[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I figured this was the best board to ask this since I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: 20151123_155242.png (480KB, 1068x959px) Image search: [Google]
20151123_155242.png
480KB, 1068x959px
I figured this was the best board to ask this since I've seen threads about first aid kits before.

I'm looking for a first aid kit that goes in the trunk of a car as a Christmas gift for my sister.
I would like to give her something above a spartan basic kit because she's a registered nurse.

I don't know what to look for. Links or models to search are very welcome. Budget is $20 - $30 burgerbucks
>>
I don't have the link now, but I will in a few hours. Mini jump bags to keep in your car.
>>
>>635391
Don't know that you could get much more than a basic kit for that budget. Maybe just get one of the cheap ones with bandaids and whatnot in it, then buy some extra pieces yourself to put in it. Some things you could add: liquid bandage, quickclot, steristrips, compression bandage.
>>
>>635447
Thanks anon
>>
>>635447
Forgot to ask: how much would a more comprehensive kit cost?
I don't mind spending a few more shekels if it's worth it.
>>
>>635391

Giving a med bag is hard to do for RNs, LPNs, etc. My family as well as myself have been in the medical field for ever. I myself been a RN for almost eleven yrs, you got my mom who has been one for over forty yrs. When ever we been gifted, it is not rare for us to throw away half the crap and put in our own lil stuff. Plus depending how her Co workers are, she can easily just take stuff from work to make her own bag. I myself probably taken at least over a grand worth of stuff over the the yrs.

The budget you got going, it's more or less gonna be a Boo boo kit. My shears for my car bag ran for over 50 alone (need those quality shears, that cheap shit stops working quickly)

instead of making a big ass bag, you should focus more on a smaller one. Besides it saving money, she can easily transfer it from car to house, or throw it into a pack (if she hikes or is into /out/ activities, a smaller bag would be more appreciated.)

If any thing, she'd probably like a small survival kit over a small medical kit.
>>
>>635551
Thanks, you've been a big help.
I was thinking of getting my gf a pair of Leatherman raptor shears when she graduates from paramedic school.
What do you think and what do you use/recommend?
>>
>>635577

That is actually the same one I use. Get the multicolor one if you do, it'll be so much easier to find, specially in darker areas.
>>
>>635583
Thanks anon, you've been a huge help.
>>
>>635620

You're welcome.
>>
I think I probably spent 50 building mine, it is the best way to go.
Get small cosmetic bag or military surplus baggie. Something that opens up fully as to not have to dig trough shit if you have a cut up hand. You can get decent quality one for a few bucks at an outlet store too.

Get basic shit like generic meds.
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Anti diarrhea
All these are 20 for about a buck or buck fifty at wallyworld.

3 bucks worth of iodine

2 buck bandaid box

2 buck roll of gauze
50c gauze pads

6 dollar sheers

Small cpr manuals are free.

If you want to go fancy get a $20 sports first aid bag with a hemostasis patch or powder.

Some allergy pills and some alcohol swabs are good too or even one of those bug bite sticks. Can be had for 2-3 bucks

One or two bandannas also a buck.

There now you have something better than most commercial cheapo faks.

I added a letterman and a small flash light to mine. A few safety pins, needles and dental floss. And you also have a repair kit for small silly stuff.
>>
I'm a law enforcement Tactical Medical, and I will tell you, for a car bag, even with all the training I have, I don't really pack much. I have stuff for serious trauma; like tourniquets, hemostatics, and pressure dressings; but there really is one thing that I use more than anything else from my car bag: GAUZE. Get a fuckton of gauze. I used two rolls and 8 4x4s on a elderly woman's head this week. For 20 to 30 bucks, get a military surplus IFAK that comes with the pouch, tourniquet, npa, gloves, tape, and gauze. Then by a box of 4x4 gauze pads and two packs of gauze rolls (or z fold). Add some spare gloves and a flashlight and your good. Most injuries that you would treat with a car bag are just going to be to hold them over until EMTs arrive.
>>
http://www.redcrossstore.org/item/321275

Basic First Aid for 27 bucks
>>
>>635769

Shit kit. Better off making your own, you can make a pocket kit that can do the same crap as that.
>>
>>635551
Agreed.

