[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knoife General 7

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 58

File: Knoife 7.jpg (262KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Knoife 7.jpg
262KB, 1024x768px
Old general is reaching bump limit. #7 is here!
>>
File: 71vEb63CUYL._SL1500_[1].jpg (69KB, 1500x222px) Image search: [Google]
71vEb63CUYL._SL1500_[1].jpg
69KB, 1500x222px
Always liked the look of ESEE knives I wonder how pic related would hold up for $30.

440C blade with G10 scales. 6 inch blade 5 mm thick.
>>
>>637053
>dat junglas doe
>dat dpx doe
Noice
>>
File: 1448537988734.jpg (67KB, 941x960px) Image search: [Google]
1448537988734.jpg
67KB, 941x960px
Is this a Mora?
>>
File: kershawskyline.jpg (164KB, 1072x948px) Image search: [Google]
kershawskyline.jpg
164KB, 1072x948px
is this the best edc knife under 50$?
>>
>>637469

This has to be made into a patch.
>>
Questions:

1) What are the top 5 brands for EDC knives?
2) What are the top 5 brands for survival outdoors knives?
3) What brands make really great knives but also great gear, clothing, accessories and tools? Like an awesome reliable brand for all my /out/ stuff
4) What are some price thresholds to where I am paying too much for a great knife? For example, are the $50 EDC knives more of a value than the $150 knives, or does the increase in price really mean a huge increase in noticeable quality?

Thanks a lot /out/
>>
>>637605
interesting questions i can only talk about my choice i went for the $50 personally don't think there is enough added value above that. my other consideration was that the knife be legal to carry in my country that means 3" blade and i wanted the sturdiest lock ever so i got a cold steel tri-ad folder with a 3mm thick blade.

it should do in case i need to kill someone in self-defense.

i don't take it out much i also carry a multi tool a lot more harmless look on that one i don't like making people feel insecure.
>>
Are 5.11 Tactical knives good? How do they compare to Gerber, Kershaw, bench made, etc?
>>
>>637618

I have several of them and they are all fine. I'm not sure how they compare... they feel a little thicker and heavier in hand than comparably sized kershaws. If you're considering one over a benchmade, I'd get the benchmade. ;)
>>
Does anyone have any experience with Gough Custom knives? They're expensive but they look pretty good:

http://goughcustom.com/products/resolute-mk-iii/resolute-mk-iii.html

He also makes based videos of his knife making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ly5-1bhHU [Open]

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2YzIih9K5363N4n3ERmhMA
>>
>>637597
No

RAT 1 hands down
>>
>>637625
Thanks. I'm a big fan of 5.11 Tactical overall and I was wondering if their knives are as great as the rest of their gear. But 5.11 has all folder knives, not really strong outdoor knives, so I'll prob get another brand for knives and tools
>>
>>637605
There are no overall good brands. You have to take a look at each product individually and consider its price.

If you just want some brands thrown at you to check of their gear you can look at spyderco, benchmade, cold steel, gerber, marbles, ESEE, Ontario Knife Company, CRKT, Mora,
>>
/out is really f*d up in its dislike of gerber/gryllis products. These are by far the best bang for buck tools I've found.
Would trust my life to them, and often do.
>>
>>637677
Why does /out/ dislike Gerber? They seem like a solid company based on their site, landing the Grylles contract which is not easy, and okay prices
>>
>>637677
no they are okay but not for the price
you can trust your life on them but they often enough fail you especially the machetes are weak shit
>>
>>637677

Do you recommend any models?
>>
>>637684
no dude don't buy gerber shit
you can maybe buy their big knives they won't be awesome and not worth their pricetag but reasonably indestructible by virtue of construction. pretty much all else is shit. their matchetes are dangerous to the user so weak and shit their folders ate too poor quality the axes might be fiskars or a chineese knockoff i don't know all in all it just not worth it.
if you buy anything made of mystery steel made in china you deserve everything you get.
>>
>>637687
What is a solid brand for all of the tools you just mentioned? For a decent price
>>
>>637688
dunno man i really like cold steel because they are on the cheap side but reasonable care is given to their products design and manufacture. they have a lot of meme worthy product tho in fact that is pretty much their main focus so there is that.

they tend to use lesser steels like aus-8 but i have seen a couple of destruction tests that got me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
there are bunch of brands that will cost you more and it's questionable if they really deliver that much more.

but the truth is you can get more quality for bucks if you buy everything from a different maker. south-american made machetes usa made big knives nordic made generic knives and hatchets is where most people place their bets.
>>
>>637680

#1 They have had some pretty bad QC issues
#2 Some products they don't tell what steel or materials they used.
#3 Some retailers list them at super high prices
#4 Some of their products are design confused, like their machete is a jungle machete but they put a saw back on it and people think they are suitable for eastern woodlands when thats not what its good for.
#5 Lot's of people hate Bear

My new EDC is a gerber folder I got on sale and I have field tested it and quite happy with it, so its not like all their gear is bad but people have cause to be wary.
>>
How bad was my purchase?
>$55 New
>>
>>637705
Cant go wrong, really for 55$ it looks pretty nice. What steel?
>>
>>637705
You can get a lot of different knives for $55. For that amount of money for an /out/ knife I wouldn't have settled for a guard on the spine and serrations.
>>
>>637709
420HC Stainless
Which is moderately questionable.
>>
>>637712
whoah gerber started to provide info on the steels used in it's products...what miracle is this?
sadly probably only mean shit to new produce older models can be anything.
>>
>>637687

Ok, well still curious if anyone happens to have a model they like, but thanks for the warning.
>>
File: LMF-II-tang.png_fulljpg[1].jpg (66KB, 1920x930px) Image search: [Google]
LMF-II-tang.png_fulljpg[1].jpg
66KB, 1920x930px
>>637713
yes but then gerber doing gerber things.

like make the pommel the end of the tang or just enclose the handle...don't bolt on a pommel.
>>
How does /out/ feel about partially serrated blades (not completely serrated, just a small piece)? For an EDC knife I find this to be ideal for my purposes
>>
What do you lot do with your knives?
>>
>>637720
i'm really no gerber fan (i've had three of their products because cheap and gifts and they all failed on me) but that pommel is designed like that so it's insulated from the rest of the blade, electricity wise. It's got a military lean see, and i think army guys like to stick their knives in all sorts of shit.
>>
>>637729
>but that pommel is designed like that
No need to explain what it's used for to the newfags. They can use google like the others at /rk9/
>>
>>637677
Schrade makes much better products than their mall ninja/weekend warrior shit at around the same price range.
>>
>>637729
they say that's what it for but in reality they did because its cheaper to manufacture. Insulated knives for electricians have voltage ratings and meet formalized standards, this knife is rated to "prevents the shocks of electricity". Also since we are on /out/ I am going to apply to /out/ logic, when the fuck are you going to or even need to stick a knife to live wires ? That design is inherently worse for all purpose outdoor use.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 751x418px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 751x418px
Daily reminder that most of you knife faggots are fucking pussies who have no functional/valid excuse to carry an EDC knife. You just want to pretend to be tough.

I work in an office, in a relatively safe area, always in broad daylight. I don't do much work with my hands. I've never been in a situation to cut a seatbelt because I'm not an EMT and I don't drive like a fucking retard. The only time I would ever use any knife outside of cooking/eating would be a big kabar usmc kind of knife for serious /out/ activity, probably too heavy duty for an EDC folder. I feel like this is the case for at least half of you knife faggots, and you only carry EDC knives because you want to play soldier or pretend you're Steven Seagal.

