[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One Jacket to Rule Them All

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: CBE4_TY1_hero.jpg (49KB, 638x745px) Image search: [Google]
CBE4_TY1_hero.jpg
49KB, 638x745px
Looking for a versatile jacket for winter. I'd like something that I can wear at 40 degrees and be comfy, but able to layer and scale my comfort down to the single digits or lower.

I want something that is durable outdoors without making me look like an old Vietnam vet in some milsurp gear.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>629108
What's your budget range?
>>
>>629143
The cheaper the better, as I appreciate value. Less than $200 is good, an option under $100 would be a must buy for me.
>>
>>629143
Be careful how you answer this.
>>
>>629148
In that case, Carhartt would probably be a good choice. They make pretty warm jackets but you can easily layer them with a hoodie.
>>
>>629154
I have this one and I've been quite happy with it:

http://www.carhartt.com/products/Duck-Active-Jac-Quilted-Flannel-Lined-J140
>>
So you want the best jacket.. but as cheap as possible. Right.

Heres the criteria I'd consider:

>Do you want it to be waterproof?
Assuming yes as it is for winter

>Do you want it to be windproof?
As above

>Do you care how heavy it is?
If yes, look at hiking / sports outer wear
If no, look at mil surplus

>How much ventilation do you need?
Sports/outdoor technical clothing will have pit zips etc

>Do you want it to be insulated or just a shell

>Do you care what you look like
If yes, faggot, and you're unnecessarily restricting yourself beyond your already hard criteria.

IMO I like layers with only the outer most being waterproof, so I'd suggest something like a surplus goretex shell plus a technical insulated windproof layer like the Buffalo mountain shirt.

Wool base plus buffalo will get you to low temp whilst you're active whilst allowing proper venting of moisture and heat. When you're not active it can become the intermediate layer.

If it starts pissing it down and you're still active you can wear just the hard shell and store the soft. If its psising it down and you're not active you wear both.

Layers are the most flexible system, but for me that means the outer shell is uninsulated for maximum flexibility.
>>
>>629159
I've own many Carhartt coats like this, they're always nice, tough, and warm. I guess I'm looking for something geared a little more towards hiking/backpacking/active wear. The Carhartt is really nice, but a bit bulky. I used them for farm work for many years.
>>
>>629162
>op lists criteria as not milsurp
>anon suggests milsurp
>complains criteria is too strict
>only criteria is warm and not milsurp
>>
>>629162
>>629165
This is what I was trying to warn you about here>>629149
The people on here have no problems spending more money on gear than they do their homes. Get you a stage 3 thermal top and bottoms for the winter and try those out with a good water and wind proof jacket and see if it works in your area. In works for me but I'm also in the Southeast. It gets cold but never in the negatives. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I really don't care.
>>
>>629165

Uhh na,

Criteria op said..
> versatile
> comfy
> layerable
> able to be used over 40 degree range
> durable
> cheap

So gtfo.
>>
>>629108
Outdoor Research Igneo jacket.
Made with pertex outer. Breathable as fuck. Windproof, waterproof. Light enough to layer, and plenty of bells and whistles.

A little pricey, but I've had mine for a couple seasons now and no complaints or damage. I even use it when mountaineering. I think it's certainly worth the price tag if you take good care of it.
>>
>>629657
I want something that is durable outdoors without making me look like an old Vietnam vet in some milsurp gear.
>>
>>629926
Sorry meant to greentext that.
>>
I'm pretty happy with my Marmot ROM soft-shell (in black. It's not fully waterproof but it's very water resistant, wind proof and it has a light lining. It's also a lot quieter than a hardshell jacket, which I appreciate.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
Just bought this to wear under my REI Kimtah jacket. I usually do sweatshirts with a few layers underneath down to about 30 degrees (unless I'm /out/).
For everyday use, these two should keep me comfortable until I have to use my winter coat when it gets close to zero.
>>
Get a buffalo
>>
>>629872
How's the fit on this. Found a site with size XXL on clearance for $134. Other sizes are $300.

I normally wear an XL, but can do an XXL if it fits small.
>>
I have a Marmot Estes(hooded version) and a Marmot Sutter jacket, I wear them together and while the coldest it's been so far was 38 degrees I have no doubt they would work fine in single-digit temperatures with thermal shirt as a base-layer.

My friend has a Marmot ROM like >>630088 suggested, I'd say that would be better than the Estes for cold weather.
>>
>>629165
it's not just me that hates the milsurp smell i see
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.