[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mt.fuji winter climbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (42KB, 518x284px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 518x284px
I just got to Japan a few weeks ago and I plan on climbing mt.fuji in janurary for the difficulty. I read that without snow shoes it can take over 12 hours. What else should I be bringing with me? I've hiked mt snow and mt Stratton but they're nothing compared to this. Do I need one of those climbing axes too?

I guess mountain hiking/climbing general.
>>
You need nothing. Coke machines are at the top.

Yes.
>>
I climbed Fuji back in 1970 while stationed at Camp Zama. Big fun!
>>
>>644410
I'm at NAF Atsugi. I can't wait! I see that mountain everyday I'm pumped for it
>>
>>644427
Shh!
>>
I'm going to Japan next January, and my research turned up that it's only open to climb in July and August. Is that incorrect?
>>
>>644478
disregard, found my own answer

>https://www.fujimountainguides.com/climbing-mt-fuji.html
>Contrary to popular belief, there are no restrictions or regulations regarding the ability to climb Fuji outside of the "official" July/August season. Upon reaching a Fuji trailhead in the off-season however, one will encounter signposts that say that the trail is closed. These signs are an indirect way of saying, "climb Mt. Fuji at your own risk".
>>
>>644488
>saying the trail is closed is an indirect way of saying that its not really closed.
Does this apply to all rules and laws in japan?
>>
File: fallout_3_vault_boy_by_tylertut.png (101KB, 641x666px) Image search: [Google]
fallout_3_vault_boy_by_tylertut.png
101KB, 641x666px
>>644401
Rad-x and Rad-Away
>>
File: thelaughingman.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
thelaughingman.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
>>644510
topkek
>>
>>644510
made me chuckle
>>
>>644510
hahaha good point
>>644495
I know this that for military alot of times if its something minor like speeding the cops will let you off to avoid the hassle of dealing with a foreign national. Or so Ive heard. Im going to roll the dice and say fuck it anyways this opportunity and challenge is going to be sweet.

Some people are like no big deal don't worry about the climb and others are saying to bring a ice axe and all this bullshit and I have to camp. So who knows what I'll actually need lol
>>
>>644401
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtt583ruGAI
>>
File: chucklebros.jpg (430KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
chucklebros.jpg
430KB, 2048x1536px
>>644510
I Lol'ed
Alot
>>
>>644401
I did Mt. Fuji in the summer on the Subashiri route.

What you need will depend a lot on the actual conditions you happen to get when you are there. Winter climbing anywhere in the world can be highly unpredictable.

At the very least I would bring climbing snowshoes (like MSR Lightning) and trekking poles. Crampons and ice axe would be prudent because you don't know what the conditions will be like for ice or steepness on your chosen route and they will likely be valuable nearer to the top. On the Subashiri route I would say some portions were steep enough that crampons and axe would be appropriate.

You should also be aware of avalanche risk, since basically the entire mountain is perfect conditions for creating big avalanches above treeline.

Personally I would be impressed if you can do Fuji in winter in 12 hours or less. Even in the summer hiking times are typically 7 to 11 hours round trip. I think the smartest choice would be to rest around the treeline, and then start up at about 12pm-2am. Generally you want to be up and down before the avalanche risk is too high during the day. Of course keep in mind that if it snows and you lose your footprints, you might have a hard time finding your way back.

Have fun!
>>
>have the idea to climb mt. fuji on my b-day
>August 12th
>learn about Obon
>nope.png
>>
>>644401
seismologist here. you should be at least informed that there is some chance it could erupt. It has to do with buildup of pressure in the magma chamber since the tohoku earthquake. Some scientists were expecting it to blow within a certain period. Another one in japan did in 2014 and killed a bunch of hikers. Just be aware it is a volcano and there are conditions that could make it active that are up in the air.

I recommend reading this article for gear tips and don't mean to put you off of it. Any signs of changing conditions while you're up there, play it safe and head down is my advice.
http://www.stripes.com/news/with-japan-s-volcanic-activity-rising-mount-fuji-climbers-urged-to-wear-helmets-1.355657
>>
>>646149
Wait... 12 hours up and down? Or just up?
>>
>>646282
I think climbing the mountain when everyone is down in the city festivalling it up would be worth it for the smaller amount of people to share the mountain with.
Unless it works the opposite way...
>>
>>647305
12 hours up in winter sounds reasonable. 12 hours round-trip would really be speed-climbing IMO.
>>
>>647337
It works the opposite way.
Aug. 10-15 is literally the busiest time of year for fuji climbing.
>>
Currently in Japan and it's just about the warmest winter ever. Take an extra tshirt and a chocolate bar incase you are not back by lunch.

I can also recommend just doing some treks around the base too
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.