[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emergency Food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 9

File: 350237-2.jpg (113KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
350237-2.jpg
113KB, 500x500px
Do any of you have experience with emergency food rations whilst /out/? I'm leaving for a very long trip and plan to take some kind of emergency rations like pic related. I have a few questions:

1. What is the best brand for these? I know there are some that contain more nutritional value than others, but I can't find a good list anywhere.

2. Can these be food substitutes at all, or is it unhealthy to take these long-term? Assuming the brand has proper nutritional value of course. What's the catch with replacing food consumption with these?
>>
Why wouldn't you just bring normal food?

Who the fuck would want to eat that?

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>632630

You needn't know the details dumbfuck, but long story short, I need rations due to their affordability/durability and longetivity of the trip.
>>
You should definitely try it before going out, its the worst kind of food you can imagine.

there are basicly 2 kinds of rations emergency and survival rations

as in its name its for emergencies and/or survival situations it gives you calories and nutrition and will keep you alive but thats it.

to consume emergency rations you need water

>it taste bad, precisely it taste like cardboard

>its dry and i mean really really, you have to drink 2 liters of water to eat 1 havenly dehydrated cracker and you still fart dust dry

>emergency rations are cubes made of fat, protein and carbs you can consume them unprepared (very yukky), as a mush (very yukky) or as a soup (very yukky).

#survival rations are only carbs and will only give you power so you will still be hungry. they can be consumed with little or no water.

there i no such thing like the best they are all bad. I only used military rations never tried the fancy NRG stuff.

You can get them quite cheap from surplus stores etc.
>>
>>632649

Thanks for the input. I'm not seeking to have a gourmet on this trip, how icky it tastes is not a concern that I will have, so long as they can keep me going.

Although, I think you have had worst rations than what I have on mind. All of the reviews say they taste like some kind of shortbread, which is at worst bland.

Question #2 was more a curiosity about whether I could replace everyday food with this stuff, seeing as it would be about $2 a day at most, which is pretty cheap. I don't really mind the taste, so long as they have the proper nutritional value. But some say these aren't "food", I don't know why.
>>
>>632674
As a former wildland fire fighter in socal just make sure you keep expending the energy these things give you. If not you get high calorie shits(like beer shits) from the rations especially if the are the millitary issue MRE. And do not I repeat do not eat the whole mre(meal ready to eat) eat it though out the day as the pack an insane amount of calories, protein, and carbs.
>>
>>632674
muh stoic /lit/ brah
>>
>>632751

The concern was actually that they might not give me enough energy. Some say I will still be hungry when eating rations only, I hope this is not true. If it is true, I'd like to know the reason.

I have read elsewhere that it may cause digestive problems because of the low fiber content, but this I think can be solved by buying a large bag of oats to go with the rations. I don't know what the catch is, when considering the consumption of rations and only rations, along with maybe oats. Besides the bland taste.
>>
>>632644
Are you going to the moon you retard because food lasts for years and doesn't cost five times as much. Are you just holing up in your basement or something?
>>
>Emergency Food
It is called canned food. Your average canned tuna/pork/turkey/chicken last thrice as much as a MRE and does not taste like (total) shit. Not to mention that for the price of an MRE, you could buy two dozens cans of meat.
>>
>>632815

It's not am MRE I am buying. These emergency food rations cost about $60 for a 30 day supply of 1200 calories per day, which I'd say is pretty good. I don't think canned food can match up to that.
>>
>>632820
Well just look at the package and see if they are heathy. It sounds like you are intent on being stupid so why ask advice
>>
Why do I get a weird feeling that you're planning something like McCandless 2.0?
>>
>>632822
Because like mcandless he is a clueless retard who ignores sensible advice
>>
>>632825

Why are you so buttflustered with my thread? I already mentioned in a post that I care about affordability and durability. What advice have I ignored, besides the suggestion of canned food?
>>
>>632778
You'll still be hungry because you aren't eating correctly. Humans aren't meant to actually eat emergency meals for any reason other than the stave off death. We are complex creatures and maintaining a healthy digestive system involves eating the right foods. You can't replace real food with an industrially produced brick of calories and expect your body to accept it as the same thing.
>>
>>632834

That was part of the question really, whether or not these could be food substitutes. There are some of these that have enough nutrients, like the Mainstay food bars. So with a bar that has calories and nutrients, plus oats for the fiber, would I remain hungry? I'm talking about a month here, two at most possibly.

