[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

good beginner resources?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: motherfuckineagle.jpg (41KB, 270x262px) Image search: [Google]
motherfuckineagle.jpg
41KB, 270x262px
Hi /out/!

So lately I've joined an outdoorsy club at my university and I've fallen head over heels in love with it. Hiking trails, making bonfires, chopping wood, staring up at space in the wee hours...love every part of it.

I really want to get more into this and start doing more, but I've really struggled on finding a good resource that can give me the basics (i.e. what should I be carrying, what's a great budget knife, good beginner stuff to build with wood) Even the /out/ sticky is pretty bad, whatwith most of the relevant links being either 404s or generally unhelpful.

So is there a good guide online for this kind of thing?
>>
No.
>>
>>631419
Well shit.
>>
>>631415
there are tons of youtube fags who ultimately push their own merchandise but also make nice vids about their gear.
i'm not gonna tell you names in fear of being accused of shilling.
there is a lot you can learn from them just remember whatever they are selling you can get it cheaper on ebay.
>>
You can browse a few other threads here, and ask questions individually. The board is slow, so you can post, then come back tomorrow and see responses.

So here's my answers to a few of your questions.

To start, you don't need anything. A great way to start is to go to a state park, and hike (or other type outdoor setting if you're not in the USA). Go somewhere with trails, dress appropriately, and hike. The great thing about hiking is you a ready have what's needed for it. Legs and shoes. Stay on easy trails, and at least wear shoes with some grip, not some flat bottomed shoes or flip flops.

You can invest in hiking boots or trail running shoes. I have New Balance trail running shoes, and they're nice. I also have Merrell Moab boots for hiking, I love them. They can help protect your feet, and you'll like hiking more knowing your traction is better.

As you hike, you may want a few things. Get a small backpack. You don't need anything great to start, just something small. Get a small pack, you may even have one. Carry a bottle of water or 2 (depending on your hike), a camera if you want, maybe an extra layer if you get cold, map of the trail you're exploring. You don't need much else to hike a state park, unless it's a desert environment, or rugged mountain terrain.

For a cheap knife? /out/ sure likes the Mora companion. It's about $15. It's sharp, and will do any normal task you need. To be honest, you don't really need a knife for just hiking, but I still carry one. Personally I use a Buck Bantam knife. It's a folder, very sharp, super light, and comes in nice colors/designs.

If you get into staying somewhere overnight, you'll need more supplies, which I'll cover in my next post.

Pic related, a buck bantam knife that I carry.
>>
File: hammock-basics.jpg (119KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
hammock-basics.jpg
119KB, 612x792px
To start camping, it's easy. To start BACKPACKING and camping, it's a little harder since stuff needs to be lighter, and easier to carry.

To start, you need to sleep somewhere dry. I hammock camp, and love it. It's an awesome way to camp, and after years of tent camping as a kid, I'm really really happy I switched to a hammock. Pic related. It's the basics.

You can get a Grand trunk ultralight hammock for $15-$20 on amazon. I have one. It's awesome for the price. You also need suspension to hang it. Get ENO atlas straps, they're about $20, and are super easy. There are other, lighter ways to do it, these straps are just super easy.

If you want to use a tent, go for it. Get a 2 person tent even if it's just tou. There's more room in them, and a ladyfriend can join you when she gets cold. Or man friend, it's 2015, no judging. There are lots of options for tents. Even walmart has tents small enough to backpack with, although they aren't great quality, they will get you started.

You need a sleeping bag. You probably have one laying around somewhere. It's probably heavy and outdated, but hey its free. You might want to buy a mummy bag, they're lighter and pack easier. I have a 20 degree bag from Gander Mtn, called a Men's Chilkat. It was $50, goes on sale often, and is made well. A 20 degree bag is usually good to around freezing temps, they're generally cold at their rated temp. Rated temp is usually the survival temp, not comfort temp.

If you're in a hammock you need under insulation, when you lay on a sleeping bag in a hammock, it compresses and your butt can get cold easy. If you're sleeping on the ground you need something to lay on as well. A sleeping pad works for both hammock and ground. The cheapest is a $10 blue pad at waart, they go up in price from there. You get what you pay for, a cheap one in a hammock is fine since the hammock provides the support. For sleeping in the ground I like an inflatable pad, like a klimit static V pad, about $50ish.
>>
>>631537

For shelter in a hammock, you need a tarp. Pic related, lots of ways to hang it. For a cheap tarp I recommend a Kelty Noah's tarp, the 12ft model. It's about $60. A cheaper option is a UST base tube tarp 1.0, about $28. It can zip into a tent in a pinch. You can even use a tar to make a shelter with no hammock or tent, and people often use a tarp as they're only shelter. Again, pic related for options.

Other things you need? A way to make fire. A fire steel is fun, but a Bic lighter also works. A knife like I described before is nice to have for small tasks. A hatchet or folding saw is also nice, but that's for another thread (some on here already).

Other stuff? Food. I like mountain house brand bag meals, or backpackers pantry brand. Just heat up water, add to the bag, let sit, mmmm hot food, and they're pretty good. They're easy to carry, light, and about $6 a meal. Plenty of other options for food, but that's another thread as well.

If you're car camping, just bring a portable grill and grill anything you like. Bring a cooler, or coolers, full of beef, chicken, beer, nachos....whatever if you're car camping.

