[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you become more stealthy for hunting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

File: sniper-wallpaper.jpg (302KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
sniper-wallpaper.jpg
302KB, 1360x768px
How do you become more stealthy for hunting?
>>
>>633029
you wear blaze orange and you sit in a blind or a tree stand. if you need a nija skills and a ghillie suit you're either hunting ilegally or you're hunting people
>>
>>633029
If you're talking hunting on the move as opposed to waiting like pic related the thing I try to remember is stop, be still, look and listen more often than you would think. It's amazing some of the things you see/hear when you're static and other animals were watching in the direction of your noise and then relax a bit and start moving again. Doesn't just apply to hunting either, there's a lot of animals that will attempt to wait you out in stillness.
>>
>>633031
this deer can't really see yellow and orange
i think they see blue mostly green but not much red
>>
>>633031

For a country with so much "freedom" you guys sure do have a boring way of doing things.
>>
>>633043
That's the point of blaze orange. The animal won't see you unless you stand in the middle of the road, you dance or you are right in front of him and other humans see you so you don't die.
>>
File: geeps.png (10KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10KB, 261x195px
>>633045
it's free-dom anon, not free-citement
>>
File: 1445291772391.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1445291772391.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>633045
euro-cock say wat?
>>
>>633031
Nothing wrong with a bit of deer poaching
>>
>>633031
>what are coyotes
>>
>>633313
coyotes are dichromats like deer and cannot discern orange from yellow, greens, and reds. blaze orange will keep you hidden to yotes as well as it does from deer. also their color vision is weaker than tits anyway because 90% of their photoreceptors are rods, which only see (non-color) contrast and are only effectively employed at night.

tl;dr: they see relatively poorly at night and have insufficient color rendering, they see amazingly well at night but only in B&W, and their vision is highly sensitive to movement and shape but not color. perhaps a blaze orange ghillie suit would be best in this case.
>>
>>633043

I've sat out in the woods with safety orange, blue fleece jacket and light grey pants - the deer walked right by me. Your smell and the noise you make is what matters. Without typing a book here - Always note the wind direction. If you sit up, clear leaves and such around you to bare ground and go to shooting position a few times to make sure you can do it quietly (i.e., nothing in the way and such). Recognize when the deer is on alert. If they are, the slightest breath will send them running. If not, they can walk right by you without noticing no matter what the hell you are wearing.

I've sat in the woods with nary a strip of camo on (practically street clothes) and had big bucks smell me from 30-40 yards away and stand there for five minutes staring right in my direction, bobbing their head and looking all over unable to find me (snorting and stomping). This is Texas Whitetail so ymmv.

Pigs...they're another story. Last year, I had one stop 20 yards in front of me in the pitch black (it was lone and in transit...not foraging). It sat there for ~1 minute, finally found me and then hauled ass. I don't think I breathed nor a hair on my head moved and the damn thing still saw me.
>>
File: 1408694586611.gif (1MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
1408694586611.gif
1MB, 290x189px
>>633031
>and you sit in a blind or a tree stand
No wonder you guys are so much fatter than the western states. Do your stands come with cupholders and a fry daddy in case you want a snack?

>>633045
Sitting in a blind (usually on private land that you pay an outrageous sum to access) and waiting for the animals to walk in front of you is how almost all big game hunting is done in yurop, with the exception of deerstalking in Scotland and using hounds to hunt moose or bear.

>>633340
That's all well and good in close quarters but in open country you may have to make a move while in the field of view of what you're hunting at some point and good camouflage (ie.camouflage that breaks up your outline; this can be anything from a high-speed-low-drag ASAT ghillie suit to a plaid wool shirt) can be very helpful.
>>
Camo is all about breaking up straight lines, apply camo accord to your face in the same direction as your rested rifle. (Pointing down to left).

Take some tips from the military when it comes to this shit, i was in the army and had to sneak around fucking people instead of deer. The advantage deer has is that it can hear you easier, but they cannot see you easier. So move slow.
>>
File: img60566718.jpg (25KB, 200x240px) Image search: [Google]
img60566718.jpg
25KB, 200x240px
>>633439
These soldiers do not know how to put on camocream, pic related is more like it. But even sharper angle downwards.
>>
Imagine two circles surrounding you.

