[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you cook deer meat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

File: 1117151623a[1].jpg (730KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1117151623a[1].jpg
730KB, 2240x1344px
How do you cook deer meat?
>>
>>632055
It's delicious when smoked
>>
File: Not worksafe.gif (281KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Not worksafe.gif
281KB, 250x250px
>>632075
Dear god
>>
Cook it like ground beef and make a cheese steak on a roll!
>>
>>632055
with heat
>>
>>632058
This or slow roasted are my favorites. Deer meat is great for chili too.
>>
>>632075
Enjoy your heart attack fatso.
>>
>>632082
>ground beef
>cheese steak

What? Sir, have you ever had one before?
>>
>>632055

Someone suggested chili for ground venison last thread.

I made it.

G O A T
O
A
T
>>
>>632055
Uh, like other meat?

No seriously, is deer meat that special so that methods used to cook other types of meat would be subpar for deer meat?
>>
>>632106
Venison is really lean though so it can tough and chewy if you don't properly prep it before grilling.
>>
>>632055
I once was flat broke and ate deer for a month.

ground deer meat is the best. You can use this to make spaghetti, burgers, hamburger helper, whatever.

next best is sausage. depending on the spices used of course

next is deer steaks. these aren't as great as they sound

I have never had the tenderloin, we had to give them to the guy who butchered our deer because I didn't have enough to pay him the full cost of butchering our deer
>>
>>632075

Spotted the guy that cooks it well done.

>>632113
>next is deer steaks. these aren't as great as they sound

Hey look, there's another one. Also why didn't you butcher it yourself?
>>
Are parasites a concern?
>>
>>632058

What, like in a bong, or do you mix it with tobacco?
>>
>>632055
Ground up with bacon and made into burgers.

>>632128
Not if you cook it.
>>
File: 1439959287528.png (680KB, 643x900px) Image search: [Google]
1439959287528.png
680KB, 643x900px
>>632130
>>
>>632055
i wound mash it up with my hands toss it in a cast iron skillet with a very generous portion of ghee then fry very lightly and perhaps add an egg cook that lightly then toss the half-raw juicy buttery mess in a tortilla of some sorts with a bit o salsa
>>
File: venison-chili-5-1024x811.jpg (281KB, 1024x811px) Image search: [Google]
venison-chili-5-1024x811.jpg
281KB, 1024x811px
>>632099
That was probably me. And, shit yeah! God tier ain't it??

>>632113
Marinade those things man!
>>
>>632113
Butcher them yourself you pleb. You are giving away the best meat.
>>
>>632055

Just like I cook goat, but with more garlic.
>>
>>632128
If you eat it raw
>>
File: 1230051802577.jpg (82KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
1230051802577.jpg
82KB, 720x479px
>>632157
Elk and Deer make some amazing chili. Keeps the meat perfectly tender in a slow cooker. The only way my GF and I have chili anymore.
>>
>>632058
I have a smoker.

I have deer meat.

Hmmmmm...

What cuts do you smoke? Tenderloin? Any specific rub, or brining?
>>
>>632096
Yeah that's not a cheeseteak, that's ground beef and cheese.... that's just a cheeseburger.
>>
Deer meat ground up, is super lean. Have it mixed with 20% pork fat, makes an 80/20 mix and is awesome for burgers.

Some deer can have some gamey flavor, some onions in the burgers take all that away and make them damn good.

Steaks? Unlike beef steak, it's lean and can be tough. They do well marinated and seasoned up well. Garlic, onion, and cayenne pepper go well, and they're good with bacon since it adds some fat.
>>
I always liked making tacos with the ground meat because it is so lean and its not all greasy and gross.Conversely if you can get some made into chipped steak and make cheesesteaks with some caramelized onions that shit is baller.
>>
>>632238

I process my own and grind a lot lean (without adding fat). I use it in chili and meat loaf always mixed with 80/20 chuck or ground brisket (little more fat than chuck).

As for the steaks - take what you would cut steaks out of (backstrap, hind quarter muscle) and cut a piece 8"+ long. Shave it in to strips about 1/16" to 1/8" thick. Lay out deer strip. Slather with cream cheese. Lay strip of bacon on top. Roll up with chunk(s) of jalapeno and pin with toothpicks. Soak in a little Italian dressing for a couple of hours then grill.
>>
>>632075
found the guy who is obsessed with killing dogs from an old thread
>>
>>632234
Not if the ground beef is crumbled. Especially if it's ground venison it'll be a much better since you won't have to chew up tough pieces that you didn't get the silver skin off of.