Self defense? You're gonna murder someone with a knife because they want your wallet (which should never have cash you should have a card you could cancel at any time and only lose your ID). But you won't even stab the guy, you'll just escalate the situation and probably get stabbed. Because none of you are smart enough to monitor your body language to make thieves avoid you, none of you are smart enough to run away.
>>
>>637727
Cut things.
>>
>>637725

I'm fine with them. My edc is mostly serrated. I use it to open boxes and cut ropes. Use whatever knife works for you.
>>
>>637729
i'm not really buying the entire full tang hysterics
i think most not full tang knives will break at the blade not inside the handle. the notable exceptions are obvious design failures (sharp angles too thin neck tor tank drilled out too much material etc) and not the failure of the concept.

so for me the least of the problems with gerber stuff is that they are not full tang. i would buy some of them at a more reasonable price or would use them if gifted to me i don't think they are that shit that they are useless or unreliable. they are just shit for their price. bad value that is all.
>>
>>637740
nice pasta now fuck off
>>
>>637736
Schrade is really supposed to be stepping it up now, the schf42 is supposed to be one of the best entry level full tang knives around for the price
>>
>>637627
Gough is based but he isn't accepting new orders as far as I know.
>>
>>637058

Depends on the heat treatment.

Other than that as well as an ESEE 6 or the Ontario counterpart.
>>
>>637600

>Morafaggots, not satisfied with ruining /out/s badge with one of their retarded knives, want yet another mora patch
>>
>>637776

But how are the knives?
>>
>>637790

Good but nothing that breaks any standard.

Better cutters than some, more fragile than some others.

Just depends on what you want to do with it and if you like it aesthetically.

Also his heat treatment is extremely rudimentary. Cannot compare with makers like Busse.
>>
>>637053
Which dpx is that?
>>
>>637861

It looks like the hest original.
>>
>>637802
>Also his heat treatment is extremely rudimentary. Cannot compare with makers like Busse.

Pls develop
>>
>>637705
I've had the safe knife for years. Pretty good imo
>>
>>637053

>All those Esee knives.
> zero wear on blades

Fuck off non /out/ fag.
>>
>>637867
Thanks m8. Are they worth the dosh?
>>
>>637643
I'm a fan of the RAT and have one but for EDC the Kershaw is half the weight which is the reason I don't carry my RAT unless I'm out.
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1448788804885~01.jpg (101KB, 720x704px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1448788804885~01.jpg
101KB, 720x704px
I have not seen this Mora before in /out/. R8, m8s.
>>
>>637053
if you replace a knife's blade and handle is it still the same knife
>>
>>637945
what model?
>>
>>637605
The way i see it, there's really only two major jumps when it comes to steels. The first is at the $60-90 mark, when you start getting steels like VG-10 and 154CM. The second is at $120 or so, when you get into S30V and other "Super Steels" but also get much bigger handle materials than the glorified plastics seen at lower prices.
>>
>>637890

Yeah I like them.
>>
>>637991
I have no idea. It's at least few years old.
>>
>>637965

That's a debate that will last as long as we do.

I would argue that it is insofar it is considered to be the same knife.

If you took into account the remains of the old handle and the old blade, then it isnt, insofar the first one still exists

It's up to personal preference and opinion I think
>>
>>637945
>>637991
http://www.moraofsweden.se/fish/fisk-slaktkniv-1040sp
>>
I did lots of research before buying my bush knife. I do week long excursions in Northern Ontario. What I looked at was there's no way I'm spending more than $100 on a fucking knife and I wanted something that would outlive me even if I abuse the fuck out of it regularly.

Decided on the K-Bar pretty quickly after looking over its specs and reputation. It's one hell of a serious blade (6" fixed).

I've used it for everything from opening cans, splitting wood into kindling, cutting meat, cutting down smaller (3-4" diameter) trees, and helping me sleep at night in bear and cougar habitat.

I've had mine for a few years now and have beaten the fuck out of it and it shows little to no signs of wear. Great fucking knife.
>>
>>638068
Good enough for the USMC means it's more than good enough for half the faggots on this board who never get further than fantasizing about being outdoors into the remote wilderness.
>>
>>638068
>K-Bar
only fault of the knife is where the tang meets the blade is basically one giant design failure and a shearing fault waiting to happen.
>>
>>638073
hmm didn't know the purpose of the marines was backpacking and bushcraft, thanks for the info anon.
>>
File: 100_1353.jpg (234KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
100_1353.jpg
234KB, 768x1024px
>>638093
it's a cheap beat-up bowie style trench knife with clip point instead of spear point which implies it's not meant to be used as bayonet. it would do for just about any purpose. too bad they fucked it up.
>>
File: 20151129_140056.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151129_140056.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
My current EDC
>>
>>638103
how do they compare to each other?
i only heard bad things about the bg folder it doesn't have enough rigidity in the handle etc...
>>
>>638103

how do you like them?
>>
File: tbt010.jpg (425KB, 768x1159px) Image search: [Google]
tbt010.jpg
425KB, 768x1159px
>>638073

good enough for the USMC means it was made by the cheapest contractor. And Murphy was an optimist.

Seriously - the ka-bar is a giant meme. It's a 6'' clip point - sure, it will do basic tasks like cutting and whatnot, but really, I'd sooner trust knife designs that were time-tested by people who used them as working tools.

Nessmuk, Kephart, French Trade Knife, traditional puukko/leuku knives, Nepalese khukuri.

Every now and then, someone comes up with a "new design" (see attached picture), and some of those attempts are more successful, than others.

I mean - I have a TBT, and I like it for what it is - it cuts, it slices, I've used it as both a hammer, and a shovel, a pot-holder, i've chopped and batoned with it. It does what it's supposed to do, but it's nowhere near the holy grail of "only knife you'll ever need".

Honestly, right now, the "perfect" knife for me, is my Ltwk next gen - essentially a scaled-down genesis that fills the same role as the Izula 2, only much nicer. It's compact enough to be a good edc knife at less-than-full size of 4 inches (it has a 3'' blade), and capable enough to be a full-fledged bushcraft knife, especially if you have the luxury of bringing a hatchet or a large chopper.
>>
>>638068

My grandfather carried on through a war and 40 or so years of /out/ activities and he never complained about it

As long as you aren't a complete fool you'll never harm it, I wouldn't baton a stick wider than about half it's length but then again I don't baton wood at all
>>
>>637802
develop about the heat treat, anon
>>
>>638149
>it was made by the cheapest contractor
This is misleading. Public contracts are given to lowest responsible bidder, meaning they are capable of meeting the requirements of the given project. It's not like NASA was using cheap parts during the Apollo projects just because they went with the lowest bids on all the parts. Why would you pay more than you have to for a desired product?

That being said, I have no idea what quality the USMC requested. If the knives suck it's because the USMC was cheap and requested a cheap product, not because they went with the lowest bidder.
>>
>>638110
>>638114
The Tanto FAST XL is great very nice knife and has yet to show much wear

however the BG one i have pictured is one of a two pack i bought on black friday. finally just getting the hinge wore in and all but it seems not too bad but still to new to tell
>>
>>637684
The only BG products I like are the BG fire steel and the full tang paracord knife. the rest are pretty trash
>>
Validate me:

/out/ survival knife selection = Kabar USMC

EDC knife = either so,etching from 5.11 Tactical for $35 since I have gift card or some kind of bench made/Kershaw/shit like that for the same price

Hatchet = probably fiskar x7
>>
File: douk-douk-knife.jpg (154KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
douk-douk-knife.jpg
154KB, 500x500px
>>638515
That, like, depends man.

