[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 23

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2813x1825px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2813x1825px
Share your hunting stories from the past few weeks. Post your harvests.
>Be me
>Hunting for mule deer
I live in New Mexico, mind you.
>In Unit 37 near Arabella
>Driving
>I come across some cows and a water tank
>wait
>there's something else
>see decent sized 10 point
>will probably score 125-135
>fuck it
>friend stops truck
>I hop out with one in the chamber
>Buck is only 70-80 yards away
>nice
>sun is in eyes
>can't fucking see
>finds buck
>fucking smoked him
>shot straight through both lungs

I'm using a Gunwerks 7mm LRM with a Nightforce G7 scope.
I'd recommend you guys all check them out. Their rifles are impeccable.
Longest shot for me right now is 1200 yards
>>
God fuckin' damn.

I'd love to go hunting but I'll never hold a gun in this shitty fucking country because I got really fucking drunk at age 17 and was trying to take a shortcut to my house over traintracks proceeded to fall head first on to the fucking rail and when I woke up I was at the police station getting questioned on why I was attempting to kill myself.

>tfw tried to get gun licence at 29 and denied because of this "black mark"

Share your stories so I can live through them.
>>
>>636004
What country? My poor huckleberry.
>>
File: 20151114_184925 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 1536x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20151114_184925 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 1536x2560px
Went hunting for the first time the other weekend.
Got myself 7 rabbits.
>>
>>636004
Fellow Ausfag?
>>
>>636117
OP here, nice bud.
You might have seen my other thread about the rabbit.
>>
>>635996
Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one.
>>
>>636117

Are you 12?
>>
>>636117
Bilbo?
>>
>>635996
Nice looking animal. New Mexico is a draw state, right? How long did it take you to draw a tag or is it different for residents?
>>
Been going out every other day this durr season. Saw two does haven't shot a thing. I'm going to take a break and bag some squirrels.
>>
File: x.jpg (14KB, 191x263px) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
14KB, 191x263px
>>636297
damn beat me to it
>>
a buddy spotted an albino roe deer here in southern norway
that is an incredibly rare sight, so much that they register less than one per year

I'm a bit jelly desu
>>
>>636316
Residents get to put in first. I think it's about a two-three week wait for non-residents.
>>
>>636229

Why don't you make your own quotes instead of stealing them, anon?
>>
File: plsnobully.jpg (445KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
plsnobully.jpg
445KB, 1600x900px
>be inna northern nevada
>hunting bull elk
>driving around in a side by side
>see elk tracks
>at about 8 start tracking elk through moutain range
>elk nesting all over with some bitch ass deers
>making weird cross over babies
>uncle walks on the ridges
>I follow elk trail
>push elk down the range for about 3-4 hours
>decide our plan isnt working
>reach huge bowl the trail leads to
>lay down on huge rock
>uncle walks around trying to push it back towards me
>elk suddenly walks down and to the left of me
>just strolling around 20 yards away
>stand up slowly since he isn't looking up and shoot him
>after first shot he is still strolling like nothing happens
>shoot him again and he just keeps walking
>finally he got up on his hind legs and fell over
>shot him again just to be safe
>3 shots in total
>2 through vital organs in the chest (1 chest and 1 lungs)
>last shot through chest and front quarter

pretty sure he was good for dead after the first shot
.300 win mag will do that at 20 yards
>>
File: TheRedCarpet.jpg (133KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
TheRedCarpet.jpg
133KB, 720x1280px
>>637080
here is the damage from the first shot
I was on those rocks under the horizon
They are about 10 yards or so over the trail so he never saw me sitting up there
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 957x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 957x960px
>>637081
Bloody hell
>>
>>636229

Fought the vegetarian!!!

This game never gets old, there always so eager to tell you they are a vegtard.
>>
How does someone with no experience hunting go about starting?
>>
>>637944

Contact your local wildlife management and find out when they're having classes to obtain a hunter's education license. Then you'll need to buy a gun/bow of some type to start with. I'd recommend a shotgun probably a 12 gauge because they have the most flexibility between game.