>>632238
The closest thing I get to steaks with venison is loin cutlets. Usually treated like a lamb chop. Sometimes breaded and fried with onions and peppers. Next deer I kill I want to take out the sirloin from the hind legs and try that as a steak/cutlet.
>>
>>632109
So just like half the beef I've ever eaten.
>>
Out of the hindquarters I get steaks, jerky, roasts, cube up some meat for stews, chili, kebobs, and whatever is left I grind up for burger or sausage. For the front shoulders I generally just bone that out and grind it all up. Innerloins and heart are eaten within the first day or two.

Venison liver and onion is prepared the same way you prepare any liver. Just be sure to soak in milk for a few hours before cooking.

I eat the backstrap steaks with morel sauce or a nice mushroom wine sauce. By far my favorite cut. If you try the morel recipe boil down the beef broth and mushroom water to 1 full cup instead of a half.

http://honest-food.net/2012/03/30/venison-with-morel-mushroom-sauce/
http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/recipes.cfm

If you have some venison cubed up for stew meat this is a fantastic recipe.
http://themeateater.com/2014/wild-game-banh-mi-recipe/

Venison Osso bucco is one of my favorites. Most people don't utilize the shanks, but they're missing out. There is nothing better than scraping out the bone marrow and spreading it on a nice toasted piece of homemade bread.
http://themeateater.com/2013/venison-osso-bucco-recipe/

If you're left with burger and are running out of ideas and want something new try this meatloaf recipe. You may say, Yuck, meatloaf, but this is incredible.
http://themeateater.com/2015/recipe-meatloaf/

If you're looking for another way to use the burger I'd recommend Salisbury steak.
http://www.food.com/recipe/country-salisbury-steak-285040

Those are just some of my favorites. Always looking for something new.
>>
File: maxi buns.gif (55KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
maxi buns.gif
55KB, 678x422px
>>632128
COPULATION
>>
File: 1426438948019.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1426438948019.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>632055
>>632231
>>
>>633350
Hmmmmm just salt, pepper, and red pepper.

Personally I'd probably spice it up moe. I imagine any rub for beef would do. When I do brisket, I basically have salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion powder, and paprika. Would work good for venison too.

When I do pork butt or pork loin, I inject a mixture of salt water, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar. I really think that might work too.

May have to experiment with some this weekend.
>>
File: dic.jpg (146KB, 704x1008px) Image search: [Google]
dic.jpg
146KB, 704x1008px
>>633343
>>
File: Millerpants.gif (30KB, 372x700px) Image search: [Google]
Millerpants.gif
30KB, 372x700px
>>633364
HEY SNAKE, WHY DO THEY CALL YOU BIG BOSS NOW?
>>
>>632106
uh venison is by far the worst tasting meat I have had. so it really needs extra attention to be palatable.
>>
>>632055
>Brown meat in a cast-iron skillet with salt and pepper
>Stir in peas, corn and buttered egg noodles and heat through
>Best served with a green salad and potatoes au gratin

I have no idea how or why (there's no cheese, no cream, no spices apart from black pepper and not even any fat beyond what's in the meat and the butter on the noodles), but venison is absolutely outstanding when prepared this way and I say that as someone with a really high bar for home cooking. I've been eating venison all my life and this is still my favorite way to prepare it by a wide margin.
>>
>>632055
Take some Flour and add in Salt, Black Pepper and Five-Spice to season it.

Cut Venison into casserole sized chunks and dip each cube into the flour mixture until you have a light dusting on each piece.

Add oil to a hot skillet and brown the Venison for no longer than one minute. You want it blue-rare

Add Beef Stock to 250ml of water and simmer until dissolved while you cook your venison.

Transfer the browned venison to a stew pot, then add more oil to the skillet and cook sliced Onion, Garlic, Carrot and Mushrooms until the onions have turned soft.

Transfer the veg and beef stock to the pot, then add one glass red wine, Black pepper and Salt to taste, one tablespoon of Oil and a tea spoon of the seasoned flour mix from earlier.

Bring this mixture to the boil and reduce heat. Add in a sprig of Rosemary and a hearty bunch of Pine Needles tied together with some twine.

