[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoor watches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

File: garmintectix.jpg (176KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
garmintectix.jpg
176KB, 1920x1080px
i want an "outdoor" watch.
preferably digital
been looking at the garmin tactix
what else should i look at?
>>
File: tough solar.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tough solar.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Got me one of these tacticool Casio Solar Watches some years ago off amazon for like 30 or 40€
>>
>>645474
get a g shock
>>
>>645491
which one?
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 640x930px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 640x930px
>>645505
G shock mudman. Indestructible + a digital compass and thermometer. Bitches dig it.
>>
>>645510
G shock's watch faces just look so damn cluttered
>>
>>645510
>digital compass and thermometer
mite b cool

Do they actually work?
>>
>>645514
they also have more functions and shit built in than your average pocket calculator.
this one >>645479 came with a 300 page manual
>>
>>645533
i was leaning toward the tactix because it seemed way less confusing to operate. are g shocks hard to use?
>>
>>645534
a bit, yes, but since you only ever need like two or three functions like alarms, stopwatch and setting the time for daylight savings shenanigans (there are watches that still don't do it by themselves), it's probably not a big deal
>>
File: 503990.jpg (49KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
503990.jpg
49KB, 800x800px
the tactix is watertight down to 50 meters ...

but .. what does that actually mean? can i wear it in heavy rain and not worry? shower with it? what?
>>
>>645561
Okay it looks like I'm going to be the first constructive garmin review here. Don't get a tactix. Get a fennix. They are essentially the same but a tactix has curved glass, green back light, $100 more expensuve, and can measure in mils. Otherwise, they are the same. Everyone says they break easy, thats bullshit. They are reletively indistructable as lomg as yoir intent isnt to break it. The water tight up to 50 meters means it's waterproof but don't take it diving. I've jumped off my boat enough times to tell you that water won't hurt it. Don't let everyone convince you on a gshock if you already want a garmin, you will regret it down the road (let's be honest. You don't want a review. You want conformation that you chose the right watch)

TLDR

>waterproof, not dive proof
>get the fennix. Not tactix
>not as cheaply made or "meme"-y as people will say
>>
>>645571
I want to clarify that last part so I don't sound like so much of an elitist asshole lol. If you already are hyped about a fennix/tactix, then get a gshock, you will regret it. For every problem you have, you will say "damn it. I should have gotten the fennix/tactix" and be unhappy about it

I also forgot to mention the menus are really easy to navigate and it has a nice feel to it (ik that's vague but roll with me here). I don't mind but it is slightly big and has weight to it. It's negligible though.
>>
>>645571
>>645574
the tactix is actually the cheapest available to me. the only other options from where id prefer to buy from is fenix 3 and fenix 3 saphire which are more expensive?

so essentially what you are saying is that mostly all watches available are strong. dependable and pretty darn good and what sets them apart is mostly asthetics and which one "appeals" most to yourself?
>>
First time watch buyer here. The G Shocks seem to get a lot of good reviews, but what model would you recommend to someone who'd like to wear it out/also for everyday wear? I'd ideally like a decent looking watch so I don't get strange looks at work.
>>
What about the other Asia watches? Like the protrek
>>
File: 40001aer.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
40001aer.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>645505
>>645474

I know G-shocks are recommended time and tiem a gain but it's no meme.

Get a g-shock. Suuntos are not worth the price and I wouldnt trust a Garmin to do anything. Fragile as fuck. You're better set with a quality dress watch than with a Garmin.

I ran a 5610 that is 10/10 and solar powered.

I wanted tacticool analog and some anon here convinced me to get the 4000-1AER (picrelated)

Digital I strongly recommend the 5610, arguably one of the best Casios ever made (and I'm a casiofag, I know)

Analog the 4000 range, the only g-shocks that are tough as fuck and are not cluttered and actually easily readable.

>>645613

Same as what I posted above, although I STRONGLY recommend the 5610 as a first one. You will not regret it at all.
>>
Ive never seen the point in these watches, i mean for curiositys sake its cool to know altitude and air temp and all that but really when is that information ever going to come in handy?