She'd be better off with a jumpstarter, blanket, cables, nice flashlight.
>>
>>635741
>hold them over until EMTs arrive.

Basically what I was thinking.
Just something to keep someone from bleeding out until help arrives.
I'm not worried about treating every little booboo.
>>
>>635741
>npa
What's that?
And I meant to ask, what happened to that old lady?
>>
>>636049
What do you think?

The sick pervert tied her up with gauze and rapefucked her.

Then got his LEO buds to cover for him.

They ALL do it!
>>
>>635741
Would you recommend a normalfag learn to use a tourniquet? I don't want to lose muh arm.

>>635706
B E N A D R Y L
E
N
A
D
R
Y
L
>>
>>636049
nasal pharyngeal airway, also >>636108 was spot on. She fell out of the wheel chair and smacked her head on the pavement, strapped her on the spine board and took her off to our police rape dungeon. We usually only use it for beating blacks (when we don't kill them), but we figured with the head injury she wouldn't remember anything.

But seriously, just put on gloves and put gauze to her split head. EMTs came, took all her vitals and shit while I sat there holding her head closed. Then put on a collar and loaded her in the ambulance.
>>
>>636214
I definitely recommend learning to use a tourniquet and having a few. Your arm will not fall off. If left on for less than two hours there are no ill effects. An EMT can leave one on and monitor it for up to 8 hours without risking permanent damage to the limb. Tourniquets can save your life should you sever an artery. Make sure you have the training before using one, as with any medical equipment. Only buy tourniquets from a reputable source, as there are counterfeit ones. I like chinook medical, but other medical sites have them as well. Do not buy them from amazon. The CAT (Combat application tourniquet) is the military standard, the SOFTT-W is a bit better in my opinion. My favorite is the Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet (RMT). Its fast, easy, can be done one handed, and can be used for both training and medical use. With the CAT and SOFTT-W you need to have a dedicated training one and a medical one as they can be weakened with training.
>>
>>636254
lol thanks
>>
File: first-aid-kit.jpg (260KB, 1024x861px) Image search: [Google]
first-aid-kit.jpg
260KB, 1024x861px
>>635391

Compiled from past first-aid threads;

Alcohol swabs
Band-Aids
Batteries
Bic lighter
Butterfly bandages
Caffeine pills
Chapstick
Cotton balls
Duct tape
Emergency blanket
Eye wash kit
Flashlight
Gauze
Glasses repair kit and/or extra contact lenses
Hard liquor
ID and info
Iodine swabs
Liquid bandages
Magnifying glass
Meds (allergy, pain, Benadryl, etc.)
Metal wire
Mirror
Moleskin
Multi-tool
Needles
Notepad
QuickClot
Rehydration salts
Rubber gloves
Rubber tubing for tournaqutte
Safety pins
SAM splints
Scissors
Sewing kit
Snake bite kit
Super Glue
Surgical skin stapler
Surgical tape
Swiss army knife
Tick pen
Tweezers
Twine
Vetwrap
Water
Water purification tablets
Whistle
>>
>>636486
Fantastic, thank you so much. Very helpful.
>>
>>636486
>Duct Tape
>Super Glue
Sure as shit hope you don't ever do first aid on me
>>
>>636657

I assume those two are listed as tools for repairs of the emergency blanket and such.

on the other hand, superglue (depending on its chemicals) and duct tape can and have been used successfully for utmost emergency treatment like for field surgery in the vietnam war.
medical or veterinary glue would be preferable though
>>
>>636657
Super glue can be used to close cuts.

