[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Snowshoes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Atlas_snowshoes.jpg (65KB, 469x599px) Image search: [Google]
Atlas_snowshoes.jpg
65KB, 469x599px
What are some good snowshoes under $300?
>>
File: bump.png (113KB, 265x162px) Image search: [Google]
bump.png
113KB, 265x162px
Bumping for interest.
>>
25" MSR Accend w/modular snow tails might come in <$300.

> best there is
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-02-18-44-09.png (110KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-02-18-44-09.png
110KB, 320x480px
>>640367
> Ascent
Pic related.
>>
>>640372
or MSR EVO.
>>
>>640519
Agreed, next step down from the top of the pyramid.

Also can use the modular snow tails, but the EVO style.

Should be under $300 for shoes and tails, easy.

Try for the MSR snowshoe bag fror transport and stoage, handy.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449146131075.jpg (18KB, 411x411px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449146131075.jpg
18KB, 411x411px
>>640372
I have the REVO Ascent snowshoes. I like them. They have great traction compared to my friend's tubular frame shoes. Shoes and tails should be well under $300. Unless you're in Canada, then they might be a bit more.
>>
Why not just rent?
>>
Has anyone here tried making their own? I'm not talking for long trips or anything, but I was thinking about making a pair to kill time next time I'm winter camping. Any advice/experience?
>>
>>640901
I was about to mention this. I've heard of people making them by heat-bending PVC, and wrapping with jute. You're looking at a few bucks.
>>
>>640980
> Homeless snowshoes
>2015.925 not gearfagging $300 worth of CAD modeled, extruded aluminum alloy and highest possible technology over pvc and jute

WTF is wrong with you? Are you poor? How do you expect to climb The Great One with that shit on? What are your bindings? Pine pitch, bailing wire and dried cum?

Make some... phitt! You act like $300 for a once a year weekend hike is a lot of money. Make some... phitt!
>>
>>640980
I was thinking willow and fishing line if you know a few decent knots. I bet if you got creative it wouldn't be too hard to make bindings that would keep them on for a little stroll through the woods. My plan at least for next time I'm /out/, and if thread isn't kill by then I'll post pics and look for critique
>>
>>640995
> critique

They will suck. Fish line won't work. They won't hold your full weight in the center of a single shoe == suck.
>>
>>640984
Nice.

>>640995
There are certain things like the upturned toe and hinged bindings that would be remarkably difficult to do with natural materials, but with tools at home could be made pretty easily.

I've also considered making just a sleeve that could be framed with natural materials. I'd only consider this for a thru-hike, to save the weight for the rest of the trip.
>>
>>640901
Maybe you could wire airplane seat foam cushions to your feet and eat soccar players?

I hear that's a thing.
>>
>>641009
Is it? I'll have to look into it then...
>>
>>641000
I was thinking making a cross shape, with the cross beam going on top and in the arch of the boot. Flexible willow to make an oval, and then smaller pieces parallel to the cross beam. Honestly think it would hold my weight, as I am not very heavy
>>
>>641040
I suppose it could work, but snowshoes have been around for tens of thousands of years and haven't really changed much. You're probably better off with a traditional design and modern materials.
>>
>>641007
I know a guy who made snowshoes. He used wood (not sure what kind) for the frame and some kind of heavy cord (not 550) for the webbing. The bindings were pieces of rubber inner tube that stretched around the boot.
>>
>>641056
I like the innertube binding idea. I'll have to use that.
>>
I'm just going to buy CAD designed, aluninum alloy, high tech shoes and gearfag my way through the drifts while you guys are bushcrafting shitty crap that won't work much less last.

Must suck go be poorfags?
>>
I own MSR lightening ascent 30" snowshoes with 5in tails in case I'm carrying a load. They haven't let me down in 2 seasons of use. Great for going up and down slopes, if you live in flat land, I would go with something cheaper.
>>
>>640980
Tennis rackets and 550 cord. Boom.
>>
>>640519
Second the Evo. I own a pair and use them frequently.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.