[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firestarting tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: SadTrenchGerman.jpg (79KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
SadTrenchGerman.jpg
79KB, 500x500px
I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to the outdoors, and i cant for the life of me get a fire started. I've done a ton of research and know all the steps, but i never get anything going and it always dies off before i reach pencil sized sticks. Could you guys provide some tips for an inexperienced outdoorser?
>>
>>650179
If your fire is dying before pencil sized sticks use more small stuff and keep feeding it. Hey larger sticks and material positioned above and to the side of the pile that's on fire. You need conductive and radiant heat being absorbed into larger sticks. A good fire is all in prep. You need either tinder/kindling with a high heat and fire load (pine, birch bark) or a ton of it and to keep feeding. Practice how you build the fire.
I like to use some med sized sticks to build 3 sided square, with pencil szedw on top and a small triangle of pencil sized w tinder and kindling inside the pyramid. All of the building/feeding happens inside the 3 sided square, allowing heat to pass up thru into the material above. As bottom begins to become self sustaining, I put larger sticks thumb size, two to three finger size, handful of wrist size against the pyramid and add larger wrist size outside the original square in a classic log cabin style.

Not "boy scout" standard, but I've been cooking over fires for years and so long as my prep is solid, I've never had a fire fail to light.

Also, once the seat of the fire is really getting going, I'll blow on it and or use my sitting pad as a improvised bellows. Fire loves oxygen
>>
>>650179
Practice, practice, practice. Also, a favorite of mine is to take a stick, and rub it in tacky sap, adding strands of dried tree moss and more sap until it's about the size of your thumb. Its a decent amount of work to build up, but it's an amazing wet/dry firestarter that will burn for a long time.
>>
>>650225

>3 sided square

Solid stuff tho.
>>
>>650179
I got you OP next time you have a paper egg carton save it. Get a bag of the plane cheap tea candles, large cotton balls, and petroleum jelly. Cut the top off the carton and pull the foil off of 12 of the candles. Set you oven to low 200-250 ish degrees. Put one defoiled candle in each section of the bottom of the carton and put it in the oven until they melt. It helps to have it on a small tray for handling. Set the petroleum jelly near the oven vent so it melts or at lest gets soft. Place a large cotton ball in each puddle of melted wax and let it cool. Spread petroleum jelly on the top of each cotton ball until it is saturated. When you need to start a fire fluff the petroleum soaked part of one of the segments up and give it any kind of spark it will instantly light and burn for several minutes. If the wood you are trying to light doesn't catch with one of these under it I don't know what to tell you. I know this was a little wordy but trust me these are the cheapest most reliable easily lit home made fire starters I know of. You can use dryer lint and wax or oil but I like these because they are so easy to light. When I get home I will make an infograph if you want.
>>
>>650179
candlewax
chop into wet wood so the drs inside is exposed
feather it up light candle and dip feathers or sticks in wax
it will burn
>>
>>650179
start with small stuff and gradually increase in size. dry material if possible.
>>
>>650682
Exact opposite of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X--GCWRN0IA
>>
>>651219
5:30
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.