[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoor Gear for 1+ year(s) long trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Random outdoor gear photo.jpg (12KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
Random outdoor gear photo.jpg
12KB, 274x184px
So I never come to /Out but I was told here would be the best place to find the answers Im looking for.
>Backpacking Starting 01Mar16
>Starting in Toronto and making my way to Vancouver
>Vancouver to SEA
>SEA to Australia
>Australia to Europe
>Europe back to US
I plan on being gone at least from 01Mar16 to 01Jan17

I just want to know what gear you guys recommend I start my journey off with. If you have any websites or personal experiences you want share Id love to hear them
>>
What seasons will you be in each area?

Summer in Europe you can get away with one minimal warm clothes, if you hit it the other way around tho...
>>
>>630686
Ill most likely be in Europe during winter, Im still currently in the process of which countries ill be in and for about how long, This isnt rushed at all for me so I plan on a really relaxed, slow pace the whole trip
>>
>>630688
I don't recommend that either. Early year in the northern hem and mid year in the southern hem just sounds like crappy planning. I'd do it the other way around.

What's the longest trip you've been on so far? Planning to hike, bike, hitch or hop? Are you comfortable with hitching, if you've never done it before? Are you planning on going alone? M/F? What do you plan on bringing to entertain yourself?
>>
>>630704
This is all just estimate, kind just made my mind up a few days ago and am just starting to roll the ball on this, Im currently in S. Korea and ive been here about 5 months, hitching and flights is what im looking to do. Ive never hitched but im ok with it. Yes im going alone and im a male, I was in the army (probably should have mentioned that earlier) so all Im ok with being alone and am aware of the dangers. For entertainment all I really need is an mp3 and some cards. Im not really a home body so the places I plan on staying are only places to sleep really.
>>
>current year
>carrying gear
>spending money
>not being an oppressed POC
>not relying on white guilt
>not having a trip around the world with no worries
>not beheading degenerates
>not arriving back to the USA with a full set of tacticool gear and weapons
>and a free apartment, cash, food stamps and healthcare for life as a protected moderate terrorist

Why live?
>>
>>630714
What are you talking about? Im seriously confused and have no idea what you are trying to say.
>>
>>630683
> SEA
You must be from /trv/
>>
>>630683
Gimme 15 minutes and I'll tell you... one sec
Quick question though,
How much do you care about fashion?
>>
>>630728
and /biz
>>630734
I usually care if im not backpacking but since im backpacking its not all that important as long as it keeps me warm/cold and alive im good
>>
>>630710
I've hitchhiked several times before, it's nothing to worry about, for sure. You should replace a lot of your heavier issue gear with civilian ultralight gear, read up on stealth camping and try to look unimposing and civilian as much as possible. As an army guy myself, people don't like picking up hitchhikers they assume are hardened killers... for some reason.
>>
Those snowpeak lanterns seem to get a lot of bad reviews.
>>
>>630743
Yeah i assumed so, I've tried to make myself look as civilian as possible, I go rid of all army looking bags, kits, colors even (I had a lot of coyote brown and dark green shit)
>>630745
Just a random photo I found online
>>
One thing you could do is mark down where gear suppliers in the countries you're visiting are located.
Then if you need stuff during the trip you'll have an idea where to get it.

WildEarth probably has some of the best prices in Australia, that's in Queensland.
In Melbourne there are two or three streets where all the gear stores are close together.
>>
>>630761
This is actually something im most likely going to do, just buy what I need along the way and take the very basic with me at the beginning of the trip
>>
>>630683
Are you looking strictly for gear? Or clothes also? In addition, what are you comfortable with spending, everything included.
>>
File: IMG_1135 (1).jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1135 (1).jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>630683
>>Starting in Toronto and making my way to Vancouver
you are going to walk there? you can save a lot of time by taking a boat from bruce peninsula across georgian bay, you can always stop in cypress lake for some nice views as well.

are you just going to walk on the roads? im inaware that the trans canada trail actually crosses most of canada.

it is pretty easy to stealth camp though, just dont make any fires or you could get fucked hard by local police.
>>
OP I would get an ALICE pack, a Modular Sleep System and a 2L empty soda bottle, fill with water and fucking GO!

You will figure out what you need on the way and purchase-upgrade as you arrive at your next destination!