If you need to know the altitude, chances are your a pilot and will have all the necessary gauges anyway. As for temp knowing it any more specific than "its cold" seems unnecessary as well no?

Compass could come in handy but for map reading you would need the one with the lines and all that bullshit.

Not trying to be a dick just curious about the appeal considering some of these rack up to over $1000
>>
>>645474
Got a fitbit surge and cracked the display the second day hiking /out/. Seems like that was a freak incident though since the crack hasn't spread it all, I have a warranty but am 2 lazy to send this shit back. The watch is 250$ has gps can track your hikes and provides interesting but mostly useless information. The cons of the watch are the led sensors will tend to stop working every hour or two if you're unlucky or it's humid out resulting in you appreciating the outdoors less and micromanaging whether your heart rate is being fucking monitored or not. All in all I'd rate the watch a 7/10 good buy if you like spending time looking at the data.
>>
>>645621
Thanks for the info, I'm not sure I really like the look of the 5610 but it does have a lot of great reviews
>>
File: tumblr_ma71mj27uY1rue60ho2_500.jpg (63KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma71mj27uY1rue60ho2_500.jpg
63KB, 500x667px
>>645616
>>645474
>>645505

Here's my advice (I'm the casiofag again)

When looking into "a g-shock" in general you should also count on looking up pro treks. The're not certified overbuilt but they're about as durable.

Just dont buy any casios that have gimmicks like compass, barometer etc unless you want precisely that; a cool gimmick, because the extra functions in casios (yes, including the 500$ ones) are not reliable.

You're better set with the best g-shock or pro trek you can get that only tells the hour. The only fuctional gimmick that is reliable and that I myself want in my casios is the solar power. It works great. More than cool gimmicks you should look at these features (that are rarely ever acknowledged or talked about on the net):

-toughness

-readability (very important, most casios are very cluttered)

-Number to size ratio (size of the numbers vs size of the watch, it gets ridiculous in some models, with a giant watch with tiny numbers)

-appearance (up to your taste, but for me those thick fat ones are ugly for the most part, and smaller watches like the 5600 actually have bigger numbers than beefy ones like the 6900)

I cannot stress this enough, dont buy a watch with gimmicks unless you want them as gimmicks, expecting a substitute for a proper compass or gps.

Also dont buy a model just because"MUH MILITARY TOUGHNESS". All g-shocks are extremely tough, so for example buying a mudman or a frogman over a cheaper 5600 is in my oppinion a waste of money.

Tl:dr.

All g-shocks and pro-treks are guaranteed functional, so focus on aesthetics, display to size ratio and readability instead of number of functions (except solar power) and tacticoolness.
>>
>>645597
I know mine is strong. Again I've heard the "fragile" thing a lot (>>645621) but as far as I've experienced, it's been pretty strong. I use it as EDC and take it on normal /out/ trips. I wouldnt want to take it rock climbing or spelunking but thats just me. biggest difference between the fennix 2 and tactix literially the back light, curved glass, and a menu function. The fennix 3 looks like black magic and magnets. So I'd steer clear. Plus I don't know anyone who has it.
>>
File: 8hgm9zpz7y3v28t7t5n5.jpg (259KB, 750x821px) Image search: [Google]
8hgm9zpz7y3v28t7t5n5.jpg
259KB, 750x821px
Obligatory Core shilling.
>>
>>645635
Solar is incredibly overrated imo. Eventually the battery or capacitor will give up and they're expensive to replace. If you're not stupid then there's no reason why you can't replace the lithiums yourself every couple of years.

>remove strap
>remove screws
>take off case back
>use fine flathead (0.6 or 0.8) to lift battery catch
>remove battery
>replace with new battery
>use fine tweezers to reset AC according to sticker on battery catch
>if mechanism has lifted, use fine flathead to push button levers in and gently push it back down (don't force it)
>make sure gasket and any rubber or plastic bits go back where they came from
>replace case back
>replace two screws, check watch is going, then replace others (if watch isn't going you didn't AC it properly)
>replace strap

