[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping mat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2863.jpg (413KB, 1303x570px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2863.jpg
413KB, 1303x570px
Does anyone have any recommendations for sleeping mats?

I used to have an old army one which was decent, except it seemed really big and heavy for what it was. I carried it rolled up under my pack and it was so wide that it would get caught on trees/rocks/etc. all the time. A couple years ago I switched to a commercial one that's a fraction of the weight and packs up waaay smaller, but after using it over and over my main complaint is always the same-- it provides next to no padding. I always have a hard time getting to sleep on such a hard surface and my hips and knees are always sore the next day.

I'm kind of thinking about getting another milsurp one and cutting a few inches off of either side to make it lighter and more compact, since those are cheap and durable. I'd like to hear your ideas and recommendations though.
>>
Sleeping mats suck. All of them. They seriously just aren't meant for comfort.

They may provide decent insulation, and are durable, but man I ache when I sleep on them.

Get an inflatable pad. They're so much more comfortable, mats can't even compare.

My pick is the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm. It's super comfy, and insulated so it's actually warm to sleep on. They're about $200.

If you want to spend less, you can get ones that aren't insulated.

You can't go wrong with the Xtherm though. It's worth the money.
>>
>>651242
Plus... this thing packs down to smaller than a Nalgene bottle.
>>
>>651242
This. If you're really worried about insulation and can handle another pound, take both a mat and a cheaper inflatable, then you won't break the bank,
>>
Up north here we use sleeping mats with foam and on top of that we use an inflatable mat.
>>
>>651242
Neoairis the shizzle
>>
Thanks for the comments everyone.
>>
>>651230
Mats aren't meant for comfort, they're just insulation. But the main advantage they have is that they can be cut down. I take a blue Mylar mat cut to the width of my handlebars. I have several inflatables but when you go on long trips like I do you just can't risk getting a hole and losing all that insulation. My newest setup is a cocoon hammock. The insulation doesn't compress, so there's no need for a pad.

If comfort is a major issue, pile up leaves or pine boughs under your pad. Just please use freshly fallen, don't cut live trees.
>>
>>651325
>Just please use freshly fallen, don't cut live trees.
That is fucking stupid, cutting live spurs growth on trees, same as pruning. Just don't OVER cut one vs cutting several
>>
>>651426
Well, you're right. But most people don't know how much is the right amount to leave intact, and telling people people to cut boughs off trees will inevitably result in a lot of dead trees. If you're in a survival situation, sure, fuck it. But for the camping hordes, it's not sustainable.
>>
>>651230
Ridge rest or nothing.
>>
>>651230
I've been using a cheap thermarest trail scout. It's working out pretty well so far.
>>
>>651433
The right amount to cut off is how ever much you want. When stringing hammocks you want as much fresh evergreen as possible. Think the size of 4 Xmas trees. Stack em up under your hammock for insulation and be toasty all night. The next day you can burn them
>>
Man, these hentai ads on this site are giving me cancer...
>>
No, maybe it's called manga or anime? I forget...
>>
File: 1295.jpg (24KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
1295.jpg
24KB, 500x359px
>>651782
>hentai ads
The J-list ads that have been here at least 8 years?
>>
>>651791
Yes. I however have only been here a few months.
>>
File: 1447399474969.gif (479KB, 434x444px) Image search: [Google]
1447399474969.gif
479KB, 434x444px
>>651842
>only been here a few months
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.