Problem is buying regular canned food, as was suggested, for that long of a time seems to increase the price substantially. I've eaten bland food long term before and don't mind it, so it isn't a question about taste as people keep pointing out.
>>
People on /diy/ do this same shit all the time
>sup guys does anyone know something that can X but also Y while not being affected by Z?
OP will {product} work? what are you making?
>what i'm making isn't important, but {product} won't work because reasons
OP if you tell us what you're trying to do we can help you more?
>NO. SEKRITS.
>>
>>632834
>>632842
people live on hot pockets and mountain dew, and that isn't "the right foods". the key is to transition to eating these bars or whatever BEFORE you head on your little walkabout spirit quest thing. If you don't, you run the risk of doing the ol' Chris Mccandless special (shitting yourself to death in the woods)
>>
>>632856

It cannot be that difficult to understand. I am going on a long trip (as mentioned), and I won't have kitchen available for the majority of the trip as I'll be traveling in my vehicle and backpacking at one place or another. Furthermore, I won't likely encounter big retail stores where I am traveling, so what shops I may encounter will likely have expensive shit.

As a result, I'm trying to find an affordable food plan for a month or two, to keep costs as low as possible. The main focus of the trip is to be /out/ and to have the energy for such activities.

Having two 30-day supply rations with vitamins in the back of my car seemed very appealing, I'm open to other affordable suggestions. I know oatmeal is very cheap as well, so maybe oatmeal + a protein source is also a good option?
>>
>>632859

I had to google this guy, this is not what I am doing.
>>
>>632867
What are you doing?
>>
>>632875

>>632864
>>
>>632864
but see, that's the most info you've posted ITT so far.
that's the issue
>>
>>632864
Just cook dried beans and rice. Super cheap and shelf stable. Add in some fat and you can at least get the right macros.
>>
>>632864
Oatmeal/grits/other hot or cold cereals are good for a few meals a day. It is probably one of two things I have ever read on reddit but if you have a chance, read the AMA on the guy that only ate oatmeal for a few months. It will definitely keep you from shitting yourself to death in the woods. How do you plan to cook oatmeal if you don't have a kitchen? If you have a way to at least heat things, why not go the freeze dried and boilable meals that a lot of /out/ does? It is light, has variety, and fairly good nutrition.
>>
>>632879

These are good options when cooking is possible. I was looking for more ready-to-eat foodstuff given that campfires might be prohibited in some areas. I live in the US, so I must deal with these kind of things.
>>
>>632887

Yes, as in the previous post, there is an uncertainty with being able to heat things. I have a propane outdoors stove, but propane for possibly 2 months has its costs, not to mention the space it would take up.

I initially did think about those freeze dried meals, but like beans and rice, didn't want to rely on food that always required boiling water. If there's some kind of outdoors stove that doesn't rely on propane or electricity, and that keep a fire hidden, that would be ideal and then I'd be able to go with cheap things like beans/rice/oatmeal reliably.
>>
>>632864
I think your question was answered and you just don't like what you got. Best brand? Subjective at best. Can they be used long term? No. They were intended for emergencies a few days up to a week at best. Sorry to wreck your little plan but it won't work out well and you'll end up with a suffering GI tract.
>>
>>632890
A denatured alcohol stove that can be made very easily at home can help you with that.
>>
>>632894
This is what I'm talking about here>>632896

http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcohol-stove/how-to-build.html
The website also links some DIY stuff to add around it. Should suffice what you need.
>>
>>632894

Fancy feast stove, look it up. Literally take a small can and drill two rows of alternating holes. Alcohol is the preferred fuel and it is cheap and doesn't smell bad when burned. You can get a quart for $3 at Walmart and it should be cheaper in bulk. You can probably backpack for a week or close to it with a 16oz squirt bottle in your pack and refill it from the supply in the car. This is assuming you use a non heat method of purifying water and fuel is simply for cooking twice a day or so. You can boil a meal with a few tablespoons of fuel.

You can use the thing just about anywhere and while you won't be winning abby Michelin stars, it doesn't get any more reliable.
>>
>>632899
>>632898

This is definitely suitable for what I need. What's the catch with these? It says you can boil 1.5 cups of water with less than 1 oz of denatured alcohol. How long does 1 oz of alcohol burn for, really?
>>
>>632903

Depends on which specific design you use but I think 1oz is usually 8-10 minutes. Look up some YT vids, some guys are doing 2 to 2.5 cups of water per oz of fuel. In opinion the tin can stoves with rolled edges are for aesthetics and might hold up slightly better in a pack but for <$1 and maybe $10-15 in fuel for your trip depending on use you can just make a few and have backups. You could make 5 stoves and fuel them for months with what just a professional burner costs. Dione guys even build simmer rings for heating canned goods and stuff but I just boil meals.

There is no temperature control without a simmer ring of some sort but boiling water is boiling water.
>>
>>632609
The datrex ones are shit, coconut is objectively terrible. The only reason to get them is because you can get them individually packaged per serving.

The mayday ones are GOAT, though the UST ones come pretty close. Depends on if you like Lemon or Apple Cinnamon better.
Though the only time I've ever seen the UST ones cheaper than $10 a pop is when the local wally world had a few on the shelf.

Also, your shit has the consistency of soft serve ice cream after eating these, unless you also ingest a boatload of fiber supplements.