Pic related is enough for me. I'm not splitting logs nor felling trees with my knife so I'm alright, and mostly use it to cut food or open packages.

What do you even do /out/?
>>
>>638172
>it was made by the cheapest contractor

yeah, that's a bit of oversimplification on my part.

Such is the law for public contracts - you have to organise a tender. Every now and then, there is some kind of snafu, like contractors bidding below cost, hoping to renegotiate the contract when the other side is up against the wall, and getting burned (exactly what happened with building football stadiums in Poland before the 2012 euro championships).

Generally though, the army has a different set of priorities when ordering equipment for the grunts, especially if it has to be mass produced.
>>
File: knife.jpg (246KB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
246KB, 1400x933px
>>637746
>>638577
From the last thread

It is a Schrade SCHF9. I don't imagine it is really all that hard to switch the grips out as it is full tang and the grip is like screwed on as far as I can tell
>>
File: F05862.jpg (56KB, 700x481px) Image search: [Google]
F05862.jpg
56KB, 700x481px
>>638149
>>638172
>>638569

Just so you know, the issued knives for people that really use them and depend on them are for example picrelated, which are not cheap at all.

Also many units have their own orders of knives. Many use Fällknivens or Busse knives.

And to add to that, the regular infantryman doesnt really need a fixed blade for anything at all, he's well set with a folder or a multitool, and a machete or axe when needed.
>>
>>637874
>>638160

>>637874
>>638160

Well he seems to ditch them in liquid nitrogen or some extra cold thing for "cryo treatment".

That is rudimentary and brutish as fuck. I know I can't compare his means of doing things with other brands run by many people instead of just one, but throwing some nitrogen on the knives just like that is akin to burying the steel under a fire for "heat treatment".

It's better than nothing, but not great at all.

I put Busse as an example because in my book they are the masters of cryo treatment, and it's not some random alchemy what they do. The time they're in cryo, and other factors like pressure (yes, you need pressure, and cryo is best made with no air), environment, cooling etc are measured to the maximum detail and done with proper machines.

Again, just to try to get my point across, just washing the knives in that cold liquid is like sharpening with sandpaper or the bottom of a mug or even a stone you find in the trail.

I like Gough's videos, and his workshop is comfy as fuck, and I also like how he keeps improving, but just so you know, his treatment is far from excellent, and I seriously doubt he can do it alone without proper machines or more people to such high standards as Busse.

I like them aesthetically (although I find them somewhat boring) and they seem great utilitarian knives, but I would never ever choose a Gough first if I needed a tough as fuck knife.
>>
>>638156

The older ka bars are dif from todays, the older ones tangs are a bit thicker.
>>
>>638656
Thank you anon, really appreciated and great post.

One more thing, you talked about sandpaper, which it's how I sharp my knives since I'm a jobless poorfag. Of course we can't compare it to proper water stones or some sharpening kit, but does it suck that much? I can get my edc knife with a nice edge, or at least I have that feeling because I've never handled something mid or high end.
>>
>>638644

I meant general issue, ie the KA-good-enough-for-usmc-and-good-enough-for-me-BAR.

being "good enough for the army standard issue" doesn't mean shit. I'd much sooner use a falkniven, than a kabar.
>>
>>638752
most people use their trench knife to dig holes when no shovel is around or bored nothing else.
>>
File: L_Skeletool-CX-BEAUTY.jpg (302KB, 2048x3072px) Image search: [Google]
L_Skeletool-CX-BEAUTY.jpg
302KB, 2048x3072px
I already own a SAK Camper and am satisfied with it. I have the option of getting a Skeletool for Christmas (30$ for whoever buys it for me). Should I ask for it?
>>
>>638789
*$30 CAD
>>
>>638789
i have one one of the old models with the partial serrations love it for edc.
don't recommend it for outdoors stuff tho not nearly robust enough and lacks /out/ tools.
i work office and find some use for it almost every day.
>>
>>638801
I'm kind of thinking Skeletool for edc and Camper for /out/
>>
>>638804
good thinking then, it fits perfectly into front pocket of pants you won't even notice it's there.

interestingly the weight when in hand is not insignificant i have a folder that weights a 100g and this weights 142g and feels a lot heavier i don't know why this is. maybe the touch of metal implies weight to your brain i have no other explanation.
>>
>>638804

I love mine, I lost the extra screw bit for it, which sucks.
>>
File: BU110_main[1].jpg (49KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
BU110_main[1].jpg
49KB, 500x268px
None of you sissies Buck 110 anymore?
>>
>>638834
looks like an ugly peasant knife to be honest
>>
>>638834

Just cleaned a durr with one of these guys
Great little knife

Too heavy for hiking though
>>
>>638834

points for style, but to be perfectly honest, it's a 7 ounce knife...

And it requires two hands to operate - modern folders are just way more practical (or you can just carry a fixed blade).
>>
>>638834

Fudd crap
>>
File: Knife-Sharpening-Stropping-18.jpg (141KB, 655x438px) Image search: [Google]
Knife-Sharpening-Stropping-18.jpg
141KB, 655x438px
>>638737

Sandpaper doesnt necessarily suck if you get the proper grit.

If you're a poorfag maybe you can fancy yourself a good sharpener gluing sandpaper to a piece of wood that's completely flat. Maybe have one with a coarse grit and another one with a superfine one. Look it up on the internet.

Some people in knifeforums even recommend sandpaper for Fällknivens, for example.

You can also finish up an edge stroping it on the back, untreated side of a leather belt.

Pass it back and forth spine first, on both sides for some times. The harder the steel is, the more times you should pass it.

Dont waste your money on kitchen sharpeners or cheap shit though.

Also bear in mind, if a steel is good, you can get a superfine, smooth edge that can cut hair, or a toothy edge that functions like a miniature saw of sorts, that will most likely not cut hair or paper very well, but will excell with "sawing" motions on most things, and it is generally better for cutting rope
>>
File: IMAG0729.jpg (977KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0729.jpg
977KB, 1520x2688px
>>637909
>>637643
RAT II you mongoloids
It's literally the solution to your problem, RAT I wasn't meant for innacivilization carry.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Got a new knife from my aunt up north. It looked like she found it in a ditch so I spend most of the weekend cleaning and sharpening it. It's nice just really fragile
>>
>>639523

neat :3
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c

ok
>>
>>639617
Shitstorm incoming, but lets be honest, it«s fucking justified. Ridiculous performance from sebenza.
>>
File: 1201151922 [98333].jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1201151922 [98333].jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
ANZA

Made from an old file.
>>
>>639617

Oh the rage, I can hear it already on fagforums.

Fucking unjustifiable, and not helped by the fact Chris Reeve is an asshole in person and their fixed blades (I know what I'm talking about, I own 3) have shit heat treatment that makes them brittle and causes the superfine edge to roll.
>>
>>639696

Why would expect a good hear treatment from a pocket jewelry maker? Sebenzas are the prototypical example of a knife bought by faggots who don't actually use their knives for anything.
>>
>>639712

I just bought into the Green Beret hype, that's all.

I have to give credit to Bill Harsey though, the Pacific is the most perfectly balanced knife I know and extremely graceful in the hand.

