[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Urbex General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

File: 1449627257618.jpg (2MB, 4608x2504px) Image search: [Google]
1449627257618.jpg
2MB, 4608x2504px
Share photos, stories, anything /urbex/ related.
>>
Care to give some general info about urbex? Things you might need, how to find good places, etc? I've been interested in it for a while now, but I'm not sure how to really get into it without driving 3-4 hours just to find some well-known abandoned building I probably won't be able to get into.

Also, what to do if you get caught? What's the general protocol there?

Urbex sounds fun as fuck, I just don't know how to get into it.
>>
File: 9.jpg (85KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
85KB, 960x640px
>>647265
This is inside the "Tome School for Boys" in the middle of nowhere, Maryland.
>>
File: 7.jpg (88KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
88KB, 960x640px
>>647334
It's a pretty neat place.
>>647268
I was going on a roadtrip with my girlfriend at the time. We just looked up a bunch of places beforehand that weren't too far out of the way.
Where are you located?
Some items that are generally good to take:
>Flashlight
>Rope
>Climbing gear (if you have some)
>Respirator (for asbestos)
>A friend
>>
File: 8.jpg (114KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
114KB, 960x640px
>>647338
>>
File: falstaffpit2.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
falstaffpit2.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>647268
Basically... Don't get caught. A large group of friends and I almost ran straight into a cop car, we ended up going flat against wall until he passed.

But if you do get caught, just try to explain how you wanted to take pictures (always bring a camera) say your a photography student or something. Act as innocent as possible and say you never saw any trespassing signs.

Don't dress too militaristic (no flecktarn, combat boots, or facemasks) don't carry any weapons or tools (no crowbars or knives or guns) or anything else illegal (drugs, beer, spraypaint)

If you're concerned about running into junkies or meth cooks or something get a small police flashlight. You'll need a flashlight anyways, and the police ones are blindingly bright and shock resistant so they can be used as clubs.

above all just use common sense

pic is from an urbex I did
>>
>>647338
I'm in Southeastern Ohio. There are a few places I've looked into, but I guess I'll see how it goes.
>>
>>647342
Thanks for the advice, man. I think I might try to check out an old TB Ward near me sometime this weekend.
>>
>>647265
Just got back from first draining expedition. As it was starting to snow I only went maybe a hundred yards in, then turned back, but I'm looking forward to coming back sometime when it's drier out.

No pics cuz phone was in baggie, and it wasn't that interesting anyway. Pipe was about 4' high, so I had to run like Gollum, and water was about 1/3 of the way up at highest point (entrance) going down to just a trickle as I went farther in.
>>
File: eyylmao.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
eyylmao.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Did this one a while ago. Got in but not for long
>>
File: resized.jpg (1021KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
resized.jpg
1021KB, 3000x2000px
>>647265
I'll blow this thread up later, but here's me in Milwaukee just for lulz.
>>
>>648522
Damn, where is this?
>>
Anyone know anything about the Cincinnati subway?
>>
The North Truro Air Force Base in Cape Cod Mass is pretty sweet.
>>
>>648522
Where is this? It's beautiful!
>>
>>648552
I can't tell if that's hipster shit or legit grey hair you've got going on there, Anon.
>>
Clearly an older dude
>>
>>647342
Bullshit on the no weapons. If you can legally carry a gun, carry one. Also, always have a knife. The photography student angle is good so bring a camera. Just make sure you have your CCW permit with you so the cops won't take your gun or take you to jail.
>>
For what it's worth, this website is pretty great for pictures. I don't see it posted very often, but I used to spend hours looking through the pictures when I was younger. It seems like the site has changed a bit, making it easier to navigate to the location he's been. He used to not say the location or give the real names of the places but it looks like that may have changed.

http://opacity.us/
>>
>>649028
Meh, that's it, grey as shit, and thinning in front now. The glasses are cause I give zero shits and am always breaking stuff so I go to the dollar store and grab a handful of whatever rayban looking glasses they have there. But yeah, I guess with the pink glasses I look a little hipster. Big fan of the gigantic front rubber on those keen boots though.
>>
Any good places SE of Melbourne, Australia?
>>
>>649214
If you don't have a ccw, take a chunky knife. If you think a mora is going to make the cut, stay at home. A good insulated knife can be used as a pry bar and cut cable while removing risk of electrocution. Even if you don't have an insulated knife, something sharp is better than nothing. Only carry concealed while urbexing and have the proper permits to do so. In the off chance you run in to a vagrant, or anyone for that matter, the best way to not have an issue is to just avoid it. Don't walk around abandoned structures with a polished 1911 hanging off your hip and an AR-15 over your shoulder. Taking pictures is the best stort I've heard and I've used it. Just don't lie about who you are. Don't bring booze or spraypaint, especially if you have a gun on you.

The two most valuable pieces of advice I can give you for not getting caught are: be aware of where you park and don't shine flashlights on 2nd+ story areas close to windows near or after dark. Most of the time people ignore worn down budings, but if your car is parked right out front and they see lights in the windows there will be a reason to go looking or have the cops do it for them. I've walked a mile or more to a site just to make sure I want going to be interrupted over a parking job, or worse have my ticket out towed away.

