamps but other people have reccommended Princetons before. No complaints for $30. Only regret is that I didn't buy it years ago.
>>
I use an Olight R20. It's small and comfortable in my pocket, very light, extremely bright, waterproof, has a decent battery life, and can be charged with a USB cable.
>>
>>659983
Lithium primaries are nearly as expensive as rechargables, and alkalines are complete shit. With rechargables, I can carry a small solar charger with me and get enough of a charge to run a small light for a few hours, or my NODs for an entire night. 18650s are pretty light, and have the benefits of much higher capacity than AAs, far better cold performance, higher voltage, and better life under high drain.
>>
>>659698
>1986
>spinning The Psychodylic Furs and watching The Breakfast Club
>not spinning Talking Heads and watching Repo Man
Were you even there? Did you live in the suburbs or something?
>>
Rando headlamp. 15 bucks

200 lumen J5 tactical, 15 bucks

All your light needs for 30 dollars man.
>>
>that guy shilling AA batteries
Is this a meme on this board, or is he seriously this fucking dumb? New here.
>>
>>660580
Are you drunk or something? The other format I can't even remember the designation of because almost nothing uses it is the meme.

AAs are cheap and plentiful and everyone already has lots. Everything takes them, and you can get extras and a charger at any gas station anywhere in the known universe. That far outweighs any theoretical benefits of other formats for most people.
>>
>>660383
Have a Storm, is bretty good, dropped it in the water while kayaking once and it worked fine. Like that it takes 4 AAAs because my charger charges in pairs.
>>
>>660565
>Repo Man
Excellent movie. I'm gonna play it now.
>On mah VHS
>>
>>659919
I meant: This particular AA flashlight outperforms many 18650 flashlights at the moment.
>>
>>660580
It depends on the flashlight and the type of battery.

Zebra Light has done a tremendous optimization on their AA lights and their newest light from the series is just amazing. With a right AA battery it gets around many 18650.
Utility of a flashlight running on AA batteries cannot be unseen - you could even sacrifice many wall hanging watches to get another AA battery, to let your flashlight run some more time on a low setting... The availability of AA batteries makes AA flashlights extremely tempting to buy.
>>
>>660580
we are at least three according to my count

>>660561
>rechargables
Who said I recharge my batteries?
>alkalines are shit
Thats like, your opinion man
No srs, unless your only means of carrying shit when /out/ or oper8tin are literally your pants pockets, what exactly is the reason not to take a 20-pack of AA alkalines in your backpack? With that $8 investment I can power all three of my carry flashlights (primary P14 (see above), 2 secondaries nobrand backups) simultaneously for days straight, all day erryday.
When the oper8tin is done, RTB, discard used batteries (turn them in if you feel nice about the environment), buy new ones. Simple.

>>660589
>18something format is the meme
this
>>
>>660383
I've got a Spot, a Storm, and a Revolt. I like my BDs, but you've gotta get used to the single-button system.
>>
>>659578
Get one with a headstrap. Like a petzl or a BD or a princeton tec.
>>
>>661427
>what exactly is the reason not to take a 20-pack of AA alkalines in your backpack?
Because they're going to run down very quickly when they get cold
Because they're dead weight/volume once they run down
Because they're going to run down after a third of their normal capacity if I use them for anything that's high drain
Why not take 20 rechargables instead?
>>
>>661603
I was thinking about going with rechargable when I bought my last headlamp and little flashlight. But it sees limited use when I'm fishing or doing whatever. One extra set of AA's or AAA's should be more than enough. It's not like I'm out hiking and camping for a week.

What's the deal with those 3V batteries used in the real high-end flashlights? Is there anything special about them aside from being 3V?

And I never really trusted the rechargable AA's. Especially when a pair will last me a couple months in my little Mag Lite.
>>
>>660383
After about 10 years using a Petzl the strap finally broke and I had to upgrade. Just picked me up a Coleman "Multi-Color LED Headlamp" for $24 at Wally whurld. I love it. Has red and blue LEDs which is cool beans for muh scotopic vision and muh maps and bloodtrails. Doesn't have green which would have been cool beans but whatever.

MSRP is $40 but like I said, you can find it for under $30
>>
>>661608
What do you use a flashlight/headlamp for? I know that sounds like a stupid question/trolling, but I never use one. I setup camp and cook before dusk, sleep at night and wake at dawn. If I have to get up to piss or something, there's plenty of light to see what I'm doing.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>661614
Fishin at night
>>
File: IMGP5117a.jpg (497KB, 999x2080px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP5117a.jpg
497KB, 999x2080px
>>661614
And I use it for night tography
>>
>>660387
I have the exact same light on my wildland helmet right now... Where do you work?!
>>
>>661608
By 3volt, do you mean CR123As?
Those are my favorite non-rechargable. They work great in the cold, and last forever when I use them in my NODs. One you thing you have to be careful of is putting two from a different batch in one flashlight, because they can explode and fuck up your lungs forever.
www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?340028-Flashlight-Explosion

If you're looking for good rechargable AAs, I heard eneloops work pretty well.
>>
>>660565
Brother!

I was in a hurry, love you.

> and B52's, Missing Persons, don't make me start
>>
>>660580
What kind of shithold do you work at? Me company's office supply cabinet has AA, AAA, 9 V I can pilffer for free.

> they owe me
>>
>>661608

Dude just pack a set of spare RECHARGEABLE batteries if that's the case.

Eneloops are consistently awesome.

>>661603
Don't forget -
They leak
They're worse for the environment
They're more expensive in the long run
They don't handle continuous high drain as well as other chemistries

There is literally NO reason to buy alkaline batteries these days, if you are it's because you're lazy, stupid or both.