Shame it's made by Chris Reeve and not by Busse.

Dont matter much to me anyways, I spent a bit more than 200 euros for the thee of them.
>>
>>639617
L-O-L
>>
>>639617
i would be booty hurt if i was chris reeves
can't say much for everyone else but this definitely swayed my opinion and will prevent me from purchasing any of their folders.
>>
>>637053
Anyone have experience with 15 cm steel folding knives? Looking into the zt0200.
>>
>>639676
Pretty sexy mane. I wanna learn how to do the filework on the spine like that
>>
>>639617
feel pretty cozy with my cold steel folder at this moment
>>
>>639617
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c

made my day
>>
>>639714

harsey did design another knife with spartan blades - expensive as hell though.

Can't say about spartan heat treat, nut I have an Enyo and it's doing well.
>>
File: 1448624155534.jpg (75KB, 720x664px) Image search: [Google]
1448624155534.jpg
75KB, 720x664px
>>638103
>gerber
>>
>>637740
Daily reminder that we dont give a fuck.
>>
>>639617
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64MdLjeDfbA
cold steel tri-ad lock 575 pounds still holding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCTOiymTJSo
cold steel recon broke at the blade not the handle or lock

kek sebenza
also i cringed a few times bad at second vid wtf dude wtf you are dong with that poor knife?
>>
>>637737
>they say that's what it for but in reality
No that's exactly what it's for.
>>
>>640463
ok dude. In what modern military application do they instruct people just to stab their knife into live electrical equipment ? If so, what electrical equipment is this knife rated to take out ?

I am also certain that is just a cop out by Gerber to justify their inexpensive design but if your the expert go ahead and explain away.
>>
>>640466
Gerber wanted to win a contract with the government and made a video of its uses. That was one of them, cutting through wires, and also the back of the knife has a point and that was supposed to be used to smash through a helicopter windshield. Then they went on with the blade for cutting and the serrations for cutting rope and the 3 holes to be used as a lashing point for a spear. Just google it and you will find it.
>>
>>640474
Yeah actually I looked it up. It's specifically for an Aircrew Survival Egress Knife. So back to the original point, no, I would not recommend this knife for /out/ use.
>>
>>640477
>I would not recommend this knife for /out/ use.
And I would.
>>
>>640518
Your being a dumbass has no bearing on knife quality for specific use.
>>
>>640477
>>640518
>>640520
you all would suck a dick to have a gerber lmf or even the shittiest bg folder on a desert island or if in any sort of accident and you find yourself in the middle of nowhere.

that doesn't mean anyone should buy them based on rational evaluation of price and value for everyday or even occasional use.

if it was $15 i would consider it throwing into a survival kit / bag. but for $65 i can't even laugh at the joke.
>>
>>638834
Time-tested beauty of a knife.

I've carried one for years and it has been nothing but dependable. Treat it well and it will treat you well.

I'm going to order a custom with nickel bolsters and bone handles w/fingergrooves in s30v.

It's not that heavy unless you are a manlet or have an improperly fit belt, and I've never been in a situation where "i need to open it with one hand for some reason." <---(Those are User-created problems btw)

Perfect for preparing and eating fish and game.
>>
File: DSCF0144.jpg (637KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0144.jpg
637KB, 1600x1200px
>>640520
You being an idiot don't understand that maybe, just maybe I own 2 knives. I might even own more than 2.
>>
File: DSCF0403.jpg (574KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0403.jpg
574KB, 1600x1200px
>>640952
In fact I might own more than 3
>>640761
>poorfag
>>
>>640952
how do you like the adamas? would you consider it for shtf/happening?
>>
>>640952
>>640953

you bought a knife that was trailed for cutting up a crashed airplane and getting booty blasted when people tell you the design and price isn't desirable for typical outdoor use. Go post on /k/ if you don't want to be offended.
>>
>>640985
>how do you like the adamas? would you consider it for shtf/happening?
I use it for hunting. I just happened to be carrying it when I shot a deer and it did real good at processing. I would consider it for SHTF.
>>640993
stop being jealous.
>>
>>641199

You know when you call ppl fags, you end up coming off as some edgy teenager, not as an adult? So stop being an immature retard, your opinions would actually be considered, instead of ppl reporting or setting your posts to ignore.
>>
>>638103

I'm sorry for your lost.
>>
For all you who get your panties in a knot whenever batoning is mentioned "cuz knives break if you baton!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_sMlxyD7hk
>>
File: 1432518329782.jpg (26KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
1432518329782.jpg
26KB, 495x495px
>>641244
>batoning
>>
>>641244
here's some done with a knife that isn't just a sharpened prybar:

https://youtu.be/RCQR6xymR2g?t=767
>>
>>640953
well i'm not exactly poorfag here in fact i would be in the top 2% income wise but consumer products have a pretty fixed price around the globe thanks to free commerce and my salary is really shit in a global reference. so yeah when i don't absolutely need something i'm gonna look at the price-tags and what's behind it real hard. and definitely wouldn't pay more for a shit chineese knife than what i would for a mediocre nordic blade.
>>
>>638103
I have bought tons of low quality knives along the years just for the fun of it. I don't have many better ones but I do have that Bear Grylls knife and I consider it to be one of the good ones. There's a notable difference between the lower quality ones and that one, it doesn't lose its edge. It's carbon steel blade and I really like it. The only bad thing about it is the half-serrated edge which I have zero need for. I already ordered the new version of it which is full fine edge blade. I hope they didn't lower the quality along the way, I only want to get rid of the serrated part.
>>
Can someone roughly translate for me what this guy is saying? Looks like a decent review but it would be cool to understand what he actually says. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Am2cRE6y8
>>
>>641593
He says a good knife but better suited to smaller tasks. The sheath is good and gets the job done. He says that uses olive oil to take care of the blade but that some people say it's better to use motor oil. In the end he says that the 60 € price it's very reasonable and also says you can get the same knife with a smaller blade, 10cm instead of 14cm. Pretty much this.
>>
>>641797
looks awfully unimpressive to me for 60 euros
>>
I'm pretty ignorant about knife sharpening and maintenance. What do I need to do to keep my ZDP-189 blade razor sharp?
>>
>>641814

not using it ;P
>>
>>641814
general thumb of rule carbides will ablate any metal with ease
>>
Has anyone ever ordered a Kukri from Kukri House? It's been a month now and I'm at the point where I'm going to start bitching. I haven't heard anything from them except "we got your order". No shipping email or tracking number.

I'm thinking though it may be just that it's a foreign order.
>>
>>641814

ZDP-189 is both typically run at a very high hardness and has a fairly large carbide volume. Ideally, to sharpen it in a reasonable time frame you would want diamond plates or very aggressive waterstones designed for high speed steel.

