[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best "outdoor" stove...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 71

File: BushBoxUltralight.png (181KB, 419x419px) Image search: [Google]
BushBoxUltralight.png
181KB, 419x419px
Dear /out/doorsmen,

I'm writing you today because I want to know what you believe to be the best "outdoor"stove currently on the market. I know I could easily heat rocks to cook with but I don't think the people I'd take camping with me would appreciate their food cooked in such a manner. The Firebox G2 is making waves and the BushBox Ultralight ( see picture ) along with the Emberlit are popular but if I'm going to sink money into a stove like this I want to do so only after getting opinions on which one is best and why. Maybe you like the stove you're using because it is durable or easy to assemble; tell me about it. Maybe the stove you prefer is easy to feed into; I want to know. Let us discuss the best "outdoor" stove.
>>
The best outdoor stove is a Jetboil minimo.
>>
File: EmberLitFireAnt.png (658KB, 600x988px) Image search: [Google]
EmberLitFireAnt.png
658KB, 600x988px
>>638911
Saying something is the best is something anybody can do. What I want to know from you and others is what makes it ( in your case what makes the Jetboil Minimo ) the best? An example of this ( see image ) can be seen in the avertisement for EmberLit's Fire Ant; listing why they think it is a revolutionary product.
>>
>>638910
I have a ring of aluminium sheeting with holes in it, that I took from an old Apple MacBook. It fits perfectly over a sterno can, and when unhooked, it slips right into my tiny cook pot. MacBooks do make for pretty pricey stoves, though.
>>
I found a jetboil flash for cheaps on eBay. Boils enough water to heat up a wet pack meal, make a brew and have hot shave water leftover. Takes less than a minute.

Used it for 16 days straight on one of the little canisters and its still not empty.
>>
File: image.jpg (744KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
744KB, 1024x768px
>>638910
"The BEST outdoor stove"

pic related
>>
>>638922
Interesting idea. I have an old laptop that isn't workable and I've just been holding onto it for ages. Maybe I'll take it apart and see if it has something similar to what you're describing.
>>
>>638943
Depends on the brand. I fix computers for a living, and that old MacBook was the only one that had aluminium of a decent thickness. It was also already scrapped.

You'll probably be better off selling the laptop on CL, and buying yourself a monster or other large canned beverage.
>>
>>638924
How can it be "best" when I can see and raise pic related?
>>
>>638910
What fuel source(s) do you want to use or are allowed to use in the areas you'll be using the stove?

Some places don't allow anything but gels, or wood only, or gas only.
>>
>>638980
I'd ideally like it to be able to use multiple different fuel sources but I always love a good wood-burning fire.
>>
>>639007
So you need a good, foldable metal box, that can have a gas burner under it. You've be able to use any fuel type then. Wood and gels in the box or a burner with gas under it.
>>
>>639008
it doesnt have to fold. Self Reliance Outfitters sells different ones that nest with your canteen, pot, water bottle, etc.
>>
Honey stove suits me fine.
>>
File: ordning.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ordning.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
>>639071
you can buy a stainless steel hobo stove in ikea
costs $2
>>
File: tlud.jpg (153KB, 1600x513px) Image search: [Google]
tlud.jpg
153KB, 1600x513px
I've been looking into just this a lot recently (should be working on my thesis but #YOLO).
Check out TLUD (top lit updraft) stoves. Most are larger and designed for third world fucks, but it can scale down probably. I'm probably going to throw together a micro naturally aspirated top lit updraft stove in the next week or so.

Anyway the whole point of these fuckers is they end up performing pyrolysis on your fuel (which can be all sorts of shit, from whatever wood or wood chips to literally shit) and burn the gas that's emitted. They're efficient as fuck, burn pretty damn hot, are stupid simple, and they make a nice, clean, nearly smoke/soot free flame.

Pic related is the basic idea.

Also the capillary hoop stove (search CHS-U on youtube for instructions) sounds like a pretty cool alcohol burner.
>>
>>638910
I have a Firebox and a MSR XGK. I almost always just use the XGK.

IMO If you want to use natural (wood etc) fuel, you're probably better off just getting a grill like Purcell Trench Grill (or a cheaper variant) than something like a Firebox or similar small 'stoves'. This way you can build bigger or smaller fires to suit your situation.

I found the Firebox very frustrating to use. In any conditions that are less than ideal, it is extremely difficult to get enough of a fire going to actually accomplish anything due to the small size. If your fuel sources are less than perfectly dry, they will require a substantial amount of extra energy to burn - energy that is not available from such a small stove. In those situations, you need to build a bigger fire in order for it to actually sustain itself. I had a very hard time keeping fires going in the Firebox using chipped deadfall when it was -20C outside. Over several days of attempts, I was never able to bring water to full boil in those conditions, even if I had a small fire going for ~30 minutes at times, it just didn't produce enough heat.

In warmer controlled environments when you can use the best fuel, I imagine it would be fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (514KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
514KB, 1600x1200px
>>639214
>extremely difficult to get enough of a fire going to actually accomplish anything due to the small size

This... these tiny wood burning "stoves" are essentially toys that fail miserably in 90% of real world usage.
>>
>>639183
That is adorable and somewhat reminds me of the Toaks TI Backpacking stove. I don't have an Ikea in my area but it is about time for a road-trip so I'll be sure to plan my route for a stop at Ikea so I can grab a looksie.

>>639214
>>639225
Good to know, thanks. Very helpful.
>>
>>639195
Its smoke free after the red flame.

You can make this out of dirt too.
>>
File: dirt stove.png (35KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
dirt stove.png
35KB, 1152x648px
>No need to carry extra weight
>customizable size
>2 in 1 campfire + stove
>>
>>638910
Where are you looking to camp?

I use an MSR Pocketrocket for normal solo/duo backpacking, and I have no qualms with it. Does what it's supposed to, easy to use, compact. And I use an MSR Whisperlite for 3+ people backpacking, or anytime in the winter or high elevation, because liquid is way better at altitude and in the cold than canister fuel.

If I'm car camping then a friend I go with regularly brings his Coleman two burner camp stove, similar to >>638924

I don't think I could ever do solid or alcohol fuel, because frankly, I'm impatient and I don't mind the extra weight for the convenience.
>>
>>639295
Ideally just something that is easy to break down/set up that takes multiple fuel sources. I'm fine just making a stone stove but my family wouldn't be willing to eat off it.
>>
>>639310
>easy to break down/set up, takes multiple fuel sources, inexpensive, lightweight, sturdy and dependable, looks fashionable, tacticool, 100% recycled and recyclable
>>
>>639315
Whatever gets the family to eat at the campsite, man. I have no desire to go camping only to be eating from McDonalds 4 meals a day.
>>
For those who made their own hobo stoves out of cans, how well do those work? Also, do the cans last a long time or does the heat warp them quickly?

There's a lot of youtube videos for wood gas stoves...
>>
>>639310
Is multiple fuel sources a must have for you? What is your price range? How many people are you cooking for?

There is no one-size-fits-all stove. It sounds to me like you will be wanting a Coleman, or equivalent brand, camping stove that takes those small green propane bottles. Whoever you're camping with won't give a damn what alloy your stove is made of or how it can use 7 different types of fuel if you can't make them consistent warm food. The two burner propane stoves are also simple to operate and set up/break down.
>>
File: 71EgDTJ18qL._SX355_.jpg (15KB, 355x348px) Image search: [Google]
71EgDTJ18qL._SX355_.jpg
15KB, 355x348px
I swear by these, they can hold all the hexamine tablets needed for an outing inside and if you have a lighter you are pretty much set. They also cool down quickly so are good for cooking on the go.
>>
>>639379
I can't imagine I'll be cooking for more than five or six persons. Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $200 and while multiple fuel sources isn't a must I ideally want something that burns wood given how easy it is to collect leaves, twigs and the like and just toss them into a drybag for a wet day. So far, from what I know, I really like what I've seen of Solo Stove, the TOAKS stoves. Some in this thread ( >>639214 and >>639225 ) have mentioned the Firebox ( not sure if they meant Generation 1 or 2 ( G1 and G2 ) and others of similar design are not so great although I have heard the G2 Firebox is a huge improvement over G1. I've not heard a lot about the Bushbox other than a micro-model exists that is made specifically for Esbit tabs/Wet Fires/etc.
>>
>>639325
Just bring junk food then.since you seem be clueless, lazy and broke
>>
>>639264
>you can make this out of dirt too
Yeah, you can basically make it out of anything, it's really just setting up adequate primary and secondary airflow, and maybe causing some turbulence and draft with a reducer and a chimney.

>Its smoke free after the red flame
It can be smoke free basically the entire time if you do it right. The problem is lots of the stoves you can buy don't finish the concept, like the solo stove or busybody. They've got the right idea (though some of the "theory' is absurdly wrong, like the solo stove claim that wood gas gets down drafted and sucked through the secondary airless, that's completely false). The problem is the gasses are just loosely burning at the top.

If you simply add a small aigret, then a plate with a reduced hole on top, then a chimney, you pull the gases up and combine with oxygen and they burn much more thoroughly. Of course that also creates a tall and unwieldy structure, but whatever.

