[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Field Dressing Kits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Outdoor Edge butcher kit.jpg (23KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
Outdoor Edge butcher kit.jpg
23KB, 355x355px
I'm looking for a good kit for outdoor butchering and field dressing. So far I have come across this one by Outdoor Edge, and didn't know if you guys had any suggestions.
>>
>>629905
What is the tool at the very bottom?
>>
>>629915
"The Steel Stick
The ultimate brisket spreader. Spreading the brisket allows easier access for removing internal organs and for quicker cooling of fresh game meat."
>>
>>629916
Thank you, sir
>>
i just use one knife. open the deer up, bleed it and take out the guts, then take it to the butcher for the real work.
>>
>>629905
I used this kit to butcher a black bear and a deer not long back. Good kit all around. Nothing amazing though.
>>
File: 20151114_034200.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151114_034200.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
Knives of Alaska has a similar set in D2 steel, but it's quite a bit more expensive though the quality of the knives does make up for some of that, though the set listed in the OP pic has pretty much everything you'd need. I'd just get a double-https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=106&r=store.asp%3Fc%3D40sided diamond file instead of the carbide pull through sharpener.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=106&r=store.asp%3Fc%3D40

I just use a bahco laplander inplace of a bone saw and my estwing if I need more oomph than the KoA cleaver can put out, but that's pretty rare.
>>
>>629905
Don't bother with a kit, buy what you need individually, you'll end up with better knives without getting things you won't necessarily use

Victornox and Dexter Russell make the some of the best knives for the price, get a paring knife for small game and caping, a skinning knife (beef skinners work well but are a little big for smaller animals, the lamb skinner is a little more versatile) and a whatever type of boning knife you like, curved, straight, flexible semi flex or stiff, if you want to cut down on the number of knives you'll buy then a fillet knife could double as a boning knife

The game shears in those kits are usually shit from what I've seen, get a good set yourself or use some good pruning shears/loppers, kitchen shears work too but with more serious cutters you can get through things like big game ribs

With butcher knives and kitchen knives dulling will be a problem because they are a little soft but that makes it easier to sharpen them, the trick is touching them up when they need it instead of resharpening them once dull, you could simply take a backup and switch out knives as needed or sharpen them in the field, a steel is the traditional choice, victornox sells a small steel that is small enough to carry with you, try to find a smooth steel if that's the route you go, diamond rods are good too, small pocket stones are viable but >>629976
Suggests is right, pull through sharpener can work but aren't great, a dmt diafold in course/fine would be one of the best options since they work quick, don't require lubricant and keep your hand far enough from the blade to be somewhat safe, they are pretty versatile for all your /out/ needs

Some people carry box cutters to initially get through the hide to keep the hair and dirt in it from dulling their knives, the havalon folders are also highly spoken of, it's basically a folding scalpel with replaceable blades, some people use them for everything while others use them as small game or capers
>>
Butchering "kits" are a meme, all you need is a good knife.
>>
File: 0141SSSVP-B.jpg (82KB, 770x513px) Image search: [Google]
0141SSSVP-B.jpg
82KB, 770x513px
I've got a set of Buck Paklite knives that I absolutely love. Skinner, gut hook, and caping knife.

Before that, I had a cheap knife with a gut hook on it.

That's all you really need. A cheap folding saw will do the trick if you need to crack the pelvis.
>>
>>629989
I know a lot of guys that use box cutters for skinning, but I don't like it. That flat edge makes the work hard, and the result not as clean. I like my curved skinner for that.

I've been wanting to get one of those Havalons though. I like the idea of the changeable razor blades.
>>
>>630333
They are a little dangerous if you don't have pliers to change the blades
>>
>>630320

How's the grip with just the bare metal feel when you get all bloody, are the choils grippy enough?
>>
Grip is good. I've never actually gotten that bloody when cleaning a deer. Sure, you get a little on your hands, and maybe some on your clothes from not paying attention, but it's not some blood bath that you may imagine. And besides, blood gets sticky after a minute while it coagulates, so I find it's a non issue.
>>
>>629905
Jesus fuck, anyone who needs 4 knives and a saw and shears to field dress or butcher anything is a grade A idiot.