Besides, you'll never do it...
>>
>>630683
"Gear"

>1x kelty redwing 50l backpack
>1x leatherman squirt multitool
>1x nalgene 32oz
>1x Stanley thermos
>1x mini sawyer water filter
>1x composition notebook
>2x g2 pilot pens
>1x Dr Bronners all purpose soap
>1x penicilin shot
>0x condoms

Clothes:

>1x Thorogood moc toe boots for winter
>1x nike cortez
>2x triple aught spartan pants
>2x Columbia silver Ridge cargo shorts
>4x woolly clothing 190gsm tshirts
>1x Columbia titanium down Jacket
>1x marmot minimalist goretex shell
>1x patagonia brodeo beanie
>1x Columbia Royce peak flannel
>2x Columbia silver Ridge shirt
>4x ex officio boxer briefs
>1x coldpruf platinum long underwear
>1x champions power train tech hoodie
>1x Gordini Gore-tex gauntlet gloves
>3x wig wam cool-lite hiker sock
>2x darn tough midweight merino sock
>1x KAVU nylon belt

Wear your tshirts 2 days, wash that one, then use next one etc. This goes for underwear and socks. Wash all clothes in the hostel sink w/soap

Wash your pants and shorts every few months
Wash your shirts every couple weeks
Wash hoodie as stains and messes occur

This is a lot of stuff, but you said all year so idk what else you want. If you get one thing out of this - AVOID COTTON BASELAYERS and shirts. Cotton pants are fine desu, same with shorts.
If you need to carry camping equipment, buy a kelty coyote 80L and pack shit in there.
>>
>>631012
OP here anything you want to recommend Im ok to buy
>>631026
Ill look in to the stealth camping
>>631066
Ill look into the pack Also i already have my one way flight booked man ill post photos when i start
>>631097
You are awesome thanks ill look into all of these and update what ive bought or have
>>
This looks like you are going camping for a year and not walking much,
>>
>>631379
Im going to walk as often as I can and hitchhike
>>
>>631097
This is a flawed list, it may be a troll from the 0x condom suggestion as well.

This most important thing would be trying to keep your load light so you won't mind walking ,
unlike my German friend who had a hiking pack and normal sized pack.

You really only need one spare set of clothes, i had three shirts and think i wore only one once during 6 weeks of hitching. Perhaps bring an extra pair of socks and underwear.

I'd look for button up shirts so you can have it long sleeve when you need the warmth or sun protection when you need it and collar for sun protection too.
If you plan to stay in hostels or use public showers find a light pair of flip flops.

for Warmth try looking for a warm and water proof jacket instead of multiple jackets taking up room.

Instead of having shorts and pants look for convertible pants like mesa or Columbia. Then pack a pair of long underwear to keep you warm for cold nights/winter.

You 100% need a knife that you can deploy quickly if you plan on hitch hiking but when you take it on airplanes they make you put it in your bag and check it for 20$~ so its up to you to keep buying cheap ones or investing in a good one.

Can ditch the weight of the notebook and pens and just write about your adventures in the notepad of your phone.

I'd avoid the mini version of the sawyer filter as it is notorious for clogging thanks to lack of a filter. if you aren't planning on going super deep in the woods water is always easy to get at gas stations and restaurants.

A thermos and a nalgene bottle is redundant. I made due with a 40oz target bottle.

Try to remember that most people try to fill their backpacks no matter how big they are so either stay away from big hiking bags if you can avoid it or get a smaller bag.

Tips for staying non offensive smelling that i found were, always put deodorant / antiperspirant on in the morning and Wipe your ass every day because if there is sweat left there it will start to stink in a couple days
>>
>>631756
OP here
Thanks ill definitely look at everything all over again making adjustments to my trip so ill make adjustments to my gear a s i go
>>
>>630683
if you are planning to hit the rockies after june then at least a 0C sleeping bag. If before then at least a -20C sleeping bag. if you can have someone hang on to it until you hit europe and ship it to you that'd be best. Down is the obvious choice for trekking. A waterproof stuff sack is a good choice if you are going through BC. BC is milder but very very wet in spring.

Here's a a year in Edmonton. In the mountains you may as well drop about 10 degrees.
>>
>>631820
OP here, Thanks Ill definitely watch the weather a little more
>>
>>630683
I recommend a debit card with lots of money in there.
>>
>>632190
OP here, yeah I have that already and a nice Charles Schwab bank to go with it lol
>>
Nobody ever seems to mention bringing a basic sewing kit with you...
Can come in very handy with snags, tears etc assuming you can sew.
>>
>>630683
01Mar16 to 01Jan17 is 10 months

I don't see how you would even make it to Seattle in that time if you really expect to be going at a relaxed, slow pace the whole time. Is this a European "backpacking" trip?
>>
>>632391
Well these are just estimates, And Seattle? And yes more so than it is a vacation trip, only taking one bag and kinda sticking to trails besides the nights i wanna get fucked up
>>
>>630720

Shitters from other boards have been leaking into /out/ lately a lot. Just ignore them and they'll go away.
>>
>>632411
Ahh ok makes sense
>>
>>631026
That's the grotto at cyprus lake near Tobermory right? I know every trail and rock along that cliff line. It's my favorite place on earth
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.