All in all, they're not worth carrying unless you *really* don't want to cook. They're a lot heavier per calorie than dehydrated camping food. If you want to stick a brick in as an emergency meal, go ahead, but you will get sick of eating them after a day or two.
>>
>>632674
oh my god hes gonna try to eat it for the rest of his life. why isnt anyone stopping him?
>>
>>632609
Oh god those things. I ate that shit for three days when I got stuck in the woods a while back. It's the most horrible shit. The only thing I can think of that's worse is the cornbread out of a bag of rations
>>
>>632947

Did you read the thread you fucking retard?
>>
I don't know why everyone is mocking you it seems like you have a solid plan. In my experience and looking at the nutrition these are healthier than most foods. You know science and and shit. But yeah like others said can get really old after a month or three but it beats starving.
>>
>>632918
>>632961
>>632984

Well /out/ may have saved me a whole lot of suffering really, I went by the numbers here and thought if I met my caloric needs, even if it was with a brick, I'd be fine. I thought the vitamins provided in some brands, like Mayday and Mainstay, would prevent deficiencies. I had also heard elsewhere that just eating these might cause digestive issues, as they didn't have enough fiber, so I planned to supplement that with oats.

All in all, I think I now agree these aren't the best things to go by for two months. It just seemed convenient to have enough an amount of foodbars that you could just pluck one out whenever you got hungry or needed energy.
>>
>>632988
>whenever you got hungry or needed energy.

1200 calories a day when you are out being active is starvation level you turbo negroe
>>
>>632993

2 month supply of bars + oats would be over that I think, I certainly didn't intend on having 1200 calories a day after reading it was bare minimum. I'd need more for the outdoor activities.
>>
>>632998
You are going to eat 1800 calories of oats everyday? You are one dumb son of a bitch.
>>
>>633072
/fit/ here
Its possible
...Ive done it
>>
Hardtack and beef jerky.
>>
>>632609
I worked a job where we got to tear old life rafts apart, inside you will find emergency rations, knives and flares... all kinds of shit, even found "pep pills" in a few, they are fun with a beer or two, anyway you always come across the odd one that is still in date and it's only natural to give the stuff a try.... DON'T!!, it tastes like shit and the taste lasts forever, seriously this stuff is horrible, it makes MRE's taste like cordon bleu in comparison, if you have any other option then take it.
>>
>>632674
You might think you can hack it but trust me when I say that eating the same thing for weeks on end is terrible, you begin to crave other things like crazy, the smell/taste of it will make you want to vomit after a while, it really is that bad.
>>
Why not just get Soylent ? https://www.soylent.com/ At least the point of that product is everyday consumption unlike emergency rats.
>>
>>633072

Can you enlighten me grandpa? Why do you think I need 3k calories per day? I won't be hiking every single day and more often than not I'll be close to some towns. Usually I consume about 2k calories per day. I look at this trip as one where I will hopefully get more /fit/ too.

I don't understand why you're pissed (I'm assuming you're the dumbfuck who keeps swearing for no reason ITT) at someone who obviously is new to this shit. Have you considered your sexual incompetence with women might be getting to your head?
>>
>>632903
The catch is if you tip it over it will spill burning alcohol all over the place.
>>
>>633190
Also not allowed in some places.
>>
>>632831

Because the answer is that you can have real, durable food sealed up for a long ass time with slightly more expense.

Planning a trip with emergency rations is like planning a trip in rain season with only an emergency life vest.
>>
>>632890

If you're someplace you'll get busted for having a camp fire, you're near a McDonald's
>>
>>633190

If you use a pot stand and common sense you won't knock it over. I have never knocked one over and the only time I burned myself with alcohol was when I was playing with it.

>>633194
I have never had a problem with this but even if you aren't supposed to have it, it is one of the best options for LNT and who is going to walk up to you in the 8-15 minutes it will take to boil your water or prepare a meals and send you to FPMITAP over a soda can stove with half an ounce of burning alcohol in it? Many lighters carry more butane than that and people smoke while /out/. I think OP's biggest issue will be cooking on the road vs on the trail.

For this he should get a cigarette lighter tea kettle (yes they exist and are relatively cheap), and or a small burner he can use in his car. Whether that is electric or gas is up to him but I have a feeling electric is the better option here as well. While fast food may not be expensive, even canned food is cheap in comparison and much more nutritionally sound. You will save money by eating no cook packed meals and heating up stuff in the car/on the trail. Personally I like to re-hydrate dried fruits and stuff in my tea. All you need to do is boil the water in a car kettle, place in fruit and a tea bag or even instant tea if that is your thing. Suddenly you prevented scurvy and had a good snack/dessert without a hassle. Mangoes in black tea is dope, so are peaches. Fruit alone should prevent any deficiencies but you could always bring like one emergen C per week and the new flavors taste good.
>>
>>632998

You need somewhere around 3000 for an active day innawoods. If you're not a tiny manlet your base metabolic rate in a coma will be in the low 2000s.
>>
Same guy as >>633234.

