[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do any of you go to military surplus stores to get your gear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: ye.jpg (160KB, 700x471px) Image search: [Google]
ye.jpg
160KB, 700x471px
do any of you go to military surplus stores to get your gear? i have some boots and my cammo pants i wear every time i go hunting...
>>
Not so much since all the good stores in town closed down (half the time for violating gun sales laws) and there isn't as much actual military surplus left these days, at least in Toronto. Mostly overpriced Rothco military style knockoff shit and tacticool molle book bags. I did buy a M51 Engineer's Field Bag last month.
>>
>>629639
Are there any legit ones left near Toronto?
>>
>>629645
Not downtown that I know of (AAA in Kensington Market isn't too bad, but it's tiny). Haven't really bothered looking since Hercules and the Save More Sport Store closed.

There's a place in East York on Northline called "The Army Store" that I've driven past but never gone in.
>>
>>629639
damn thats pretty crazy, maybe its because i live in san diego (military town) but i know of 3 or 4 here....i remember there used to be a huge one downtown that was 2 stories of old military clothing and equipment, i would go there with my dad when i was a kid and run around for what felt like hours.

now the biggest one i know of is 1/2 new stuff sitting next to older used stuff, the new shit is 3 times as expensive and about half the quality as the old things.
>>
Good will and salvation army are really good if you know what to look for.

I score surp there all the time.
>>
I used too but the quality to junk ratio makes it not worth it anymore. I just buy shit on sale from Cabela's, trading posts, and sporting goods stores now and actually get quality stuff for cheap. Most of the good surplus is long gone now.
>>
>>629629
>getting your boots from milsurp
RIP anons feet.
>>
>>629629
My winter boots, poncho, cold weather jacket, polypros, wool blankie, and my bear bags (pants legs cut and sewn at the knee, sinch cord at ankle) are all issue. But it was all free.

Milsurp tends to be pretty durable and relatively cost efficient, but extremely heavy. I've been doing more hiking, so I've been slowly replacing shit with ultralight gear. If you're pretty rough on stuff though, milsurp will last longer. And if you're a car camper, weights probably not a concern, so it really just depends on what you're into.
>>
>>629732
I have a pair of Air Force surplus combat boits (ironic name), and also a pair of Ad-Tec Packer boots .

There is really no situation where I used the surplus ones, they just aren't as good in any respect
>>
Milsurp I wear daily:

>Czech calf-length wool socks

Slowly wearing holes in them one at a time though. It's nice having socks that don't slip down my leg. Only cost me $4/pair, plenty warm, and they don't itch.

Besides that, the rest is pretty much all cold weather gear.

>A couple pairs of cotton longjohns from several different countries that I'll wear daily during the winter months (fuck lined pants, they make you sweat indoors), and a set of wool/cotton swede ones I wear when I'm going to actually be doing stuff.

Swedish tube scarf. Somewhat itchy, but it keeps my face warm when it's windy.

Czech glove liners. Waaay better than USGI - much softer, warmer, and they don't itch at all.

US Navy pilot's cold weather gloves. Not waterproof, but they're plenty warm and have great dexterity.

Also have that Austrian copy of the M65 jacket, but it's just for looks. And because it was $30. Too heavy and not warm enough for anything serious. I've got other coats if I'm going anywhere.

I'll wear one of those German quilted parka liners beneath my outer layer coat if I need it, but it usually doesn't get that cold.
>>
>>629629
Bought a pair of arctic gunnery gloves to wear over my regular gloves for a high altitude climb. Worked out pretty good. Also bought some middle layer clothes but wasn't impressed with anything for a base or outer layer.
>>
>>629645
>>629639
canadian army surplus is kind of a joke because our actual army is still outfitted with what is normally defined as army surplus gear.

heroes outdoors isnt bad but 90% of what they sell is horrifically overpriced.

I buy airsoft guns from out west with free shipping for cheaper than what heroes sells them for.
a very fun store to look through though.
>>
Beaver army surplus near dufferin and eglinton is pretty good.
>>
>>630503
And you're speaking as someone not even in the cdn military
>stfu
>>
>>631005
what does his employer have to do with anything?
>>
>>631047
Shill pls.
>>
File: helpme.jpg (26KB, 227x242px)
helpme.jpg
26KB, 227x242px
>>631047
>>
>>631449
lol
>>631047
So riddle me this Batman: what exactly is " mil spec " ?
There is a hiking backpack that's clearly not milsurp yet somehow milspec?
>>
>>631701
mil-spec usually means that whatever the product is, it was built to military specifications. This usually means stitching quality, size, weight, whatever. It's a buzzword that makes people think it's milsurp when it's not. You could have mil-spec dildos, if they use the approved plastic or whatever. It's a trap to get gun-nuts and preppers to buy shit they don't need because they think it's higher quality.

Sometimes it means the product was submitted to a government trial but failed. In that case it's "milspec" because it was designed with the intention of being used by the military, even if it lost out to another product.
>>
>>630503
the winter parkas are amazing. We bought some for work one time. I wore that shit with the snow pants and could take a nap in -30C and still be cozy as fuck. Very heavy though.
>>
>>629951
>Slowly wearing holes in them one at a time though. It's nice having socks that don't slip down my leg. Only cost me $4/pair, plenty warm, and they don't itch.
but they are not new, are they ?

are they even washed beforehand ?
>>
My local surplus store sells used underpants, I don't think they ever sold one.
>>
>>629645
Central Surplus and Nick’s Sport’s Shop

Downtown, On yonge near Wellesley. I have gone there for a while. You will find cheaper stuff online than most surplus stores here in canada though. I have always wondered why american surplus stores are so much better, can we not import that stuff here? How much does it actually cost to ship to toronto than upstate NY? I assume alot of reserves shit gets shipped direct to the stores in the states...
>>
>>631860
Central is gone, I was at Nick's on Friday and it's almost all expensive crappy knockoff stuff. A few gas mask bags is the only actual milsurp i saw.
>>
>>631866
well, nevermind then. Sorry. Kensington is your best bet then. Still fucking overpriced. But what they do have going for them is they get interesting gear from time to time. this is a good question for Canadians though. why the fuck do we have no good surplus stores anymore? Heros is Oshawa is way fucking overpriced
>>
>>631721
I suspected as much thank you for clarifying.
I would also think that milspec could be shit if it's from a country with lower standards.
>>
>>631869
The Kensington place is affiliated with a big US surplus company and has a lot more stuff on their website than in the store: www.armynavydeals.ca/

> why the fuck do we have no good surplus stores anymore?
King Sol got busted years ago for selling starter pistols and telling people how to convert them to fire .32 bullets which they also sold, apparently. The building Central was in on the west side was being demolished or renovated or something recently so now Nick just has the smaller place across the street. Don't know why Hercules closed, that place was the best.

Also real military issue CADPAT is illegal for civilians to own, I think because of the anti-IR fabric treatment, so you won't be finding surplus Canadian fatigues anywhere.
>>
>>632104
I remember being in the store when he was arrested. He had sold fake badges to someone (they looked identical to Toronto Police badges) and was under investigation for that as well.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.