[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New primitive technology video out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: pt.jpg (58KB, 714x384px) Image search: [Google]
pt.jpg
58KB, 714x384px
Make a stone sling this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE
>>
>>637417
neat
>>
Holy shit these look hard to aim.
>>
i understand people had nothing to do in the old days but how were wars fought with these?
>>
>>637518
>>637522
Its why bows became more popular: slings are cheap and can be made out of anything, but holy fuck is the skill cap for these high.

I use em for the novelty, but it took me hours to be able to hit anywhere near the target.
>>
>>637417
Really impressed by the quality of the rope. None of mine ever turns out near as nice, so I'm stealing that wristwork, rolling off the knee sucks.
>>
>>637417
Fun project. Can't wait to try it out.
>>
>>637522
If you practice enough you can launch objects over 150mph. There's a vid on YouTube somewhere that demonstrates this.
>>
>>637417
Can you get an add blocker on mobile devices?
>>
>>637626
If you root it, yes.
>>
hell yes, saw i missed the chimeny and pots vid as welle. cheers op
>>
>>637626
firefox mobile supports ublock origin and adblock without root.
>>
>>637417
So, I made a couple different ones today out of jute. I'm excited to see how much I suck at casting stones with them. I think I may start with tennis balls at the park though, that way my dog will retrieve my ammo.
>>
I'm more interested in an atlatl.
>>
>>637624
Does anyone know where you'd have to hit something (like a deer) in order to kill it? 150 mph, with a decently heavy stone sounds pretty fatal, and evidently these were used in wars, but to what efficacy? Are we talking headshots only, or would it be more like a bean-bag round, where it's mostly to stun, and you'd have to finish the job by hand?
>>
>>637912
david needed a headshot. but even if that only stuns, you could go full savage and run up and finish up with a hand weapon/polearm
>>
>>637912
Deer would need a leg, throat, or headshot, all of which you have to finish it off.

Rabbits/coons/turkey, you can hit it and it'll die.
>>
>>637908
Hahaha I wish I had a dog for that, seems like a pretty fun idea. Hunt around in some pet stores, some sell these little mini tennis balls for cats that would probably work pretty well.
>>
First off, thanks, guys! I appreciate the replies.

>>637918
I was actually thinking about that when I typed up my question. Typically, people afflicted with gigantism have a propensity for aneurysms, and concussions can exacerbate the onset. But even if he was taken down by the stone shot itself, assuming cranial thickness is proportionate to body height, most "giants" have been at most, eight to ten feet tall, and assuming an upper limit around twelve, and Galiath being tall even for a giant, his skull would have been at most, a quarter of an inch thick. That's still pretty breakable, but probably wouldn't cause penetration.

>>637924
So, enough to break bones, and cause impact damage (much like a bean bag round), but not enough to kill directly with a body shot. I feel like it would be psychologically challenging to hit a deer and then have to run up and cut its throat.

Does anybody have ballistic gel to test with? I'm assuming that most of us are hobbyists, and don't actually hunt large game with stone slings.
>>
>>637927
I have small dogs, so that's actually what they have. I tried slinging one earlier, and even when pulling my shots (is that where that term originates?), it still flew pretty hard and fast. I think they'll have fun.
>>
>>637522
Very good vs armor that was designed to protect against pointy weapons. It would cause a tonne of blunt trauma from range, on mass imagine hundreds of lead balls (which is what they used in warfare) slamming into chanimail, would still do damage and possibly kill if head shot. Maybe would do concussion damage to plate but by the time plate was in wide use this weapon was phased out.
>>
>>637522
A stone or piece of lead going fast into an unarmoured skull will kill. Don't underestimate slings.

>>637912
>>637918
>>637924
I assume deer skull are thicker than human skulls, so you could probably stun a deer and then finish it off, but if you were extremely skilled you could kill a deer (especially if you had a good lead shot to use).

>>637929
>ballstic gel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-I5RjodS80
>>
>>637912
In wartime slings would have ammunition of polished stone "bullets" or pointed darts. Roman troops used lead bullets.
>>
One of the most underrated things about this channel is the silence. You can just enjoy the sounds of nature, the crackling of fire and the sound of an angry half-naked Australian beating trees with sticks. There's no "HEYOOO THIS IS DAVE AND WELCOME BACK TO MY PRIMITIVE TECHNOLOGY SUHRRRVIVAL TIPS BLA BLA BLA...", there's no fucking annoying copyright-free pop rock, no memes, no funny faces.

It's just comfy as fuck.
>>
>>637924
This. You can go rabbit hunting with slingshots.
>>
Never could get confident with the sidearm/helicopter throws.

Figure 8 and underhand is what I used to use when playing with a sling.
>>
>>638401
Definitely, everything you need to know about the subject of the video is clearly shown through excellent editing.

No shaky handheld while they awkwardly handle materials with one hand and bumble through an explanation.
>>
>>638401
He is pretty angry huh. Aww bless his little heart :')
>>
>>638022
Awesome link, thanks! I've been thinking that it may be nice to have lead shot, but it takes away from the two biggest advantages I see in a sling, light weight and free ammo.
>>
Nearly useless where I live. Finding and abundance of those kinds of rocks can be a bitch.
>>
File: 20150527_201652.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150527_201652.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I gotta try that I have always woven my slings
>>
>>638401
Very meditative.
>>
>>637522
Imagine whole ranks of men using these, they don't need to aim and one of you is bound to hit something
>>
>>638401
The simplicity is awesome
>>
>>638944
Lead is nice, but river stones are my favourite cause they feel nice in the hand
>>
>>637912
Romans had tong shaped just for pulling lead sling bullets out of people.
>>
>>637417
Slings are fun is shit. I wove when to kill time while sitting in a geology van for fucking hours during field camp a few years back.. Difficult to aim but I still knocked the shit out of some stupid fucking cacti.

10/10 would do again.
>>
>>638401
He hit the nail on the head. It'll be a shame if he gets all commercialized and starts adding unnecessary bullshit and fucking with his formula.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.