Basically this: >>633230 However I will say an alcohol stove is an easy as heck alternative to a true camp fire and leaves no trace and is much simpler to get going. Pour fuel, let it prime, boil water. Let it burn out shortly after you are done (you will get used to the timing in like 3 meals) and let it cool. Place it in pack and leave. The best part is that the sparker from an empty lighter or a firesteel will light it every time. It is hard NOT to get it lit. No fire skills necessary.

>>633229 is right. While I won't call you an idiot, eating emergency rations for 6+ weeks is a horrible idea. A mixture of canned, dried, freezer dried, otherwise preserved foods, and fresh stuff will keep. Things like potatoes, onions, garlic, any type of hard shelled squash like butternut/spaghetti/ or pumpkins will all keep for at least the first few weeks of your trip. You could literally live off 'fresh' veg and canned meat in your car and on short hikes without really changing your diet much. Add some cans for the trail and more traditional long trip stuff for late in the adventure and you only had to eat 'sub pat' food for 2-3 weeks and even then it is 100x better than rations. This is all dependent upon what you normally eat as well.
>>
>>633238
>>633236

I'm 6 ft and 200 pounds. Supposing I want to get some fitness out of this, a 2000-2500 calorie diet be appropriate I would think, given the 3k expenditure I might have some days.

I may have overstated how much I will be doing. It is a hilly area, but there are also small towns strewn about (Wyoming). While some days I will be hiking, other days I'll just be visiting these local places, other days I'll be reading, walking, and other days just enjoying the scenery of the moment. This isn't some Chris Mcandless shit where I'll toss myself into some forest and just challenge the elements. I just want some time for myself here. I'm also just trying to prepare the 2-month food ahead of time, to have it ready at the back of my car.

My plan right now has completely shifted from when I posted the OP. I'll be sticking to more normal things, now that have been flooded with people telling me it's a bad idea.
>>
>>633266

I'm about that size and I cut weight at 2000. You probably don't realize how much you eat normally but to stay 200 pounds requires upper 2000s if you aren't bed ridden.

Getting some /fit/ out of it is fine but if it's for two months, just go to a grocery store when you need to. No need to have it all at once.
>>
>>633266

I mean it isn't just the fact that it is a bad idea. You can eat better, more balanced, and probably enjoy it more than simply eating food that is literally designed just to keep you from death. Another thing to take in to account is kind of plan meals and decide what you will need ahead of time to get 2000 to 2500 calories a day. Going from eating not so healthy (which I assume is the case given your desire to be more active and drop weight) to eating healthier cooked meals while /out/ and about, it is easy to miscalculate calories if you aren't keeping tabs on it. This can go up or down so be mindful of that.

Glad we could help, have fun.
>>
>>633234
It's great for LNT until you burn down a section of the area you are in. I know lots of places in CA, and I'd imagine other places out west, don't allow them because of that danger.
>>
>>632609
Those taste like utter shot and have the consistency of a starter log.

Just bring normal food.
>>
>>632609
emergency ration is good when you have no idea when you will eat it but expect to eat it in a hurry or in really bad conditions like cold wet stuck in a crack.
they can go into survival kits but you generally don't ever want to touch them unless in dire need.
just bring smoked bacon and flour and eggs and the like. they keep for a month or so in cold weather and you can make very nice food out of them. brined meat keeps very well but awfully heavy to carry around, if you have a base camp however and you go there via vehicle it's nice to have fresh meat.
>>
>>633272
not much difference in a whole day walking and pushing the bed as far as calories go. your brain alone will eat 6-700 kcals a day no matter what you do.
>>
>>633501

Whole day /out/? Big difference. Like an extra thousand difference. One mile on flat ground is about 100 calories for someone 160 pounds with no pack and /out/ you can easily walk 10x that just casually exploring. Add an incline to that and shit gets crazy. Carry a pedometer with you at some point, you'd be surprised how much you actually move
>>
>>632674
>I'm not seeking to have a gourmet on this trip, how icky it tastes is not a concern that I will have, so long as they can keep me going.

Jihadist detected.
>>
>>632609
I'm making pemmican for many of the same reasons (fat is denser calories than carbs), but if you do take rations, take every kind you can buy. At least then, you can alternate flavors.

Compare your foods by cal/gram to decide what you want to take, and do pack some other foods that are just for taste. Envelope spam and fish are surprisingly low in cal/gram, but taste a lot better than soy powder. Hot chocolate and Apple cider are decent, and only take a tiny fire to heat up enough, plus they make you feel better.

Finally, and you can tell how /out/ everyone here is, because they they all mentioned this already, but you'll burn more calories keeping warm at night in the woods than you will at home, no matter how good your bag is. If you can't keep up with the caloric requirements of maintaining body heat, you'll get hypothermia, even if it's fifty degrees out.
>>
>>633660

It will be as low as -10 Fahrenheit where I'm going, so it will get pretty cold at times.