If you are using bag meals, you'll need a pot to heat up water, and a stove. You can make a fire to heat, but some places fire isn't allowed and a stove is nice. For a pot? Stanley cook pot $15 at walmart. Will work perfect for you. For a stove? $10 Etekcity brand stove on amazon. Buy a fuel canister at a sporting good store or walmart. I belive they use an isobutune type fuel.... it'll say on amazon. There you have fuel, a stove, and a pot to boil with.

For water, carry some with you, and have a water filter to get water from streams and such. You need to filter all water from outdoors. Sawyer makes a filter called a Sawyer mini, will work just fine for you. Lifestraw is another option. Lifestraw makes a bottle called the go bottle. It's a water bottle with built in filter. I like it.
>>
>>631526
>>631537
>>631546
could you be any gayer sempai?
>>
>>631546
These are just a few options, and not a comprehensive list. Just some things to get started, and start researching.

As you acquire stuff, you'll need a better pack, better gear, more stuff, ect ect. You can always come back and post about specific stuff. Ask /out/ about backpacks, boots, what bag meals are the best.... anything really.

A few points....

Pic related too... Bug spray is your friend. Bugs suck. Always have some if there is any chance of bugs. There usually is.

Hiking socks are nice. They can be warm. Buy light ones if you have hot feet.

Cotton kills. Or so they say. Lots of people wear cotton clothes out. When it gets wet, it gets cold and they lose their insulation. Still, for dry weather, and a beginner, cotton clothes are fine to start I'd you aren't doing anything extreme. You can upgrade your clothes as you learn what works for you.

Not everyone uses one, but damn I love a pillow in my backpack. I have one packed all the time, my neck aches without one.

Welcome to /out/. Hope you stick around and post pics of your adventures.
>>
File: 1446357120897.gif (68KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
1446357120897.gif
68KB, 500x293px
>>631547
>Offering friendly advice
>gets called gay

Thanks anon.
>>
>>631415
screenshotted if any anons want it
>>
>>631596
Awesome anon, although I see the second post got clipped off a little.
>>
>>631415
> Good guide

Would it be inappropriate to suggest reading a book?
>>
>>631647
Yes, I need you to boil it down for me as to what I should be doing outdoors and how , in less than 59 words
>>
>>631526
>>631537
>>631546
>>631549
Ah dude, you're the man! Seriously thanks, this is super helpful and I would've screenshotted it if you hadn't beat me to it. Definitely helps with some perspective as far as needs and luxuries right now.

...it's gonna take me a while to learn all those tarp hangings.

>>631647
Haha, I'm three-fourths through Desert Solitaire right now man so by all means books are good
>>
>>631596
Thanks buddy helpful unlike some people around here. Printing out multiple copies. Perhaps use them in my biolite ecochargestove for green points
>>
>>631415
I can't think of a comprehensive guide but here are a few interesting things to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4gnTAoNzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOXU0rrqOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqZfeM6_4s

starter knife. maybe an opinel or mora. An old buck knife at a flea market might work well.
>>
>>631644
This.

Maybe another screenshot can be made? I'm on mobile.
>>
File: diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg (101KB, 612x872px) Image search: [Google]
diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg
101KB, 612x872px
>>631773
Personally, I only know a few of them off hand. You could print it out, and keep it with your tarp though. Maybe even laminate it so it's water resistant.

Here's more info. For a hammock, instead of a pad you can use an underquilt. They're nicer than pads in my opinion. This is a quick guide to make one out of a poncho liner. They're about $30, and can be easily made into a pretty good underquilt.
>>
>>631754
>59 words

Well after reading that longwinded motherfuckers posts, you must be ready to cry. Poor thing.
>>
>>631556
Ahh it's just a common faggot anon, don't even flip
>>
>>631967
the sad truth is you are probably the samefag who started this thread and made all those long winded replies
>>
>>632061
Sorry for trying to be helpful to someone who's excited about being outdoors. I mean who am I to give outdoor advice to someone on an outdoor forum after asking an outdoor related question? Man I guess I should feel bad and go back to being useless, shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>631415
If you have joined an outting club then you have all the resources you need. Just go out with people from the group. Pay attention to what they bring, maybe ask them for a basic list of what to bring (as it varies by trip, although there are plenty of boiler plate gear lists for multi-day 3-season adventures).

You can also identify gear queers and they would be happy to spend hours helping you pick out the best gear. Just know that you don't have to buy the most expensive, lightest, advanced items.

It's fun to go on those trip and, despite what this board would have you believe, most people in those clubs are pretty friendly and accepting of newcomers in my experience.

I could give you more advice if you told me whereabouts you'll be /out/ting and the types of trips you plan on taking (duration, distance, etc). Congrats on finding a new passion.
>>
File: 1444835702783.png (138KB, 4167x4167px) Image search: [Google]
1444835702783.png
138KB, 4167x4167px
>>631526
>>631537
>>631546
>>631549
>>632103

Good advice here.

Ask friends, don't worry about what's the best gear. You can camp with a walmart tent, your dad's old sleeping bag, and a case of beer. You're set.

Ask your new friends go hiking, sleep overnight at an established campground even. Just have fun fellow sc/out/.
>>
>>632061

Holy fuck your a faggot
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.