Done.
You can tell when the battery is getting low if using the light makes the display fade.
>>
Isn't wearing a watch sweaty and horrible when hiking?
>>
>>645732
Can be. I've found nylon webbing straps to be the most tolerable as they can breathe.
>>
>>645491
fuck you and your meme-watch
>>
>>645690
Garmin guy still lurking here. How do you like the core? I was stuck between that and the fennix 2 but decided the fennix suited my needs better. But I'm just curious how you like it? And also general question, what do you have the storm warning set to? I think I have mine set to 5mb per hour but it seems like there's no exact science to it.
>>
File: prg270.png (146KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
prg270.png
146KB, 300x360px
PRG-270.
Altimiter, compass, barometer, thermometer, graphing and logging functions for most of the sensors, 100m water resistance, nice big buttons, less cluttered face than G-shock, solar powered, light,and can be had for 100 dollars if you know where to look.
>>
I reccomend the timex ws4... barometer, compass, altimeter, timer, alarmsn thermometer, all that shizz. Roughly 150 depending on where you get it from.
>>
>>645625
Did this not get answered because there is no good answer to the question?
>>
>>645732
You coud strap it to your backpack
>>
>>646211
like to the shoulder strap?
>>
>>646159
>>645625
Mine (garmin fennix 2) was $270 and it has all those fancy features but mostly I use things like if I got boating, I set the launch as a GPS way point. When camping, I'll set my site as another temporary way point. It has sun Set times which comes in handy. I'll admit the speed and altitude things are kinda useless to me aside from curiousity. I like that it tracks pressure and temperature though because it tells me when there's a front moving in and it's accurate 9/10 times. To give it a good comparison, it's like a games HUD for every day life.
>>
>>645797
I've got a core, had it for 4 years. It is an absolute fucking tank. 3 battery changes and a new wristband (deet apparently eats rubber) and it is still going despite being beat to hell. I love it, don't have any problems. Compass doesn't have any issues, temp is usually spot on (if you're wearing it subtract ~10° F) and as far as the barometric pressure, idk. I've never been hit by a storm a rain that I couldn't see coming hours before hand. The damn thing looks a lot better to me than a garmin/g shock. Nice clean display without those giant blocky digits that just look shitty
>>
>>646858
Actually I find this kinda funny. I liked both but the thing that ultimately sold me was the more simple design and larger blockier numbers.
>>
>>646964
Haha, I guess it really comes down to personal preferences in a lot of cases
>>
are there any watches out there with the same capability as these watches but with leather strap?
>>
>>649300
You can put a leather strap on just about any watch. But it will look stupid. And leather straps suck when it comes to dealing with moisture, even regular sweating can be enough to ruin them if you're exerting yourself enough.

>changed about a dozen watch batteries and a handful of straps today
>>
>>645721
In Sunto Core, all you need to replace the battery is a big flathead screwdriver, which you use in the slot on the back to unscrew the back cap, then you take out the battery, put in a new one and screw the cap back on. If you're strong you can also use a large coin or a battery to unscrew the back cap. A battery will last you a good 6 months. I've changed the rubber/silicone straps once in four years. Yeah I know it has a lot of unnecessary functions but I like mine.
>>
>>646231
That speed comment reminds me, I've gotta get some pace count beads. Thanks :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Was a choice between this and a protrek... Ended up with the traverse. While I don't the battery life... the gps aspect is pretty neat.
>>
>>645474
I'm not going to recommend anything, because I don't presume to know what's really best out there, but make sure you get something with a sapphire face on it. Glass breaks way too easily. And unless you find something with a compass, analog is superior to digital in several ways.

Truth be told, though, it depends on what you're looking for. If you go out for weeks at a time and don't have a schedule (why have a schedule while out?) then why do you even need a watch? Time until dusk is fifteen minutes per finger from the horizon with your arm outstretched, and fish care more about light and temperature than what time it is.