Once you have those, you'll need to buy a license for what you want to hunt. Most states have a cheaper license for small game and a deer/elk tag. You can pay a little more to have more tags for larger game.

Last, be ethical. Do not just go shoot things in the woods. Learn how to track them through Youtube or reading books, where to take the best shots on each animal, and how to clean and pack out your kill. Pack out what you pack in and leave no trace. Good luck.
>>
File: _20151129_110752.jpg (717KB, 1836x2409px) Image search: [Google]
_20151129_110752.jpg
717KB, 1836x2409px
Second year hunting, IL resident. Didn't get anything last year, got this little basket rack opening morning around 7 am.

Double lunged him with a 12 ga slug and he still managed to run 120 yards to the top of a hill. Tough animal.

Looking forward to making a roast once we've made it through all the thanksgiving food
>>
So, I posted this already in the other hunting thread, but since it's being derailed by trolls and this thread being younger, I'll repost it here.

First-time hunter here, just downed my first game.
Pic related. Cooked it up for dinner with some mashed potatoes, red-wine sauce and beer.

1/3
>>
>>638143

2/3

Also, I'm looking into what shotgun to get.
I'm eyeing either the Beretta Silver Pidgeon or the Beretta Ultra Light.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
>>
>>638145

3/3

Delicious as fuck
First meal I've (mostly) processed from wild to table. Feels good mang.
>>
File: 1448235496369.jpg (693KB, 1000x796px) Image search: [Google]
1448235496369.jpg
693KB, 1000x796px
>>638143
>>638145
>>638147

Beautiful! Have some thin slices of venison from the back leg marinating in the fridge right now to make into jerky tomorrow. How hard is the process of cleaning out a duck? Care to walk me through it?

Also, how did you cook them?
>>
Probably not the right thread, but I'm gonna ask anyway.
Does anyone know any good books on whitetail management?
I was considering getting my dad one for Christmas this year, as he has been into it for a while and now he finally has the time to do it properly on his land. The problem is, I have no idea what to look for. Preferably something that would be informative, practical and entertaining for a 55 year old blue collared guy.
>>
>>638182
Thanks man!
I would't say it's too hard concidering how fast some experienced people can do it.
It was my first attempt at butchering an animal, so I'm far from experienced in the matter, but I started out by skinning the breast.
You can also pluck the breast if you want to keep the fat on the fillet.

Then I removed the fillet by cutting along the breast-bone and down towards the back.
While I was at it, I also skinned and removed the legs. (Disjointed them and cut of the feet)
And finaly I ripped the ribcage open by gripping the lowest point of it and gave it a good jank. Then I harvested the heart and liver.

The hearts, I threw them in the pan with some butter, minced charlotten onions and a bit of cherry to boil in. The rest of the meat I just added salt and pepper and threw then in the pan och high heat for just a minute not to overcook.

Given there was some trial and error, I'd say I'm very pleased how it turned out. Not as difficult as I had imagined.

Venison sounds tempting, it's the reason I'm eager to pick up a 308.
How are you gonna prepare it?
>>
>>638227
Soak the venison you're going to pan-fry (backstraps, tenderloins) in something salty overnight to pull some of the gamey flavor out of it, then just fry up like usual. I enjoy a good roast as well.

I'm actually >>638041 this anon, first year I got a deer. It's an amazing feeling eating something you've gotten yourself. I'm going to put the meat I have sliced thin and marinating overnight in a dehydrator tomorrow after I put it in the oven and get it up to 165F to make sure there's nothing dodgy left in them. I'm jelly you get to use a .308 in your state, in Illinois you can only hunt with a muzzleloader or a shotgun.
>>
Haven't seen shit in the MN/WI Area this season yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 1024x1024px
Got this 8 yesterday at about 4:30 with legal shooting time ending at 5:34. Almost didn't go yesterday but did last minute. Had only been sitting on the private land deer stand for maybe 30 mins. Ironic I got him that easy when I've been busting my ass for the past few weeks on public land. My first buck. From Arkansas
>>
>>635996
RWS with fiber optic sights. I went rabbit hunting with it. Those fuckers keep coming back no matter how many I kill. The rabbit holocaust is a failure.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>637081
congrats bro
>>
>>638284
I'm actually from a no-gunz country, but we have a strong hunting tradition so bolt-action, shotguns and military semi-autos designed before 1945 are game. (Which means no SKS, Ruger mini-14 or AR. Fuck)

