[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UK wild camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: uk wild camping spots.jpg (483KB, 1200x646px) Image search: [Google]
uk wild camping spots.jpg
483KB, 1200x646px
Realise there's already a UK thread but it's a bit shit.

As /out/ shitposters often point out, wild camping in the UK is a pain in the arse. But it's possible. Can even be fucking marvellous when done right.

So, what's your favourite wild camp spot in our green and pleasant land? Scotland and Dartmoor in general are obvious correct answers, but be more specific, dammit.

I guess super easy places to drive to in europe (like France, Belgium, Netherlands, maybe Germany if it's a really amazing spot) can count to.
>>
There's still out in the UK? You guys already removed tree and fauna. Do you camp in some sheep pasture?
>>
File: 1446822875605.jpg (53KB, 548x352px) Image search: [Google]
1446822875605.jpg
53KB, 548x352px
>>626826
I swear, every good meaning thread on /out/ has to have some shitposters and trolls in it.

if you're actually serious, we have trees and fauna. Some areas are very wild and heavily forested. We still have more /out/ spots that ireland or mediterranean island natioms or netherlands.
>>
Is wild camping allowed most places in Scotland?
>>
>>626842
Yeah it is. It's a haven. The best landscape in the uk too in my opinion. The obvious (out of sight of roads, no litter) rules obviously apply.

>>626840
Don't respond you nitwit
>>
>>626845
>Yeah it is. It's a haven. The best landscape in the uk too in my opinion. The obvious (out of sight of roads, no litter) rules obviously apply.

Nice, i'll have to go some time
>>
im in n.ireland and as far as i can find out wild camping is totally illegal here..
that does'nt stop me - just dont get caught and leave no trace.
>>
>>626809
>vango
dropped
>>
If people post any really good spots I'm going to add them to a google map we can share.

have started it here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z4iNCPbl38rM.k35R_nuRl-Ro&usp=sharing

>>626840
i mean, you're right, but are you going to post any places you've actually camped?

>>626852
you too. everyone knows it's illegal, it is in most of england and wales too. post places you can actually do it and have a good time.
>>
File: 2-of-10-would-not-bang-1.jpg (213KB, 584x558px) Image search: [Google]
2-of-10-would-not-bang-1.jpg
213KB, 584x558px
>>626871
lol check this neckbeard out.
>>
>>626876
Poorfag.
>>
North Wales, snowdonia, devil's kitchen is glorious and out of the way enough to stealth it. National trust land I think
>>
>>626878
what kind of tent do you have?
>>
File: 20081016_164637-3stitch.jpg (273KB, 1770x600px) Image search: [Google]
20081016_164637-3stitch.jpg
273KB, 1770x600px
>>626884
Pic related
>>
>>626886
I've got a few. I have a banshee 200 by vango, one of my best tents in all fairness, but some of their range is pathetic.
>>
It really isn't difficult as long as you pack up early enough to avoid dog walkers. Something else I've found is that tents are a lot harder to see between the trees then hammocks, I've almost lost my campsite a few times.
>>
File: Hidden Lake.jpg (164KB, 960x543px) Image search: [Google]
Hidden Lake.jpg
164KB, 960x543px
>>626887
That looks like the hidden lake above the Poison Glen in NI.

I've successfully camped there and a few other spots in the Blue mountains.

Pic is the hidden lake.
>>
>>626840
Not even trolling.

Looking at google maps its wall to wall sprawl and farm. Some tiny strips of what I assume are parks or protected streams.

Every out picture from UK has been grasslands or bogs.

I even looked up Sherwood Forest thinking the old robin hood stories might of saved it the Axe, and its no bigger than central park.

Certainly can't argue for the fauna, you have deer and rabbits? Migratory birds?
>>
>people itt shitting on our Outdoors
We still have the highlands, cunts.
>>
>>626886
Don't respond man
>>
>>627020
There's parts of the Lake district and sussex that are very densely forested. Don't look at scotland or wales or dartmoor or norfolk area, which are very deforested. Lake district, wyre forest, the weald, etc are very forested and cosy.

It's just where to look and go that is the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTfHaRE9jo8

here's a video. The lake district especially has overgrown plantations mixed with native woodland. They're pretty nice places.

there's fuckloads of rabbits, deer, birds, etc. too many deer since everyone killed wolves and bowhunting is illegal and it's difficult to get a rifle licence, but at least we have some fauna.

here's some english woodland for you
>>
>>626884
Stealthing Devils kitchen!? Do you dig an underground shelter because that place gets heavy traffic on foot. perhaps not so much this time of year now North Wales has descended into one massive foggy rainclound
>>
File: newforest.jpg (112KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
newforest.jpg
112KB, 640x480px
>>627020
that's true for a lot of the UK; you're mostly right.

but as suggested in OP,
>wild camping in the UK is a pain in the arse. But it's possible. Can even be fucking marvellous when done right.
There are some fucking amazing spots. Both with and without forest. Why are you assuming there *has* to be forest for a decent wild camp?
>>
File: 20151102_09295i7i.jpg (5MB, 7241x2150px) Image search: [Google]
20151102_09295i7i.jpg
5MB, 7241x2150px
>>626887
pic related- that's Llyn Idwal, not Devils Kitchen- Devils Kitchen is part Y Garn (the fucking hill in the background)

>>627065
this guy gets it- I was 1st up at the lake, and on the paths about 20 mins after it got light last week (I went for a walk to cook pancakes for breakfast) by the time I'd eaten , and had a coffee I'd seen 11 walkers, 2 dogs, and two park wardens come up as part of their 'daily walk around the lake to check the paths are clear' as well as a spot where someone had scattered ashes and left flowers.

