[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone read "Becoming Wild?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: event_book_becomingwild.jpg (797KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
event_book_becomingwild.jpg
797KB, 667x1000px
Has /out/ read this book? I just finished reading it and would recommend it to other outdoor enthusiasts. It's about this women and her friend who left society to live off the land out in the Pacific Northwest. The idea is nothing new, alot of /out/ types dream of doing this but few actually spend more than a few days or maybe weeks. These people were out there for a good year and a half or so. What did you think?
>>
Depends on the gear she brought and the circumstances of her tramp for me to have any interest.
>>
>>650138
Circumstances arnt to interesting to be honest, they kind of just wanted to do it. They had a pretty good mix of gear including some modern stuff, especially at first, but intended on living as primitive as possible. By the end they found a balance somewhere in the middle of modern and primitive. All their firemaking was done by hand. They also made bows, spears, fishing hooks, traps, etc like the natives used to and, other than a few treats from people they met, all their food came from the land. It was quite the accomplishment I thought. One of those things people talk about doing but never actually do.
>>
>>650144
Sounds boring
>>
>>650150
I guess you have to have a certain appreciation for the skill involved. I mean, they killed freaken grizzly bear with a spear. Alot of people go /out/ with a gun or bear spray because they are afraid to even encounter one.
>>
>>650150
you are the reason "reality" television exists.
>>
>>650183
Probably a Bear grylls fanatic
>>
>>650224
"Survivalist"
>>
>>650130
sounds kind of like "My side of the mountain"
it was my favorite book as a child
>>
>>650130

This kind of shit pisses me off. Stop going out into the last pristine wilderness to have your midlife crises.
>>
>>650394
Midlife crisis are natural.
>>
>>650396

No, they are the product of unnatural, unhealthy psychology.
>>
>>650394
this

newflash: your life won't suddenly have meaning, you'll just be occupied by fucking surviving 24/7 instead of browsing facebook. We have a society so advanced some people can't handle it and dream of having a strict plan for every hour of their day so they'll have to make no choices or decisions.
>>
>>650183
I've never once watched reality television, unless you count an episode of random game shows I tried to give a chance, the book sounds exactly like the boring premise of a boring reality tv show
>>
>>650402
Read the book. The author actually found alot of meaning in life. It changed her quite abit. She couldn't even integrate back into city society when she returned and in only a few months moved back to a remote community near the survival spot. She ended up building her own cabin and living a pretty modest life taking people /out on "eco tours" to experience British Columbia like she does.
>>
>>650439
As a survival and outdoor enthusiast I thought it was interesting, so I'm sharing because I'm sure there are other people that may as well. If this kind of thing doesn't interest you, don't read it then. Why even comment?
>>
File: TDIlogo.png (20KB, 220x129px) Image search: [Google]
TDIlogo.png
20KB, 220x129px
>>650439
then you would love reality TV.
Try Man v. Wild, Survivor, Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant and Cake Boss.
>>
>>650439
What /out TV or books do you find "interesting" than annon? Any recommendations?
>>
>>650451
>The author actually found alot of meaning in life.

Ugh.
>>
>>650552
>being this hopelessly cynical
Get a life
>>
>>650130
Its not hard in the Pacific northwest. There's berries everywhere, lots of fishing lakes, pines are perfect for shelters and drop dry firewood daily.

I've stayed weeks at a time, just smoking fish and sun drying berries, because I was eating well enough on just cat-tail and wild rice soup.
>>
>>650670
I bet you are not over 16
>>
>>650638

Cynicism has nothing to do with it. "Finding meaning in life" is a meaningless phrase.
>>
>>650400
Nah, unhealthy is when you have your crisis of mortality at eight years old.
>>
>>651249

Any crisis whatsoever is unhealthy.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.