Can you recommend any good, cheap foods with high calories per gram? I'm thinking I'll bring canned meat along for the protein, and well there are several cheap foods I can take for the carbs. I just need to meet the calorie goal now.
>>
>>632820
1200 calories a day is near starvation level unless you're a manlet or a couch potato.
>>
>>633596
dunno all i can go with how much i have to eat if i sit on my ass or walk all day.
it's pretty much the same amount.
>>
>>633719
just for further explanation your gender, age, height, and weight all influence the idle calories your body is burning each day.

A 25 year old male who is 4 ft tall and 125 lbs would be around 1200 a day. A manlet indeed (no disrespect to my short homies out there)
>>
>>633669
You're planning on eating 1200 cal/day being active and going to temps that cold?!
What about altitude?
Where the fuck are you going anyway?
>>
>>633808

No! Read the thread, I was talked out of eating 1.2k calories per day. Some anons like
>>633742
>>633719
just didn't read the thread. I originally thought I could make it at that because often have I eaten 1.2k calories per day in a normal day, and it wasn't a big deal.

I'm hoping for a 2.5k cal diet now, seeing as people are saying you spend 3k calories per day out in the woods.
>>
>>633669
Take peanut butter. Fat, protein and sugar combo that can't be beat. You'd be amazed what a few crackers and 2tbsp of peanut butter can do.
>>
>>633816
Also to add for calorie counters, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is 100 calories in some brands. That's an awesome on the go food. Maybe not in -10 weather conditions as it'll be popsicle like, you know what? Nevermind that sounds awesome.
>>
My stats are here >>633266

There I also explain I'm hoping to get some fitness out of this as well. How much caloric consumption would you say I need out in those kind of temperatures? Is 2.5k even too low?
>>
File: labelL279751.gif (4KB, 303x497px) Image search: [Google]
labelL279751.gif
4KB, 303x497px
>>633816

I'm already taking peanut butter actually. That, along with some canned meat, are a certainty. I'm looking for other foods that also have a specific high calorie count.
>>
>>632609
I have some, bought it as a cheap emergency preparedness measure. Opened a pack to check it and discovered that the individual packs inside were poorly wrapped and were therefore not vacuum sealed.

Long story short I had to use it up on hiking trips, they taste ok But there's not much nutrition in it. Basically good for an energy boost since the individual bars have 400 calories each but they would be awful to live on. Get real good, for just MREs if you want some interesting food.
>>
>>633891
Oh, and what I bought was the ration in your OP.
>>
>>632751
I've eaten a whole MRE altogether when I was starving during a very taxing hike, it just made me gassy afterward. 1200-1400 calories per ration, so you could potentially have 3 a day if you are going through a very intensive day.
>>
File: 20150712_063357.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20150712_063357.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>632674

You'd have to be a complete faggot to complain about the taste of boat rations.

Pic related, all vitamins and nutrients, 2400 calories.

5 bucks, Wal-Mart
>>
there are a number of commercial packet rations available, I'd buy them online

but emergency rations arn't as simple as "replace all your food with these"

for a start the lightweight nature of them means something is left out
that something is water
now I need to underscore this heavily, because we often underestimate the amount of water that is in our food
if you plan the amount of water you need to DRINK in a day, if you are eating rations instead of regular food you need to increase the amount of water you drink
that increases your water carry weight significantly, for that reason rations are most useful where water is available but food is not

the second thing is digestibility, now I'm not an expert but I've heard that if not eaten in the right order, in the right amounts, with something that will slow your body processing them, you can run into serious trouble
first thing that I think of is constipation, if your diet is solid fat and carbs, this could be debilitating; and water won't necessarily fix this issue

don't underestimate the effect eating the same food over and over can have on you
I'm just going to suggest you try eating what you plan to eat for a few days, without eating ANYTHING else
if you can't do it, and by cant I mean you give up; then don't plan on bringing the rations innawoods
people get physically sick from not being able to stomache the same food, and that can lead people to eating things they really shouldn't surprisingly quickly

what I would suggest
1. trail mix is your friend, it has enough sugar to keep you going without slowing your system with digestive burden
2. milk powder is OK, and has what you need
3. wheat bricks are light and have good fiber in them
4. honey has a multitude of uses, doesn't spoil, and can be added to your milk and wheat bricks
5. nothing wrong with MRE's
6. beware of food that is high in salt
7. pemmian is what the really hard men pack, but most people arn't that hard
>>
>>634048
>5. nothing wrong with MRE's

Good commercial MREs on par with the military stuff are expensive though. I bough a case recently and they are 14 syrup bucks each. The smaller meals with only 600 calories are much cheaper but they are shite.
>>
Yes it is called hunting you fucking nigger
>>
>>632609

That shit is terrible. MRE's/IMP's taste better, do the same thing, and can be picked up at any army surplus store. Or, ask a guy in the Reserves/NG to grab you some.