For best effect one should do the math to figure out optimal ratios of diameter to height, and ventilation surface, but even just eyeballing shit makes for a far more efficient burn than an open fire. And if you get it more or less correct, you're left with a nice pile of charcoal which can be used for further cooking/grilling.

Probably a bit complicated/large/heavy for backpacking, but for car camping or off the grid living it's basically ideal.
The charcoal is great for grilling or running a forge or furnace, or biochar for fertilizer if you piss on it.
>>
>>639388
You might look into the "beaner stove". It's based on TLUD design, but is dual fuel. It can burn either biomass or alcohol. Pretty nifty: http://worldstove.com/wp-content/uploads/download/beaner_instructions.pdf
>>
File: DSC03825.jpg (3MB, 2304x3072px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03825.jpg
3MB, 2304x3072px
>>639388

I've cooked for my family with one of these. It's pretty easy to cook most anything and even little kids can operate it and love to keep the fire going. The most elaborate thing I cooked was spaghetti with garlic bread. If it had a gas attachment it would be perfect
>>
>>639390
I'd rather not bring junk-foods; and you are correct in regards to my knowledge of these sorts of stoves. I'm clueless about them, too lazy/lacking in time to read reviews on every product on the market and lack money for anything super expensive.

>>639398
Is that a Firebox or are my eyes playing tricks on me? If it is I'd love to read more about your experiences with it/thoughts about it. I'd also like to know if it is G1 or G2.
>>
>>639394

>uses heavy metal pipe, flimsy can,wood pellets, fuel gel and three pound blow torch to light it

That looks really stupid but perfect for you autists
>>
>>639399
Yes, its all we use now, my 6 yearold can cook eggs over easy on it but it makes anything really, but baking that garlic bread was a bit of a challenge. Heck there's nothing like waking up and and making some smores and warming up around this thing.
>>
>>639413
It looks great for being six years old. How often do you use it and in what seasons/weather. Finally, do you think that the Firebox can, realistically, hold up to the promo-video that Tech Bench has airing on their YT channel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zsgv9j5czU
>>
>>639419
Have you ever seen a picture of my six yearold you pervert jesus fucking christ?

I've used it year round but the wife and kids don't camp in the dead of winter. Anyway fuckoff if you are into little kids you pedo faggot
>>
>>639422
I didn't mean your child; I was referring to the Firebox. I was under the impression the Firebox was six years old and clearly misread. Forgive my error, please.
>>
>>639405
Obviously you don't need all that shit. You can build one yourself out of aluminum cans, stuff it with any kind of wood or biomass, and light it with just a bic lighter or a flint and steel with kindling and shit or whatever the fuck you want to use.

Pretty autistic to think you have to do things exactly as in the pdf.
>>
I'm going to give this thread a bump and see if I can mine any more opinions out of /out/ regarding this topic before letting it die. In the event I don't get any replies I want to thank you all for the information you've given me. My first experience here in /out/ has been a good one.
>>
>>639639
/out/ is an extremely slow board, you'll be able to reference this thread for weeks. It'll pop up from time to time.
>>
>>638924
>coleman 2-burner
fickja.jpg

It's a little heavy though for one person. I prefer my Optimus 8r.
>>
>>638980
In all my years I've never seen, or even heard of a place that bans gas or liquid stoves, or is wood only.
>>
>>639388
Just get a Coleman dual fuel 2 burner from walmart. $100, and $12 for a gallon of fuel.

You've not going to be able to cook for 6 people with twigs and leaves.
>>
>>638971
Woah... I wouldn't want to be carrying that beast around for a twenty mile hike.
>>
>>639643
Good to know; I'll look forward to seeing what is here when I wake up tomorrow.

>>639654
There are a few, not many though. My main reason for preferring wood is simply because it is so easily available/renewable.

>>639661
Actually, as I was doing some research on my own earlier today I found www.solostove.com actually makes a model that accommodates 4-6 people. They call it their "campfire" model and it nests inside their 2-pot set for compact storage. They also have a "Titan" model that nests inside their 1800 ML pot and a "Lite" model ( I think it was their original model ) that nests inside their 900ML pot.

TOAKS also has a full size and a mini stove that nest inside cookware.
>>
>>639362
If by hobo stove you the beer can style alcohol stove, they work well, don't warp from heat, and burn as efficiently as anything, mostly. But they crush easily and can spill flaming liquid everywhere. If you're set on alcohol stoves, the thicker aluminum bottles or axe spray can models are far more crush resistant, and would be worth building in a reservoir and fill valve to solve those issues.

I'm currently using sterno because I'll be hiking through areas that prohibit alcohol, but would switch back otherwise.
>>
>>639684
No I meant ones like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxODae_BS74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luO3_08iqZI
>>
>>639725
I'll admit these were pretty cool. I think I'll start eating some more canned goods over the course of the next few weeks and make several of them to test.
>>
>>639749
Make a thread with the results. There seems to be a lot of variations to the designs.
>>
>>638922
Aluminum if not treated properly is toxic to cook on. The fumes fuck your lungs. Careful lads
>>
>>639800
You are thinking of galvanized steel, child.
>>
>>638910
A small titanium stove and a can of propane in the backpack is great for day hikes in trout territory.
>>
>>639800
Are you one of those faggots that still believe aluminum causes Alzheimer's?
>>
File: duktig.jpg (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
duktig.jpg
11KB, 500x500px
>>639240

If you're heading to Ikea you might be interested in the Duktig kids cook set; set of mini stainless steel cookware for ten bucks.
>>
>>640300
I'll look into it but stainless steel is pretty heavy. $10 seems like a decent price though.
>>
File: camp stove.jpg (166KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
camp stove.jpg
166KB, 1600x1600px
My buddy has one of these and I'd suggest getting some stainless steel expanded sheet screen welded over the stove top, as the pot supports are pretty wide which makes for tipsy pots and pans when moving them about the surface.
>>
File: Pocket Cooker-01.jpg (104KB, 777x574px) Image search: [Google]
Pocket Cooker-01.jpg
104KB, 777x574px
>>
File: Pocket Cooker-02.jpg (225KB, 1147x842px) Image search: [Google]
Pocket Cooker-02.jpg
225KB, 1147x842px
>>640406
>>
File: pocket cooker1.jpg (82KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
pocket cooker1.jpg
82KB, 640x467px
>>640408
>>
>>640300
Damn that looks pretty nice.
>>
>>640300
How big are the pan and the pot?
>>
My dad bought me a MSR whisperlite when I was 12 going into the scouts.

Its still the only thing I've ever used for backpacking for the last 13 years so I have nothing to compare it to.
>>
I just made a ghetto wood gasification burner. Used two can and a shitty 99¢ pocket knife. Not perfect but I'm pretty fucking impressed with how well it works considering I just eyeballed that shit.

Only did a quick burn with a few tiny twigs, but after a mishap with some lighter fluid and a giant flaming mess on my table it looked like it was working right. Made a nice hot torch like flame, the burn was above the wood coming in jets from the secondary air inlets.

Kind of curious now as to how long it will burn with a fully packed load, since I made it pretty tiny. It's a regular bean can for the outer, and a tiny tomato paste can inside,so it can only take like <1/4 cup of fuel I'd guess.

I'll post pics later when I have time to do a full burn.
>>
>>640590
Also since the fuel chamber is so tiny I can already seeing it being a bit of a pain in the ass to load, since I was doing sticks upright and they have to be like 2-2.5" long so they don't extend beyond the secondary inlets. The width is good though, just wish I could find taller cans to increase the aspect ratio of it.

Also haven't added a condenser lid of chimney yet, curious to see how much that'll improve the draft.
>>
>>639649
I wish they made these not in aluminum.

What's the burner?
>>
Since aluminium is highly thermally conductive, and titanium is nearly insulative, why are most stoves made of aluminium and cooksets made of titanium? Seems like a really inefficient use of fuel.
>>
>>640845
>most cooksets are made of titanium

wut

Titanium in general is less common in most applications because its ignition point is actually lower than its melting point, so the only way to melt it is to create an environment with no oxygen, which is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>640879
So it burns faster than it melts... I doubt any gas stove or campfire will get that hot. My question was why make cook pots out of it when it actively reflects heat.
>>
I live in commiefornia and hate car camping, so what's a good lightweight propane stove that I can backpack with? Most forests around me banned campfires or any open flame.
>>
File: etekcity_stove.jpg (14KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
etekcity_stove.jpg
14KB, 355x355px
>>641065
>a good lightweight propane stove that I can backpack with?

pic related - costs about 8 bucks - uses canister fuel (I use the 4 season propane / butane mix) & works great
>>
>>641073
Cool, can I pick this up at Walmart or REI or something like that? Or is it basically just online?
>>
File: 51NHVYDHM7L._SY355_.jpg (26KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
51NHVYDHM7L._SY355_.jpg
26KB, 355x355px
Not lightweight but will burn white gas or unleaded gasoline & works much better in cold conditions than propane. Pairs nicely with its big brother >>638924
>>
>>641083
Walmart.com has these online w/ free in store pick up or you can get them from Amazon. Walmart also has a Sterno branded stove VERY similar to this on their shelves but it costs $25
>>
>>639381
I remember having one years ago, I loved it. Simple and works well
>>
>>641055
Who the fuck makes cook pots out of titanium?

