[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fiskars x27

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: fiskars-x27.jpg (4KB, 453x111px) Image search: [Google]
fiskars-x27.jpg
4KB, 453x111px
anyone have one of these?

getting one for christmas and i'm looking forward to it. is it up to the hype?
>>
op here

thanks
>>
No the handle cracks it's Fiskars what did you expect?
>>
>>651278
Fiskars is a world-class, best in breed brand. All of their products are A+ Tier
>>
File: IMG_20151222_173031936.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151222_173031936.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
I have one and have had it for 3-4 or so years maybe?

I absolutely love it, light so you fatigue less quickly
Due to the light weight sometimes you do have to swing hard to get through the bigger stuff
The flair at the bottom of the handle keeps it from ever coming out of your hands and I love how the handle in general feels

Have had many many overstrikes and nothing has broken,

My one complaint is the steel in the head itself is a bit soft, you can't (read shouldn't ) use the back side of it as a sledge because it deforms quickly
The edge itself isn't the best , if you hit a rock or the ground or anything else it will most likley dent the edge

That being said, with any file its super easy to get the edge back into decent shape,
Wipe it down and dry it off after all use or it will quickly develop surface rust
(The coating that comes on it smears off quickly)

Is it a lifetime tool?
Maybe not because of the soft steel though I expect to get 20+ years out of mine
Is it a good tool?
I would say definatley
I'm planning on buying a second one as a backup
>first year I had it processed maybe a cord of wood with it
>second year 2-3 cords of wood processed with it
>third year once again 3-3.5 cords processed with it
>this year ive already processes a bit over 4 cords with it and I have another 4 waiting for next year , or over the winter if the weather stays nice

From right to left
My fiskars splitting axe
Wedge
8lb stanley sledge head on a brand new handle (just done within the last week
8lb unknown brand splitting maul, a family members, but I had been using it as a sledge until I just got mine put together
(Splitting with it is pretty shit )
cheap axe that's only use is to split roots etc in the ground and abuse
>>
File: SFA.jpg (158KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
SFA.jpg
158KB, 612x816px
>>651269
>pic related
A lifetime tool. As far as Axes/mauls go "Gransfors Bruk" is the beginning and end of this segment of tools.

This is your only choice if you want a heritage-quality tool that could be given to generations in your family.

That aside, the fiskars would fill your niche if longevity and quality were unimportant factors
>>
>>651345
>Is it a lifetime tool?
>Maybe not because of the soft steel
Another reason why it's not a lifetime tool is because you can't replace the handle if it breaks
>>
>>651357
Uh no Autine axes are superior in every way
>>
>>651359
sure you can in a pinch.
you can wedge the axe head into a wooden handle stone axe style the shape of blade is perfect for that.
so if you life depends on it you can still use it it won't look nice sure but if you are ever near civilization you can buy an other one.
also the handle only breaks from insane abuse and even then it's hard doing.
>>
>>651362
kek yeah 20 times the price i bet they are better in every way. but do they cut 20 or even 2 times better? i don't think so.
>>
>>651357
the way i see it if i was going to spend the rest of my life i wouldn't want a fiskars i would pay 2-300 dollars for a good axe.
in every other scenario i would go with a fiskars. the more casual the use the more likely i would go cheap.
>>
>>651363
a tool that you have to nigger rig barely counts
>>
>>651372
*spend the rest of my life /out/
>>
>>651373
you have to nigger rig in the off chance it breaks in your lifetime and you can't replace it immediately.
the nigger rigging is just my answer to "hurr you can't trust your life on them" sure you can it would work rather well as an improvised tool.
>>
>>651269
They are...shit.
>>
>>651269
Have you figured out that /out/ is quite divided on this issue?

Personally, I love my Plumb hatchet with the all-steel construction. That's another one which raises hackles around here.
>>
They're shit. Our king hates it too

http://youtu.be/Sl2jFNE0M7Y
>>
>>651269
>Used fiskars for years
>stayed sharp
>got the job done
>got new "real" axe cause I like pretty wood
>stays sharp
>gets the job done

Don't listen to these fuckers, anon. Does the job and does it pretty well. I especially enjoyed the consistent sharpness from mine without having to tend to it too much. Well worth the money. I have yet to have anyone give me a valid reason a 300 dollar axe is any better functionally than a 50-100 dollar one anyway.
>>
possibly
>>
File: Buster by Fiskars.jpg (254KB, 1920x745px) Image search: [Google]
Buster by Fiskars.jpg
254KB, 1920x745px
Fiskars is the Glock of axes. People either love them or hate them. I've owned three (two that I bought in Finland and one here in the US) and I've never had any issues - other than the US Fiskars being a bit dull out of the box. I assume that the ones sold in the North America are made locally by Gerber. Gerber is a subsidiary of Fiskars and is to blame for most of the bad things you hear about Fiskars online.

Pros:

>Durable glass-reinforced polymer handle
>very low price

Cons:

>The steel used in the blade is so-so according to serious axefags
>If you somehow manage to break the handle, you're fucked
>clunky sheaths

Fiskars makes some awesome shit. It's the biggest manufacturer of aluminum boats in Europe and has delivered bayonets, combat knives, entrenchment tools (shovels) etc. to armed forces around the world, including the Finnish Defense Forces and the USMC.
>>
>>651613
My fiskars (bought in America) is stamped made in Finland on it
>>
File: 20151205_123150.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151205_123150.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
Buy an old kelly, plumb, sager, collins etc and clean it up.