The first is your circle of perception - it represents the area you're able to perceive. The things you can easily see, hear, and recognize as you are hiking around. Usually this circle is quite small, because people generally focus too much on the area immediately in front of them. We move too quickly and are forced to constantly plan out our next few steps without taking breaks.

The second is your circle of disturbance - it represents the area in which /other/ things can perceive you. The comes from amount of noise you're generating, the amount of movement, etc. This circle is usually quite large because most of us are clumsy and loud.

For most, your circle of perception is MUCH smaller than your circle of disturbance. So by the time you are able to spot wildlife, they have already seen, heard, or smelled you, and are long gone.

To be a successful hunter, you need to swap the sizes of those two circles.

Get quieter, more compact gear. Move lightly and silently, without your backpack/rifle/whatever getting caught on branches. Lose the big heavy boots that crunch everything under you.

Move more slowly and deliberately, stopping often. Plan routes through the forest out before you have even started moving, and traverse them as slowly as you can.

Be aware of any scents that may be on you. Laundry detergent, soaps and shampoos, air freshener from your car, etc.

If you're with someone else, try to avoid speaking.

You get it. Figure out what you need to do to swap those circles around, and you will start seeing a lot more wildlife.
>>
>>633432
You think scots are the only euros that stalk, the only euros that use dogs and that bears exist in Scotland? Excuse me, but are you a fucking idiot?
>>
>>633045
It's not about freedom, it's about not getting your dumb ass shot because you're traipsing through the woods in a goddamn ghillie suit in the middle of deer season.
>>
>>633525
You don't need to bump on /out/, this board is slow and a thread has potential to stay in the catalog for several days.
>>
>>633440

>soldiers

They look like the cast of a fucking musical
>>
>>633029
Practice, also sitting in a stand or something where you can watch animals will help you out a ton. Watch how various animals move through the woods, especially what you're hunting.
>>
>>633031

You do know there is a shit ton of hunters who stalk their prey right? Not all of them are fat fudds who sit in a blind or tree.
>>
>>633474
English isn't your first language, is it?
>>
>>633578
well you can wear blaze orange while you stalk as well. dichromats don't differentiate between many colors like us trichromats do.
>>
>>633578
see lookit

https://youtu.be/1NsbssOgkik
>>
>>633638
Deffirent anon here

He is really making a point, Stalking and searching is far more fun than just sitting around and day dreaming the whole day looking for game to come right at your face.
>>
>>633029
Deer walk right up to me when I'm /out/ camping. I've never understood the camo meme, animals are really only afraid of fast or unpredictable movement.
>>
>>633662
that has nothing to do with it. these two posts >>633638 >>633637 are just saying stalking in blaze orange is fine (doesn't impair your stealthyness to deer or coyotes). all the other things pertitent to stealth (not stinking, not making noise, etc) are up for further discussion
>>
As other anons have mentioned, the main factor is scent. Chances are most deer will smell you and skit off without you ever knowing they were there. Don't bathe for a few days and leave your hunting clothes etc. outside so they smell neutral.

Purchase a small squeeze bottle like pic related and fill it with talc / chalk / corn-starch etc. then give it a squeeze to find the wind direction.

Read up as much as you can on tracking as well. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-SAS-Guide-Tracking-Carss/dp/1585740314 is a good start. It covers everything from animal tracks to night tracking and how old prints actually are.
>>
>>633440
>>633439
obvious bait is obvious
>>
>>633440
>>633439

also samefag
>>
>>633679
So, just get a scent remover and you're a-ok?
>>
>>633031
>hunting illegally or hunting people

What if i'm illegally hunting people?
>>
>>634175
well than that's different anon duh. people are trichromats so for day hunting you'd need great camouflage and cunning. i personally don't recommend hunting people during the day, as they have a significant disadvantage at night. their scotopic vision is basically just black and white (Purkinje effect) and they're essentially completely blind to what's directly in front of their vision. however humans are more sensitive to sound at night and their scotopic (night) vision, although significantly impaired, is extremely sensitive to movement - especially in the periphery. good luck friendo.
>>
>>633340
>...staring right in my direction, bobbing their head and looking all over unable to find me (snorting and stomping).