If you want a highly polished apex finish, then waterstones are massively the better choice. If you want a coarse finish, then diamond plates will work.
>>
>>641845

Ex Gurkha Khukuri House? If so, yes, I never had trouble with them, though sometimes there's a delay.
>>
>>641869
It was thekhukurihouse. But if you had delays sometimes then that's what I'm thinking because they ship over seas.
>>
File: 144936947893248289258.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
144936947893248289258.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Victorinox Huntsman. Recent addition to replace my beat up Climber.
>>
>>641865
si-carbide stones are cheap and will get it done unless the blade is diamonds
>>
>>641865
I've read that it's much easier to do to "touchups" than straight out sharpening due to its hardness. Should I be stropping with leather? What exactly is stropping?
>>
>>641885

Yes, a Norton Crystolon type silicon carbide oil stone would also work, but since the finest grit they come in is about 320 and very few people buy ZDP-189 planning to run ~300 grit edges with it, I figured diamond plates or aggressive waterstones would be more relevant options.
>>
>>641888
wtf are you smoking? si-carbide goes up to F1200 which is like 1600-2000 grit in us
>>
>>641886

Okay, "stropping" is, fundamentally, making edge-trailing strokes on a pliable substrate (leather, linen, denim, balsa wood), usually loaded with a fine abrasive compound.

The way a strop with a "honing" compound works is that the flexibility of the medium the compound is applied to causes the creation of a microscopic convex bevel that sharpens very quickly because it is tiny (,literally too small to be seen with the naked eye) and people will "touch up" their knives by stropping between uses.

Personally, I prefer using a solid sintered ceramic abrasive (like a Spyderco stone) to micro-bevel with edge-leading strokes made with very low force and with a lubricated stone because I feel there is less chance of rounding over the apex than with a strop.
>>
>>641891

Available from where? I am not familiar with silicon carbide oil stones in those grits.
>>
>>641886

Honestly, I would stay away from steels like ZDP-189 if you are not prepared to buy the equipment to sharpen them regularly. It is too easy to end up falling into the trap of being afraid to use the knife because you are afraid of having to sharpen it.
>>
>>641895
well i only knew local source never imagined it's not universally available
http://haidu.hu/gb_hcp.html
>>
>>641897
>website.hu

Now it makes sense! I'd heard there were higher grit oil stones available in Europe than in NA.

Yeah, in North America it is very difficult to find any silicon carbide oilstones above a Norton Crystolon fine.
>>
>>641883
Lookin' good anon. I really want a small SAK with a serrated blade. The alox bushcrafter would be perfect but it's fairly expensive and hard to find.
>>
>>637680
The models made in Portland are ok, but the rest is fairly hit or miss, made-in-china mediocrity, from a company that used to be the pride of the northwest. So depressing. At least we still have Benchmade and Leatherman.
>>
>>641911
you can order from them even if they don't have a webshop
altho diamond sharpeners in the us are at comparable price
i heard they are too aggressive and many people wouldn't touch their blade with them
>>
>>642034

Diamond plates have certain strengths and weaknesses relative to silicon carbide oilstones or to aggressive waterstones:

They are fairly fast, totally flat, require minimal maintenance, work well with light force, and can put a very aggressive slicing edge on a knife quickly.

The downsides are that diamond plates have a strong tendency to create a large, ragged burr, they leave a coarser scratch pattern than you would expect from their grit rating because the entire abrasive particles are exposed above the plate, they load, and can be damaged by excessive force.

I massively prefer waterstones over all the alternatives, but some people really like diamond plates.
>>
>>642036
the haidu are waterstones but can be used with oil too once used with oil tho they won't function with water anymore only oil.
they are not particularly good for field sharpening because you have to soak them a lot before use. unless you use them with oil in which case it's a whole lot more messier on the other hand.

apparently diamond "stones" don't need water or lubricants which makes them pretty good for touch-up work.

i'm pretty hesitant which one to get. in theory i like the wetstones better too, but they would be a mess innawoods.

i don't really want to get two entire sets for field and home use either. even if i was a richfag i would think twice before buying all that junk to use it once or twice a year.
>>
>>641845

Yeah they are good shit.
>>
File: Good Pic.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Good Pic.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I finished this today got about 6 hours into it sheath is in the works. Blade is forged from a file, handle is curly maple from a hardwood pallet and the bolster is from a brass kick plate. What does /out/ think of a knife that will do knife stuff and not axe stuff?
>>
File: 4L_QF37y9zs.jpg (181KB, 1000x1329px) Image search: [Google]
4L_QF37y9zs.jpg
181KB, 1000x1329px
>>641883
Nice SAK, I just got the climber myself. I see you got the eyeglass screwdriver, you got the pin that hides by the corkscrew as well?
>>
>>642360
I dig it, nice knife

>What does /out/ think of a knife that will do knife stuff and not axe stuff?

I don't mind at all, if i'm bringing a little knife then the axe or hatchet is coming also.
>>
File: geberbaby.jpg (865KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
geberbaby.jpg
865KB, 1936x1936px
I just ordered a Gerber Strongarm with the fine edge. Did I fuck up? Should I get a Becker BK2 instead for another $20? Other ideas are welcome.

I'm looking for a durable knife for utility and basic bushcraft.
>>
What are some good knives that fit these specs?
>1/8"-3/16" thick
>5"-6" long blade
>full tang
>fixed blade
> hc steel
> under $120 USD
>>
>>642465
While it might not be optimal, its still serviceable. I would just get it and use it. Lots of people have strong opinions about knives but that's with them assuming specifics about your usage. That's a good knife to get to see what features you like/ don't like about it.
>>
>>642473
check out http://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/survival-knives-3/?sort=pricedesc
>>
>>637597
I prefer my edc. Aluminum handle, and the best open assist I've ever used. (Pic related, not my pic)
>>
>>642477
Thanks a lot. The Jeff white knives are the exact pictures I had in my head.
>>
>>642507
yeah I would shop around since i have no idea what pricing is like on other sites for those knives, i just linked that because I know those are the type of knives they like to stock.
>>
>>642480

I have a link in my collection. Pretty neat - good blade geometry, and handle design. And very smooth operation thanks to phosphor-bronze washers.

Not bad at all.
>>
>>642540
I've only recently started collecting (this year). I have a leatherman rebar, the Blackwash link (edc) and the nicest (material wise) is a buck vantage pro large that I got at that case factory outlet store in MO for like 30 bucks off. S30v blade and g10 grips.
>>
>>642364

Just ordered it anon. Climber will serve you well.
>>
>>642477
pretty solid info there pretty funky prices tho
i like the dude but wouldn't buy a pin from him
>>
Anyone have any systematic approach to selecting a small knife for bushcraft / survival purposes ? I already know what i want to look for in things like belt knives, axes, saws, big knives, machetes, etc but small knives I am having trouble justifying my choice. For small knives you have a lot of options, you can run old school jack knives, modern folders, neck knives and lightweight fixed blades, knives w/ multi tool or multi blade options, etc.
>>
File: 11603472.jpg (327KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
11603472.jpg
327KB, 1000x667px
>>642836
>>
File: 53656.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
53656.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>642949
Nice
>>
>>642836

high carbon steel, uncoated, sharp 90 deg spine, 5/32 thick, 5 inch blade.

Dave Canterbury's criteria.
>>
File: 1428049818121.jpg (5KB, 205x250px) Image search: [Google]
1428049818121.jpg
5KB, 205x250px
>>637053

I bought a $3.95 knife from Walmart.

Am I cool guys?
>>
File: IMG_2682.jpg (408KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2682.jpg
408KB, 1600x1200px
>>642836
~4" blade with good belly ~3mm(1/8th) thick
Prefer it to have a pinch point in the handle behind the edge.
Edge needs to run all the way up to beginning of the handle, no choils - sharpening notch is ok though.
Full flat grind, or close to it

Kephart type knives tick a lot of my boxes
>>
File: Fire-Steel.jpg (145KB, 450x900px) Image search: [Google]
Fire-Steel.jpg
145KB, 450x900px
>>642836
for a small knife i would have a 3" folder with a bomb proof lock like the cold-steel ones. my backup blade when out is a mini recon i carry it edc too. it is the most likely knife i will have on me if something habbens. i also want to get one of these or make one like this to be a keychain piece or something because it will do everything else besides cutting that survival-fags want from a knife.
>>643068
>small
kek that's criteria for the belt knife muh nigga.
>>
>>641813
>no serrations or other stupid shit
>unimpressive
Are you 12 or something?