How come you cannot hunt with bolt-action in Illinois? Is it just some arbitrary law or is there some reason behind it? I've always had the impression that the US was gun liberal throughout, with the exeption of commmiefornia maybe. Then again, all my knowledge on this is based of /k/ memes, so I digress.
>>
>>638601
I have been told that the reasoning is to prevent accidents because Illinois is perfectly flat and has a large number of hunters. Shotgun slugs travel far less distance than rifle bullets in case you didn't know.
>>
>>638601
>>638609
I should also mention that Iowa, Indiana, Ohio (I think) and all of Southern Minnesota are also shotgun only.
>>
>>638609
>>638601
Yep, this is why. They don't want the bullet to travel for miles and hit someone. Although you can hunt coyotes with high powered rifles because they are a nuisance.

Are you from Europe?
>>
>>638609
>>638611
That makes sense.

>>638622
Yeah I'm from Sweden
>>
File: IMG_20151129_160745573.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_160745573.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Just finished vacuum packing for #1. First year doing the butchering at home and got 37lbs of meat, which isn't bad considering we haven't added any fat to the ground yet. Shoulders were destroyed though, so just had to grind those. Just shot another doe this morning and live in NJ so unlimited antlerless tags. It's going to be a long ass season doing this for every single deer.
>>
>>638340
He ended up yielding almost 66 lbs of meat.
>>
>>638340
mirin
>>
Still chasing my first. I got close a couple of times. One was headed up the draw but I leaned on my phone. Turns out even in silent mode the voice assist will start talking to you... and decide you want to play music. Deer said, "nope."

Recently I was in the same spot and one came along but turned right where I would have needed it to turn left to come my way. I've since brushed in a new spot closer to where they more likely emerge from the draw so I should have options regardless of what direction they turn. Still, as a relative newbie that's bowhunting on the ground I'm pleased to at least have them passing close by, even if out of range, with no awareness that I'm there.
>>
File: KIMG0131.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0131.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>638182
Jerky update: just took it out of the marinade and put it in the oven at the lowest seting for 15 minutes to kill of anything dodgy although I'm not worried about that. Have it in the dehydrator now, and will take it out when I get up for work in about 12 hours. Looks delicious, I can't wait.
>>
>>638777
Good luck man, it's an incredible feeling; especially once you start feasting on the fruits of your labor.
>>
>>638905
What was in your marinade?
>>
>>638905
recipe pls, always on the lookout for more venison recipes
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 572x845px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 572x845px
>be me
>spend 4:30am to 8pm in a stand
see one deer and it's a spike
>mfw
>>
File: deer.jpg (236KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
deer.jpg
236KB, 960x720px
>>635996
Opening day, 328 yards
>>
>>638912
>>638913
Mix soy sauce, red chili flakes, diced garlic, onion powder, 1 tsp curing salt per lb meat
I added a little bit of water to cover the meat entirely. I've also made this marinade with sliced ginger in it, was top tier as well.

Very simple and easy
>>
File: elk.jpg (2MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
elk.jpg
2MB, 1840x3264px
>>635996
Last day of the season, 411 yards

The guys I was hunting with went off chasing another elk my buddy shot at the same time that ran away, and it was about -10 out, so I had to drag the fucking thing a mile down the mountain over 2 hours to stay warm. Its head and front legs kept getting caught on sage and shit.
>>
File: 1448556237670.gif (1MB, 486x273px) Image search: [Google]
1448556237670.gif
1MB, 486x273px
>>638933
>>638928
>328 yards
>411 yards

>tfw you have to hunt with a shotgun and the furthest kill shot is 100 yards
>>
>>638936
A lot further than I like to shoot, but both times the terrain wouldn't allow us to get closer. Hunting out west you have to reach out and touch stuff.
>>
>>638937
How big are the deer out where you are? Here in the midwest a 150 score isn't a wallhanger for some people
>>
File: IMG_20150728_192732_804.jpg (854KB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150728_192732_804.jpg
854KB, 1840x3264px
>>638939
That buck pictured is your typical "big buck" in the area. In the locality I'm hunting their antlers get tall, rather than wide. This guy has a couple atypical spikes on one side that are more than an inch, so he's a 6x4, but a little atypical is typical in this area as well.

