[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Climbing ropes for non-climbing things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 230.jpg (13KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
230.jpg
13KB, 230x230px
Hey /out/, I'm looking for an inexpensive and short climbing rope to use for scrambling and urbex, but the only ones I'm finding online are at least 35 meters. What do you use when you're only looking for about 20 m of rope or otherwise on a budget? Also, those of you who use climbing rope for urbex, do I need to invest in a harness or is tying one from rope fine?
>>
>>651127
>What do you use when you're only looking for about 20 m of rope
You use 35m
>tying harness from rope
If you hate comfort and want to tie it anew every time you want to use your rope, yeah sure.

>inexpensive rope and harness
Second hand, thrift stores, craiglist, ebay, season's end sales, etc
Although I wouldn't cheap out on rope and a harness if I were you.

And for your sake, I hope you know how to climb safely.
>>
File: tie_harness_5.jpg (29KB, 436x525px) Image search: [Google]
tie_harness_5.jpg
29KB, 436x525px
Sorry to crush your spirit, but this is literally "I'm going to kill myself by falling: the thread."

You should at a minimum go to your local rock gym and learn to belay. And yes, if you're going to be trusting a rope with your life, you should really get a harness. It's not the 3rd edition of Freedom any-more, harnesses have been widely accepted since the 80s.

Pic semi-related, it's what we don't do anymore.
>>
are you going to be properly leading on it, or anchoring it from above and using it as an extra point of contact? that will affect whether you want dynamic (stretches up to 33%) or static (stretches <5%) rope. if you might fall more than 5-10 feet on it, go with dynamic to absorb the load, if the ropes going to be fixed and you won't fall more than a foot or two, get the one that stretches less so you aren't needlessly working extra.

either way, climbing gyms and shops and stores like rei sell climbing rope by the foot.
>>
>>651161
swami belts haven't been phased out for safety reasons as much as for comfort reasons. they're still used in situations where it's easier to carry 20' of webbing than a harness-i.e. canyoneering where you don't expect to need a harness, but want to have an emergency option, or urbex where you want to travel small and light.
>>
>>651166
I just worry about a beginner trying to tie one up, doing it wrong, and ending up kill.
>>
>>651127
Yeah, you're gonna die. If not from an improperly rigged harness/rappel setup, then from choosing the wrong anchor, then from having too short a rope and getting stuck mid-rappel with no way to ascend, then from using this newfound 'mobility' to go to more hazardous places and do riskier things.

Just don't. There are lots of places to go climbing/reappelling without exposing yourself to the litany of crap that comes with urbex and industrial access.
>>
just practice parkour and learn how to land lmao
that's what all the urbex cool kids do anyway
>>
>>651199
>>651159
>>651161
Thanks for being honest guys, and yes I do know how to tie a webbing harness and properly belay, I go to a rock gym nearby now and then. I was just curious (and cheap) about using climbing gear for things that aren't straight rock climbing.
>>
>>651127
Climbing ropes are meant to stretch, so that you don't die when you take a lead fall.
You can get static canyoneering lines for much cheaper.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.