[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Lille Voldmose.jpg (120KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Lille Voldmose.jpg
120KB, 1024x576px
Hello /out/ i've been lurking here for a little while and i'm looking for any advice you have for a young man, that's about to be a hunter soon. I'm not from a hunter family or have friends that hunt. so i'm looking for any advice you can tell, be it equipment, websites/videos, techniques etc. Whatever you got.
I should mention i'm not from the US, but Denmark (Northern Europe)
>>
>>630059
Remember to respect your firearm, your prey and yourself.
>>
>>630062
I will, i must admit i do not have too much experience when it comes to firearms, i've only fired a 22 and a two shot shotgun that's used here for birdhunting. But i suspect question revolving around firearms belong in /k/.
But thank you for your advice.
>>
>>630059
What sort of things are you trying to hunt? Not much advice applies to big game, small game and birds.

I thought the hunter education online materials used in the U.S. we're pretty good for a beginner (I was very experienced when I took hunter Ed) so see if you can access those.
>>
>>630067
I'm mostly interested hunting big game, well deer really and moose in Norway or Sweden someday perhaps.

I'll see if I can access the material, thank you.
>>
>>630068
The best hunting methods vary by terrain. For deer I usually hunt from a blind or tree stand because the rivering timber and farmland terrain where I live allows me to look out over fields the deer travel through and to easily find their trails through the woods so I can set up over those. In big woods with fewer features, stalking can make more sense.

I've never hunted moose, but supposedly calling and stalking are both common strategies.

For gear, try to get stuff that doesn't make noise when you move. In the US, lots of clothing marketed to duck hunters is quite noisy, because the ducks aren't going to hear it anyway. If you're hunting moose, you'll definitely be walking on wet ground and may need to consider rubber boots or even hip boots. You will need a knife, especially if you kill a moose and need to haul it out of the woods. Get one purpose-made for skinning, with a gut-hook. My preferred brand for knives is Buck.

I don't know what brands of rifles and scopes are sold in Denmark, but I'd recommend a minimum of 30-06 caliber bolt action rifle with a fixed 4x scope from a good brand. That setup will provide the best value for money to a beginning hunter who's not planning on very long shots. Can't say much more than that without knowing your budget.
>>
>>630070
From what i know from the little i've talked to some older hunters, the preferred method of hunting deer is by using a blind, since a lot of deer hunting here is done on farm land with small pockets of forrest. I'd like to try some stalking, since it have always intrigued me. But my first priority is getting meat, so a blind will do just fine.

The advice you gave on clothing is fantastic, i havn't thought of that, thank you.
Also i'll look into a skinning knife.

For brand of rifles and scopes, i think the most usual brands are sold. Mauser, Sako, Remington etc. For the moment, i've borrowed a Sako 85 in 30.06, i was given the same advice as you just gave. But i don't really know too much about Sako in general.

anyways thanks for the advice, it was fantastic.
>>
>>630075
Double check to make sure these aren't illegal in Denmark or anything, but in America tree stands have really taken off and are objectively a better way to hunt deer than a ground blind because they keep your scent away from the deer and hide you where deer aren't likely to look. We even make some nifty ones that you can use to climb straight up a tree and then sit there. I've killed plenty of deer from the ground, but if you can find a way to get up a tree you should try it.

If you get into moose hunting, you'll actually need more than a knife, like a hatchet, bone saw and such, but I don't know the details on that, just that I wouldn't try to disassemble a moose with just a knife.

Sako is considered a premium brand in the states, and most American hunters would be jealous if you could get one for less than the $2000 US they cost over here. Mauser isn't really present in the states. The Remington 700 is the most common rifle in the US but I don't think it's anything special and would recommend looking at a Winchester Model 70 if you can get one.
>>
>>630076
I'll double check what all our fancy laws have to say about tree stands. Sounds really interesting though and it makes sense with the whole smell and sight thing.

as to the moose hunting, i think a large bone saw is what is usually used, but i'm not sure i'm correct. But that's still a ways off, since i'm just starting out and i want to get the skills to hunt one animal successfully, before expanding out.

Sako is on the higher end here as well, especially when you take in all our tax laws. I'm might be able to buy the rifle and scope from the guy i've borrowed it from (a friend of my fathers), since he have moved on to another rifle. I shot pretty decent with it on a range, when i tried it out for the first time. So it seems the rifle and a get along, if that makes sense. But I will look into a Winchester Model 70 as well.

Again thank you, this is great advice.
>>
>>630075
>But i don't really know too much about Sako in general.
they make the best out of the box hunting rifle you can get for the price pretty much.

beretta fucking sucks but them owning sako is probably their only merit.
>>
>>630085
Well what do you know, you learn something everyday. I would have thought it was Mcmillan or something. I really don't know the technical stuff, i'm just a decent shot.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.