[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone offroad here? I have a Jeep Wrangler that I want to take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

Anyone offroad here? I have a Jeep Wrangler that I want to take off the pavement but I need tips on how not to total it once I do
>>
File: IMG_20140831_155809669-L.jpg (109KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140831_155809669-L.jpg
109KB, 800x451px
>>652105
Generally prefer the 1WD if i'm going offroad, but the truck does a fairly good job when I need the space.

Having the right tires makes a huge difference.
>>
Get a winch in case you get stuck.
>>
Do the easy stuff. Don't try to go out and run the Rubicon or something.
>>
Long time jeeper here- best advice I can give you is always get out and check sketchy stuff out first, not sure what kind of offroading your doing but generally look before you leap
>>
always have legit and sturdy tow points the last thing u want is to be stuck and have to destroy the vehicle trying to recover it
>>
lower your tire pressure when you go offroad. It increases traction.
>>
Stay in the city and get a prius. ;)
>>
When i was shopoing for an /out/mobile, I noticed that the Wranglers had *very* short legs (small gas tanks and crappy MPG).

Has this changed? I bought a 4wd 4runner for this reason, and I have not been disappointed. It's bulletproof, gets decent mileage, has close to 400 miles range, and i can sleep in the back of it if I have to. And I've had to.
>>
>>652105
1. RTFM about using 4HI and 4LO
2. Do you have lockers? Limited slip rear diff at least?
3. Air down your tires to 20psi. Carry an on board air pump to refill before getting back on pavement.
4. Bring a friend and a tow strap
5. Carry tools and spare fluids to self-service
>>
>>655627
I really like the 4 runners but I got a good deal on a 4x4 Cherokee and couldn't pass it up. I also like being able to sleep in it in a pinch.
>>
>>652105
The primary advantage of lift is being able to fit bigger tires. Bigger tires = more ground clearance off differential
>>
>>652105
>on how not to total it
lulz on the subject line.
There are so many types of off-roading.
Sand
Mudding
Rock
Woods/hill
are probably the 4 biggest.

Airing down is necessary in most cases. Understanding 4Hi vs 4Lo is huge

You should carry a tall jack, a board to use under jack, a shovel, a compressor, a winch, matching spare (not donut).

That is bare minimum as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>652105
don't wheel a vehicle you're afraid to damage.

that is all.
>>
File: image.jpg (254KB, 717x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254KB, 717x960px
>>652105
All depends where you wanna go and what type of wheeling you plan on doing.

You should already have front and rear tow points which is a huge plus.

A winch offers great piece of mind when you're out and about. It'll get you out of a lot of sticky situations should you find them.

A lift is ideal for the additional ground clearance, but more importantly, a lift offers more space for larger tire what will give even more useful clearance.

Lockers are great, but expensive. I've been wheeling through some really rough stuff, and am open front and rear.

Armor will help to keep your jeep in good shape, but it adds a lot of weight over stock equipment.
>>
File: image.jpg (618KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
618KB, 1632x1224px
>>657805
>>652105
What model Wrangler do you have?

Some of the stuff you could do right now for just some basic trails is to lower your tire pressure. This will dramatically increase traction and will also soften the ride a bit. Just remember, you'll need to air back up when you're done.

You can also get some quick disconnects for your sway bar to increase your flex some.

The key is to start slow, get used to how your rig handles, and be sure that you can get out of what you go into. Generally, you shouldn't go alone. Parts break, getting stuck is too easy, and it's always nice to have someone to share the experience with.
>>
File: image.jpg (207KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207KB, 720x960px
>>657809
>>
File: image.jpg (845KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
845KB, 2048x1536px
>>657811
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.