I don't think that's a common thing.
>>
>>641242
563 results on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ATitanium%20Camping%20Cookware
>>
>>639422
How many times a day do u sexualize ur children?
>>
Is there a consensus on the best design for an alcohol stove? I'm looking to make a new one and don't know who's full of shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 486x513px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 486x513px
>>641273
Pic related - very tough - hot efficient flame - costs $1 to make...
>>
>>641278
And the design for it?
>>
>>639422
>My six year old.
>I've used it year-round.

>>641272
There y'all go.
>>
I have the MSR Whisperlite International. Tough as hell, easily most likely the last stove you will ever use, very easy to take apart and put back together (even in the field), and boils fast. Badass of a stove
>>
>>641294
A friend of mine had a whisperlite. I guess it had a leaky valve of something, it was the last stove he ever used.
>>
>>641242
Are you serious? Ti cook pots are incredibly common for backpacking.
>>
>>641273
Check out the capillary hoop stove design, it's allegedly one of the most efficient designs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHHQrh9m58
>>
>>639325
>I have no desire to go camping only to be eating from McDonalds 4 meals a day.
I've got a simple fix, anon: tell them "no."
>>
File: image.jpg (341KB, 946x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341KB, 946x514px
>>641288
>>And the design for it?

It's a aluminum water bottle stove... there's a blue million videos on YouTube showing how to construct one. Mine is a little different than most however because I angled the jets upward so they would better impact the bottom of my cooking vessel. Pic related shows the before and after of my modification.
>>
>>641408
How do you angle the jets?
>>
File: IMG_20151204_182930.jpg (850KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_182930.jpg
850KB, 2048x1536px
So pic related...
>>
File: IMG_20151204_182859.jpg (900KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_182859.jpg
900KB, 2048x1536px
>>641482
> what could it be?
2/4
>>
File: IMG_20151204_182843.jpg (909KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_182843.jpg
909KB, 2048x1536px
>>641483
> it's like an unboxing!
3/4
>>
File: 1427167236728.jpg (69KB, 631x1147px) Image search: [Google]
1427167236728.jpg
69KB, 631x1147px
>>641409
>How do you angle the jets?

Here's the pic I posted last spring illustrating the way I angled the jets. Basically what you do is after drilling the jets, you take the same drill bit, turn it around and stick it's base into the jet, then just press upward until the jet is bent upwards at about a 45 degree angle.
>>
>>641517
I was figuring something like that.
>>
>>641485
is that a svea stove?

also where's the 4th pic??
>>
File: IMG_20151204_182749.jpg (966KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_182749.jpg
966KB, 2048x1536px
>>641536

4/4

With the original key and original instruction, circa 1968!

It's like it was kept in a fucking time capsule! It even still has fuel!

THIS is best stove!
>>
>>640402
I take one of those to deer camp every year.
You can't use a griddle for shit with them.
>>
>>640840
It's all brass and steel. Heavy as a motherfucker and has two settings: Off and Full Blast. White gas.
Can post pics this afternoon if anyone's interested.
>>
>>641055
Because it's lighter than aluminum, not that it really matters unless you're OCD about grams, and it's expensive, so casuals perceive it as being better, and thus they can charge an exorbitant amount for it.
>>
>>641273
Fancy feast design. You can see it to the right in my pic >>639649
I bring it backpacking in warm weather, otherwise it's the optimus, since alcohol stoves suck in the winter.
>>
>>641589
Mines better because it folds up ;b
Even though it doesn't have the instructions, and the key is a replacement, so it took me a couple camping trips before I realized the on/off positions on the key was wrong.
It comes with the original wrench, though.
>>
File: IMG_20151205_053839.jpg (974KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151205_053839.jpg
974KB, 2048x1536px
>>641607
> missing parts, wrong parts, no original instructions =/= better

Sorry Charlie.
>>
File: IMG_20151205_053950.jpg (940KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151205_053950.jpg
940KB, 2048x1536px
>>641628
Mine doesn't have to fold.
>>
File: IMG_20151205_054001.jpg (829KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151205_054001.jpg
829KB, 2048x1536px
>>641629
Mine nests. Unless you have a folding Billy pot, too?
>>
>>641631
I've never liked the idea of storing my stove inside my cooking vessel. Methyl alcohol or gasoline contamination can make you sick as hell.
>>
>>641671
Pukeing a litte blood never hurt anybody.

Next, you'll start with the aluminum/Alzheimer's meme, so stop.
>>
>>639183
Link?
>>
>>640445
as big as the ikea colander that is used to make a shitty hobostove, fits perfectly
>>
>>641671
Pretty sure all the alcohol gets burned off. In the odd scenario where that didn't happen, the remaining alcohol would evaporate before you'd be using the stove again.

Plus if any was left before you were cooking, it would definitely evaporate as soon as you started cooking as the boiling point is only 65C.

Too bad that taxes make using such a toxic fuel viable over ethanol though.
>>
File: jiffy_pro4lite.jpg (32KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
jiffy_pro4lite.jpg
32KB, 800x800px
>>641117
> gasoline & works much better in cold conditions than propane.

No, propane is MUCH more reliable in cold conditions, as it’s a gas (upon exiting the bottle or tank) while gasoline vapor can condense in cold weather back to a liquid.

As anybody who has tried starting a snowblower on a freezing cold day can easily conform.

There’s a reason power ice fishing auger manufacturers are all switching to propane.
>>
>>641590
>You can't use a griddle for shit with them.

My buddy has one of them cast iron square griddles, kinda like pic related and it works great.

But the open-frame type pot supports are badly designed, as the gaps or spaces between them are far too large and make sliding pots and pans around annoying, thus the tack-welded sheet screen.
>>
File: weight.jpg (11KB, 327x138px) Image search: [Google]
weight.jpg
11KB, 327x138px
>>641601
>Because it's [titanium] lighter than aluminum

No.
>>
>>641776
I could be wrong, but I think it's talking about strength/weight.

Also, what does /out/ think of zip stoves?
>>
File: whisperlite stove.jpg (82KB, 1000x787px) Image search: [Google]
whisperlite stove.jpg
82KB, 1000x787px
ITT: Car campers.

I guess adventure can be found from the comfort of your vehicle, eh /out/?
>>
I use fire and rocks. Works good.
>>
>>641939
>ITT: Car campers.

I do a lot of canoe camping and use a full size Coleman stove + a cast iron dutch oven so don't make fuckin' assumptions

BTW - since you're obviously such a rugged outdoorsman why don't you post an ACTUAL picture of YOUR stove plz

>>fake ass wannabes always using stock images and shit
>>
>>639183
this is for holding your toothbrush
>>
File: 20150421_094238.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150421_094238.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>638910
Bushbox Ti, well worth a look
>>
File: 71eCB5BuuxL._SL1500_[1].jpg (144KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71eCB5BuuxL._SL1500_[1].jpg
144KB, 1500x1500px
Ive got one of the Bushbox Outdoor Pocket Stove
but plan on getting a stove and canister sometime in the near future.Wats /out/'s opinion on pic related? Ive seen the Amazon reviews, what do you guys think? Looks like a good buy.
>>
>>641065
I use an MSR Pocket Rocket
I got mine on sale for about $25
>>
File: 2015-12-06 10.19.59.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-06 10.19.59.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>641960
I'm not sure how this changes anything, but here you go. Looks suspiciously like the picture I posted previously.

>Getting this butthurt over who /out/s harder

Everyone has their own style and that's great, mine just happens to be harder, require more skill, and require more physical endurance. Is it an asshole elitist attitude? Sure, but poking fun and getting reactions is too entertaining for me.
>>
File: 400b.jpg (175KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
400b.jpg
175KB, 1200x1600px
>>641769

Ignorance. I suggest at least googling something you clearly have little knowledge let alone first hand experience with before trying to make a ridiculous claim.

Propane stoves and propane ice augers are two very different things.

You clearly don't understand how camping stoves work if you truly believe propane is better for stoves at colder conditions.

We're not talking about ice augers. They operate completely differently than stoves.

Naphtha stoves (white gas) stoves are more consistent at colder temperatures because one has the ability to pressurize the fuel when needed. The ability to just pour in unleaded gasoline which is much more readily available is also a clear advantage when you're in the middle of nowhere. Gasoline is much more readily available than propane canisters.

White gas stoves such as the one posted are much better at colder temperatures for a few reasons. The fuel is heated because it has to travel across a burner through a generator before it travels back under to be outputted. The individual that is operating the stove controls the pressure as you must pump the stove to get it going. These two factors result in a much more consistent flame.

In most propane stoves (I've seen very few that you can add pressure) the pressure is what you have with the canister. The pressure drops as the temperature drops. The pressure of propane below -10 goes to shit. You do not get the same use out of a propane canister at 10C and -10C. The use is much shorter lived and the flame is much more erratic.

>Liquid fuel stoves are consistent through all seasons and conditions.

