[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've literally just got into kayak fishing. I bought a Emotion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: 101_5021.jpg (290KB, 908x681px) Image search: [Google]
101_5021.jpg
290KB, 908x681px
I've literally just got into kayak fishing. I bought a Emotion Spitfire 8 and it seems to be okay for my purposes. A rod holder is a must though. Anyone else into kayak fishing? Pic related. It's me.
>>
Yeah I kayak fish quite often in the summer, a few times a week if possible,

I'm hoping to get out one more time this season
>>
File: 101_5024.jpg (229KB, 908x681px) Image search: [Google]
101_5024.jpg
229KB, 908x681px
>>641391
I feel like I've fucked up some because I got my first kayak during winter, but ftw.
>>
good luck mate
>>
File: 101_5026.jpg (594KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
101_5026.jpg
594KB, 1296x972px
>>641393
>>
>>641390
I've used those small cheap inflatables they sell at some places. they're about 30$ or so. I can easily transport it and it does the job. I find in general with these things being lower to the ground makes setting the hook harder. But it gets me out to places on small lakes I couldn't normally access. I'd consider one of those origami kayaks for a similar purpose. I saw someone using one on time. They are a little expensive considering the cost of materials so I thought I might just build one some time.
>>
File: 101_5025.jpg (443KB, 1167x875px) Image search: [Google]
101_5025.jpg
443KB, 1167x875px
>>641398
I'm hoping that once I get the hang of kayaking, I can get a cheap trolling motor and mount that fucker on the back. As long as it's removable, I'm cool.
>>
File: IMG_20150713_164454242.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150713_164454242.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
I fish the saco bay in my river kayak.

it's fun to hook a big fish in this thing, had a few close calls though.
>>
File: IMG_20150713_154341540_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150713_154341540_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>641402
>>
>>641393
Nothing wrong with kayaking in winter aslog as you don't get too wet,
I sometimes will bring my kayak out when there is thin ice (under 3 inches)
When I want to get on early ice when no one else will venture out
>>641400
If you have any motor (atleast in mybstate ) the boat no matter how small needs to have a hill number assigned and be registered
>>641402
I'd like to take mine out into the long island sound but I'm too nervous to go alone, and I wouldn't want to go with a group of experienced people since I don't want to hold them back
I'm going to try some salt ponds to start, then a section that's back In a bay
>>
You picked a shit kayak for fishing. Should have went with a bigger one so you could have more space and it would track better. If you get your milk crate setting right you could mount your rod holders straight to it. Maybe you could stick a board on the bottom of it so it could sit on top of the gunwales instead of having it crammed in there all wonky.

>>641393
A pair of waders really helps paddling in the winter. Keeps the water on your paddle from soaking your legs. Insulates you a little bit from the wind too.

>>641400
Don't do that. Trolling motors and batteries are fucking heavy and you don't have enough space for either on your stubby little chode kayak. If I were you I would save my money and keep that kayak as stock as possible in hopes of eventually selling it and upgrading to a twelve or fourteen footer. The longer yaks are really just loads better for fishing.

If you don't have an anchor yet, get one. Super nice to have in the wind or in current. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that will keep you in one spot. The ones with the little arms that fold out are pretty great though. I don't know if you'll need to install an anchor trolley on a boat that small, but its real nice to be able to point in the right direction.
>>
>>641428
just be super fucking careful with anchors in kayaks. don't throw your anchor without knowing the depth, and always gently lower your anchor, never let it fall freely it's extremely dangerous.
>>
>>641393
You aren't the only one, I got a bigger one a few months ago but its been to damn cold to go out and use it. Can't wait for spring might go up a few rivers and build a cabin for extended fishing/hunting trips.
>>
>>641428
>a pair of waders really helps paddling

