[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Appalachian Trail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: appalachian-trail1.jpg (130KB, 453x355px) Image search: [Google]
appalachian-trail1.jpg
130KB, 453x355px
Never done more than a day hike but would like to attempt a thru hike this year.

What do I need to hike the AT?
>>
Backpack
Tent
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag
Stove+Fuel
Lighter
Spork
Knife
Water bottles/bladder
Water purification
Headlamp/flashlight
Clothes
Trowel
Money+credit/debt card
Water+Food

+a few months with no responsibilities
>>
>>640681
>Trowel
For what?
>>
>>640686
Digging a hole to poop in
>>
>>640686
Because he is a faggot who is going to hike 100 yds off trail and bury his poop the first time he has to take a shit. Then he will discard the trowel and shit directly on the trail like the rest of us.
>>
File: kindle.png (38KB, 740x230px) Image search: [Google]
kindle.png
38KB, 740x230px
Is bringing a Kindle a good idea? Has free G3 and battery lasts over a month. I'm sure I can charge it at least once every few weeks.
>>
>>640694
is it waterproof?

have you backpacked for a week before?

electronics don't do well after a week in the weather
>>
>>640679

More experience.

:^)
>>
>>640695
Will get either a cheap waterproof case or the more expensive waterfi coating which is good for depths of 210 feet.

Haven't even camped over night. Lots of day hikes. Will plan to do shake down camping trips before the long hike. I can't say I plan to go the entire trail but I'm going to try and see how far I get.
>>
>>640688
>>640689
>Not shitting in rivers
>>
>>640699
You have to do at least a week long trip as it is essentially the same as doing the AT except you go home at the end of the week instead of restocking and continuing on.

I personally wouldn't bring a kindle as I would probably sleep or explore off trail with any free time.
>>
>Never done an overnight camp
>wants to do the Appalachian trail all the way through

Jesus.
>>
>>640694
Yes, no need for a case, use a ziplock. Something with a camera would be better.

I tried the same thing a few years ago having never backpacked. I made it ten days before my body and mind broke down. It was amazing and gave me confidence to backpack anywhere now.
>>
>>640727
RIP OP
>>
File: 1432688523339.jpg (32KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1432688523339.jpg
32KB, 480x640px
>>640727
>>640734
I fully expect that I'll either die before finishing, or quit. But I'm going with the mind set of thru hiking it, probably learn a bunch of shit, and try again the next year and succeed.

Also, this is type of pack I got. Not my pic but even has same side pouches. Is this too heavy or small?
>>
>>640712
Never camped more than 2 nights in a row and did a purist thur hike this year.

OP, 4chan is a shit source of AT info. Go lurk whiteblaze and reddit ultralight. Leave your Kindle and trowel at home.Use your trekking pole to bury your shit, learn what LNT is. If you can't get your base weight sub 30lbs stay home. Try to get it below 20lb. you need 4-6 g's if you really want to do the entire trail. Get into shape. Smoking weed everyday on the trail helps dull the mental and physical pain. Start watching thru hike videos on youtube Joe Brewer and Will Woods is a good place to start.
>>
>>640762
no, you need a new pack. there are so many reasons why that pack sucks for thru hiking.
>>
>>640764
This.

'15 PCT thru hiker here. /out/ generally doesn't know shit about thru hiking. They're more into the bushwacking mentality. I recommend what the previous poster mentioned, as well as joining the '16 AT Hiker Facebook page if there is one (there's one for every class of PCT hikers). The people are super friendly and you'll get loads of information that is actually helpful for what you intend to do.
Also: you won't die and loads of people hike the AT and PCT (not so much CDT) with very little prior hiking/camping experience. You'll fit right in and like I said, the people are super friendly. Go for it brother, you won't regret it, I promise.
>>
I'm not a thru-hiker, but I've loved having my e-reader on multi-month bicycle trips.
>>
>>640764
Yo, AT '15 here too, when did you finish?

OP, pick up AWOL's guide, do a little research into lightweight gear and budget yourself.
>>
AT '15 here, OP. I hadn't done any more than a day hike before I set out, so I wouldn't say overnight hiking experience is necessary. However, if you have the time, it's a good idea decide whether you really want to pursue it for ~5 months.

You should go to the Whiteblaze forum if you want information about particulars. Just keep in mind that you can hike however you want. Being ultralight is great fun, but don't feel compelled by the internet hype. I was carrying multiple paperback books throughout.
>>
>>640679
>I-I've never hiked more than 20-30 kms at once but now I'd like to do a 3500km+ trip
Aren't you a little bit delusional?
>>
>>640762
That's a nice pack for 2 or 3 days. Not months. You will perhaps last a week but not more, if I were you I'd gather much more experience because as I see you know nothing about hiking for at least multiple days, you lack the basic knowledge and you will only make yourself ridiculous.
Take your time, do a few longer walks where you spend a few nights outside, develop your basic outdoor habits based upon your freshly gathered experiences. Not only your body needs to be prepared, but a long tour like that will be mentally easier if the whole concept of living outdoors is not entirely new to you. Being able to handle the essential situations you shall encounter will give you a moral boost.
>>
>>640762
i have this very same pack and it smells like zombie ass soaked in some petrol product
at least you will be safe from wild animals nothing gets within a mile that has a sensitive nose
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.