I've never had much issue starting my snowblower even at -40C...

I've used all types of stoves over the last 25 years in Northern Ontario with the scouts and working as a geoscientist doing countless field expeditions. To this day nothing beats liquid fuel for an all around stove.
>>
>>642093
I have one and I like it... I've burned 2 fuel canisters thru it (maybe 40 uses) so it's already paid for itself. The stove is really only suited for boiling water due to the narrow flame ring but I'm sure it could be used for limited cooking. I use mine mainly for freeze dried - ramen - rice or pasta and it works great for that.
>>
>>642171
this is true. they are a bit maintenance requiring and can be dangerous to idiots, but really the way to go in the cold
>>
>>638924
>>638971
>>641117
>>642171
/thread
>>
>bringing a kitchen /out/

Just stay at home. Christ.
>>
>>641589
dont make em like they used to
>>
I just use rocks and fire don't really bring fancy stuff eh
>>
>>642300
how about you stop assuming the environment and conditions other people outdoor in. and stop using the lord's name in vain.

kthx.
>>
File: tuuuurtle.jpg (7KB, 320x148px) Image search: [Google]
tuuuurtle.jpg
7KB, 320x148px
>>642312

>and stop using the lord's name in vain.

this is /out/ friend. A place where we like darwin turtles, not jebus fishies.
>>
>>642306
I almost want to put a high polish back on the brass, but think I'll leave the ageless patina!
>>
>>642318
No both are gay and so are u
>>
>>642390
A powerful retort you got there, skippy!
>>
Anybody know of a single burner propane stove that doesn't have the burner sit on top of the tank? I like the convenience of propane, but don't like the thought of a pot sitting on top of a propane canister.

Like a whisperlite, but with a propane bottle instead of a gas bottle.
>>
>>642584

There's no danger from positioning the pot above the propane bottle - the only downside is that sort of layout can be kind of top heavy and prone to tipping over unless you have some kind of base or legs to stabilize the tank. Having the burner screw directly to the tank is the simplest design and therefore less prone to failure over time when compared to a system that uses a hose.
>>
>>642586
That's exactly the reason I want it in a hose, since it's top heavy.
>>
>>642586
Quick poll:

How many "hose failures" on your stoves?
>>
File: MSR_Windboiler-Red_PR.jpg (84KB, 850x450px) Image search: [Google]
MSR_Windboiler-Red_PR.jpg
84KB, 850x450px
How's the MSR Windboiler? Is it big enough for a proper meal I can't really tell.
>>
File: Picture 96.png (442KB, 650x414px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 96.png
442KB, 650x414px
>>642608
>How many "hose failures" on your stoves?

I have a Coleman propane model 5410 (pic related) whose hose cracked and developed a leak next to the crimp fitting where it attaches to the stove. I was able to nigger-rig a field repair with a piece of electrical tape then a more permanent solution with JB weld after arriving home. A couple years later, I found an identical stove in poor condition at Goodwill for $4.94 which luckily had a useable hose assembly.

so yeah, hoses do fail
>>
>>642312
pagan master /out/ religion says take your zombie prophet and be gone
>>
>>643016
Talk about stupid.

Show a little tollerance and maturity or is that too much?

I know Mudslims that are more mature than you.
>>
>>638910
pic related could almost be made just using three rocks or sticks (tripod), never understood the point of those myself
>>
File: maud_flanders.jpg (5KB, 133x90px) Image search: [Google]
maud_flanders.jpg
5KB, 133x90px
>>643105
the Christian started this shit, now pipe down and quit being butthurt
>>
File: dragonfly.jpg (6KB, 173x173px) Image search: [Google]
dragonfly.jpg
6KB, 173x173px
>>639388
Unless you're taking them backpacking, then just get a coleman two burner propane stove. They're great for any sort of car camping, and they heat stuff up really fast. I've cooked with a wok on a coleman.

If you are going on an excursion, the MSR Dragonfly is a beast stove when it comes to cooking for 5+ people at once.
>>
>>642122
Anon has a point m8.
>>
Hey OP don't wanna make my own thread so I'm gonna jack this one for a second.

I'm looking for a new cookset, my REI one has its nonstick coating peeling off and I'm looking for a replacement. I already have a minimalist for when I camp by myself but I'm looking for one for 4 people. I generally go camping with 2-4 people and I'd like a cookset that has at least a pot and a pan that I can bring along for those. Lighter is better.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (83KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
83KB, 1366x768px
>>641278
I like this design
>>
>>644268
Max res default is breddy gud
>>
>>640300
That tiny wok is adorable.
>>
File: Tatonka_Kettle_B.jpg (9KB, 286x150px) Image search: [Google]
Tatonka_Kettle_B.jpg
9KB, 286x150px
>>644355

I've got a Tatonka steel billy and the lid is a little wok, pretty comfy little mess. :3
>>
>>644248
bump on this question.

How big of a pot should I be looking for for 4ish people? Thinking about just getting one the titanium pot/pan sets
>>
>>644489
>How big of a pot should I be looking for for 4ish people?

What kind of foods do you want to prepare?
Freeze dried for 4 requires about 4 cups.
Chili or soup for 4? You need more like 4 pints.
>>
>>644505
I generally do noodles, mashed potatoes, etc. So a 2L is the move?
>>
>>644616

It's pretty simple...

With freeze dried, you only boil water in the pot. The food is "cooked" in it's resealable bag so you can get by with a much smaller pot. If the food is actually cooked in the pot, it's going to need to be large enough to hold 4 large servings (plus a little bit of extra room for movement during boiling)
>>
>>642122
Hipster
>>
I got a Whisperlite International for dirt cheap ($35 or something) at an REI Garage Sale recently, but haven't used it yet.

Anything I should know?
>>
>>645035
Try cooking with it before you go /out/
Trial run
>>
This is loosely related.

How miserable would you be if you just camped without a stove and added water to freeze dried shit without heating it up?
>>
>>645342
You'd be eating soggy, yet still dry food.
>>
>>645342
eat some at home and see how you like it, its the only way. freeze dried stuff doesn't HAVE to be heated up if thats what your asking.
>>
>>638910
Metal tent pegs.

> 40 € for a "hobo" stove.
>>
>>645398
that only works if you aren't in a rocky environment.
>>
>>645432
use rocks then
>>
>>645446
8/10 made me reply
>>
>>638924
My nostalgia is going nuts now.

Brings back great memories as a kid eating breakfast with one of these in the Allegheny National Forest when we'd camp there.
>>
File: 20150926_074310.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150926_074310.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>642093
I have one and its awesome.

For boiling water.

The heat isn't quite adjustable enough to really cook with that well. I cooked pasta once and couldn't keep it from burning a little.

But for hearing water for coffee, mountain house meals, tea, or drinking water. It's awesome.

For like $10, why not?
>>
File: Vargo.jpg (281KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Vargo.jpg
281KB, 1920x1080px
>>638910
Anybody have experience with these?
I hear people often have to drill holes for more air flow.
>>
>>638971
What an ugly color.
>>
>>645342
Soak it for while to let it absorb water. I'd probably rather brink a lot of peanut butter, chocolate, snack mix, trail mix, granola, nuts, jerky type stuff rather than eat cold noodles, cold mashed potatoes, or most freeze dried stuff I can think of.
>>
>>646139
>>>/fa/ggot

What's a solid, one burner propane stove that has great control.
I'd like to be able to boil water quickly but also be able to simmer etc.
My plan is to pack it on my motorcycle.
>>
>>646115
Drilling holes is only the minor problem. That particular stove has issues with the hinges warping and/or clogging with soot making them more of a novelty than a serious use item.
>>
Anyone have experience with those little folding stoves you put over Sterno cans?

It seems like it'd be the ideal solution for a lazy person.
>>
>>646665
Sterno is a shitty fuel, worse than straight-up heet. If you're using a cat food can stove, or hexamine/trioxane tablets, they work fine, but it takes like 15-30 minutes to boil a liter of water with sterno.
>>
>>641242
>third world confirmed
>>
>>644489

Take a look at a Trangia 25 kit for a good benchmark.
>>
>>638910
>Best "outdoor" stove...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNYW57qOvt0
>>
File: Picture 97.png (761KB, 682x721px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 97.png
761KB, 682x721px
>>646713
>Sterno is a shitty fuel
I sorta agree... Sterno's flame just isn't very intense. I used pic related this past summer and it took almost 30 minutes to bring 1 liter of water to a boil. Granted, the pot didn't fit the stove very well but that's still a completely unacceptable time. While it's not suited for quickly boiling water, Sterno does a much better job at actually cooking food. I've made pancakes, bacon, fried potatoes, fried fish, griddle cakes (cornbread), and rice on my Sterno stove and the moderate heat did a great job of cooking without the danger of overheating and burning it.

You seem to dislike HEET - have you ever used it?? I think it works great...
>>
>>647248
I don't dislike heet, it's just that it's worse than 90% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol.
>>
>>647320
Rubbing alcohol is more sooty.