>>632751

This guy makes a good point. Most ration foods are meant for soldiers in the field, who are expected to be burning an insane amount of calories a day. If you're just hiking or camping, you won't need to scarf whole rats at a time.

http://www.mreinfo.com/international/canada/canadian-imp.html
>>
>>634054
depends where you buy them from
making your own is not unheard of, you just copy their recipes and buy a cheap vacuum sealer

and as someone mentioned, millitary and pseudo millitary personnel have access to them, they can fall off the back of a truck sometimes
>>
>>632644
normal food can last up to a week in a cooler, if you cant afford a trip into town because the trip is longer than that then get freeze dried food.

freeze dried food is shit and rations are worse than that.
>>
>>634048

What are these wheat bricks? Seeing as all of my portions will be in the back of my car, I think weight is a priority as well
>>
>>634061
This is all true. Still, just buying your MREs ain't too bad of a choice if you are just gonna use them to supplement other food, like while you are on the move.
>>
>>634048
>I'm just going to suggest you try eating what you plan to eat for a few days, without eating ANYTHING else

This, probably the best advice itt
>>
>>632649
Pretty much this.

I have tried these ones http://www.firesupplydepot.com/mayday-food-bar-3600-cal-case-20-fb36mc.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=mayday-food-bar-3600-cal-case-20-fb36mc&gclid=Cj0KEQiAycCyBRDss-D2yIWd_tgBEiQAL-9RkvSa4Ot7-NPYHL89nGrs_ejPaY25gZkBlTqRrzXW7bsaAjbD8P8HAQ

It's like trying to eat a 1/2" thick brick of hard baked pie crust. It is very very dense too. and sort of gritty. Difficult to chew. Difficult to swallow. Taste was very bland and flat. Not salty, not sweet.
It would be great for a true legitimate life or death emergency. yes, yes indeed. Better than nothing.
>>
>>634194

Are emergency foodbars one of the best sources of empty calories? I think I have a good idea of how I will meet the daily needs for protein, fiber, fat and whatnot, but the total calorie count per day doesn't add up to what I want it to be.

What are good sources of just calories, that are cheap? I already have peanut butter, and that will take care of the fat with a few teaspoons I think.
>>
>>634204
try these anon.

http://survivaltabs.com/

they're pretty tasty.
>>
File: lembas-bread.gif (932KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
lembas-bread.gif
932KB, 500x220px
>>634194
>>
File: lembas.gif (983KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
lembas.gif
983KB, 500x220px
>>634218
>>
>>633669
This: >>633816

If you want to go ultralight, its hard to beat peanut butter and hard tack. Fat is 9 cal/gram, sugar carbs and protein are only 4 cal/gram. So high-fat whole foods like nuts and nut butters are a hikers friend. MRE PB also has soy, for complete proteins or you can just buy soy nut butter (almost as tasty). I carry both, plus nutella which is easier to eat when you don't feel hungry, as long as you like chocolate. Pretty much every thing else I carry is powdered soups, cocoa, tea, coffee and similar comfort foods. Fishing and foraging makes as much calories as possible for me.

Learn to cook without cookware, too. Not only will it save you weight, but it's good practice for emergency situations, you know, in case you get lost in the woods and don't have a full mess kit with you...
>>
>>632609
Here's an excerpt from my journal, from the last trip I went on, I carry one of these for each day that it would take for me to get home, in addition to whatever I plan on actually eating. They pack well into a quart Ziploc bag, and weigh about two pounds each. I also subbed envelope spam for the tuna in some bags. Should be a good starting point.

>>634048
I'm in the process of making a bunch of pemmican this week. It's definitely a light, dense source of good calories, but it will get boring. It's only something you want to carry if you have the mental fortitude to eat even when you don't feel like it. Pemmican is about 6.6 cal/gram, and has a long history of being used for long periods of time, notably by native Americans on hunting trips and for over-wintering when other food isn't available and European and American explorers while dog-sledding, including as dog food.
>>
File: 1121151434a.jpg (650KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1121151434a.jpg
650KB, 2048x1350px
>>634311
Forgot pic.
>>
>>634278
>Learn to cook without cookware, too.

