[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The North Face Made a Jacket out of Synthetic Spider Silk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: gear-patrol_moonparka.jpg (152KB, 970x650px) Image search: [Google]
gear-patrol_moonparka.jpg
152KB, 970x650px
>The North Face and a Japanese company named Spiber have joined forces to create the Moon Parka, a prototype parka made from synthetic spider silk. Its design is based on the North Face’s Antarctica parka but is made from Spiber’s proprietary material QMONOS, a fiber made from bioengineered bacteria that mimics the properties of spider silk. The material upgrades a jacket already meant for the most extreme arctic conditions with what is considered the toughest material in the world.

/out/ engineers and designers what is your opinion on this product?
>>
>>631952
EE here, I'm in if <$275 ea.
>>
>>631960

https://vimeo.com/141755563

It look neat as fuck but I would say the prices will be $1000+
>>
>>631952
>They exhibit a unique combination of high tensile strength and extensibility (ductility). This enables a silk fibre to absorb a lot of energy before breaking (toughness, the area under a stress-strain curve).

>A frequent mistake made in the mainstream media is to confuse strength and toughness when comparing silk to other materials. As shown below in detail, weight for weight, silk is stronger than steel, but not as strong as Kevlar. Silk is, however, tougher than both.

"Toughest" sounds nice if you don't know what it means. Basically, spider silk makes a really nice rubber band and still a pretty good piece of rope or cord. Sounds like it might make a nice elastic fabric too. I wonder about the abrasion resistance though (which is part of the reason jackets have thick outer fabric).
>>
Wonder if it can stop bullets. I know silk is very strong.
>>
File: spordo.png (40KB, 496x500px) Image search: [Google]
spordo.png
40KB, 496x500px
>spiber
>>
>850fill down parka
+North face markup
+ "arctic" and "expedition" buzz words
+gimmicky fabric
+limited edition collaboration
+"first bestest ever"
=$1000 /fa/ street wear faggatory
>>
>>631978
Higher than I expected, but to my point.

I can get a perfectly serviceable coat for less than $300.

I have no need for more, unless real polar bear fur coat, lined with pubic hair of virgin beavers... in you know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge?
>>
>stand too close to a fire
>jacket instantly withers away
>>
>>631952
But wont bugs get stuck in it?
>>
>>632214
> mfw I will never starve when /out/
>>
>>632137
You do realize TNF does in fact make top of the line expedition gear? That's how they started out in the industry.
>>
Looks interesting but as someone who is not planning on being in the arctic circle anytime soon, I can't see myself getting a exploration parka.

I don't know much about the fabric or the fiber. Does any know how comparable it is to nylon for weight? Does it have any applications for lightweight softshell/hardshell jackets.
>>
>>632247
> completely new techology
> completely new fabric
> asking 4chan fags to cross purpose it before anyone has seen or touched it

I think it would be great for collapsable bowls, hot air balloons and shit proof underwear.

What do you think, anon?
>>
File: gold-silk-cape.jpg (40KB, 550x380px) Image search: [Google]
gold-silk-cape.jpg
40KB, 550x380px
>not making your own from real spider silk
>the current year

http://www.wired.com/2009/09/spider-silk/
>>
>>632236
Maybe they do, but the brand is now synonymous with urban hipsters and women buying jackets for the chilly 60F days when they have to walk from their apartment to their car, and then to their office job. It's still pricey, so people don't want to be rough with the clothing, and 99% of it will never be outside for longer than an hour or so.
>>
>>632310
It's no more pricey than the fancy jackets and fleece that brands like Arc'Teryx, Patagonia, Columbia, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc. sell. All of the major outdoor gear brands have a wide product range now.
>>
>>632313
>Arc'Teryx
Too expensive for hipsters
>Patagonia
Hipsters
>Columbia
Cheap enough to be ignored by hipsters
>Marmot
Hipsters
>>
>>632315
That's what I'm saying. TNF isn't alone in catering to that market but they all still make top of the line stuff as well. And don't count Arc'Teryx out. I see plenty of their clothing being worn by kids on my campus.
>>
I wonder how violent the focus group got?

> we say it should be called Spyber!
> we say it should be called Spilk!
> your momma is called Spilk!
> you guys are faggot hipsters!
> RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
> lone marketing grad hides under table
> Spyber vs. Spilk meelay ensues
> focus group kills itself
> marketing grad crawls out from under table
> goes out
> Eerrr, they decided to call it Spyber
> divided management team begins arguing
> Spiber vs. Spilk meelay ensues...
> Janitor cleans up blood and guts
> calls receptionist
> let's call it Spiber
> janitor vs receptionist meelay ensues
> circle cont.
>>
>>632320
Seeing as Spiber is a Japanese company I'm sure it was all much more polite well ordered than that.
>>
>>632322
Polite, but with katanas and ninja stars.

> oh so sorry, your Spilk loving kind must unfortunately die, please!
>>
File: beaver.jpg (76KB, 520x413px) Image search: [Google]
beaver.jpg
76KB, 520x413px
>>632192
>>
>>632066
kek, came here to post this.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.