Still, you're right. The main reason to use methanol is that it's cheap.
>>
File: Picture 98.png (627KB, 666x717px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 98.png
627KB, 666x717px
>>647320
You say HEET is "worse" than 90% isopropyl or denatured... Could you elaborate? Exactly how do you think it's worse? In my experience denatured is pretty good but insanely expensive and 90% isopropyl absolutely SUCKS compared to HEET. 90% Isopropyl takes longer to come up to priming temperature, blackens the bottom of your cooking vessel and when it burns out, it leaves this nasty water residue behind. Depending on you stove type (soda can - water bottle) this leftover water can be very difficult to remove and if NOT removed, it will contaminate your next fuel load, lowering it's percentage and exacerbating the negative effects I listed above. HEET, on the other hand, quickly comes up to priming temp, burns hot and clean and has a beautiful blue flame (pic related)
>>
>>647320
>>647570
I was under the impression that HEET was just ethanol+methanol which is just another way of saying it is denatured alcohol.
>>
File: Picture 99.png (1MB, 787x722px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 99.png
1MB, 787x722px
>>647573
There's 2 kinds of HEET.

Yellow bottle - 100% methanol (the good stuff)

Red bottle - isopropyl
>>
>>647586
It's 100% methanol? In that case I understand why it would be inferior to denatured alcohol.
>>647570
If HEET is 100% methanol that means you're carrying about 20% less energy per gram than if you were carrying denatured alcohol.
>>
File: compare.png (72KB, 569x413px) Image search: [Google]
compare.png
72KB, 569x413px
>>647589
>20% less energy per gram

If you were NASA preparing for a mars mission or some ultralight fag worrying about shaving .023 grams from your pack, then maybe this is something to think about but in real world usage you'll never even notice it. What you WILL notice though is that denatured alcohol is more than 2X the price of HEET (25 cents per ounce vs. 11 cents per ounce). Another concern is that denatured usually comes in a big heavy clunky ass metal can whereas HEET has a small lightweight plastic bottle. With denatured, you're forced to find a smaller lightweight container to carry it in plus all the hassle of having to transfer the fuel into it. Depending on the length of my trip I just carry one or two bottles of HEET in my pack (usually one) then chunk them into the campfire as they are emptied.
>>
>>647623
How fucking lazy are you that pouring liquid into a plastic bottle is considered a hassle? You can get denatured alcohol cheap, and just because you found someone overcharging for it on Amazon doesn't mean anything.

Let's compare them when buying from the same seller:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SUNNYSIDE-83432-Denatured-Alcohol-Solvent-1-qt./40891753

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HEET-28201-Antifreeze-Water-Remover-12-oz/40737402

That's 9.5 cents/oz of denatured alcohol and 11.5 cents/oz for HEET. The only benefit to HEET is that you might find it at more places that don't have denatured alcohol available.

They are both good and will work fine for a trip. But just because they will both work doesn't mean one isn't the superior fuel.
>>
File: 6846546354.jpg (91KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
6846546354.jpg
91KB, 600x726px
>>647623
>then chunk them into the campfire as they are emptied.

Confirmed for white trash...
>>
>>647644
>The only benefit to HEET is that you might find it at more places that don't have denatured alcohol available.

I would suggest the opposite is the case, as denatured alcohol has been around forever and can be found in local hardware stores.
>>
>>647677
Most hardware stores will carry HEET as well though. Gas stations will have HEET while they probably won't have denatured alcohol unless they happen to be in a place with a bunch of thru hikers.

So I'd give the edge to HEET for availability even if it's pretty rare that you won't be able to find denatured alcohol when you need it. If you do what >>647623 this /out/ist does (i.e. not resupplying on the trail) then there's really no excuse except ignorance/laziness to not be buying denatured alcohol by the gallon as it will be cheaper and lighter than using HEET.
>>
File: Picture 102.png (46KB, 624x229px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 102.png
46KB, 624x229px
>>647644
You fuckin' dildo, did you even notice that the denatured alcohol you posted the link to isn't in stock at Walmart but must be ordered and shipped from a third party? AND did you see that 6 to 7 day shipping is 5 dollars??? So the actual price is $8.03 a quart or TWENTY FIVE CENTS AN OUNCE and btw, the price I posted the pic of wasn't for "someone overcharging for it on Amazon" it's Home Depot's everyday price....

And yes, pouring denatured out of those cans IS a hassle. The nozzle is always short as hell and not suited for precision pouring which in most cases necessitates the use of a funnel. So to use denatured requires me to have 1) a storage container 2) a funnel 3) a container to use in my pack.

>>647675
Which is worse, burning your trash or hauling it out, and having it shipped off to a landfill? FYI - I burn ALL my trash plus I pick up and burn anything I find on the trail or any campsite along the way. If that makes me white trash then yeah, you got me pegged.
>>
>>647814
What are you on about? I wouldn't actually order it online and pay shipping. If you noticed, the HEET also had a $5.00 shipping charge in the link I posted. Both are being sold through the same 3rd party retailer, Zoro. If you go into a hardware store or Walmart to buy stuff you'll notice that they don't charge shipping.

When you buy denatured alcohol it comes in a storage container. I honestly can't help you if you think that needing a spare gatorade bottle is a problem or if you can't pour liquids from one vessel to another.
>>
File: image.jpg (328KB, 1141x1533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328KB, 1141x1533px
>>647824
Dude - Walmart has HEET in stock, they do NOT stock "Sunnyside" denatured and it MUST be ordered and shipped from the third party seller. Incidentally, I stopped by Walmart tonight and sure enough, no Sunnyside, they DID have another brand in stock though at 20 cents an ounce (pic related) - still almost 2x the price of HEET.

If you can find denatured on the shelf, in stock ANYWHERE, for less than the price of HEET, post a pic...
>>
>>647855
http://www.zoro.com/sunnyside-denatured-alcohol-solvent-1-qt-83432/i/G4408887/

Please note "This item ships free." Have you even looked in a store for denatured alcohol before?
>>
>>647860
Bitch, you're the one that posted the Walmart link with $5 shipping, so now you say you're gonna order it direct from el Zoro eh? What if you wanted to go camping THIS weekend and was out of your precious. What would you do? Would you borrow mommy's credit card, order it from Zoro and wait a week? No, you'd hoof it down to the store and pay 7 to 8 bucks for it. Me? I'd pick up a bottle of HEET for a buck and a half.

If you wanna pay double for your "superior" fuel in it's heavy clunky container, then pour it in a freakin' Gatorade bottle for transport, BE MY GUEST.

Search online all you want, but like I said before:

"If you can find denatured ON THE SHELF, IN STOCK, ANYWHERE, for less than the price of HEET, post a pic..."
>>
>>647860
>>647892
You dumb bastards are arguing about fractions of a cent here
>>
File: image.jpg (201KB, 1622x927px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201KB, 1622x927px
>>647644
>>647824
>>647860

I downloaded the MSDS for Sunnyside denatured alcohol and guess what?

It's 52.3% methanol !

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
>>
>>648045
Yeah, and it's 43.2 percent Ethanol. What's your point?
>>
>>648348

Not him but aren't methanol combustion vapes cancerous?
>>
>>648385
Your post is cancerous.
No burning fuel releases good vapors.
>>648045

But this post is terminal cancer at it's worst.
>>
>>645342
If you camp in the summer and can put it in the sun with something to reflect extra sunlight onto it you can heat it warm enough to absorb the water reasonably quickly. Not quickly enough if you're hiking, though.
>>
>>645595
I have three of those stoves. They're great. We car camp a lot since my wife has MS and can't into hiking long distances any more. I have a propane conversion tube, so I can use gas or propane. It's great.
>>
File: Picture 103.png (896KB, 796x720px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 103.png
896KB, 796x720px
>>648348
When I showed this douche nozzle >>647589 that the price of denatured was DOUBLE that of HEET, he accused me of finding "someone overcharging for it on Amazon", apparently unaware that 7 to 8 bucks a quart is the going rate. (I'm now of the opinion that he probably has no actual experience in either buying or using ANY sort of cooking fuel)

He then found Sunnyside "denatured alcohol" listed on Walmart.com for $3.03 and was all like "Oh yeah, see here... denatured alcohol is cheaper". What the dipshit failed to notice however was the $5.00 shipping, sooo I pointed this out to him.

He then flew into a frenzy tapping away at his keyboard until he found that a quart of Sunnyside "denatured alcohol" was available from Zoro.com for $3.03 with FREE SHIPPING. He proudly displayed his findings then smugly added, "Have you even looked in a store for denatured alcohol before?"

He found ONE example of "denatured alcohol" (notice the quotes?) that was priced lower than HEET and preened around in glorious victory.

except that...

Sunnyside denatured alcohol IS NOT denatured alcohol

Denatured alcohol has traditionally been 90% ethanol + 10 % methanol (other adulterants are now used depending on the intended use). There are US, British and EU regulations mandating the formulations. All formulations adhere to this 90%
ethanol base. (a few specific formulations allow further dilution to 85% ethanol)

Sunnyside is 52.3 % methanol and 43.2% ethanol. Disregarding international regulations, even the most brain dead jackass would have to admit that Sunnyside is actually adulterated METHANOL since it's found in greater concentration.