Is this better:
http://guide.alibaba.com/shop/15-rambo-ii-style-survival-knife-with-black-blade-and-sheath-sur521-150b_9516532.html
>>
>>643081

fcuk, i missed the "small" in there. I just carry a 3'' fixed blade as my edc.
>>
>>642013

You do know that Gerber only makes crap in the u.s. none of their shit is made over seas? I worked for their customer service for a number of yrs, left only a few months ago due to a douche boss.
>>
>>643229
It's depressing you don't know basic shit about a company you were with for years.
>>
There's no axe thread so I'll ask here.

Is there a really lightweight useful axe or are they all reasonably heavy?
>>
>>643241
Tomahawk.
>>
>>643241
define lightweight. also keep in mind if you are carrying an axe for sure with you, you can make up the pack weight but carrying lighter knives, since there will no longer need to do stuff like baton, chop, pry, hammer, etc with it.
>>
>>643241
The function of an axe in outdoors use is totally dependant on it's weight. A light axe is not good at chopping and splitting wood, a heavy one is. That should get your thoughts going.
>>
>>643246
desu I don't really know anything about axes or knives or really /out/ stuff in general. Can you just use knives to gather wood for a fire?
>>643247
Ah fair enough.
>>
>>643248
With a knife the size of an RD-6 or larger.
>>
>>643251
>£91

That's a lot for a knoife
>>
>>643248
If you were going to carry an axe, how about a machete? There are different sizes and in some cases it might even work as a knife for you.
>>
>>643252
It's a lot cheaper on my side of the pond. Sorry Anon. Keep looking, maybe you'll find it cheaper, or something similar.
>>
>>643253
Aren't they a pain to pack/carry?
>>643254
>or something similar
What should I look for exactly? Could I just use a small saw? Would that be useful?
>>
>>643248
>Can you just use knives to gather wood for a fire?
yeah you can. you can also carry a folding saw, a lot safer and easier to use than an axe if you dont have experience.
>>
>>643257
Sounds good cheers. Any you'd recommend?
>>
>>643255
What's your budget? I'll look around for you. I personally don't like using hand saws, but I know some people do.
>>
>>643262
Honestly I'm more browsing than buying any time soon, but it's probably be £30

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/73-Bahco-Laplander-Folding-Saw/

This seems to have good reviews.
>>
>>643263
That looks decent. Something of similar size to go with it would probably serve you well: http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/cold-steel-outdoorsman-lite-6489-p.asp
>>
File: knoife.jpg (17KB, 601x261px) Image search: [Google]
knoife.jpg
17KB, 601x261px
>>643265
>Country of Origin:Taiwan

You sure that's alright?

Also unrelated but some knives have the serrated bit like in pic related, what is it for?
>>
>>643266
Taiwan is fine for that brand. Half serrations are pretty much a half-assed saw. Some people like them, some people don't. I personally don't, they're a bitch to sharpen.
>>
File: D3A40zb.jpg (652KB, 1256x1631px) Image search: [Google]
D3A40zb.jpg
652KB, 1256x1631px
Uncle Ray has been talking to Spyderco lately.
>>
>>643288

Woohoo more compression locks! And it looks good overall. That's awesome.
>>
>>643288
i kek at spiderco fags who say silly nonsense like the compression lock is comparable to the tri-ad in strength.
i have seen tri-ads batoned and hold more weight than i care to be around.
but sure the compression lock seems nice enough for most purposes. too bad it's not ambidextrous.
>>
>>643309

You mean you watched that one youtube video where Cold Steel fake a load of stupid shit?

Stupid.

Shit.

Get a grip man.
>>
>>643313
not just cold steel tho people been doing stupid shit with the cold steel folders like shooting them with sniper rifles and shit like that.
they come through.
>>
>>643318

It'd retarded, it's like people don't realise that years ago a dude from blade forums took hinderers and striders and chris reeves and a few of the popular customs of the time, put them in a vice and tapped them all with a 2x4. Every single one closed. Do you know why they closed? Because they're folding fucking knives. Cold Steel are showing us that folding knives, including their own, fold under stress and people are acting like this is some kind of revelation.

I remember seeing somebody shoot an American Lawman and you know what it did? Like most thing you shoot with a fucking gun, it broke. Obviously.

I'm probably just being trolled here and I know everyone's going to be like hurr durr stupid tripfag but christ, get a fucking grip on reality. A high proportion of Cold Steel designs are complete fucking bullshit and no amount of middle ages men with 2 foot pony tails hitting rubber snakes with special tactical african fighting sticks is going to convince me otherwise.
>>
>>643322
yeah well they hold up like 2 times better at $60-$90 than knives at $300-$400 and it's pretty much proven a countless times by cold steel and by others reviewing them.

that is a different matter if you should really expect folding knifes not to fold if you fall on them with all your body-weight or not.

i like my stuff cheap and sturdy even if the opening action is not nearly as smooth as some high-end competitions.
>>
>>643322
Yeah man, I really don't get the point of these hurr durr impossible to break folding knives. They're fucking folders. The strongest folder in the universe will still be weaker than a cheap full tang fixed blade. If strength matters more than anything else to you just buy a damn game warden or a bradford guardian 3 or whatever and EDC that...
>>
>>643325
not really, if you watch the videos almost all cold steel folder will break on the blade
which is where almost all fix blades will break.
which puts them in the same league.
and to be fair a great number of other folders will break at the blade not the lock or the handle. but they will have more blade play form the same abuse and more potential to failure of locking.
>>
>>643329
almost forgot to mention my biggest disappointment with the cold-steel mini recon i have it's not easy to open one handed. at all. i even feel i could fuck this up if i had to deploy the blade in a hurry like self-defense or whatever.
second thing i didn't like the g10 handle is like a rasp for some reason it doesn't feel very good out of box. it has excellent traction sure but maybe too much.
not a fan of the coating either so it's not all fun and games.
but it's light and pretty indestructible seen some very convincing tests and destruction vids and still cheap enough for me with a serviceable steel. so overall i love it. i will just correct the stuff i don't like maybe sand up the handle a bit to make it smoother remove the coating and make the blade move easier than out of box.
>>
File: DSCF0445.jpg (634KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0445.jpg
634KB, 1600x1200px
>>643322
>and a few of the popular customs of the time, put them in a vice and tapped them all with a 2x4. Every single one closed.

Where was this? I could only find 1 for my ADAMAS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwwLWQk664
>>
>>643288
fucking spyderco and their stupid ass holes.
>>
File: img-cold-steel-recon-1-05.jpg (39KB, 640x446px) Image search: [Google]
img-cold-steel-recon-1-05.jpg
39KB, 640x446px
>>643338
i guess i have to add one more pint to my grievance list again something i will most likely be able to correct myself.
wtf cold steel? wtf? do you guys even know what that little semi-circle thing is supposed to be there for at the end of the edge?
>>
File: 20151209_210023.jpg (942KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20151209_210023.jpg
942KB, 2560x1536px
Please excuse shit photo, but could any scouts offer info on this knife? Picked it up at a gun show about a year ago, only marks on it say sheffield, England.