My incision after surgery was stiched and glued.
>>
File: first aid kit large.jpg (2MB, 3257x3994px) Image search: [Google]
first aid kit large.jpg
2MB, 3257x3994px
>>636657

As I said, I compiled those items from a large first-aid thread last year, simply scrolling down the page and including various items people suggested but they are valid inclusions; as another anon mentioned, crazy glue can be used to close cut (my understanding is that the glue dries and flakes off with the scab) and the duct tape was suggested for coverning bandages to keep dirt and rain off them while inna woods.
>>
There's some great advice here, great advice indeed... except that this is a Christmas present... for your sister. You may as well just get her a card that says "fuck you".

I used to think I was pretty autistic, but compared to this board...
>>
File: mini_pharmacie.jpg (248KB, 1009x629px) Image search: [Google]
mini_pharmacie.jpg
248KB, 1009x629px
>>635391
Here is what I put in my minimal first aid pouch :

1 gauze
2 mask for artificial respiration
3 dressing for arch foot blister
4 bandage
5 tape
6 needles
7 dressing to heal foot blister
8 dressings
9 anti diarrhea
10 pouche
11 scissors and very strong sewing thread
12 wipes
13 alcool wipes
14 strips for small cuts
15 water purifier tabs
16 anti-allergy tabs

I am going to check because I updated it some weeks ago
>>
>>637804
so I added :
tick remover
tweezers
2x warmers
headache effervescent pills
little guide for recovery position, resuscitation.
A friend of mine recommend me to put some guide on how to use this shit in case I am injured and a stranger has to do first aid on me. Might be a good idea
>>
>>635551
I was thinking the same way, getting a first aid kid for a nurse is kind of like grandma trying to buy you a new laptop. It's a nice thought but it's outside her domain of expertise.
>>
>>635706

Replace gauze with the self adhesive wrap. Making wrapping stuff much easier, as well as it easily molding to you. Don't buy it at any medical store or online, go to an animal store. Reason why is cause the pet wrap is like 1/4th the price, the pet and human wrap are exact same material.
>>
>>637807
Emt here. Trained for mass casualty and terrorism response. >>635551 had great suggestion. Combo first aid and survival kit. One question that hasn't been asked is where the hell do you or your sister live? I'd buy regional or geographical specific equipment. A combo First aid, palliative care, survival bag is a great toolset to have. Put some thought into it and maybe some extra time. PPE item are a good buy. Typical survival gear would be good too. Perhaps a burner phone for emergencies, etc etc.

I've lived all over the states, but mostly in Texas, minnesota, and Florida. I'd consider where you live in the choices you make for useful proposes.
>>
>>637755
>his sister rejected his sexual advances

>>>/b/ is that way faggot
>>637887
I'm from New England area.
Also thinking an emergency blanket etc.
>>
>>637807
>A friend of mine recommend me to put some guide on how to use this shit in case I am injured and a stranger has to do first aid on me.

That's actually a great idea. We are always concerned with others' well being but forget about ourselves.

I thought you weren't supposed to tweezer ticks tho.
>>
RN fag here. Seeing as I have seen this a hand full of times in the ER, no one seems to really learn about it. Just remember to really think about using quickclot before you use it. Though it is a nice thing to have, you can some times do more harm than good with it.

Though it will help close up the wound, it's also gonna chemically burn the surrounding area too. I've seen ppl go over board with it and just cover the whole area, not just the spot needed.

Also if you don't have quick clot and need a quick closer, you can actually pack dirt into a wound. Though dirt is nasty, it's better taking a chance of dying from an infection later on, instead of bleeding out right then.

tourniquet can be their weight in gold, can really help out with saving your life.

Most important thing is to actually gain knowledge on first aid and the items you will carry. It is pointless and a waste of space to carry crap you don't know how to use.

My first aid kit is small, I will list it.

Small suture kit (well trained in the art of stitches.
Tourniquet.
Band aids.
Alcohol pads and small bottle of the stuff too.
Gauze pads of varies sizes.
Coban adhesive wrap (easily replaces ace and gauze rolls.)
Assortment of meds.
Leatherman shears.
Marker.
Quickclot.
flashlight.