You will indeed find both methanol and (actual) denatured alcohol cheaper per ounce in large quantities, and while there is some variation in price on retail quantities (a quart or less) you WILL discover that denatured is usually around twice the price of methanol which was my original assertion...
>>
>>646618
Citation needed
>>
You can buy a gallon of 99.9 methanol in canada for 6 bucks. You people are fucking autistic.
>>
File: Picture 104.png (1MB, 964x709px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 104.png
1MB, 964x709px
>>648572
>propane conversion tube

Yes, those propane adapters rock!

By removing the red gas tank, I can fit 2 propane bottles and the conversion tube inside the stove for storage & transport. (I've never used more than 1 bottle during a camp out but having a backup is nice...)
>>
>>648690
Welcome to 4chan.

People spend hours arguing over things that have no practical effect on their lives.
>>
>>648716
>People spend hours arguing over things that have no practical effect on their lives.
Isn't this why everyone comes back? Well, this and to post pictures of rock formations that look like dicks.
>>
>>648717
I'm here because I tend to go through obsessive phases that last a week or two, and this week it was camping stoves.

I finally managed to put together a little sideburner out of aluminum cans, and now I'm off to do something else stupid.
>>
>>648690
>in canada for 6 bucks

yeah, but that's like $8.50 in actual dollars
>>
>>648669
It's debatured ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. Not specified to be methyl or ethyl alcohol. It could be fucking iso-octanol for all anybody cares, it's still denatured alcohol.
>>
>>648703
I like the propane generators, but sometimes I have a hard time running both burners with propane, especially when it's cold out, or if the tank gets low.

The three burner ones are nearly impossible to use all burners with, unless you've got it hooked up to a big tank.
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 1924x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 1924x361px
>>648798
Excuse my French but you don't know what the FUCK you are talking about...
>>
>>648801
>The three burner ones are nearly impossible to use all burners with, unless you've got it hooked up to a big tank.
Yeah. Then again, the only time I use a Coleman is when we're car camping and I have a big bottle and a distribution tree with a lantern on top.

>protip: leave lantern on, close valve on tank, lantern will burn 10 to 30 minutes before the pressure in the tree goes down, giving you plenty of time to get into the tent and into your sleeping bag
>>
>>648801
Propane is supposed to be good to 40 degrees below 0 F. Maybe you just have a bad propane adapter. I have 3 of them and one is definitely weaker than the others. Maybe try cleaning the jet. They make a tool for this (tiny thin wire w/ a metal handle) that doesn't cost but a buck or two. You can probably get one at your local hardware store.
>>
>>648408
>>No burning fuel releases good vapors

Uh... burning hydrogen produces only water vapor.

so there's that
>>
>>648856
I wonder why hydrogen never took off as a camping fuel.

By weight, it's the most efficient fuel that isn't some kind of nuclear. It's probably just because propane is cheaper.
>>
>>648859
2 reasons - Propane is a component of raw natural gas while hydrogen must be created through energy intensive industrial processes, therefore hydrogen is much more expensive. Also when propane is compressed, it forms a liquid which allows a lot of it to be stored in a small space. Hydrogen on the other hand requires extremely cold temperatures before it will condense into a liquid so much less energy can be stored in a given space as compared to propane unless you have a method of cryogenically storing and maintaining it.
>>
>>648895
Also it's dangerous as hell and a bitch to store, since it'll slip out of damn near anything you try to store it in.
>>
>>647814
>So to use denatured requires me to have 1) a storage container 2) a funnel 3) a container to use in my pack.

Not even him but 1) it's purchased in the storage container 2) funnels are ubiquitous 3) if you don't have a container to use in your pack how you gonna pack fuel innawoods?

What I got from your post was 1) you're a lazy faggot who 2) hasn't got the sense god gave a botfly and 3) you just gave me cancer.
>>
File: image%3A2348.png (133KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A2348.png
133KB, 480x854px
>>648742
Dear Sir or Madam:

Your currency conversation is backwards. Pic related.

Cordially, anon.
>>
>>649017
touche

so that IS a pretty good deal
>>
>>649039
I get it at a plumbing supply store in an industrial park
>>
File: HEET.png (316KB, 310x498px) Image search: [Google]
HEET.png
316KB, 310x498px
>>649011
>>Not even him
sure you're not… we TOTALLY believe you

>> 1) it's purchased in the storage container
fuckin' DUH

>> 2) funnels are ubiquitous
How "ubiquitous" are funnels contaminated with methanol, denatonium benzoate, and methyl ethyl ketone? Once you use a funnel to transfer your fuel, it's pretty much ruined for any other purpose.

>> 3) if you don't have a container to use in your pack how you gonna pack fuel innawoods?
You stupid shit, the whole point was that with HEET, you're not required to have a storage container, funnel and pack container because all three are integrated in the bottle it comes in. (pic related cuz I'm sure you can't picture it in your mind)

>>What I got from your post was
>> 1) you're a lazy faggot who
>> 2) hasn't got the sense god gave a botfly
…because I don't want to pay twice as much for a fuel that has only marginally better energy content plus requires you to have multiple containers and a funnel to transfer it? That's some brilliant deductive reasoning there Sherlock… What I got from YOUR posts is that you're a pathetic armchair outdoorsman with no real world experience and you don't have the good sense to cut your losses and give up after you repeatedly embarrass yourself with your obvious ignorance.

>>and 3) you just gave me cancer.
then crawl off and die faggot
>>
>>649011
>>649151
Get a room, you two lovebirds.
>>
>>648736
>go through obsessive phases
I know that feel.
Are you ocd by chance?
>>
File: image%3A106.gif (953KB, 330x300px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A106.gif
953KB, 330x300px
>>649151
So angry. I like it. Do it again.
>high fives for the women, open-mouthed tongue kisses for the men
>>
>>649611
I dunno.

I mean, all I've ever been actually diagnosed with is depression, but I generally either outright lied to my therapists or just didn't give them all the details.

I do tend to get certain thoughts stuck in my head.
>>
>>649151
why do u hate funnels so much
>>
>>646665
Mine is just a ring of aluminium sheeting, as a vented potstand. It does, as anon said, take about fifteen minutes to boil water, but if you're just heating it up to rehydrate a meal or make a hot drink, five minutes is plenty.

Sterno cans can be refilled with egg shells, vinegar and yellow HEET for less cost then replacing the can, btw.
>>
>>648809
Wow, that's a lot of residual fuel and pressure left in that tree.
>>648856
That did cross my mind but I thought it was only when it was used in hydrogen cells that produced electricity, usually found in those experimental electric cars.
Big deal, I got something about hydrogen wrong, oh the humanity :^)
>>
>>649156
They're just tsundere.
>>649626
>I do tend to get certain thoughts stuck in my head.

Could also be bipolar. I am and that happens sometimes. I'm usually more on the depressed side then I have bursts of energy where I feel like I can do anything and I'm near invincible. Such a rush sometimes, esp when I'm doing something risky which is also a bipolar thing.
When you find a good therapist (which is tough) be honest, they're there to help you (and your shekels lol)
>>649712
I also got that from his posts.
They're easily available and cheap.
Just like his mom, I guess that's why he's so butthurt.
>>649717
>egg shells, vinegar and yellow HEET
What? I've never heard of this, what is the role of the vinegar and egg shells?
>>
>>649717
>>egg shells, vinegar and yellow HEET

This piqued my interest so I've been researching it and, YES it apparently does work. You can also substitute chalk or plain Tums for the egg shells (these are sources of calcium carbonate) When mixed with vinegar it forms calcium acetate. Then add your alcohol of choice and it's supposed to gel instantly.

I'm gonna try this tomorrow...
>>
>>649717
>>649789
You know, if this actually works as a gelling agent, I could make some good napalm with this.
>>
>>649800
This dude shows how it can be done with antacids

http://youtu.be/E356hphckDQ
>>
>>649807
>nurd rage
lel
Cool shit, chemistry is awesome.

I really like how threads take different paths on 4chan. Who would have guessed I'd learn how to make a napalm like substance in a thread about camping stoves?
>>
>>649892
If you think about the fact that jet fuel is used all the time in camp stoves, napalm doesn't seem like a big jump. It's all combustion.
>>
>>649892
Yeah that guy is/was one of my favorite youtube channels, relaxing and interesting chemistry stuff with no bullshit, a shame his new job doesn't let him do as much shit as he used to. It's hard to find good stuff on youtube that isn't lame pandering crap.
>>
>>639800
That's galvanized shit you dumb fuck.
>>
>>642686
MSR sucks, get a Svea.

The $35 yearly maintenance kit is not optional.
>>
>>649783
Calcium carbonate from the eggshells and acetic acid from the vinegar creates calcium acetate which is a gelling agent. It works on any type of alcohol, but yellow HEET is cheap, burns great and clean and it's easy to find.

>>649789
I thought you guys would like that.

>>649800
Probably. But if it were all that effective, I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to buy sterno in the first place. It burns slower and cooler than liquid alcohol, so the applications would be limited.

>>649807
Awesome.