Other than a can what else would you use?
>>
>>635070
>cook on a flat rock.
>wrap food in leaves and bury next to fire
>Skewer your food onto a stick and cook over fire
>>
>>635142
I feel like a retard. I should have went to bed. I heard not to heat up rocks because trapped water could make them explode.
>>
>>635200
That is rocks you get from river, not all rocks.
>>
>>632751
wtf are you talking about? i usually need 2 mres to get a satisfying meal out of it.
also 4-5mcal was pretty normal intake for me when i was active.
>>
>>635070
One of my personal favorites while /out/ is cooking fish and bread on sticks. Best part? You never have to do dishes, you just throw them in the fire when you're done eating!
>>
So OP, sorry the shit in this thread is mostly garbage, with bits of good info sprinkled in. I have done a moderate amount of research on eating a balanced diet for cheap as well as shelf life and outdoors cooking.
To start, I'm 6'2 175lbs and I eat about 3000 calories on a normal day. I am not (yet) particularly fit. This is the single most important piece of advice I have to impart, plan high as far as calories go. In the winter, you need far more calories to help keep your core tempature up. For instance, in your situation I would plan to consume 4000 calories a day just to be safe.
Next, cooking
Where there are open fire restrictions, you will need a stove. I have a solo stove Titan I absolutely love. The initial price is a kick to the balls, but over your time frame you would save significantly on food. As a backup I would recommend a Trangia alcohol burner. Homemade rigs are neat and all, but this will be more dependable and efficient. If you stomach bending over and getting price fucked by a California hippy company, Bio lite stoves are efficient enough to allow you to cook indoors.
Next, cheap ass food that will last a week without refrigeration. Root vegetables (potatoes carrots). Peanut butter, raisins, oats, brown rice, tuna, flower, peanuts. Protein powder might seem expensive at first glance, but for protein to weight ratio it is worth it, and will last you weeks. Keep in mind that it is not a complete protein, so it will be bad for you to rely on only protein powder long term. Oh I almost forgot Oil. You mentioned not knowing where the rest of your calories will come from. Look no further then fat. Olive oil and coconut oil are your friends.
I have tried S.O.S. Brand ration bars and they taste like a cookie to me.
Just remember for your long term health, meeting EVERY vitamin requirement is absolutely necessary to do the majority of the time. Butter can last over a week without refrigeration, eggs can last days, as can cheeze
>>
>>635690
I meant that you will save on fuel by using a rocket stove
>>
>>635690
I also forgot beans
>>
>>635690
Beans and oats make me gassy as fuck though. I also forgot that when eating the same foods for a prolonged periods of time spices are important. Get a couple different hot sauces. Adding some spices will really make the difference when you're trying to stuff down a ton of rice or oatmeal. Onions are also your friend. Keep in mind that people can survive by eating only meat, but not eating enough of it can be problematic.
>>
Protip: if you're into dehydrating your own food, canned chicken is best for dehydration because its pressure cooked before canning, so it rehydrates better. Or you can just pressure cook your own chicken before dehydrating it
>>
File: Oqpfgqw.jpg (64KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
Oqpfgqw.jpg
64KB, 590x443px
HEY GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT CARBS ARE THE ONLY SOURCE OF ENERGY YOUR BODY CAN GET FROM FOOD? ENJOY TRYING TO SURVIVE WITHOUT A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF NUTRITION.

JUST LOAD UP ON JERKY AND SLOWLY DIE IN A HOLE WHILE I RUN MARATHONS OVER YOUR DEAD KEK BODY WHILE FORAGING AND EATING LIKE A KING.
>>
>>632864
Potatoes, OP. Potatoes and beef jerky. Potatoes possess all of the carbs, vitamins, and most importantly, nutrition that you need. The only thing they lack is protein. Which is where the beef jerky comes in.

If you don't believe me, just look at the Irish, and the people farmsteading in Alaska. They both depend on potatoes because nothing else grows reliably up that far north and in those kinds of terrain. Hell, the Irish even suffered through the Great Potato famine. Because all of their potatoes got infected and started rotting and an entire country almost starved to death without them.

You can buy a fuck load of potatoes in bulk and throw them in the back of your car, or you could buy the instant mashed potato mix where all you add is hot water.

If you are still worried about fiber, then get some of that fiber powder you can mix into a simple glass of water and drink that with each meal.
>>
>>632864
to be frank with you, it doesn't sound like you have the experience to spend a few months away from all society.

Have you ever been out for just a week? You'll learn a lot. You can try living off different rats for a day or two.

People wanting to spend a few months away from civilisation shouldn't really be asking that many questions. They should know most of the answers already.
>>
>>635712
That's wrong though. Your body can use carbs or fat. It's only protein you cannot function on.
>>
>>635718

>They both depend on potatoes because nothing else grows reliably up that far north and in those kinds of terrain.

Not true, in the case of Ireland anyway.

>Because all of their potatoes got infected and started rotting and an entire country almost starved to death without them

That and the fact the English were shipping out all the cereals/dairy etc under armed guard at the time.

Anyway, I don't want to get too /pol/ about it
>>
>>635392
yeah we used to cook fresh fish over the fire by just skewering the whole fish on a stick and cooking it directly over the flames.
(and eat it with your fingers!)
Gives it a nice smoky flavoring too.
>>
File: images (9).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (9).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>635712
>Doesn't can't into fat processing of digestive energies
Seriously, you're being stupid. And wrong. But mostly stupid.
>>
>>635712
>Basic understanding of nutrition
>Doesn't know how to turn off CAPS lock

Okay, buddy... just okay.
>>
>>635786
Western red cedar grow up by the lake I usually fish at. Cedar smoked trout, man. It tastes like God's vagina.
>>
>>632609
Stock up on rice. It can keep you going.