That's all I can remember atm, got a few more things in there. I can take pics and go more into detail when I get home if any one wants.
>>
>>638125
Doesn't quick clot have to be surgically removed?
>>
>>638125
>Leatherman shears
Speaking of gifts, are these good enough to use daily as a paramedic?
>>
>>638218

I love mine, have had for some time and use them daily at work.

>>638202
Pretty much, it all depends on how bad it is.
>>
>>636486
Thanks. I'm writing this down.
>>
>>638218
Very Nice Gift idea.
>>
>>640022
Ok, thanks.
>>
>>635391
having several of these, I can say you're better off throwing together your own.
>>
File: 1425105995429.jpg (15KB, 352x329px) Image search: [Google]
1425105995429.jpg
15KB, 352x329px
>>636486

Thanks for the list. Very helpful.
>>
>>636254
Oh cool didn't know there was such a thing as a LEO medic. What is your role, do you fall somewhere between an EMT and policeman?
>>
>>644114

You do know that a lot of places require law enforcement to be certified first responder?
>>
>>644256
Yeah that is the case where I am too, but those are everyday cops who have regular police duties too
>>
>>644335

Well yeah. Patrol cops are usually first on scene too, so it only makes sense to have them trained in first aid.
>>
As a Emergency and Trauma Doctor this is top kek thread.

>>638125
Only legit source of First Aid Pack.Only actual tools and rest is knowledge.Learn to use what he wrote and you are ok.I would like you to save me if needed.

I mean someone up there put batteries and bic lighter...i don't want to discard their use..but under 1% of cases you will use that.

Most common problem is not the lack of tools but people don't know what to do in critical situations because they go to 1 BLS course and then they forget everything after 1 month.
>>
>>644762

Though I would not put battery and a Bic lighter in my first aid kit, I do keep spare batteries in my pack, as well as a Bic in my fire kit.
>>
>>635391
>>635706
5.11 makes a couple great MOLLE compatible medical bags, I have one and I love it. Built my own kit with it. Besides the basics, I added several sizes of gauze, and a suture kit from nitro-pak.com. Almost none of the widely available commercial first aid kits are worth a shit.
>>
>>644857
Thanks, I've never heard of them before.
My gf is ems, is their gear any good?
>>
>>644910
I think their gear is excellent. Much better than most of the stuff people promote on /out/ but then again, most of the people here are plastic outdoorsmen/women.

Only issue I see for you is budgetary. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it's not cheaply made. My 6X6X4 first aid pouch cost thirty bucks and it's just the pouch. I spent about 20 on basic first aid supplies and another 20 or so on my suture kit, I added some quick clot for about 15 bucks. I'm always looking to add more to it, but I've built it over time so it wasn't that big of a hit financially at any one time. Since you're looking for a gift, maybe buy the pouch and a gift card for CVS or Wal mart or something so your relative (sister, sister in law, whatever, I can't remember) can build their own first aid kit with it. The bag is top quality stuff. It's available on amazon, search 5.11 first aid pouch, or on US Cavalry. I bought mine from amazon because prime, no shipping.
>>
>>644956
it's also available on their website, of course
>>
>>644910

RN fag here. They make good gear. Lately they been kinda slacking in the quality control compartment. What do you think on getting her?
>>
>>644980
I know she needs good boots and socks.
Plan on getting her Leatherman shears too.
>>644956
Honestly, if the gear does it's job well and lasts it's worth every penny.
And that goes for anything really.

I think boots are really fuggin important as well as socks which I think slip people's minds. I love me a good pair of socks.
Actually, any recommendations on socks?
>>
>>645005
>it's
>>645005
>it's
*its
Oops, getting late.

Hmmm, I was thinking about making a sock thread. Should I or is that silly?
>>
>>645012
Wtf can't even post right.