I have done this before. Everytime I paddled over a deep hole I would get a bit nervous. You fall in water over your head in waders its good night sweet prince. Better cinch that wader belt up tight.
>>
>>641453
Yeah gotta put that belt on for sure. I probably should have mentioned that in my post. Any time I have my waders on in the kayak I have my life vest on too.
>>
File: 101_5022.jpg (400KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
101_5022.jpg
400KB, 1296x972px
>>641428
The little kayak was the best I could afford right now, but I think it'll do for now. If I get a trolling motor, it wont be for the Spitfire. Also, if I get waders, I'll always wear my life vest so I wont sink and die.
>>
>>641412

Where you at on LI? Id love to have someone to yak fish with.
>>
Hmm, I think this might work for me - I just moved to a place a block away from a boat launch in northwest WA but I probably won't be able to afford a proper boat for a while.

I wonder if I could set a small crab trap using a kayak or if that'd just be too dangerous to even contemplate
>>
>>641550
I have never crabbed from my kayak but I have crabbed a bunch from shoreline spots. You could def work the manual hoop/pyramid/box style ones. If you want to throw out some pots I am not sure how many you could easily take out with you but at the very least one would work.
>>
>>641565

Yeah, I'm just thinking the smallest possible traps and probably one max, but pulling up a crab pot from the seafloor while sitting in a pitching kayak sounds like a huge pain in the ass and possibly stupid/dangerous while probably not much more effective than crabbing from the shoreline. A small boat would probably be far safer and more effective.
>>
>>641532
I'm in Connecticut , though the spots I'm going to try first are going to be in Rhodes island

Wby?
>>
>>641614

On the other side lol. North shore of LI
>>
>>641821
Well if I get good enough we can meet halfway
Any pictures of your setup?
>>
File: Pee_in_Boat.jpg (70KB, 1014x710px) Image search: [Google]
Pee_in_Boat.jpg
70KB, 1014x710px
Hey guys, how do you pee if you're way out in the water? You can't stand up, and who wants to carry around piss bottles?

I thought of a new invention to help everyone who loves boats, fishing, and peeing.

Basically you run a tube through the bottom of your boat. At the end that is inside your boat, put a one way valve so that only water (pee) can leave the boat but water can't come in no matter what.

Then, build a sort of sealed, cup like device that has room for your dick to go inside. It should be made of rubber so you don't cut your penis.

Next, you need a smaller nozzle on the rubber cup thing to attach a small pump too, like a bicycle pump or something.

How it works:

When you have to pee, get out your penis and put it in the rubber cup thing. Then just fill it up. Next, remove your penis (or don't it might work) and then make sure the cup is sealed air tight. Then start pumping the air pump to build up the pressure inside.

Eventually, the pressure will become high enough to expel the urine through the one way valve and into the water. Thus you have now peed and removed the pee without standing up or get out of the boat!

Here is a picture that illustrates my design.
>>
>>641879
You fucking paddle to shore and piss. Or lean and piss over the side of your kayak. It's OK if you get a little on you.
>>
>>641879
My granddad always kept a coffee can in the boat for such purposes.

You just dump the piss out into the water afterwards.
>>
i don't really care about fishing, but it's nice to just throw a hand line out and maybe get some free dinner along the way
>>
>>641879
get out of the fucking boat and pee in the water
>>
>>641889
>>641941
>>642030
With my method, you don't even have to stand up, you can just stay seated and go. This is idea for rough conditions or when it's otherwise inconvenient to paddle far away to piss. It's very quick, no risk of spilling piss everywhere, and technologically sound. Why are you guys fighting the future of bowel evacuation in boats? You really want to paddle around with a piss bottle or, worse still, a full bladder?

You're like the people who probably opposed when people started digging a hole when they had to poop.
>ugh just let it sit out that's how we always do it!
>why waste time digging a hole!?
>who cares if it's more disgusting to just let it sit out, that's the way we do things!
>>
>>641868

Meeting at middle grounds in a kayak isnt feasible lol. It's a little less than an hours ride by boat roughly, and would take an immense amount of paddling, and if there is any wind, the waves would be pretty intense out there. Pretty much not possible for amateurs lol.