When deer "bob" their head, it's so they can have a 3D image of you
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/busted-five-things-you-don-t-know-about-deer-senses

Also, if a buck is stomping I'm pretty sure he's telling you to fuck off. He could see you but chose not to attack.
I once had a doe do this to me while walking up to my blind. I thought, fuck it, I'll see how close I can get. She started stomping, snorting, bobbling her head until I was 2 meters away from her and she ran away.
>>
File: downfallcover.jpg (13KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
downfallcover.jpg
13KB, 268x268px
>>634197
>realtree
>>
File: Mod-PVS-15.jpg (97KB, 1000x679px) Image search: [Google]
Mod-PVS-15.jpg
97KB, 1000x679px
Can anyone recommend a good pair of NVGs for night hunting?
>>
>>633029

what are you hunting?
>>
>>633432
>using hounds to hunt moose

This sounds like so much fun.
>>
>>634195
dunno dude i biked a lot at night in the forest sans lights i saw everything just fine.
>>
>>634224
>saw everything
fair enough
>just fine
lol no
>>
File: 1424532084206.png (96KB, 778x778px) Image search: [Google]
1424532084206.png
96KB, 778x778px
Scent is probably the most important.

Camo isn't that important, earth tones will be fine.

Don't wear synthetics to help with the scent .
>>
>>633029
Normally, I turn the radio down in the truck.
>>
>>634210
Deer, rabbit, squirrels, that type of stuff.
>>
>>634318
>zed's posts save lives.jps
keckle
>>
Smell like herbivore piss and nature.

I hunt in flannel shirts, stalking the entire time, and shoot a .45 repeater that can load .38 handloads as needed for smaller game.

I have not had a season of less than 4 deer in 16 years.

You don't really need anything but scents and knowledge. And a gun.
>>
>>633439
>>633440
Kill your faggot self you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>633032
This so much.
Even just when being /out/ and enjoying nature, as soon as you step foot in the woods, something is going to know you're there without even seeing, smelling, or hearing you. As you go further in, it will create a sort of domino effect, as different animals begin to heed your presence. If you take the time blend in and tread as deliberately and intuitively as they do (though they do so intrinsically, whereas you might have to try harder than that), it will be an immense help.
>>
>>635692
Salty.
>>
>>635959
This guy makes a point.
>>
>>635959
>>633032
Yeah definitely. When I stop moving and just stay there animals walk across my path actually. I bump into a lot of deer doing this as opposed to constantly moving.
>>
>>633679
>>633340
>>633463

Do animals notice the smell of campfire on your clothing?
Its very strong in my clothes when I make fires for baisically the whole trip, and a few washese even.
>>
>>635534
Wow you're such a good hunter using guns you can buy from the supermarket.

Youd have to be an idiot not to be able to hunt with a rifle.
>>
>>637189
>hurr durr noble savage dances with wolves blah blah blah
Besides, you'd be amazed how many people can't hunt, even with a rifle.
>>
>>633029

Depends where/what you're doing.

If you're somewhere where there could be other hunters around, fluoro orange camo is usually a good idea as deers and shit can't see the colour but the pattern works, and the fluoro colour allows people to see you.

If you're on private land and not at risk, conceal things that make you recognisable as a human, cover your face, hands etc. Animals are good at seeing faces and things that generally identify you, rabbits for example.

Also be weary of your own scent.
>>
>>637263
yes we call them idiots.

Please its not even a challenge using a gun.

>not being able to make your own weapon
>not having to calculate projectile drop
>not having to take wind into account
>not having to aim for vital organs

Hunting with a gun requires the same amount of skill an FPS game requires.
>>
>>637281
hunting with industrially mass-produced weapons is literally easier than shopping for meat at the best bargain available. my grandmother is literally more hardcore than hunters.
>>
Smell of campfire is a good scent. Fires are a part of a natural ecosystem. Also flow with the woods and not against it while stalking. Scanning from right to left instead of left to right like we read a book forces your eyes n brain to slow down a bit. It can be beneficial to stoop down and look under and Into the woods instead of just at them. These tips keep my freezer and smoker full
>>
>>633664

Deer know where they're at risk of getting shot. I've observed this many times.

