[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice for /out/ this week.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1110151104.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1110151104.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
So I want to spend the week /out/, but I'm used to warm weather. Here's what I've got:

Knife, camelbak, dirty bag, Sawyer mini, duct tape, salt.

Everdry (dryer lint and wax), lighter, duct tape, two hand warmers, Mylar cheapo.

GI poncho, hammock, SOL escape bivy, thermalite extreme liner.

Milspec polypros, wool gloves, merino beanie.

I'll also be bringing a mat, but haven't decided whether to bring a closed cell or inflatable one yet.

Now, the SOL bivvy is rated at 50F, and the thermolite is rated at adding 25F, and the low for this week is 26F, so I'm borderline there. I don't know how well the polypros work, but I've got down to 40 in the bivvy/liner without them. Is this suicide?

Not pictured, I'm getting a steel cup and sterno can for soup and hot drink, not sure what I'm packing for food, but that's my cookware limitation. What would you eat?

I'm trying for 3-5 days, won't be going too far from home at least for the first night, and this isn't in forestry land, so no fires. Any other advice you want to offer is welcome. Also, it's going to rain.
>>
>>628305
I forgot to add that I know better than to wear any cotton, and I'll be picking up some underlayer.
>>
>>628305
>Also, it's going to rain.
EXTRA SOCKS.
>>
>>628305
You're gonna be cold dude. I slept in the sol bivvy w/fleece liner for a few months it was great for summer but once it hit the 40s at night it wasn't enough. Even with my clothes on. I would seriously consider matching your bivvy with a 40 degree down bag. You'll never regret being warm at night. Also weight/durability wise, get a thermarest zlite. It does great for heat reflection and lets be honest; neo thrashers are too loud.
>>
>>628352
I've got an old 30F down mummy and 40F envelope. I don't think the envelope will fit the bivy. If I take the thirty, do you think I'll need the liner? The last thing I want to do is sweat at night.

And I realize this sounds stupid, but what kind of pants am I supposed to wear? I just realized that all I own is jeans and bicycle shorts.
>>
Go into this knowing you will freeze your ass off, cold, not much sunlight daylight etc and cold at night in hammock.

Bring lots of tea/coffee, ramen, trail mix and jerky, pop tarts, snickers. Better keep moving and eat a ton. But your probably going to die from hypothermia your first night so just bring one day of food
>>
>>628363
Jeans are always the best choice for winter. Especially in the rain since they dry faster than goretex
>>
>>628371
>>628374
Got it, thanks!
>>
>>628305
surprised no one has mentioned it:
DONT let your sawyer freeze. keep it on your person and out of frozen temps

personal favorite piece of gear is the poncho-liner. they're very lightweight and do well at cutting wind/gusts

if you can find one of those one-sided reflective tarps that might be a thing instead of/addition to the poncho
>>
>>628374
>jeans
>drying fast
Wut?
>>
>>628363
Don't bring the liner. Buy some swim trunks and ladies poly yoga pants XL. They work great as a thermal layer and dry fast if they get wet.
>>
>>628513
Sarcasm. But so was my response.

>>628578
I get the yoga pants, it's basically cheap dry-fit, but why swimming trunks? And why drop the liner?
>>
>>628476
I was planning on sleeping with the filter in my bag. But thank you, that could have been a life saver.

I thought liners were pretty heavy? I'm already planning on replacing the GI poncho with a tyvek one.

When I do the PCT next year, I'm considering hiking at night when burning calories will keep me warmer and sleeping during the day when I want to stay out of the hot sun. This should also reduce my pack weight, since I won't need as thick of a bag. Somebody tell me why more people don't do this.
>>
So the SOL bivvy is kinda like a big stuff sack made of emergency blanket?
How many uses does one get out of the thing before the material starts to break up and let more heat out?
>>
>>628658
I've used mine a few dozen times over the course of several trips, and so far it hasn't shown any wear at all. Its Mylar laminated to tyvek, so it's pretty tough for being such a thin material, it's the same stuff they make those concert bracelets out of that you have to cut off after you get home. You could still probably rip out a seam if you're rough on your gear, but it's definitely not a single-use emergency blanket.
>>
>>628624
no problem. you might think about a tertiary water source b/c if your filter goes out n it is as wet as you say it could be hard to boil drinking water.

nah not these liners. maybe a pound? i've got a ripstop lightweight version of the poncho itself; could be worth a shot if you have the old original style.

as a climber who's had to do some tricky trail-finding on a post-sunset descent: even a 130lumen headlamp isn't as good as sunlight. it's really easy to get off-trail and very hard to dead-reckon if you can't see peaks n features in the dark.
I think you'd burn through a ton of batteries. maybe run a solar panel when you play PCT vampire?
>>
>>628606
The trunks are an extra layer to keep your crotch dry and cozy. Running shorts work too, but the trunks are thicker and usually more of a wind blocker. You wont need the liner if you use a 30 down and bivvy. You'll be good for 15 - 20 without it.
>>
>>628624
You'll probably only want to night hike the Mojave where its mostly featureless. The Sierra Nevada mountains, sisqiyous, and cascades are difficult to traverse at night. You'd also be missing all the spectacular views.
>>
>>628658
I used the sol bivvy for about 3 months straight from pearisburg Virginia to katahdin Maine. By the hundred mile wilderness was where the reflective layer started coming off. But by then I was only a few days from finishing. It's a good cheap price of gear and it only weighs 8oz.
>>
>>628667
I wasn't too worried about water this week, because I'll be so close to home, but for the PCT I plan on carrying a dropper with bleach for a last resort water solution.

Like a dumbass, I gave my poncho to a private who'd torn his when I left the service, so the new one I've got now is the latest type. Still a lot heavier than tyvek, though. If I go the tyvek route, I may get full rain gear and a tarp instead of a one piece option. It just seems like it would keep me dryer than the poncho, so if I do, I'd be skipping the liner anyway.

I think that depending on the lunar cycle, I may not need a flashlight. When I play disk golf at night, I find it's easier to not trip on roots and find my disk if my eyes aren't constantly re-adjusting. But I do carry a 7w solar panel and flashlight/backup battery. So far, it's done well by me.

>>628729
Ah, okay. I'll look into the trunks. I may want to take them anyway.

My thirty is almost 20 years old. No idea what it'd be rated for now. As light as the thermalite is I think I'll carry it just in case, but I'm probably picking up a new bag when I get paid anyway.

>>628730
I'll do some night hikes in the next few weeks, and see how good my night vision really is. I think I'll be okay, away from the city lights and whatnot, but I should definitely find out first.

>>628733
Good to know. So there may be some heat loss around 80-100 uses? No issues with the tyvek tearing?

I really appreciate everybody's advice. I'm too new to cold weather camping to want to go in blind.

Also, and I don't know if I've mentioned it in this thread, but I'm thinking about chopping a hole in the foot and hood of my new bag, and sewing the bag onto my hammock, so the bottom of the bag is under the hammock and not compressed, basically acting as an underquilt so I can drop my pad. Thoughts?
>>
>>628854
Tyvek wont tear unless perforated with a sharp object, and even then it takes a huge amount of effort to separate the strands. Yeah, i'd say about 80 uses the foil started rubbing off.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.