Kinda just seems like gearfagging desu.
>>
File: IMG_7188.jpg (225KB, 1600x1434px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7188.jpg
225KB, 1600x1434px
Casio MDV106. Haven't been out with this watch but it keeps time pretty well, waterproof to 200m(pseudo-diver), and seems solid for the price, cant say for the glass though. It isnt that costly so if it does break you arent out 300 dollarydoos
>>
>>645474
I own a tactix

Its a pretty good watch, a lot of the functions and modes do come in handy, like hunt and fish, as well as the compass and being able to put maps in it though 5mb limit IS a bitch

I used the altimeter for skydiving a few times, and I found it a tad inconsistent, there is always a slight error, so I use my main altimeter for openings and the Tactix to judge roughly how high I am from the ground when under canopy because its pretty hard to tell with my altimeter if Im below 200-100ft

I also used it for scuba diving, though I never take it for deep diving, I've put maps on mine to assist with navigating, once again its pretty much hit and miss, because it won't detect satellites below 5 meters. But the compass works well, especially in wrecks when magnetic compasses get thrown off when you're inside due to the metal of the ship.

Your biggest problem is salt crystals that accumulate in the buttons and abrade the watch.
overall I wouldn't dive with it.
>>
>>645625

I was doing a hike up Mount Mitchell with a buddy last weekend and he had a pretty well-calibrated Casio Pro-Trek. We were able to use the altimeter to track our progress pretty effectively.
>>
>>650200
I've had 2 of the casio ABC watches, currently have the pro-trek, and as long as you calibrate it it's pretty darn accurate. It seems to need to sit at the same altitude for 5-10 minutes sometimes to stabilize, if you've been going up or down steep grades for a while.

I like the idea of the GPS watches, but I don't like the battery life.
>>
File: Casio-ProTrek-PRW-3000-01jpg.jpg (241KB, 600x653px) Image search: [Google]
Casio-ProTrek-PRW-3000-01jpg.jpg
241KB, 600x653px
Well, since you guys are even posting GPS watches with battery life measured in HOURS, i will go full in as well.

Not trolling btw.

I just ordered a Pebble.

Thinking about returning it before even opening though, and getting a Casio PRW-3000.

thoughts??

how unreliable is the compass? i would use it for some orientation in cities (i am almost never /out/, i know i'm on the wrong board).

how useful is barometer? can you vaguely predict weather for tomorrow by looking at the past barometer changes?

but i'm just looking for something that i can wear 24/7 no matter if i am partying or out in the desert or some fancy dinner.

atm i have a gshock that i have had more than a third of my life span, feels weird wanting to get rid of it, but it's kinda thick, not too pretty and has no countdown timer (and no compass, which is why i am asking how useful that thing actually is irl)

prw-3000 is pic related
>>
>>650806
Get the PRG-270. It's just as good and much cheaper.
>>
>>650821
>PRG-270
but it's much bulkier no?

the smaller size is one of the reasons i want to go from gw-500e to the prw-3000

prg-270 seems like those old bulky pathfinders
no?
>>
File: image.jpg (203KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203KB, 1200x800px
I was wondering what /out/ was thinking about this G-Shock.

It's "novelty" feature is that it can do an atomic time sync via GPS anywhere in the world (instead of just in the proximity to the atomic radio towers, which desu just covers Western Europe, 2/3rds kf the US, big East Chinese towns and Japan).

So this is what I consider /out/ about it as I travel a lot to other countries and so far no watch could sync there.

I agree that really needing to-the-second time sync in 3rd world countries might be a questionable need.

And the watch does not have any ABC functionality. (To its defense, nobody were would really rely on a ABC watch either)

But I believe it is is probably the toughest watch of all the watches posted here. In particular, I was almost about to buy the PRW3000 until I read about the bezep problems.

My last Gshock lasted me for 8 years (and still works like on day one, and only a few colors slightly came off), so I want my next watch to allow me to continue not having to care about where I bump my watch.

So I was wondering, is it any useful /out/side, or just an oversized gimmick that won't provide any advantage and will be a clunky brick in my wrist?
>>
>>653470

Be careful with sync on casios because they can most likely go crazy at inconvenient moments instead of actually being on time when you want to know the hour.

Also it looks clogged as shit and difficult to read.

I'd go for a 4000 or a digital one.
>>
File: a7825776b2[1].jpg (61KB, 765x238px) Image search: [Google]
a7825776b2[1].jpg
61KB, 765x238px
Taking a look at Casio's website and saw this.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.