>4x4 mulie buck on side of the road in agricultural area
>Pull over and hang out next to him for a minute or two, maybe 10m away
>he doesn't care

20 minutes down the same road, if they catch your scent on the wind or spot you in the same cut block, they're gone. Hunting pressure changes their behaviour around people considerably
>>
>>633029
Move quietly, stop often, slowly "pie" corners in the trail or as you come around a hill. Don't talk, smoke or skyline yourself. Depending on the animal you're hunting, commercial camouflage isn't that important. It's probably useful for bears, and definitely useful for waterfowl.
>>
File: Shit geocaching.jpg (9KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
Shit geocaching.jpg
9KB, 250x187px
>>633029
>Defecate in a bucket
>Apply a handful of feces on your face and hands
>Stand still for hours
VoilĂ 

I hear that some /out/ists leave some of their own feces in caches for others to use, pretty noble of them.
>>
>>633031
>hunting people
Why can't we ever have a thread about the most dangerous of all game?

Is it unsportsmanlike to hunt on established hiking trails?
>>
>>633440
No, that's not how you put on camo at all. Dark camo on shiny surfaces, like your nose and light camo on darker areas
>>
>>633031
Boring.
>>
>>637188
>Do animals notice the smell of campfire on your clothing?
yes, man is the only animal that creates fire. i can smell it from hundreds of meters away so i imagine animals can very far away. smell is not so much a factor as wind direction, you want to always have the wind in your favor.
>>
>>634318
>>Camo isn't that important, earth tones will be fine.
not for turkeys faggot
>>
>>640720
Full ghillie for turkeys, fucking raptor eyes
>>
>>633032
>hunting on the move
Stalking. It's called stalking. f f s.
>>
>>638459
I like you. Let's be hunting buddies.
>>
>>641309
i'm sure he'll happily fly you out to his island for a good ol' fashioned huttin' trip
>>
>>640720
This
>>
>>641308
Actually it's referred to as "Still Hunting"
>>
>>633679
One thing I do for wind is tie a piece of frayed jute to a nearby branch or off of my bow or something. That gives me a constant read on the wind, especially when I need to be still and can't go puffing out clouds of powder.

>>634013
Scent remover won't completely eliminate all scents. You still need to play the wind. The thing with scent-killing washes and such is that it helps reduce scent. If a deer does happen to catch wind of you, better that they think something had been through a while ago as opposed to something is there right that moment. But nothing can replace playing the wind.

>>637188
Some swear by smoking their clothes as scent cover, but I think it's a mixed thing. I could see how deer may not react to smoke in agricultural areas where they're used to catching scents from fireplaces, brush burns, and such... but overall the smell is something that indicates things that are not good to deer, so I haven't messed with it.
>>
>>635534
/k/ here there is no firearm that can shoot 45. Caliber and 38. Caliber at the same time unless you have two different barrels. But then it wouldnt be a repeater
So get out of here with that ridiculous shit
>>
>>637281
Hunting with a rifle isn't point and click retard, any competent marksman has to take into account all of those things and other shit like optimal ballistic coefficients for bullets, using rounds that aren't too light as to go through the animal or too heavy as to seriously affect bullet drop. Not to mention using the proper type of bullet for the game you're hunting.
>>
>>638459
> hiking trails
> not using golf courses like the groomed shooting rages that they are

Camo yourself like a groundsman and get on my level.
>>
Walk vewy vewy quiet
>>
>>633029
You honestly have a better chance getting something in a stand over ground hunting. Usually when I go we have half in stands and half on the ground pushing game up past the guys in the stands. But if you really want to ground hunt best way to become "stealthier" is just going outside. Go learn how to walk through the woods without it sounding like you're driving a truck through there. Learn how to identify tracks and trails of different game, where they like to be and what they like to do based on thenweather and time of day. Practice makes perfect.
>>
>>634175
Then go to /k/ and get help putting together a tacticool kebab-removal setup
>>
I know nothing about hunting but could you kill a deer and wear it's skin hiding your scent?
>>
>>641309
I'll be your Dick Cheney.
>>
>>633031
>Not hunting the most dangerous game
Where's your sporting spirit anon?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.