[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Out/ Pack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

So I want to put together a pack to be used for hiking, fishing, and day camping (this is not a bug out bag or any survivalist stuff, just for day trips). I just need it to hold the basics (stuff like food and clothing will be decided trip by trip), so I started to throw a list together of stuff to put in it and I wanted a second opinion on stuff I nay or may not need.
I live in a forested area of southern ontario and i tour up north above the great lakes at least twice a year.

So far i have;
Flashlight
Headlamp
Lantern
26"hatchet
Collapsable saw
First aid kit
Telescoping fishing rod and reel
Tackle
Esse 4
Leatherman surge
Flint striker and a couple bic lighters
Tinder ( cotton swabs and vasilene)
Cordage
Mess kit
Microfibre towel
Water filter
Extra batteries for lights
Notepad/pencil
A guide book of edible and useful plants of my area
Ziploc freezer bags to waterproof and organize

As for the pack itself im not 10%sure what ill use. Theres a surplus store near me so i might try their for a cheap canvas type one, it just needs one big compartment and the ability to have a hatchet strapped to the side of it.

Let me know what im missing, or post what you have in your pack, or even a pic would be great

Pic related is the kind of pack id buy, its a bit hipster-ish so its probably expensive as fuck but it seems functional
>>
Do you really think you'll need a flashlight, headlamp and lantern for what I can only assume are day trips?
>>
>>627628
Lol yea shouldve mentioned that i do alot of nighttime fishing. And in the late fall through early spring it gets dark at like 5 around here

The lantern is a maybe, headlamp and flashlights are definetly needed
>>
>>627624
>Lantern
>26"hatchet
>Collapsable saw
>Esse 4
>Flint striker and a couple bic lighters
>Tinder ( cotton swabs and vasilene)
>Cordage
>Microfibre towel
>Water filter
>Extra batteries for lights

Don't know why you'd need those for day hikes in southern Ontario. I know it gets dark early and quickly around here this time of year, but you probably don't need both flashlight and headlamp.

I would add water bottle/bladder, and in the cold half of the year, a thermos or something for hot drinks/soup (the Urban Elements Tea Tumbler MEC sells is great for coffee, even fits in a bicycle water bottle holder, and I just got a Thermos King soup jar from Crappy Tire that's pretty good).

>>627633
>Lol yea shouldve mentioned that i do alot of nighttime fishing
OK I can see the point of a lantern for that. I like my UCO candle lantern, or you can put a diffuser on your flashlight (white plastic pill bottles work pretty well).
>>
>>627645
Alot of that stuff is more "just in case" items. I like to have the odd fire at night when im out do thats the reason for the hatchet and stuff. I like to have both a flashlight and a headlamp incase one breaks, or if i have a buddy with me.

Ill definetly add a Nalgene bottle in there, but im not much of a hot drink guy, ive had maybe 2 cups of coffee in my life

I appreciate the input though, thanks
>>
>>627624
>Packing that much shit for day hikes
Kek.
>>
Don't know if that bag has a place for a hydration bladder, but those always come in handy.
>>
>>627669
Why don't you get a more practical bag that does then?
>>
>>627663
>assuming day hikes will always only be for a day
>not being prepared for the unforeseen
Kekkeroni
>>
File: falls.jpg (102KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
falls.jpg
102KB, 960x540px
>>627670
Because I already have one, and am not OP.
>>
>>627672
>muh survival sitiuation
You fags are the worst.
>>
>>627676
Im op, but i didnt post the reply to you before.

But if you lived in southern ontario you would know that nights here are cold, and since im fishing im near water. If i happen to fall in hypothermia is a realistic risk, so building a fire fast very well could be needed. Im not a survivalfag but i do enjoy living, and preparing for something that realistically could happen seems to me to be a good notion.

