[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living on a montana mountain in the winter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Tetons.jpg (3MB, 1811x1189px) Image search: [Google]
Tetons.jpg
3MB, 1811x1189px
A couple friends of mine, both hardcore survivalists have offered to take me along with them when they go out into the Tetons for a month or two in the winter. I really want to go with them, but I have zero experience surviving in the wild, and surviving on a windy mountain in -60 degree weather in the coldest spot in the US sounds a tad bit insane. These guys know what they're doing, they've been doing it every year- Would I be able to survive with them and learn, or would I just be dangerous dead weight? One of them is a blackfoot native with a crazy amount of hunting tags who's been doing this his entire life, and so is the other, minus the blackfoot and the hunting tags. I really want to do this, but I also don't want to be a popsicle. Any advice?
Pic related is the mountain range.
>>
they invited you along to eat you.
>>
>>644833
If they're your friends, then consult them about how to prepare, what gear you'll need, etc. That being said I would highly recommend against making your first backcountry experience take place in such an extreme environment.
>>
>coldest spot in the US

>It was -79.8°F - rounded off to -80°F - observed at Prospect Creek Camp in the Endicott Mountains of northern Alaska on Jan. 23, 1971.
>>
>>644859
Ah. Maybe in the lower 48 then? I know Cut Bank has a tourist attraction claiming it's the coldest spot in the nation.

>>644854
I'll talk to them about it some more, but my best plan of action would probably be to wait until the spring or summer when they do it again. They just hype the heck out of it, they way they describe it, there's nothing more I'd like to do.
>>
OP is a gay faggot who lies on the internet
>>
If you have got the necessary gear for surviving in such scenarios, and you don't do anything stupid, you eat and drink enough, then there is no reason to be afraid.. Except bad luck which can kill even the most experienced outdoors man. Try to gain as much experience as possible till then and consult them, put the cards on the table and ask for their advice.
>>
>>644833
>Tetons
> Montana
>>
>>644833

They obviously think you can make it, they wouldn't bring you along if you were going to be dead weight
>>
>>645139
Huh, you're right, they're not eve in Montana. Maybe they're thinking of another range, or I just misunderstood them.
>>
>>644833
best advice I can come up with is ask them to go out with you for a weekend as a trial. I think you'll come away with a better idea if you can handle it and if they can get along with you there. If nothing you'll get an idea of what aspects of planning you would want to emphasize.

I've spent around a month and a half in a mineral exploration site in northern saskatchewan but we had food provided and tents were heated by diesel. It's quite manageable with all that in place but if you're just planning to hunt for food in winter you could find it tough. You use up a significant amount of energy just being in a cold environment without even starting to do things and I ate about twice my normal servings. My main suggestions are having several layers of real warm clothing... a base layer with antimicrobial properties would make things a bit lower maintenance... fleece is a good choice because you don't sweat as much as wool, it's about the same heat warm or dry, and it dries 6-8 times faster. I'd have pretty thick socks and gaiters would be a good idea. Snowshoes or non-trail cross country skis would be a must for moving around I'd think. I'd also consider bringing a set of sunglasses if you'll be out and about a lot in the day. I'd take a good set of mits no gloves...mits will keep your hands warmer generally. They'd also have a close fitting ribbing that covered my wrists. Open at wrist gloves really suck when playing in snow... gets in there and when your wrists are cold you lose a lot of dexterity. I guess another thing is snow from trees often falls on your head and down your neck in a winter forest. I think having something like a balaclava with a lower section that can be fitted over your collar is one of those small things that'd make your life just a tad easier.

Last thing I'd say is any time you go away from camp have the basics to keep yourself alive: lighters, saw/axe, an emergency blanket, and maybe some paracord.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.