Your into $400 territory to get an axe that performs anything like them.
>>
It's always been fine for me, but I only ever use it for regular old wood splitting. Handle at the bottom could use a little bit more grip I guess but that's it. I take a Lansky puck to it like once a year and it's still going strong.
>>
>>651269
Very excellent for splitting wood and other tasks. Handle is well made. Fiskars are one of the only brands that are truly concerned about ergonomics and innovations, god bless Finland.
>>
>>651269
Also especially recommend their shovels. Long wonderful non-manlet handles
>>
>>651723
And their cheapo Kitchen knives as well as their yellow sturdy scissors. Most homes in my country have a set of them.
>>
>>651642
to my knowledge all fiskars axes made in finland
everything else is easily made in china.
also fiskars had problems with the heat treat for their axes basically they got very inconsistent results in the past. some chipping and some dulling from soft steel.
mine seems to be the works perfect version cause i hadn't had to sharpen it yet used it for hours you can still shave with it.
>>
>>651744
Mine tends to have minor dulling if abused , but is super easy to reprofile, and even if it is perfect, its a splitting tool, it doesn't have to be sharp enough to shav with
>>
>>651856
yeah it excels in splitting but it pretty much has a knife edge not very robust but damn it cuts deep.
>>
>>651868
Just as a question, have you tried splitting with a normal maul after years of fiskars? I now find it relitivley difficult
>>
>>651933
never tried a maul but i used an old splitting axe
it was more like a hammer it often broke the wood and sent it flying all around
>>
>>651673
This desu. My $15 thrift store Plumb will out perform any modern $200 wonder steel bs axe.
>>
>>651366
The steel is metalurgically superior, the heat treat is superior, the price is a investment in a lifetime tool. You probably buy cheap fucking wrenches too.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-24-17-05-24.png (5MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-24-17-05-24.png
5MB, 1440x2560px
>>652130
They will never understand...
>>
>>652130
Fatswordsman, is that you? Your hatchet review is a shit.
>>
>>652130

man
you are an idiot
>>
>>651269
I have on - it`s very good , also usefull as a anti nigger self def. tool
>>
>>652203
Fuck off with the racism.
>>
>>652209
He's not racist you white devil he is black and therefore allowed to use that word. You cowardly fucks would never say that to a black man's face because because he would stomp your ass for presuming that you have the right to dictate what he can say. This ain't the plantation cracka
>>
OP, i have one. (a newer model though, all black handle.)

Does exactly what it's intended to do. Me and a few buddies got drunk and used it, a few overstrikes, one massive overstrike. No damage at all.
>>
File: IMG_20151223_135320.jpg (827KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_135320.jpg
827KB, 2048x1536px
The people that have them and use then, like them.

The people that don't have them and don't use them, RRRRREEEEEEEEEEE with opinions.

I have them and use them, they work.
>>
>>652410
The only thing I'd say is that the smallest one is almost too small to be useful.

Anything bigger than the smallest will be good
>>
>>652394
>Me and a few buddies got drunk and used it,

Holy shit that's a good way to die or at a minimum lose a few toes.
>>
>>652606

Doubt it, its a pleb tier fiskars.
>>
>>652607
That would be an interesting test. What fails first: neckbeard flesh or a plebe fiskars.
>>
>>652617
Flesh, I nearly took off a toe once with a glanced swing
Luckily I was wearing muh boots
>>
>>652130
i'm arguing that for casual use the differences are negligible and the price gap is too fucking huge to be rationalized in any way.
>investment in a lifetime tool
fiskars axes have a lifetime warranty
you break it send it back or maybe send a picture they send you a new axe.
>>
>>652130
>You probably buy cheap fucking wrenches too.
kek you got me i use the toolbox i bought in ikea for 3$ it has an adjustable wrench of dubious quality i have been using that toolbox fore everything for 5 years now.
>>
File: toolbox.jpg (19KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
toolbox.jpg
19KB, 300x225px
>>652641
pic related this old version is what i got.
not sure if it was $3 or $5 but it has everything you need in a household minus maybe the drill and the superglue.
>>
>>652606

Nobody was so fucked up that they'd be a threat to themselves or anyone else.
>>
>>652410

You know that reeee thing. It makes you seem very autistic.
>>
>>651269
My dads had one we used for about a year and the head broke off. Lost the receipt fuck those Swedish faggots
>>
>>651269
>it up to the hype?
What hype are you talking about. Everyone thinks they're crap. I personally hate Fiskars axes for their shitty steel and blade profile, but I think the splitting axe range is ok and in a way, better than real axes as the handle can take some real punishment before breaking.

Merry Christmas and happy splitting with that axe!
>>
>>652894
What's wrong with being autistic you edgelord?
>>
>>653018
most people that hate them hate them for the handle.
many complains that the long hollow handles tend to resonate a lot which makes it uncomfortable.
the blade profile is not bad in fact very good for splitting and the steel is not bad either as in like gerber chineese crap. it's nothing special tho.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.