Usually a basic kit will include study clothing covering as much as the weather allows, at least running shoes if not boots for ankle support, flashlight, headlamp, gun/knife or both, camera, cellphone, id/wallet. If I an going inside something that is more than a few blocks from commonly traveled areas I will bring a small pack in case something happens. It is about 10L with basic first aid, rope, bananas, a camel back, snacks, and any small things I think I might need. Any more gear than that and your limit mobility and risk drawing attention. Don't look like a burgler and people won't think you are.
>>
>>649282
Bandannas*, but make sure you keep your potassium up too. No one likes cramps.
>>
>>649282
>urbex
>thinks he's in bosnia

Really dude? I've been doing this for years and I bring a:
Camera
Clothing
Smile

Been caught multiple times. Never been ticketed or fucked with. Maybe it's cause I'm old, or cause I'm not PREPPED LIKE MAD MAX ON A CAT BURGLAR JOB DURING THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

Buncha tryhards looking like they're stealing stuff up in here.
>>
File: 20151018_180327.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20151018_180327.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
They say you shouldn't wear military clothing but really there's two ways of looking at this, 1. It does indeed draw attention if you are seen
2. It's much easier not to be seen, and if you were to be seen there's quite a big chance they won't mess with you because of how you look.
I was once urbexing and me and friend were exploring some tunnels, wearing military style gasmask. Just as my friends pops up his head out of the ground, a black van drives by. But it seems when someone with a gasmask comes out of the ground you really don't see any need to mess with him. Now after saying this I admit that I mostly wear military clothing for cosplay purposes while urbexing, however it has other good sides. Pic related, abandoned factory
>>
>>649312
Detroit is a lot like Bosnia. I carry my handgun everywhere I can legally carry it. I'm also the only one who knows I have it. There's a difference between being a tryhard tacticool fag, and being a prepared individual. Carrying a light with you is imperative, because most of these places don't have power going to them. The things I carry with me to places more than 2 miles from my vehicle (aside from warm clothes and BOOTS) are:

> gun (and spare mag)
> knife
> flashlight
> phone (on vibrate)
> camel back backpack
> couple of granola bars
> compass
> extra pair dry socks
>50ft climbing rope and load bearing carabiners
>>
>>649416
Forgot to mention
>multitool
> small first aid kit
>>
>>649416
fair enough if you live in a third world country
>>
>>649312
The only thing I carry in addition to what you listed is a knife and or gun. Are you against having tools? Do you hate being prepared? A knife is for like cutting things and a gun is for like not dying if some crackhead comes at you. And I have stumbled upon strung out homeless people in buildings before so I think it is a pretty good idea to have since I have a CCW and normally carry any other day of the week.

As for the other stuff, if I am walking miles to a site or exploring an abandoned mine that is a short hike in to the woods, I would like to have some water and food. Are you so autistic that you get upset over someone being a little more prepared than you? I'm not a 15 year old kid that thinks he needs a grappling hook to explore a wheat field and nothing I take with me has gone unused.
>>
>>649439
> any country
>>
>>649520
>implying a gun will do shit at that close of range against someone charging at you
>>
>>649323
GET OUT STALKER
>>
>>650368
>implying it won't
>>
>>650372
>implying you can pull a gun and shoot someone who runs at you from 2 feet away
>>
>>650375
> implying I'll let someone with bad intentions within two feet of me.

They're going to have to try really fucking hard....
>>
Can anyone in Chicago recommend a good place for my first urbex?
>>
>>647342
>never saw any trespassing signs
This is why going into walled-off properties is always nerve-wracking. You have no excuse.
>>
>>648522
Amazing dude. It would be so fucking cool to tie up a kayak to that pipe and climb up into the building from there.

Is everyone here really that worried about self-defense doing urbex? I tend to think anyone in there would be junkies or hobos, the latter of which will definitely keep their distance, and even if junkies don't they could probably be outran easily. If you had some friends with you I wouldn't be worried at all.
>>
>>649323
>I mostly wear military clothing for cosplay purposes while urbexing

are you serious
>>
>>648522
Is this in TN?
>>
>>649312
I lol'd
>>
File: image.jpg (940KB, 1630x1222px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
940KB, 1630x1222px
I explored this creepy house that looked like it had been derelict since maybe the 70's
>>
File: image.jpg (600KB, 1630x1222px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
600KB, 1630x1222px
>>652131
Sorry for the shitty angles..but this was taken from the top of the steps
>>
File: image.jpg (889KB, 1630x1222px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
889KB, 1630x1222px
>>652133
The pool
>>
File: image.jpg (310KB, 1630x1222px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
310KB, 1630x1222px
>>652131
>>
>>652134
Nice, did you stop for a dip in the pool?
>>
>>652131
>>652133
>>652134
looks like a nice house. you should move all your stuff there and claim squatters rights to possession
>>
>>652131
>>652133
>>652134
>>652135
Looks gemütlich as fuck. Would live there/10.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.