>>649892
Think that's cool? Fuel tabs can be used to make RDX, the explosive component in plastique. Metalic sodium catches fire (or explodes) when it gets wet. So does magnesium, potassium and several others. Mixing chlorine bleach and oxygen bleach makes Gatorade.
>>
>>650243
It's actually embarrassingly easy to make explosives if you know what you're doing,
and I'm not just talking about dynamite.
The only reason people make anfo is because it's literally foolproof to make, and until recently was very easy to get a hold of the two ingredients. A quick stop to the garden store and the gas station, and you've got 20lbs of HE on your hands.

My organic chemistry teacher told me about one time a couple of his students "accidentally" made Picaric Acid, otherwise known as lyddite.
I say "accidentally", because the explanation they had was plausible, but not likely for two seniors to have made that particular mistake. I don't remember what the mistake was.

They quietly got rid of it before anyone else found out and started a shitstorm.
>>
>>650318
Organic chemistry is a fascinating subject, made even more so by the "cool factor" of explosives, because hey... Explosions are cool. I'd definitely take the time to learn more about it all, if not For the disappointing fact that being capable of making an explosive puts you on a watchlist. And I'm probably on enough already.
>>
>>650243
>Mixing chlorine bleach and oxygen bleach makes Gatorade.

Lemon or lime?
And if I blow on the mix can I make crystals?
>>
File: Kornheiser_Why.jpg (23KB, 288x499px) Image search: [Google]
Kornheiser_Why.jpg
23KB, 288x499px
>>639225
>cutting the head off of fish before cooking it.
>>
>>650326
Really, if you know how to do nitration, that's 90% of it.

Nitric acid will turn anything into explosives. Sawdust, glycerine, toluene, hexamine camping tablets, erythritol, urea, antifreeze, you name it.
>>
>>650545
Ice blue, actually.

Mixing chlorine bleach and oxygen bleach makes sodium chloride (salt), hydrogen dioxide (water), and dioxygen gas (air), so... electrolytes!

>>650617
That seems overly simplified. I tend to make a lot of weird and crazy shit, but every time I do, the first question I ask myself is "why doesn't everyone do this?" and if I can't think of a good reason not to do it, then I know I haven't thought it through very well.
>>
>>650651
Well, buying nitric acid will probably put you on some kind of watchlist, and nitration reactions have the potential to overheat if you don't keep them cooled down.

The main reason is probably that most people don't need to make high explosives at home, and the ones that do are mostly suicidal sand people that are willing to risk their asses on organic peroxides.
>>
Wish I paid attention in hs chemistry.
Not for allah snackbar reasons but to understand how power is made in the internal combustion engine. All that boring shit like flame kernels and quench area fascinate me.
>>
>>650658
That's funny, I was just looking to see what the toxicology of different alcohols was, and came across an article about acetone peroxide. You'd have to be crazy and suicidal to want to make that. I didn't see a direct comparison, but it looked like nitroglycerin crystals may be more stable.

I'm not a fan of losing fingers or freedoms though, so I won't be playing with such things.
>>
>>650770
Iraqi insurgents used to call it "Satan's mother."

So yeah, peroxide explosives in general have a reputation for rebelling against human masters, and liberating their fingers.
>>
>>650658
As long as you're not regularly buying gallons of it, you shouldn't have to worry about being put on a watchlist, but if you're really paranoid, you can make it with a computer psu and some water, then dry it with iirc epsom salt. Nurd Rage goes over it in one of his videos.
>>
>>651023
Make nitric acid out of water via electrolysis? I must be missing something, because that doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>>638924
My friends had a basic black gas barbecue in similar size to yours in their hippie Wolkswagen camping bus. The trick was that they had a big thick sheet of rock that they had collected, put that in there and close the lid and ta da, an oven. We made lasagna, bread, you name it. Sucks you don't have a lid, huh.
>>
>>651097
>>Sucks you don't have a lid

See >>648703
Coleman oven - works great - folds to about 1.5 inches...
>>
>>651115
Cool. My friends thing was like the rightmost one only much higher (taller?) lid.
>>
File: IMG_20150813_103343333.jpg (559KB, 728x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150813_103343333.jpg
559KB, 728x1296px
I purchased some cheap chinese folding stove to try out last summer, and although I found it easy enough to cook over/ small wood fires are comfy as fuck, it was just way too messy. Soot all the pot and the stove itself, ain't nobody got time to clean that shit off every time. Made a really nice holder for my hobo stove though.
>>
>>651055
With a high enough current you can fuse nitrogen and oxygen molecules in the air into NOx which turns into nitric acid if you add it to water.

I don't know if that's what he's talking about though.
>>
>>651263
So you'd have to nitrogenate the water first or during, and then use electrolysis to rearrange the bonds? Seems complicated.

Isn't black powder still the easiest thing to make out of naturally sourceable materials? If I remember correctly it's just coal, sulphur and urea.

>At this point, I just want to see how long it takes for the thread to get pulled, lol.
>>
>>651356
Nah, just bubble NOx though water. Hydrogen peroxide if you want a higher yield. That's it.

For black powder, you need to make saltpeter, which is urea that bacteria have nitrated.

Traditional sources for this are guano caves, compost piles, and the "Swiss method" of pissing in hay and then leaving it out for a year or so.

I should probably mention that you can make a nitration solution by adding potassium nitrate (available as a food preservative) to sulfuric acid (available as drain cleaner.)

From there you could just make methyl nitrate and use some black powder percussion caps to set it off.

Or you could just make tannerite, which is actually legal, in addition to being safe, easy and cheap.
>>
>>649776
>Wow, that's a lot of residual fuel and pressure left in that tree.
Half inch pipe three feet long at full bottle pressure. That's a decent volume. It's awfully handy to use that way, and it lasts much, much longer if you turn the lantern down a bit.

I use the alcohol burner from a 1960s fondue set with alcohol when I'm backpacking. I'm thinking I'll design something that comes apart and lies flat and does a decent job of gassification when it's burning when I get time. I'm too damn busy now.
>>
>>638910
I've cooked on open fires, but I don't have experience with wood fired (light weight) stoves.
My best experience has been with white gas fired stoves. They weigh more, but I've found them to be more fuel efficient because compared to compressed gas blends white gas has more BTUs per unit of volume. I also like being able to check my fuel level and know exactly what I have remaining. Compared to my pocket rocket, my whisperlite sometimes took up less room in my pack because of the canisters. If I had a partial canister I HAD to take an extra because I had no way to tell how much was left. With my whisperlite I could simply top off the fuel bottle.

Best bang for buck? I'd probably go with a soda can stove that doesn't require a preheat burn, hardware cloth pot holder, and carbon felt or aluminum wind screen. It weighs practically nothing and can be built for less than $50 if you have to buy everything.
>>
>>641671
>Methyl alcohol or gasoline contamination
Because it won't evaporate as the stove is cooling down, right.
>>
>>651596
>soda can stove that doesn't require a preheat burn

is this even a thing? in my experience, all soda can stoves have to heat the fuel to vaporization temp before they begin to function properly. i haven't made EVERY type of soda can & cat food can stove but i've made several and they all start off slow then gradually begin heating efficiently as the fuel warms.
>>
>>651626
I think he means a preheat burn that isn't in the fuel chamber itself.
>>
File: Picture 52.png (734KB, 726x640px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 52.png
734KB, 726x640px
>>651631
>preheat burn that isn't in the fuel chamber itself

yeah, that makes sense...
my pressure jet stove requires an external priming pan to heat the fuel before it will even ignite.
>>
File: 16v32.jpg (769KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
16v32.jpg
769KB, 3264x1840px
>>651626
>>651631
>>651870
I mean a can stove that doesn't require a preheat pan or covering the thing in alcohol and setting it on fire.

The two stoves in the picture you just fill with alcohol and light the center. The burn in the middle heats the stove and the jets catch themselves. For reference I was comparing 16 jets to 32 jets.
>>
>>651929
That 32 jet stove looks sweeeet. How did the burn times and boiling times compare?
>>
File: image.jpg (433KB, 1918x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
433KB, 1918x1080px
>>651929
>>651929
I have a few of these home made stoves it's really easy to make them.

I haven't tested the biggest one as I made it in like an hour last night.
>>
File: 14900808_Alt01.jpg (27KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
14900808_Alt01.jpg
27KB, 480x480px
I'm thinking of buying one of these for cooking.

Since I'm living out of my vehicle right now, I figure it would be the easiest method of cooking food.
>>
>>653198
>butane
Get a propane one. Higher energy density, and you can swap out the regulator to use a big tank
>>
>>653212

I'll check out propane ones then. I just don't want to set my car on fire by accident with an explosive container!
>>
>>653198
I got one of those as a present. They eat lots of fuel canisters. Single burner propane stove that sits on a standard propane can is better. If you have access to a big bottle and a hose, a two-burner stove is better still.
>>
>>653198
Those are great little stoves, we had one in our dorm room and made EVERYTHING on it. Since they're flat they can be slid into a drawer, etc for storage. This Korean dude that lived down the hall had one too and he said they were very popular in Asia for folks that lived in tiny apartments without a kitchen.
>>
>>639183
I have one of these but bigger used for drying utencils.