Id rather have it and not need it then.... y'know?
>>
>>627676
>muh failure to take the unexpected into account
I bet you're the sort of fellow who doesn't budget time in for traffic accidents when you're on your way to a destination that involves traveling or of town. Fine, don't be prepared. More resources for the rest of us after you fail to bring socks and fall victim to hypothermia because you slipped into a creek and your feet got wet.
>you fags are the worst
Maybe, but I'll probably be breathing after you stop. Cheers.
>>
>>627682

>Id rather have it and not need it then.... y'know?
I'm glad you at least saw the sense in my advice. That's all that really matters, anyway. Safe trips, buddy.
>>
File: Always prepared.jpg (203KB, 980x552px) Image search: [Google]
Always prepared.jpg
203KB, 980x552px
>>627684
Do you get a patch for shitposting?
>>
>>627624
Hello Canadabro, Michiganbro reporting in.
Tell me about Bruce Peninsula National Park! I have wanted to plan a camping trip there for a while. The natural grotto looks pretty damn cool. Any experience there? Too touristy?
>>
>>627692
No, but I got one for rifle/shotgun marksmanship. Wanna come see it? It's kinda small, so you'll have to get close.
>>
Also, I do not see duck tape in your list anywhere. Has Red Green not taught you anything?
>>
>>627699
Also, because I find duck tape to be quite important yet cumbersome in its circular form it is helpful to vice grip the roll as flat as you can for portability purposes. Or simply park your front tire over the roll for a few hours.
>>
>>627684
You budget time for traffic accidents?
>>
>>627697
Op here
I actually went there in august, its fucking awesome to hike around there. The grotto is a bit of a climb to get down into but its right off the main trail, so its busy until you get down into it during the day. When i went we did most of our hiking at night, if you go about 15 km past the grotto theres some really cool rock overhangs that someone rigged some ropes around so you can kinda grapple down.

Would recommend
>>
>>627699
Good call, i usually do pack gorilla tape but ill be sur to add it in there
>>
>>627682
Then shouldnt you have something like a wool blanket? It would provide imediate warmth. As opposed to using your hatchet and saw to process firewood for a fire.
>>
>>627716
I bet he also carries one of those altoid survival tins. You know, in case SHTF.
>>
>>627720
Because if your about to suffer from hypothermia your body heat alone isnt enough to heat you back up, you need something external as well
>>
>>627724
So your going to leave your wet clothes on as you gather fire wood in the cold of night.
>good treatment plan
>>
>>627728
What your alternative genius? You try and warm yourself up with a blanket in that situation and you will die
>>
Hey OP, Michigan here again. You ever hang out at Grand Bend? Is it still as fun as it used to be?
>>
>>627736
Op again, i used to live right near there, ises to go all the time as a kid. As far as i know it hasnt changed much, i havent went for awhile since everything in the shops is overpriced and there are nicer beaches elsewhere (port franks), but im sure its still a good time. A couple new bars went in and theres a couple new large condo buildings going up near there so im sure is popularity will go up soon
>>
>>627734
If your core temp is below 95f you're going to have a really hard time gathering wood and starting a fire. If you are legit concerned about hypothermia you really should pack a wool blanket.
>>
>>627624
TP?
>>
>>627740
It takes time for hypothermia to develope, its not like your core instantly drops when you hit cold water. Wrapping yourself in blanket would be good until you build a fire or fod another heat source but if your wet in the cold a blanket wont do much for long...
>>627741
Theres a plant around these parts called sheeps ear, it has fuzzy leaves that are better than any tp off the shelves
>>
>>627749
You are confusing being cold and hypothermia.
Lets say you do fall in the lake. You swim to shore. It is cold and nightime. Your very first response should be to remove your wet clothes, dry off, and cover up. Not go collecting fire wood and try to start a fire. That is a sure way to develop hypothermia. If you are truly worried about hypothermia you should have extra clothes to put on as well as some kind of covering.
Or dont, one less Canadian won't matter much. Unless that Canadian is Brent Butt. I like Brent Butt.
>>
>>627740
Theres a video on youtube where a guy dips into water mid winter and makes a fire while still wet with a ferro rod just to review it, so id say doing it late fall isnt a stretch
>>
File: hypothermia-rates.jpg (50KB, 583x405px) Image search: [Google]
hypothermia-rates.jpg
50KB, 583x405px
>>627749
>It takes time for hypothermia to develope, its not like your core instantly drops when you hit cold water.
True, it takes at least a minute.