>>661427

This guy is actually retarded.

And 18650 is not meme either, higher voltage of Li-Ion chemistry but unlike the AA-sized 14500, they actually have a decent capacity for extended high drain use.

Personally I have an 18650, a AA, and an AAA format light as IMO they are the most useful platforms.
>>
>>661603
>they run down
Oh you mean instead of normally lasting ~15 hours before I even THINK about changing them, and much more until I actually switch them out, they will only last 10 or what? Doesn't matter because I have 20 of them in my pack.
>deadweight once empty
So are any other kind of batteries. Your point is?
>buh they so heavy
Quit pussing around. Apart from that, I do (and you should) carry around ten times that amount in water (and much more in volume) on any trip where you would need that many batteries, so that doesnt really matter.
Also, you can then just discard them into the correct trash bin (or in a lake if you dont give fucks).
>high drain makes them drain faster
duh. Use efficient shit maybe?
>Why not rechargables
Cuz they more expensive, I need to carry them BACK (wasnt that your point shortly before?) and I have to bother about recharging them. Your average charger takes what, 4 per recharging cycle? Too much of a hassle. And then there's >>661608
>And I never really trusted the rechargable AA's. Especially when a pair will last me a couple months in my little Mag Lite.

>>663179
>rechargable
see above
>they leak
Yes. Indeed they do. Like twice, in the last 15 years, for me. Great point.
>muh environment
Well then DON'T chuck them in a lake, but hand them in at one of those bins that you can find everywhere.
>more expensive in the long run
The VERY long run, yeah probably. But then, I am only going to live that many years.
Srsly though, yes, but its a recurring low cost investment vs one fairly high cost investment for one or two devices (assuming we're still argueing AA vs 18something) while all my other shit still runs the other type - and having to buy or manage more, different kinds of equipment (in this case batteries) complicates logistics.
>high drain
see above.
>your lazy
Never said I wasnt.

>retarded
pray tell why.
>not a meme because "decent capacity for high drain use"
see above.
>I use all of them so my opinion matters
so did I
>>
>>663674

You're just being pigheaded by refuting the other anons posts

>muh environment
>Well then DON'T chuck them in a lake, but hand them in at one of those bins that you can find everywhere.

The hierarchy of sustainability places AVOIDANCE before REUSE before RECYCLING.

It's not about recycling the batteries, its' about not using them in the first place.

Also, batteries should be recycled separately (not in a regular bin) so either you're throwing them outside, throwing them into a regular bin, or you're carrying them back anyway.

I'm not here to change the world one retard at a time (thankfuck) but the least you can do is refrain from spreading your opaque viewpoint...

>they leak
>Yes. Indeed they do. Like twice, in the last 15 years, for me. Great point.

If theres even a chance they leak why bother risking your electronics?

>more expensive in the long run
>The VERY long run

4 rechargeable eneloop aa = £8
12 alkaline aa = £2

In other words 1 eneloop is 12 times as expensive.

So you break even after 12 recharges. That is't ''A VERY LONG TIME'' as you state.

Plus the fact an eneloop can be charged up to 2000 times (apparently) means once you've recouped your initial outlay (omg £8 so much) you can still charge it another 1988 times....

>high drain makes them drain faster
>duh. Use efficient shit maybe?

its not about the thing thats using the power its about the battery chemistry and how it delivers power - google discharge rates/curves

Anyway, I'd rather smash my face into your moms vagina than reply to you again
>>
>>661608
>And I never really trusted the rechargable AA's. Especially when a pair will last me a couple months in my little Mag Lite.
Have you ever actually used modern rechargeables? Low-self-discharge NiMH are better than alkalines in pretty much every way.

>>663674
>Cuz they more expensive
not in the long term.
>I need to carry them BACK
You have to pack out your trash anyway, unless you're a complete redneck asshole, and I thought you said you didn't care about weight.
>and I have to bother about recharging them.
If you're so lazy that it's seriously too much trouble for you then I don't know what to say.
>But then, I am only going to live that many years.
So you have a terminal disease that leaves you too weak to put batteries in a charger and you're going to die within a year before the charger starts paying for itself? I'm sorry to hear that, but that doesn't make you any less wrong about pretty much everything you said.
>>
File: SC52-HiAlka.gif (44KB, 822x535px) Image search: [Google]
SC52-HiAlka.gif
44KB, 822x535px
Example comparing NiMH and Alkaline chemistries and their run times in a ZL SC52
>>
File: SC52-HiEne.gif (48KB, 822x535px) Image search: [Google]
SC52-HiEne.gif
48KB, 822x535px
As you can see the NiMH chemistry can take a drain for longer before it starts sagging.
>>
i've got eneloops and a Fenix Ld20, best buy ever. Long run time, good warranty (went diving/swimming with ld20, salt water in cut in button, replaced by importer for free)

buy a nice battery case, some extra eneloops, and you will never run out of batteries on the trail/out.
>>
>>663734
>have you ever actually used modern rechargeables?

No, I haven used them in at least 10 or 15 years. I'm sure they are decent now.

But I have no real use for them. Pretty much everything I own that I use alot has a built-in rechargeable battery. The only things I own that use regular AAA-D batteries are flashlight and remotes for my TV. I buy a pack of batteries like once a year.

I just realized how many responses that post got. When I was a kid and had a million things that ran on batteries, rechargeables were ok. But these days, I prefer stuff that charges with a USB cable if I use it more than once a week.
>>
>>663767
>>663768
Damn! thats a huge difference!
Thanks for bringing it up.

Do you have any info on why eneloop black (maybe called pro?) are preferred for ZL SC5 and not standard eneloop?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.