Transfer to a convection oven at 70C and leave there for 3 hours to slow cook. Stir once every hour.

Serve with boiled/mashed potatoes, green beans or colcannon
>>
>>633343
>we made them on the damned griddle!
>>
Well, made soup with ground venison.

>white sweet potatoes
>regular potatoes
>whatever veg you want (I used mushrooms)
>onions and garlic
>red pepper
>red wine
>ground durr
>beef or veg broth/stock
>possibly served over rice or egg noodle

>cook onion and garlic in a shot of olive oil or butter
>add durr and cook
>salt and pepper
>add potatoes and cook
>add optional other hard-type veg
>add broth, wine
>simmer
>when potatoes are soft, add mushrooms
>add optional other soft-type veg
>cook a bit, don't get mushy mushrooms by overcooking
>fucking eat it

Wine made it more fragrant or whatever. I just added it to try it. Leave it out if you want.
>>
>>632055
By boss cures whole deer quarters. It's just like ham.
>>
File: 1400201269794s.jpg (3KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
1400201269794s.jpg
3KB, 125x83px
>>632075
>being this edgy
>>
>>632055
Venison steak schnitzel.
>>
>>632055
>cut backstrap out of deer
>slice into 2" thick steaks
>Wrap each with strip of bacon
>Liberally douse with Kansas City Cowtown rub, or similar
>Freeze in vac bag 2 days <=0F (kills parasites)
>thaw, self marinates in bag
>Grill to rare on scalding hot grill or lightly oiled cast iron
>>
>>636548
Confirmed for good shit.

Follow Hank Shaw recipe on honest-food.net
>>
>>634686
Have done that and I can't get past the fact that so much of the muscles are wrapped in that silver membrane. No amount of curing or smoking I've done breaks it down.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
This shit here pic related
Toss a roast into the crock pot set on low
Add some peeled potatoes, carrots, onions
Come back in about 8 hours
I strain the broth and make gravy.
Enjoy
>>
>>633416
I bet it was the chef
Not the meat.
My whole family kill multiple deer each year
We cannot usually tell the difference between venison and beef
So I'm guessing it was how the meat was cooked.
>>
>>636552
Use a sharp knife
Remove silver skin
Look for videos to teach you how
Most people remove the silver skin because as you found out it's like eating rubber.
>>
>>636608
i had this just last week. it's licious as shit. i use the beefy onion which is similar but beefier i guess, pretty much the same things. also i don't peel my carrots, i like them au naturale
>>
>>636550
GOAT
O
A
T
>>
>>633416
Venison is meat fit for kings.
You apparently don't know how to hunt or cook properly.
>>
>>632113

You must be joking. Tenderloin or loin medallions sliced 1" thick simply seasoned with olive oil, coarse salt, and pepper, cooked on medium-high to medium-rare (leaning to more rare about 1.5-2 min per side) is god's gift to the grill.

Stick to the loin and tenderloin, don't use leg or shoulder cuts, never ever cook over medium rare.

If you feel the need to marinade or bacon wrap a good piece of loin to make it edible then you should probably just an hero.

Amateurs...
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 333x500px
1 lb venison tenderloin
3/4 lb bacon
1 cup sweet white wine
Meat seasoning blend of your choice (garlic, paprika, onion powder, cumin, thyme, salt, pepper is our go-to)
Cherry wood for smoking in a smoker or on the grill, but any good smoking wood will work.

Trim the ends if the backstrap so that it's even. The ass end tapers and the smaller end will cook faster so cut it off. Marinate the venison in a cup of white wine. Season with your favorite herbs and spices. Wrap the venison in bacon strips and use toothpicks to keep the strips in place. Grill venison tenderloin until medium-rare, a minute on each side. Close grill and cook for additional 30-45 minutes over indirect heat. Internal temperature should read 145-160 F.
>>
>>636718
no butter dipping sauce???

for shame
>>
>>632055
I cut all the fat off then make jerky, summer sausage with pork fat, meat sticks with pork fat, the back straps are good steaks, etc...

Usually just use it for whatever I use beef for except I add pork fat
>>
I don't hunt
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 510x297px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 510x297px
>>637061
We won't hold that against you
>>
>>633473
So, like a venison version of beef bourguignon?
>>
>>637061
You don't have to hunt to cook, but you probably should.
>>
>>632055
Fire.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.