My kill kit consists of 1 good knife that will get through field dressing up to moose size game with no sharpening. That is typically a #1 B&T from Gene Ingram in S30V steel. 2 gallon size ziplocks for organ meat. 2 pair rubber gloves. A pen a write-in-rain paper for tagging. Meat bags appropriate to the animal....so 5 for a moose down to a pair for pronghorn.

All that goes into a mid sized zippered pouch.

Have never needed a saw or shears or 10 different profile blades, nor tuning fork nor shitty sharpener nor rib-cage-spreader nor plastic box.

But then I rely on skills as opposed to layers of doo-dads to get by.
>>
>>630333
I have friends who use Havalon but I can't stand them. A good wear resistant steel in a regular fixed blade knife with a profile of repute is far preferable to me.
>>
>>630570
That's a bit of an ignorant statement, no? Can I use the same knife for everything? Sure, but why should I when I can have a couple of knives and do a far better job with less fatigue?

Is the kit pictured by OP shit? Maybe, but there's no reason to denounce multiple blades.

I have a nice round Buck skinner to make quick work of hides. I have a 7" Marttiini flexible filet knife for all my boning and slicing up. A nice little pairing knife rounds it out for all of my delicate work and caping. I also have a set of pruning sheers for ribs and pelvis work.

I've used that kit to clean 60 or so deer, a few hundred squirrels ducks and geese, a couple coyotes and foxes and beavers, and 1 black bear.

But I guess doing the job well with the best tools makes me a grade A idiot who relies on doo-dads.
>>
>>630958
It does
>>
>>632274

So I suppose "you" magically make bbq ribs and make T-bone steaks with your enchanted fairy blade, but the rest of us use tools.
>>
File: 20151102_200956322_iOS.jpg (153KB, 852x640px) Image search: [Google]
20151102_200956322_iOS.jpg
153KB, 852x640px
>>629905
>butchering and field dressing

For field dressing get a single good sharp knife with quality stainless. I've never needed a guthook. If all you have is a single mediocre knife, you may want to bring a second knife for if the first dulls

I do gutless, so I don't need a saw or hatchet for breaking the pelvic bone.

I use the Buck Ranger Skinner in pic related bottom knife and usually have the 110 (top) with me as a backup and utility knife for other /out/ things.

I have friends who use Havalons and they're very nice too.

I also have a friend who has the same kit as OP's pic, but only one or two of the knives ever gets used and I'd say it's substandard, needless junk for the most part.

I only keep heads for euro mounts, so no caping knife is needed and my field dressing kit consists of:
-a good, sharp, knife no longer than 3 inch blade
-pair of nitrile gloves
-game bags
-garbage/ziplock back for organs

Easy-peasy nice and clean and simple.

For basic butchering all you need is a good fillet/deboning knife and meat grinder. A standard chef's knife is useful for cubing up the grind, but not strictly necessary. I also think a vacuum sealer is much better than wrapping.

If you want to get fancy with chops and bone-in cuts, you'll need some saw equipment. I don't think game bone tastes good so I avoid those types of cuts that smear nasty bone paste onto the meat.
>>
>>632563
Why is "you" in quotation marks?
>>
>>632631
Because Internet you autist.
>>
>>632657
Why am I an autist?
>>
I carry two knives, a filet knife and a skinner, and a cheapo hacksaw. The hacksaw only really gets used if I'm packing the game out on foot farther than a mile or two, and only if it's big game like moose or elk. Makes breaking it down a lot easier.
I also have my mora, but that's not usually as sharp as my other two, since it's used for everything from carving spoons to eating with.

>>632593
>using a folding knife
>especially one that can't be disassembled non-destructively
Jesus, why? All that blood and shit gets into the crevices and starts to reek.
>>
>>629953
>he takes his meat to the butcher
Why pay someone else to do the fun part?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.