It's impractical for everything I do, but I'm rather partial to it
>>
>>638861
Peasant knife for sure, but ugly? Hardly.
Who wants to look like an aristocrat out in the woods anyway? Peasant chic is the way to go
>>
>>643364
Haha, I'd never even noticed.
>>
>>643364
Noob here, what are you alking about?
>>
File: kwik thumb stud brass2.jpg (102KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
kwik thumb stud brass2.jpg
102KB, 600x600px
>>638861
>looks like an ugly peasant knife to be honest

It can be tricked it out with a thumb-stud and nice sheath for a yeoman tier knife.
>>
File: sheath Buck knife.jpg (66KB, 640x413px) Image search: [Google]
sheath Buck knife.jpg
66KB, 640x413px
>>643676
>and nice sheath
>>
I'm a bit new when it comes to the whole knife thing. I decided on a mora since they seem to stand up well to abuse, especially for the price. Now my question is: Sandvik12c27 steel or carbon steel? What's the difference?

Also, what price should I expect for a hatchet as a beginner who needs something decent but cheap to fuck around with?
>>
>>643682
Having good tools is a nice thing, but all depends on what you use them for. Apart from the satisfaction of owning and using a fine and proven tool, any $20 hardware store hatchet is going to be just fine.
>>
>>643364

That's absolutely fucking laughable.
>>
>>643258
not that anon but I prefer silky saws, they can be pricey but if you include them in your regular searches you can find them on sale for reasonable prices.
>>
>>643682
I agree with >>643713
I picked up a marbles camp axe on sale for $17 and it has held up surprisingly well, paired with a mill file or a lansky puck and your good to go
>>
>>643713
>>643719
Thanks guys!
>>
I found a set of Bahco Laplander Saw with a Bahco knife that goes with it for around 36 euros/40 dollars.
I know the saw is good, but is the knife any good at all? Its kinda Mora designish.
Any experience with it? Should I buy?
>>
>>643633
edge not brought to the mini choil
makes mini choil pointless weakening of blade

mini choil is supposed to make sharpening easier
>>
>>643851
Oh, I see. I'm only familiar with traditional knives so it didn't really tick me off.
>>
>>643364

Their lock system and the handles are top notch for the price, but the blades and steels are shit.
>>
>>643905
I can't speak of the blades or their heat treat but plenty of the steels they're using atm are great, CPM 3V, CTS-Xhp, VG-1, D2, 52100 and that's ignoring the fact that Aus-8 is a good budget steel, especially for folders.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 1500x721px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 1500x721px
How bad is pic related?
>>
>>644218
It is okay
>>
>>642480
Well, what's it called?
>>
>>643905
aus-8a is not exactly shit it's pretty much the same as 440c
for the price you will not get better steel nowhere
>>
>>644243
oh and one more point
cold steel seem to know their shit when it comes to heat treat and that is the most important aspect of blades.

the aus8a van be shit and pretty damn good depending on heat treat. based on the youtube reviews cold steel does a good job on them mostly.
>>
>>644243
Cold Steel is phasing out AUS8A steel to American CTS XHP steel on their folders and is changing some of their coatings as well.
>>
>>644218
They are pretty sturdy. They can have some minor issues like not being perfectly straight, bevel being off, and tang/grip alignment uncomfortable but the blade itself will hold up.
>>
>>644251

They been getting better on their CQ. For a while it was kinda bad there. They been stepping up their game and doing much better.
>>
File: 20151210_110243.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151210_110243.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Not a fan of folders, but it's legal to carry this concealed where I'm at, which is not the case for a fixed blade. I carry a Browning fixed blade (made in Italy) when in the woods.

This has been a great knife, takes all kinds of abuse and keeps an edge pretty well. Little bit of stone once in a while and it cuts like a razor.
>>
File: 20151210_105730.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151210_105730.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>644261
goddamn phone always flips the pics, sorry.
>>
>>644249
how can you tell which one you got?
i recently bought mine but i assumed it was still aus8a
>>
>>644307
If it was suddenly more expensive it's the new steel
>>
>>644315
yeah i figured it out, also the article no is different
mine is 27tms and the new version is 27tmcs :(
but on the other hand i got it for real cheap from ebay about half the price they sell the new ones here
>>
File: DSC_0073.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0073.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Renewed my knifu.

Took away the black coating, that was a bit too poor for my taste and stained wood and food when cutting.

Also found a nice leather sheath that originally came with a hand made knife I also own
>>
File: DSC_0075.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0075.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Fallkniven plastic sheaths are great despite what most youtubers say, but they are a bit ugly and very purpose specific (extreme cold, extreme moisture, extreme dirtyness etc...)

Curiously enough, this sheath fits the A1 better than the knife it was designed for
>>
>>644578
>>644577
Looking good but you should take care of your edge, spaniardbro
>>
How do you clean knives? Say you cut some meat, how would you clean it?
>>
>>644727
water and soap, but I'm a stainless masterrace.
>>
>>644732
Will soap kill bacteria etc though?
>>
>>644739
if your knife is clean then the amount of bacteria on the surface is negligible.
if i stick my knife into something very nasty i wipe it down with hygienic wipes tho but i'm pretty ocd.
the truth is to sterilize a blade you need to keep it at 200C for 10 minutes or at 160C for 45 minutes as they do with medical scalpels and such after thoroughly cleaning them.
>>
>>644748
Didn't think about antiseptic wipes, they would work. Thanks m8
>>
>>644725

Edge is fine, they're just scratches from practice with the stone.
>>
>>643343
whats wrong with the holes? I prefer them.
>>
>>644577
Just saw you on /k/ nigga
>>
>>642360
Awesome. I get tired of seeing dick heads on here who buy ridiculously large knives that they want to be an axe a saw and a knife all in one. all they need is a puukko or small knife like yours and an axe.
>>
>>645089
yeah well "whatever works for you" is how the saying goes. for me a cheap mora and a cheap fiskars hatchet works best about $30 combined. they do everything and some.

for some people $200+ jungle knives work best. i mean some of them actually use them and like them say good things about them not just drooling over them or play with them at home.
>>
File: 1447526846180.jpg (75KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1447526846180.jpg
75KB, 500x375px
>>
>>645091
Yeah i was just talking about the people who have them and never use them really
>>
What do you think of neck knives and which one do you prefer? Been looking at the izula
>>
>>645116
i never got the appeal of a knife hanging from my neck.
aside from being uncomfortable and swinging around and annoying you what's the point?
>>
File: Calton_440C_Necker_3051_noexif.jpg (4MB, 3870x2177px) Image search: [Google]
Calton_440C_Necker_3051_noexif.jpg
4MB, 3870x2177px
>>645116

Calton Cutlery makes really good neck knives in high-hardness triple quenched 1095 or 440C with kydex sheaths.
>>
>>642360
Did you heat it up first to remove the hardening to make it easier to work, then re heat treat it? Or just make it as is?
>>
>>645120
>look down
>slit your own throat
>>
>>637740
wisely spoken.
>>
>>637740
How do you monitor your body language to make thieves avoid you?
>>
>>645170
really? he sounded like an utter retard to me...
>>
>>645172
he acts like a broke junkie
no profit on that one
>>
>>645192
>if you see someone who looks like they might rob you go and rob them first
>>
>>645194
they say the best defense is a good ambush right?
>>
>>637772
Somewhat unrelated note, their old timer skinning knife is a beast.
>>
What is a good EDC knife for around 100 dollars that is made in the USA or Japan that wont break and has an edge out of the box.