Oh, another thought/question.
Any stories about gear performance out in the field? Either everyday day mundane stuff or maybe shit hitting the fan. I bet some of you have cool stories.
>>
>>645005

I am the RN fag who talked about the shears before in thread. As well as the quick clot, needing training, etc. Those shears are amazing. Stay away from boots. Though it sounds good in general. Our feet are picky, need to be bought at the end of the day, when our feet are their most swollenness. Just like how it is pointless to buy a med fag a first aid kit...cause we will rip them apart, throw over half of it away, add our own shit to ir.
>>
>>638125
They don't sell the granular form of Quickclot anymore. Its only available as sponges or kaolin-impregnated gauze these days. The Kaolin form supposedly does not cause an exothermic reaction like the old garbage did.

Honestly, Quickclot should be the last thing anybody buys. Bandaids, moleskin, a pair of tweezers for splinters, some gauze pads and rolls should all be bought first, as you are much more likely to use those.
>>
>>645020

They still sell powder form here in my cabelas and REI. Just cause a lot of the major companies donit, doesn't mean all will follow. Specially when you can save money, and claim to do the same as your competitors. ..oh, I'm also the same RN fag you're responding to.

Yeah, it should be one of the last things you buy, I've seen ppl who have used it on cuts that some bandage and good wrap can fix.
>>
>>645026
Shit...I should stop posting when I been drinking...every thing goes out the window with it.
>>
>>645026
That is incredibly shitty of them. That stuff is fucking dangerous to untrained idiots. There is a reason they invented a new version. Is there any truth to the stories about medics burning themselves when loose granules land on sweaty arms?

For the price of 1 pack of Combatgauze, you can buy like 30 rolls of Kerlix,100 5x9's, or like 5-6 Israeli bandages, all of which you are more liekly to use. The only things I've ever had to use in my kit are 4x4's, bandaids and cold packs.
>>
>>645034

A lot of stuff in this world is like that....guns
.cars...Just every thing is dangerous in the wrong hand. I got a fellow RN who killed seven patients before getting caught, cause she kept over dosing patients on morphine.

yeah. I will pack a wound full of gauze, and all other crap before quickcot. A lot of ppl don't have training, just use it all freely willy.

Shit, in all reality you can forgo the quickcot, just use a good CAT, a bunch of bandage, get rid of the chemical burn all together.
>>
>>635391
Don't ask /out/ you fucking autist, people here like to pretend they know first aid. Just go to a chemist and look through the first aid supplies. Otherwise order one through St Johns.
>>
>>645038
>over dosing patients on morphine.
How do you fuck that up? They are super careful with that shit and I'm pretty sure you need to nurses to witness the meds etc. At least that's what I thought I heard.
>>645017
>need to be bought at the end of the day
Wut?

The only reason I'm asking about boots is because they're mandated.
I agree, they suck.
>>
>645137

Nope, you don't need multiple ppl in the room to give drugs. Specially with how the other nurses got shit to do. Ppl have misread the CC amount plenty of times, give ppl the wrong amounts. ..like in the u.s. alone, it's a couple hundred thousand ppl who die each yr, due to fuck ups other dumb shit.

As for the shoes. When you buy shoes or any foot wear. You're suppose to buy at the end of the day. That is when your feet are their most swollen. So this allows for most comfortable fit through out the day, as well as not crushing your toes too. Which a lot of ppl forget they need to take great care of their feet.

Also forgive me for my earlier posts, had some drinks with Co workers...so at the end of the night I was typing, not really looking at what I was saying.
>>
>>645038
Yeah, I had quickclot but it has to be cleaned out totally and that kind of sucks... what if you don't have the equipment to do that... and yes it causes chemical burns don't it?
>>
>>645168
645178 again here, yeah after i cut my hand they gave me like five times the painkillers, couldn't feel my hand for about a day, and was hella relieved when the feeling came back after surgery. On another note I refused to be put under during the operation so they did it with local painkillers ;^)
>>
645178 and 645180 here again, >>645168 is right, take care of your feet. And don't do like fucking Bear Grylls and wade through rivers and bogs, that shit will get you hypothermia before you find people.
>>
>>645168
Oh, I gotcha. Buy when your feet are at max swollen. Makes sense.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.