[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking tent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 612661.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
612661.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Hello /out/

I'm in the market for a new tent for my outdoor adventures. I'm involved in a local scout troop and go camping fairly often with them, along with recreational camping and outdoors activities with family/friends, and setting up my five man tent by myself is a pain when it's dark and raining.

What I need is a small two man tent, light enough for backpacking yet sturdy enough for strong winds and weather. I don't plan on bunking with anyone but it's nice to have the option in case someone forgets a tent, and also space to get my gear out of the rain should I need it. I'm 6'2" so pretty vertical walls are necessary.
Obviously I don't want to break the bank on a tent, but I understand that cheap tents are usually cheap for a reason. I'm thinking $80ish max however next paycheck I might be able to up the max a bit.

I was looking at my local scout store earlier today and saw a very neat tent set up in the main lobby that was just what I'm looking for: http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/camping/shelters/tents/tent-bsa-eagle-crest.html#.VnIDTRUrKHs

However that's out of my price range, I did some looking around on the internet and wasn't able to find anything similar that's in my price range that was of good build quality.

Does anyone have any tents to suggest?

Thanks.
>>
http://www.rei.com/product/878519/rei-half-dome-2-tent
This weighs much less
>>
Woot has hammocks on sale, and their tarp. Hammock for $20, tarp for $16. Add some straps and you've got everything for about $55.

I know it's not a tent, but it is an option.
>>
>>647832
Eureka Apex 2. Best tent at that price point I've laid my hands on yet. Simple, freestanding, pockets, attic, good, spacious double vestibule fly, great quality, vent, not too heavy. It ain't featherlight, but I love the thing and it is perfect going on 6 years of use.
>>
>>647844
Thanks, I was looking at that one but the reviews of newer ones say the pole design is crappy.
>>647853
Thank you, but I do need a tent though, a hammock was under consideration for awhile but I decided against it.
>>647858
Thank you, I actually have that one (a newer one) and it's too small for me. Thank you though.
>>
A little above your $80 budget but the mounainsmith morrisson 2 tent is awesome. Im 6'3 and have no problems. Ita a true 7x5 dome tent. Has doors on either side ( a great feature, no more crawling over your partner for late night peeing). It also has two usable vestibules.
>>
>>647905
Same measurements as the Apex I posted. Apparently your 6'3" is different that his 6'2". Personally don't get it. Is he asking for something he can stand up in?
>>
>>647905
Thank you, I'm checking it out right now.

>>647913
I don't know what difference there is between yours and mine, but my head and feet touch the sides and that's a problem when it rains. There's some room to move diagonally in it, but with a pack to my side that room is severely limited and impossible with someone next to me.
>>
>>647913
My apologies, I just checked and it appears that I have a smaller version of this tent, it looks identical but is over a foot shorter length wise. I will look further into this tent, thank you.
>>
>>647928
Dude, you're too reasoned and polite to talk shit to. Abandon thread!
>>
File: LS2.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
LS2.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
Taking a moment to piggyback off OP's thread here, does anyone have any experience or opinion on the Ledge Scorpion 2 tent? Thanks.
>>
2 days left: http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/give-the-gift-of-camp-gear
>>
>>647976
I see that people are giving it positive reviews on amazon. However what struck me instantly is the netting above the tub. I've been camping in some very nasty storms and trust me when I say that sometimes it feels like it's raining up. I've had rain go under the rain fly on several tents and soak me when the fly went down a good 4 or 5 inches below the mesh.

Also, it seems to be tall and thin from front to back, when it get's really windy my square dome tent bows in, I'm unsure how it would be in this tent but from my experiences I'm sure it wouldn't go too good.

I have no experience with this tent, but I have seen several people using a very similar one, and it went as I stated above, not too well in strong wind/rain.
>>
>>647997
I planned on making up some nylon rectangles to cover those, and be held on with velcro patches. I noticed it too. I live in Florida, and all my camping spots will be surrounded by wooded area, so that should cut down on the wind issue a lot. Thanks for taking a look at it.
>>
>>648002
No problem, If you camp in mostly wooded areas with little or no wind then I would say go for it if you want. It looks to be a solid option aside from those two things, but you've already got those solved ;)
>>
>>647832
get a tarp and a bivy
>>
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews/Mountainsmith-Morrison-2
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.