>>627758
>Or dont, one less Canadian won't matter much.
You're so edgy I bet you violate your local knife laws.
>>
>>627758
>that is a sure fire way to develope hypothermia
Not if you can built a fire like a fuckin champ it isnt

Either way that was just supposed to be an example of why i like to have the supplies to build a fire. Im not gonna bring a wool blanket for the small chance that happens (and hypothermia of that sort only happens in winter when i dont do much fishing), but ill bring a hatchet because ill use it in alot of other situations
>>
>>627768
So thats 15 mins at a water temp of zero with no protective clothing to build a fire

Ive done more in less time, so its not a stretch
>>
>>627715
You rarely need more than a few few of duct tape. Roll a little bit onto a minibic and/or your Sawyer mini filter. I recommend blaze orange, so you don't lose the stuff; I knew a guy once that carried a camo lighter. He lost it after a day, had to borrow a spare from me.
>>
>IIT
OP tries to justify buying a faggy hipster backpack that he can strap a hatchet to so he looks like an outdoorsman while day hiking.
If you want cosplay as your favorite youtube bushcrafter/survivalist go ahead and do it. You dont have to prove anything to the anons of 4chan.
>>
>>627780
I dont want that bag, i just said its a similar layout that i want. Couldnt give 2 fucks about the look of it
>>
>>627624
>Pic related is the kind of pack id buy

>>627782
I dont want that bag

Kek.
>>
>>627780
BTFO.

>dayhiking with a hatchet, saw, lantern,flashlight and headlight + 3 fire sources

>wants more gear to carry

It was nice of you to say that because it's something he needs to hear
>>
>>627809
IIT
People who cant fucking read.
>>
>>627624
>I live in a forested area
Nice, I am jelly

>So far i have;
>Flashlight
>Headlamp
Pick one, most times, I don't even need a light unless it's 2 am. Use LED of no more than 200 lms. Lasts 100 hours on 3 battery. Maybe both okay if same batteries

>Lantern
>26"hatchet
>Collapsable saw
Pick one for heat option. Also add a minimum of 4 hand warmers for emergency use in arm pits and femoral arteries in case of hypothermia.

>First aid kit
Fuck this, you better define what you might need

>Telescoping fishing rod and reel
>Tackle
Obviously this is your purpose of being out.

>Esse 4
WTF.jpg is this?

>Leatherman surge
>Flint striker and a couple bic lighters
>Tinder ( cotton swabs and vasilene)
>Cordage
>Mess kit
All these approved

>Microfibre towel
Why, fuck this

>Water filter
>Extra batteries for lights
Approved

>Notepad/pencil
One sheet of paper not a book

>A guide book of edible and useful plants of my area
Fuck this, learn this shit and leave the book behind.

>Ziploc freezer bags to waterproof and organize
Yeah

You are missing these:
ASS WIPE PAPER
.357magnum
5x7 tarp
Wool blanket maybe cut smaller
>>
>>627624
Get a regular backpack. Get some food, a tarp, a knife, a tent, and a lantern.

Then go in the fucking woods. I spent all day in the woods today with a hammock and a book. I only brought a multitool because it was already in my pocket. And guess what? I was fine hiking all day, not once did I need 2 axes and a saw and 12 different light sources.

You fucking dorks miss the whole point of going outside. You don't go out to collect stories for the internet. You don't need to belong to a 2sekrit bushcraftan counter culture.

Just fucking go fish and hike, champ.
>>
>>627876
Guy's got a point. Sleep gear and fishing gear is all you need. The lamp may be a part of your gear for night fishing, but most people carry more for an overnight than Lewis and Clarke did crossing the continent. Don't get suckered in by advertising and propaganda. If you really need something, bring it next time. Camping is about knowing that you can do without, improvise and make it work, not portable DVD players and collapsible wine bottles.
>>
>>627624
You hipster fucking faggot. You deserve to be beaten
>>
>>627698
>rifle/shotgun marksmanship
>you'll have to get close

You see where you fucked up here, right? Your comeback wasn't very good, anon.
>>
>>627624
maybe check out fjallraven kanken. They supposedly make sturdy day packs. I think their full on hiking gear is quite well regarded. They're a swedish maker.