But it's really about psyche as well, you should consume something nice every once in a while. A teabag a day keeps the gallows away.
>>
>>635712
BUT WHAT IF YOU DON'T LIVE NEAR THE SEA AND CAN'T CATCH CRABS?
LOTS OF PEOPLE LIVE INNADESERT.
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???
>>
>>632778
hunger and energy are 2 very different beasts
>>
>years ago
>moved to china
>language skills not great yet so dont eat out, just buy random shit from markets
hey whats this all about
>its OPs pic but chinese

i got an orange and a green, not bad just drink lots of water
>>
I'm curious about your actual motives OP. Not to mention, the nature of your trip. It seems like it's more travelling than outdoorsing.

You know, when I left on my first big trip, I did the same thing you did. I wanted to go on the cheap, but most importantly, I thought I'd end up lacking food. It's a basic worry of our generation, we have so much comfort than when we leave to some place where there isn't as much, it turns into fears: fears of running out of food, water, not knowing where to sleep, being sick...
Those fears soon dissipate when you realize those things are literally thrown at you, and that this heavy backpack is filled with worthless shit, because in the end, you're better off with just clothing, soap, a towel and a toothbrush.

Wherever you go, as long as there are people around, you'll find water, food, shelter and medicine. And many will offer it in exchange of a nice evening spent with them drinking bears and playing cards. You wouldn't believe how many times I ended up in Bumfuckistan in the middle of a desert, confidently strolling around with my food and cooking setup refined after years of experimentation, two water filtration systems, and 5 star tent, pad and sleeping bag, only to end up spending the evening with locals, drinking milk straight from a goat's breast, getting plastered with quality vodka, eating a delicious meal, and sleeping on sheepskin near a campfire. I returned from countless trips with even more food than I had when I left.

Now obviously, that all depends on where you go. People aren't as welcome everywhere, still, wherever you go, there are ways to get food on the cheap. And in the wilderness, there's no one, but then you don't go into the wilderness for more than two days with such shitty food. There certainly is no need to resort to such extremes. You're better off packing some extra weight, that'll keep you going better than any emergency food.

Better abort your trip than leave with this mindset.
>>
>>632609
Mainly beef jerky, some trail mix, and water.
>>
>>633182
If you're eating next to nothing, you won't get /fit/ at all, you'll get skinny and end up looking like a skeleton.

Also, you sound like a faggot, why does this board always attract the most autistic newcomers? It's worse than /fit/ is, and its' pretty damn bad there.
>>
>>633266
If you aren't very muscular already, you're overweight, and should focus on attaining a good level of fitness before you go on any sort of super long trip, because you just won't have the endurance to handle it, nor will you enjoy it at all.
>>
>>638558
epic people that drink liquid bears, smoke that fresh fish/bear/moose, talk and drink/dance with the locals.
STORIES, DRINK, MUSIC, AND GOOD TIMES.
>>
>>632644
Make your own if and always when possible.

Make/buy dry tac, proven and longest lasting.
Have pure, unfiltered honey. Less chance of it being corn sugar spliced.
Rice, powdered eggs, dehydrated meat. 3 types of water treatment. Canned/irradiated water/food.

With almost every type of emergency food rations. Additives of spicy, flavoring, and taste are required for longer term needs. Adding moisture is a large need to properly stomach it and process it.
3 needs for survival.
Air, Water, and Food.

Rations are rations, but variety will protect you from bad batches, lack of variety in vitamins, and flavor death. SOOO, make and vacuum pack your own MRE's, bake a variety of hard tac, going from basic flour/enhanced, to wheat, to whole, etc to basic fruit cake mix additive/1-2 year shelf life. P.S. Fruit cakes ARE survival food, if they are make properly/stored.
>>
>>632908
the deal with alcohol stoves is that they are probable the second cheapest after propane. The negatives are weight/volume, and the danger of oil fires(think sloshing burning oil). Propane is cheaper, but even bulkier because of gas compression. Alcohol can be had EVERYWHERE, propane not so much.

Just get a solar heater/cooker, no restrictions on those, can cook shit and eat it too. Doubles as water boiler/decanter.
>>
>>638558
solar is lightest weight for cooking, only negatives is time to cook. Doubles as water purification, onsite sterilization, oven, distiller, fire starter, etc...
http // (world wide wow).amazon.com/gp/product/B009YFSKKY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
>>
>>633230
ignorant fuckwit, there are plenty of places.
>>
>>632609
Peanut butter
Oats
Rice
Black-eye peas or lentils
Dried spices & salt
Small bottle of oil - Olive or Veggie
Canned meat if you want - using a car not so much about weight. I'd recommend spam cubed up with beans and rice is good. also good for salt intake
Instant mashed potatoes - look for in bulk if possible
Knorr sides aren't bad either, for a variety at $1

The emergency food isn't a terrible idea, I'd get 4-5 of them, why not. Things happen and you never know. I've thought about carrying one or two while backpacking. I bet they wouldn't be all that pleasant.

For more variety you could stop into towns and just buy produce, a tomato and an onion make a big difference and spaghetti is always cheap.
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.