I haven't had any of my deer scored yet, so I can't say. Have picture of my rifle as consolation.
>>
>>638717
What does NYS mean?
>>
File: beau_thunderstorm.jpg (266KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
beau_thunderstorm.jpg
266KB, 1536x2048px
>>635996
>went quail hunting in northern georgia over thanksgiving
>dad brother and i were out for two hours and busted up about six wild coveys
>killed 16 between the three of us
>got to work my dog over some wild birds, he did fantastic for being an aloof and ADD french spaniel.
>he's a great dog, stays within 25 yards of us and methodically works the brush. also holds a cautious point and will never jump a bird.
>got to hang out with my dad and my brother, i'm living in ohio for work so i cherish the time that i spend with them
>it was a great saturday, wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world.

pic related, beau. he gets terrified of thunderstorms and hides in my dryer. he's my best friend and battle buddy.
>>
>>638919
I know that feel bro. A few years back we had a massive crash in the deer population. I hunted 5 days. Kicked up one deer on the way to the stand opening morning. That was all I saw.
>>
>>638950
New York State. Went camping with my girlfriend in a state forest overnight and got a pretty big sized doe, then stuck in the trunk with some bags of ice to bring back to NJ for processing. Really just wanted to use my rifle, since NJ only has shotgun and muzzleloader. Was a fun trip though.
>>
>>638955
Damn, that's a cute dog. Was he difficult to train?
>>
>>638611
FYI Indiana recently changed, and now you can use certain straightwall cartridges (.357, .44 mag, .500 S&W, .458 socom, etc)
>>
>>638936
>tfw hunting elk and expect to have to take shots from 400-600 yards
>tfw end up shooting elk at 50 yards instead
>>
>>638933
You just dragged the entire thing down?
Why not quarter it and bring it back in stages?
>>
>>639027
My knife was too dull. I dragged it about halfway back alone, then the other guys showed up, we dragged it almost back, but ended up having to quarter it since we couldn't drag it up hill or over some fallen trees. My buddy has a much better knife, mine was barely enough to gut the thing.
>>
>>636004
I know your pain bro. I tried to kill myself around 20 and got caught. I'm alright now, but I know I won't be able to get a gun and have been avoiding telling anyone so have been avoiding all gun or hunting talk.
>>
>>638041
OP here.
Not too shabby.
This was my first time hunting so I guess I just got lucky.
Make some 1" to 2" thick steaks out of the backstraps. You will not regret.
>>
>>638145
OP here.
I have a Benelli Super Vinci.
Haven't gotten much into shotguns so I wouldn't be of much help.
More of a rifleman. But the Super Vinci is great.
>>
>>639051
Thanks man. I'm the jerky guy too, just tried some from the bottom of the dehydrator that was done, fucking delicious. Would recommend.
>>
>>639054
If you are planning to make steaks from the quarters I would recommend cutting the fat off
Gets rid of the gamey flavor of it
>>
>>638226
Whitetail Success By Design – Designing Your Next Hunt Of A Lifetime by Jeff Sturgis
There are some great articles as well that are only a google search away.
>>
>>638340
OP here.
Looks great man.
I was out for about 3 days and I got mine on the last day of the hunt.
>>
>>638955
Adorable desu.
>>
>>638611
Ohio can use muzzle loaders, shot guns, and straight walked cartridges. Like the 45-70, 357, or 44. I believe this is a pretty recent change, with in the last 3 years or so. Hopefully is a step towards using full powered rifles.
>>
>>638955
What part of Ohio anon?
>>
>>638955
He's a cutie.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.