If your hatchet is 26" it might be an axe.
>>
>>627768
>Having knife laws

Heh
>>
>>628170
>Kanken
fuck off with your hipstershit. its a bad pack for too much money. FjÀllraven makes way better backpacks than this POS.
>>
>>627957
>You deserve to be beaten
You have issues. You should learn to get /out/side.
>>
>>628170
The Kanken was designed as a backpack for school children. It looks shit, it's overpriced and not suitable for anything more than carry a lunch box from the school bus to the class room. unless you are a retarded hipster (although I've never met a hipster who wasn't retarded, so I guess they are one and the same).
>>
>>627624
Czech army surplus ruck sack, linen so it's actually pretty light and has one large compartment with two smaller ones, attaching an axe wouldn't be a problem
>>
File: drago.jpg (98KB, 1213x800px) Image search: [Google]
drago.jpg
98KB, 1213x800px
>>628262
Another cheap option is the Drago Gear Tracker
Makes for a great daypack, though I love me surplus deals as well
>>
>>627684
>shit
The posting
>>
>>627624
Get a medium alice pack (preferably with LC2 shoulder straps). Shouldn't cost more than $30-40 with the frame included. They can hold a ton of shit.
>>
>>628366
>Shouldn't cost more than $30-40

From where? I don't think I've seen one online for that.
>>
>>628471
>shouldn't
>doesn't

Not the same thing bucharoo
>>
>>628494
Are you >>628366? Because if you are I'm not sure what you're playing at.
What sense does it make to recommend someone buy something and give them a price they will not find the item for?
"I want a mechanical watch."
>Get a rolex, shouldn't cost you more than $200.
>>
>>628471
>>628501
I JUST bought one from a surplus store with a frame for $40 with everything. Ebay has them priced right from time to time if you find sellers that don't charge $20 for shipping. It's doable you just have to look/shop around.
>>
>>628501
Also I'm not >>628494. If you want to cut to the chase you can get this http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?table_72=859&table_215=1795&table_2991=28301&productID=51212&btnSubmit=Continue
It's $60 plus shipping which still isn't bad but it's possible to do better if you're patient and look around.
>>
>>627844
We Canadians cant be trusted with pistols in the woods.
>>
>>627716
I don't think he meant he budgets time for getting into accidents himself. Lots of city traffic is the result of minor accidents clogging up the roads at high-traffic times of day so yeah, he's just being prudent about being on time.
>>
>>627964
>Thatsthejoke.bmp
Point was, by the time you got close you wouldn't be able to 'mire it anyway.

>trollan on /out/ where people are always prepared
>expecting anything other than facetious replies
Choose one, friend. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
>>
since this is a pack thread:

How far can I push it with a 45 L bag?
>>
>>627699
>>627715
>duck tape
it's duct tape, duck tape is just a brand
surprised people aren't recommending 100mph tape
>>
>>629435
Ohboyherewegoagain.jpg
It was duck tape first. L2google, fgt.
>>
>>627624
Hit me up with a link to that bag.
>>
>>629424
Probably 10-14 days
>>
>>629628
ReallyGayFagHags .cornhole
>>
File: Pack.jpg (136KB, 704x960px) Image search: [Google]
Pack.jpg
136KB, 704x960px
Pic related is my overnight / day trip pack
>>
>>627772
nah that's not how it works
you fall into freezing water outside will be freezing you clothes will freeze and form an insulating armor of ice shielding you from wind
you probably got an hour before you start getting too numb to make a fire.
>>
>>629985
also worth noting that the places must be immediately dried where you can lose the most heat
which are the neck and the head (basically where a man has hairs)
other parts of your body are really good at preventing heat loss.
>>
>>629983

How many dragon dildoes can you fit in it?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.