[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out jobs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20151108_091953538.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151108_091953538.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
Here's the skinny of it - I'm lost. My wife and I both fell for the college meme and took out student loans to make it happen. I went into culinary arts, but that industry blows. I did it for 10 years and I wanted to start a family, restaurant life will not allow me to spend a lot of quality time with my kids. I got out and now work a desk job. My wife's degree is anthropology, so she has no hope of finding a job in that field and we both feel really dumb.

Anyway, I have realized over the past few years that I have an indefatigable love for nature. I have been really into permaculture the past few years, trying to convert my family's yard into a food forest. I live in a small town and want to know of an /out/ related job that would pay well without related education. I'm down for almost anything so long as it gets me away from the desk and inna woods.
>>
>>638619
I could totally see you combining your green thumb with your cooking background and making some sort of restaurant or business selling food that you grow and cook. Reminds me of this place I visited in Rotterdam.

http://www.uitjeeigenstad.nl/
>>
>>638624

I always loved stuff like that, but things like that require start up money, and I have student loan payments. Maybe an idea for the future.
>>
Probably the only thing you are qualified for with those degrees is sucking dick. Find a chain link fence you and your girl on one side and the protein generators on the other.
>>
>>638619
with an anthro degree she can have an out job. arch, lab work, enviro consulting, etc.
you on the other hand are shit out of luck. you might be able to get a shovel bum position with an arch firm though, but that's worse than what you're doing now.
source - i'm a consultant with an degree in cultural anthro
>>
/out/ jobs are typically very low paying. I've got a bachelors in Wildlife Management and I maybe clear 20k a year working for the Feds. I'll need at least a masters to move up into a more permanent high paying job too.

The only thing I can think of is wildland firefighter, but that kind of work isn't really condusive to having a family as you get sent out all over the place. It's also hard work and very long hours.
>>
>>638756
I make it work because I'm unattached to anything and all my stuff fits into my truck, so it takes me a few hours to move.
>>
>>638756
This.
>>
>>638756
>>638759
Are you me?
>>
>>638756
Sorry abit off topic.

Could you point me in the direction of some info on that job?

I've got a wild hair comming up and it sounds like a blast.
>>
>job
>pay well
>without education
kek
>>
>>638619
Hey anon. Have you heard of Farm to Table Restaurants? Many farms around the US have added small scale restaurants on site to cater towards farm tours and agrotourism stuff. If you are motivated and knowledgeable you could reach out to local farmers (veggies, livestock, aquaculture, fruit) with a proposed menu/farm tour plan. Also a lot of farms host weddings, so it would be sweet to be the go-to caterer for farm events. Your county's agricultural extension agent is a great resource for hooking up with farmers and farm tours.

The problem is having a certified kitchen at a farm, but for the right farmer that might not be an issue, especially if they have a house on the farm. I know one farmer who has been searching for a legit chef for a while with no luck, but he has hosted farm tour lunches of BBQ chicken.

Here's a link to one place that's doing this: http://buckinghamfarmsonline.com/

Where are you located?
>>
>>640558
>pay well
>passionate about it

Pick one
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.