Is this one of those things that are crazy enough to just work?
>>
>>638924
That gives me feels of before my dad became a total piece of shit. Camping in Wisconsin, fishin', and eggs and bacon in the morning.

I miss the old White Gas. Everything is propane now. But there is something about having to pump up the lantern and stove to keep it burning.

I think I need to invest in some camping equipment again and take my lil brother on a fishing trip. He hasn't gotten to experience any of that.
>>
>>651262
I used this thing many times during my holiday to Norway/Sweden earlier this year and the cooking part was very easy. It really is a bitch to clean when you try to cook using a large fire and you get it all sooty. I was glad we had acces to so much water to clean it a little.
>>
I made a soda can stove today and I saw a multitude of designs. I made one with 16 holes, and a hollow center. Is that type of design better than the penny/coin stove setup? I'm probably going to make another one tomorrow, and probably a tuna can stove as well to experiment. Any advice on how to easily remove the bottom of the can?
>>
>>654933
The secret is aluminum foil.
>>
>>654992
Scoring the bottom of the can with a utility knife a couple of times generally gets it out pretty cleanly and easily.

I'm personally biased towards the sideburning design, because it's pressurized, doesn't require priming, and doesn't need a pot stand.
>>
>>638924
Nice pipe breh, whatcha smoking?
>>
File: IMG_20150813_1946210532.jpg (174KB, 728x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150813_1946210532.jpg
174KB, 728x1296px
>>655030
I have one of those pots with heat exchangers and don't think foil would work with that. That pot is already permanently blackened anyways and I melted off the silicon handles. Think I'll just stick to alcohol and use wood as an emergency alternative if I run out.
>>
>>654992
Design should depend on the pot or pan you are using it with. I prefer the penny stove with jet pointed inwards for my pot >>655055 but the open-top side-jet design would be best for large fry pans. In general you want as much bottom coverage for even cooking without the flames/heat escaping around the sides.

I used a razor blade stuck in between pages in a heavy book at the appropriate height. Hold the can against it while rotating 3-4 times and you can usually pop it apart real clean, but I think i would be easier to just to use scissors if you can cut straight enough.
>>
>>639240
The Ikea thing is in the kitchen section and sold as a kitchen utensil holder, IIRC.
>>
File: msrpocketrocket.jpg (362KB, 1420x945px) Image search: [Google]
msrpocketrocket.jpg
362KB, 1420x945px
MSR Pocket Rocket, super light and packable. Boils water quickly.
>>
File: IMG_20150530_194301.jpg (424KB, 1260x945px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150530_194301.jpg
424KB, 1260x945px
And this.
>>
>>641278

Looks dangerous as fuck if you don't have a flat surface, or even if you do. Flaming liquid everywhere.

>>644268

Looks much safer
>>
>>655101
Any stove is dangerous as fuck if you're an idiot with it. Soda can stoves are no more dangerous than any other stove.
>>
>>655072
Since making the stove I saw some better techniques like the scoring and the stationary razor blade for cutting. The holes in the top are also too big. I'll probably use a push pin instead of an awl for the next one. The most trouble I had was getting the inner wall to properly fit the top segment properly. Cuts weren't really neat enough
>>
>>639649
>swiss volcano
Stuff's real neat. Only complaint I have is that the cup/bottle sits a little low on the stove, blocking the airflow. Maybe I'll add pack some wires or something to help with that.
>>
File: 1426965871446.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1426965871446.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>655101
>Looks dangerous as fuck
Naa, it's stable and "safe" as any other stove. I've used it dozens of times on all kinds of surfaces (pic related) and never even come close to having a spill.
That being said, check out my video of what would happen if it (or any other alcohol stove) DID get knocked over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkLLTAw7EA

>Looks much safer
I remember watching the build video for the other stove you linked to and while it's indeed a work of art, it's construction is also overly complicated and time consuming, plus it's much more bulky and not nearly as packable as a simple water bottle stove.
>>
>>655169
I used a small (Starbucks double shot?) can alcohol stove for a while, but did most of my cooking over fire last year. It ended up getting crushed on my trip back, so I'm looking to make another. Has anyone seen/used hard can (axe, aluminium bottle) stoves? I think it would be a pretty negligible weight increase without the worry of it getting smooshed. Can it be made without a vice, maybe tapping it down with a hammer?
>>
>>655210
>>tapping it down with a hammer?
Yeah, place a block of wood on top to protect the aluminum then tap in a circle around the circumference - slowly - while making sure it's going together evenly.
>>
>>655238
That's what I was thinking, but is this hypothetical or have you done it? Not that it would be a major loss if it didn't work, I just want to know if I should buy a vice instead of just winging it.
>>
>>655240
Jeez... Never used an axe can (fuck that stinking shit) but I've made 6 water bottle stoves and used a block of wood + hammer on every one. It works great. When the neck piece bottoms out, stop hammering or it'll bow out the bottom and your stove will rock when in use. Also if the top edge doesn't mate exactly, you can turn it upside down on a large sheet of fine grit sandpaper then scrub it around in a circle until you have a perfectly flat rim to set your cooking vessel on.
>>
>>655254
I appreciate the quick reply and great advice.

I guess axe would make more of a supercat, since it doesn't have a neck anyway. Rereading that, context is important.

You said water bottle stove. Is this like the aluminium Budweiser bottles? Do you know what the ideal flame heighth is?
>>
I was thinking about packing pre-measured single serving packets of HEET with each meal in vacuum bags. Is this a horrible or awesome idea?

I think the bags would be solid enough, but if not, I risk contaminating my food. On the other hand, if the bags aren't puncture resistant, the food may not be good anyway.
>>
>>641073

this
the thing actually *IS* $8 on ebay

compressed gas all day

>>641117
>carrying gasoline with you
>carrying any open-liquid fuel on you

thats not even a backpacking stove
its heavy as fuck (for backpacking)
>>
>>651262

i got one of those too
havent tried it yet

i dont think i even want to carry it
>>
File: image.jpg (739KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
739KB, 2500x2500px
>>655261
An aluminum beer bottle will work but a dollar store aluminum water bottle (pic) is much thicker - stronger - more durable.

There's a shit load of vids showing the process for making one. Here's one that I picked at random:

http://youtu.be/dDMJs0lvlNw

He uses a dremel tool to cut the bottle but I found that a hacksaw also works good at making a smooth even cut - just work slowly. He also uses a dremel to notch the neck of the bottle - while I used a round file. You WILL need an electric drill with a 1/16 (or smaller) bit to drill the jets - a drill press really helps if you have access to one.

Take your time and be methodical if you want to do a neat professional looking job.
>>
>>655263
You've got to be trolling... that is the craziest thing I've seen on this board in a long while.
>>
>>655263
That's a pretty good idea, i might have to star doing that.

Until now i've been hiring a chopper to drop off cooking fuel for me at each meal stop, but its getting pretty expensive
>>
>>655273
Okay. I do see the advantages, but I want a narrower (beer) bottle because it'll keep the jets under my smaller cook pot better, resulting in less heat loss.

>>655277
Nope. I'm totally serious. I'm going to be thru-hiking and want to make sure I've got enough fuel for each meal, without carrying extra, so having one oz or so per meal means I won't run out between resupply points. But if there's a legitimate reason you think this is a bad idea (beyond crazy and obsessively anal), I'd love to hear it.
>>
>>655273
If you can mark it and drill it before you cut it, you'll have a neater piece of work because it'll be supported better during the drilling.
>>
>>655284
well, having a flammable liquid that is easily ruptured next to everything you need in the outdoors seems like a bad idea to many of us.

Take a hint from the packaging people...have you ever seen denatured alcohol stored in a plastic bag and shipped? Just pack a measured amount in a sturdy bottle and feel secure in the knowledge that you may have extra. There are other places to save weight...ones that may not ruin your trip.
>>
>>655354
Wouldn't an oz of alcohol evaporate if left in a large bag?
>>
>>655030
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind the next time I intend to use it.
>>
>ctrl-f
>1 of 1
baka, trangias are great
>>
File: 1443042491707.png (222KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
1443042491707.png
222KB, 449x401px
>>655588

>baka

HAHAHA FAGGOT
>>
>>638924
I have this piece of shot and cant cook for shit on it. Flame always dies. Decided to get a 6$ one you screw into the canisters. Muxh better and smaller
>>
>>655284
>But if there's a legitimate reason you think this is a bad idea (beyond crazy and obsessively anal), I'd love to hear it.
If you fall down, you will likely open the ziplock bags and put your fuel directly into your food. People do fall down occasionally.
>>
>>656245
Are you legitimately retarded? You're supposed to pump them up first, dumbass, then turn the air intake lever down, let it burn for a minute, then turn the lever back up. After that, it'll burn until the tank is empty.
>>
>>657875
Well thanks i will try that today
>>
>>658051
There's instructions right on the tank
>>
>>641340
Kekd
>>
>>642306
No, they improved it with a self cleaning needle.
You can buy a new svea 123r for about $100usd still made in sweden. The only thing that got cheaper was the handle for the cup on top.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.