looking for 50-150 dollar range
>>
File: RCIZULAIIBKITB.jpg (33KB, 798x410px) Image search: [Google]
RCIZULAIIBKITB.jpg
33KB, 798x410px
>>645413
>>
>>645120

It's a good way to carry a small knife, say over your jacket, when it's cold out, and getting to your belt knife isn't as convenient.
>>
>>645121
>triple quenched

is this a new meme? So what? Folded a thousand times no longer good enough?
>>
>>645447
that isn't a folder
but i planned to pick that up anyway when i had money
this folder im looking for is what im asking for CHRISTMAS
>>
File: next_gen.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
next_gen.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>645413

my current edc. Basically, it fills the same role as the Izula II (see>>645447), but is nicer in every way (and more expensive, at 135 bucks).
>>
>>645413
And you can get it in delicious M390 or 3V steel.
>>
>>645469

Basically triple quenching or triple normalizing the temper refines the grain size and helps ensure the temper is to spec.
>>
File: 02cd225b1bdf.jpg (55KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
02cd225b1bdf.jpg
55KB, 640x443px
im really tempted to pick up a glock knife. anyone here have experiance with them? i hear they come with a pretty ..urhm .. utilitarian edge so a reshaprening seems a must
>>
>>645671

I have both models and have experience with many knives because I'm a collector fag.

Good overal but can't cut for shit. Seriously, they are terrible cutters and you need to reprofile and heavily sharpen (not to say grind) the edge to make them cut.

Also you will be happy with them regardless of what you pay, because the crazy toughness, good length and excellent balance are there, but I do not recommend you pay more than 20€ for them.

The military gets them for around 8 to 12 € each, so you can imagine what the inflation on online retailers is.

Also , as they are tough as fuck, there is no problem buying Glock knives that are second hand. If the tip seems to be broken or not acute dont worry, they all come like that.

And to top that, they are incredibly fun for throwing.
>>
File: iceman%20(13).jpg (47KB, 801x224px) Image search: [Google]
iceman%20(13).jpg
47KB, 801x224px
I'm going to turn an old Nicholson bastard file into a knife. This video shows the guy heating it multiple times, first to remove the hardening to make it workable, then again to reset the temper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROVXVDlCdH0

Is that necessary or can I just grind and sharpen the file without heating it?
>>
>>645681

Some files are already heat treated.

Look around the net.

If it isnt it's worth doing it, lurk around the net for that also
>>
>>645671
>treat blade with oil once in awhile.
>made of spring steel. cant break that shit.
>get the edge re profiled.
>>
>>645608

qyadruple quenched when? Not really fair to hate on good heat treat, but every time you bring that up, I can't help thinking of that fake ad for a 12-blade gillette razor which said "how many fucking blades do you need anyway?"
>>
>>645712

Is quenching the new "folded 1000 times"?
>>
>>645714

No, you're just ignorant.
>>
The do I fix the scandi grind in my Mora pro to prevent chipping? Even with light wood work I get micro chips every time
>>
Hey, what would you guys recommend insofar as a multi-tool goes? My budget is under 50$
>>
>>645608
every time you quench the blade you risk fucking it up tho
>>
>>645712

Quenching multiple times allows you to heat treat steels that normally require holding at specific temperatures with more basic equipment.

It's a work around for those using forges and other none precised methods of austenitizing and at best it's playing catch up when compared to heat treating with the proper equipment.

Customers don't know that though and it sounds cool so it's used in marketing.
>>
>>645825

Evidence? Sources please, sciences please, there will be none of this allowing innuendo and implication like most online knife communities. Cards on the table please.
>>
>>645846

Evidence of what? Be more specific and I'll happily supply it.
>>
>>645859
I think he meant some scientific data. That was my point - it just sounds silly.

It won't be long till some newbie makes the logical (fallacy) jump that if tripple quenching is better than single quenching, wouldn't quadruple quenching be even better?

How about septuple-quenched blades?
>>
>>646078

>How about septuple-quenched blades?

Who knows, maybe. Unlike triple normalizing where there is no discernible difference between the 3rd and 4th cycle triple quenching is not an exact science. Instead of holding the steel at austenitizing temp until the carbides go into solution you're doing it in multiple stages and there is nothing that makes 3 any kind of magic number.

Theres nothing wrong with multiple quenches, just be wary of any bold claims that come with it, it suggests they are full of shit or don't know what they are talking about.
>>
>>646102

yeah - kind of like "folding the steel", which does increase the quality of the steel, by helping to mix the carbon and spread it out evenly.

In that respect, folding is like a converging series - you get diminishing returns, and once the carbon is evenly spread out throughout the steel, you don't get any more benefit from folding it again.

Thing is - noobs and weaboos think it ADDS to the quality, so the more you fold it, the more added quality you get...
>>
File: tumblr_myvf7h7dKh1shjq15o2_1280.jpg (360KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myvf7h7dKh1shjq15o2_1280.jpg
360KB, 1280x853px
>>637053
Are you the same OP who started the knOife threads despite the strg+f fags telling you not to or are you just following faggot tradition?
>>
>>646143
>strg+f

What the fuck is that?
>>
File: 1390802790840.jpg (21KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1390802790840.jpg
21KB, 360x240px
>>646146
Just press strg and f in your browser window to find out
>>
>>646146
It's what them Jerrys call ctrl+f
>>
>>646121
folded steel is basically laminated steel
which is inferior to homogeneous good steel in every way possible

when you got shit steel and you have to make do with shit outdated equipment then these things come into play.
>>
>>646266

folded steel and laminated steel are two different things.

Folding is more akin to kneading dough - it serves to spread the carbon content more evenly. Jap swords were indeed laminated, and many knifemakers use laminated steel, Falkniven and Helle are two off the top of my head.
>>
>>646283
not exactly you would need to fold it a lot to get anywhere near of even distribution instead of layers.
not to mention that you actually create uneven distribution every time you heat the steel up and carbon burns out of it.
good steel has no unevenness aside from the one resulting of forging but most modern knives are made by cutting and grinding and then heat treating in a bag so no issues there.

basically only very shit steel benefits fuckery like that. and the end result will still be shit.
>>
File: PC140110.jpg (767KB, 3968x1288px) Image search: [Google]
PC140110.jpg
767KB, 3968x1288px
muh F1 and A1
>>
>>646327
>that handle
why anon, why?
>>
>>646331
It's a working knife with epoxy handle. F1 is black african palisander wood.
>>
>>646327
That looks like shit bro. Damn
>>
bamp
>>
>>646327

Looking GOAT.

I look forward to the day my A1's rubber handle breaks.

I thought of something similar but with micarta or wood.

F1 is the best I've seen.
>>
>>645086

The only other board to talk about knives tvh

I'm a huge collectorfag, mainly because I'm a nofuns in my faggot eurocountry
>>
>>647177
>F1 is the best I've seen.
Thank you. It looks nice but maybe it could break. idk.

As for rubber handle of A1, it's shit. I just had to remove it. As i said, I'm using A1 as a working knife and it is good for me. Quickly sharped, it's a beast and it will last forever.
>>
this knife thread is a hundred thousand times better than the "new" one
pic related my dream knife
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.