Fyi, I go out alone all the time. A couple rules:

As a beginner, pick your days. 5mph winds and are a very comfortable place to start. 10mph is still comfortable, 15+ is pretty uncomfortable and 20+ is hazardous to a beginner.

Go in the summer when the water is warm and wont kill you.

Wear a pfd, get a nice one with pockets and such that is comfortable and wear it all the time. Keep a plastic whistle on your neck.

Stay pretty close to shore. As you get better you can venture out, but you'll learn how quickly you will tire. Also how the wind/tide effects paddling.

When the water is warm, go out with a bathing suit and practice re-entering and flipping the kayak if you havent already.

If you really want to yak in early spring/late fall for striper fishing or something, get a wetsuit that is rated for the water temp.
>>
Was wondering if anyone here could help me out, Im looking for either a collapsible (I've heard they're all shit) or 2 piece rod/reel combo that's good enough for camping and like fishing off like a river dock or canoe, I live in FL so it'd be nice if it also worked for salt water but that isn't a big deal. My brother told me p much any 2 piece combo around $80 would work but I have no idea where to look besides amazon and the reviews really throw me off.
>>
>>642535
Go to a sports store: BassPro, Dick's, Sports Authority or tackle shop. Ask questions and pick them up and see how they feel. Spend as much as you can; a $25 set-up will probably break on you within a year.

I've had a Penn Battle for a year and half or so and in that time the rod tip broke and the reel handle broke... so I can't really recommend that one. Bass Pro did replace the rod as it was some sort of defect.
>>
>>641879
why not just a dick tube you run over the gunnel? No pumps or through hull fittings and you'd just rinse it off after. Just cut a piece of garden hose.

Also, your idea is to piss in a cup, seal the cup, then pump the piss out, when you could piss in the cup, then dump it overboard....

I appreciate your creativity, hopefully this criticism is constructive. Simplicity is best.
>>
>>642476
It's apparently doable. To go all the way across ,
At the smallest its. Just over 12 miles across
It would just require immense planning
>>
File: 101_5003.jpg (372KB, 1037x778px) Image search: [Google]
101_5003.jpg
372KB, 1037x778px
>>642476
I'm thinking very seriously about just getting a wet suit. The water is extremely cold around here this time of year. It wouldn't take long to kill you if you were alone on the water tired from paddling. They're expensive, but I want to be able to kayak during Winter.
>>
>>642654

Maybe it's possible, it just gets rough out there very easily. Try paddling 12miles on flatwater first, then imagine it in a bouncing, windy ocean lol.

>>642688

I got a 7mm wetsuit that can withstand around 40 degrees of water or so. Seems perfect for spring/fall. Idk about winter lol. I also have a very stable, 12' kayak
>>
>>642688
I fish on my yak without a wetsuit in the winter time. Just be careful and don't do anything retarded.
>>
I want to get a kayak someday... I live in a tiny apartment though. No place to put it. My dad said that the inflatable ones all suck. Is that true?
>>
>>643205
Yep. Better than nothing thougg
>>
>>643205
I've never used an inflatable, but I'd sure as shit put a hook through it if I had one. I'd probably sink and curse the world. kek
>>
>>642615
Dude you can't piss with enough force to shoot your pee out of the hose all the way over the side. By the mid stream it'd be backing up and hitting you. That's gross.

My invention is the cleanest and most efficient way of clearing urine from the boat, no standing, dumping, or holding urine for longer than you need too.

Not only that, but you can also use it as an emergency bilge in case of emergencies.
>>
>>641879
my kayak is "self bailing" so i just piss on the floor of the boat between my legs.
>>
>>643205
I think you should listen to Dad on this one. At least my experience appears to be in line with his.
>>
>>642332
>You really want to paddle around with a piss bottle
Why would you paddle around with it when you can just dump it out? You're overthinking this anon
>>
File: 38051715.jpg (2MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
38051715.jpg
2MB, 3968x2976px
I don't own a kayak BUT I do have a canoe and I LOVE to fish in the canoe

>pic related, its me a couple years ago
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.