DESU it was fucking heartbreaking - some anons know me from other threads- I'd the one with the fucked back that walks with a stick after an accident, haven't been up there for years now but I got medicated to the eyeballs and dragged my ass up up to the lake as a bit of a milestone. The amount of rubbish (don't get me started on orange peel) and dog shit along the pathways hurt me on a level I didn't know I had.

On the way down I passed two large groups of DofE types festooned with head mounted GoPros. laughung so much they were snorting about how they were going to leave a trail of peanut shells to find their way back- I nearly lost my shit and lashed out with the walking stick.

A little bit of me was reborn that day from being able to make the trip up- it cost me a lot in the effort, but a bigger part of me died seeing the shitfest the place has become.

pic related, sunrise over Glyder Fawr last Monday from the lakeside
>>
File: 4291357-9177821154-Natur.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
4291357-9177821154-Natur.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>627139
Yeah you can camp without forest. I just prefer a nice, deep, old forest instead of a windy hillside. Just preference.
>>
>>627147

>windy hillside
>pretty much all of Snowdonia

this is why I do a lot of coastal wild camping, well worth looking into
>>
>>626840
Ireland has some nice out spots but the regulations on anything out are very strict.
>>
>>627151
New Forest, Thetford Forest, Forest of Dean. there's plenty of smaller ones dotted around too. I live near several small forests, woods and commons that are quiet enough and have the space to wild camp unseen. Epping Forest is another good one and that's inside the M25.

You're either bullshitting, shitposting, or desperately searching for ways to justify how little you get out
>>
>>627164
I agree with this, but some places are genuinely just fucking bleak without hours of travel to get too and from. Wild Camping is an art though- you've got to be willing to take what you can find and do the best of it

having said that one of the best nights out I ever had wild camping was when a few of just just parked up on a back road somewhere down by Malvern, hopped a hedge, and set up in a field full of sweetcorn- every time someone got up for a piss the 'he who walks behind the rows' gag got cracked was much fun.

I can also recommend just getting on a random bus out into the country, and walking until you're away from housing- again myself and buddies had a great time doing this, we found a random spot a good few miles inland from Aberystwyth and had a cracking couple of days out.

just don't build bonfires, and don't make a fuck ton of noise- most people won't even know you're there
>>
I'm from Scotland, camping is great in the summer because the rains warm.
>>
Lake District dweller here.

Wild Camping is kind of a tradition in these parts. All the national trust ask is that you dont light fires and leave trash everywhere. I think they prefer it if people camp as high up as possible but its not a problem if you dont. The only real problems youll have is if you camp on private land and the landowner tells you to fuck off.
>>
I'm interested in travelling somewhere next April or May and I'm leaning towards Scotland. I haven't done much research yet because I have to focus on school for the next 6 weeks, but anyway....

How easy is it for an American to travel, hike alone, communicate with locals etc. I want to mostly hike through the highlands and possibly rent a motorcycle. I would plan to be there for 3-4 weeks. Is that enough time to see a good portion of Scotland? Keep in mind I don't care much for culture so I wouldnt spend more than a day in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
>>
>>627230
Hey man.

Scotland is a great choice. 3-4 weeks is plenty of time. Communication will be easy (I've heard that murrican's find it tricky to understand scottish accents? just watch some youtube vids until you get used to it, it's perfectly coherent english).

I recommend the whole west coast north of Fort William. Drive to Glasgow and on the A82 past Loch Lomond and through Glen Coe. That will be a treat. Continue to Fort William and then all the way to Skye. Do some hiking on Skye (Camasunary Bothy in Google maps link above is right next to the Cuillin Ridge), and then push on to the Applecross peninsula.

I could go on. give an email or something and we can talk more.
>>
>>627233
Sounds good. I assume weather isnt too bad in late April and May? I know it's overcast in general but im not going to get rained out every day right? I haven't done any research yet, but I've seen some documentaries that made me want to explore Scotland. I know Glen Coe and Isle of Skye are not to be missed, but beyond that Im clueless.
>>
>>627151
Looks awesome. I wouldn't dream of walking through shit like that in straya
>>
>>627143
Nice to hear you saw it at the very least. Fuckin good shit.

I suppose being so close to the road with decent parking, and being so scenic, it was always destined for big popularity, ya grumpy fucker.

I do wonder in all seriousness if you just don't remember the rubbish and dog shit part of your old trips up round there... Last time I was there in the summer I tried that idwal staircase and had a terrifying day, I can't remember seeing a single bit of litter even though it must've been there - other more lasting memories saw to that.
>>
>>627246
Weather can vary hugely. First time i went to Skye was in late April and it was mid-summer weather. Glassy sea, blue skies, really warm. A few years ago I went back to the highlands. Arrived on Rannoch Moor on 28th April at about 2am. It was snowing and the weather was atrocious for the duration of the trip.

So it's really down to luck: Bring decent gear and be ready to make the most of it whatever the conditions. A decent gore-tex/event/paramo coat and trousers will go a very long way.
>>
File: p goes to scotlant.jpg (72KB, 960x786px) Image search: [Google]
p goes to scotlant.jpg
72KB, 960x786px
>>627500
(Incidentally, the time I went back to the highlands and it was snowing it was on a trip I organised with a bunch of friends from /p/. It was great)
>>
From The Trossachs and north, really!
>>
>>627230
I saw a frenchman hitchhiker get through the heart of the Cairngorms in skinny jeans with a shite tent in July with no map and do most of the highlands in about 2 weeks, you should be doing great.
>>
Holkham Norfolk, there is a forest right next to the beach, I wild camped there for a few days in early spring but had to leave after one too many dog walkers wondered to near to my camp.
>>
>>627047
nice spot
>>
>>627169
>just don't build bonfires
None whatsoever or just massive fires?
>>
>>628081
not that anon but imho a visible fire is a beacon saying "I'm here, and i'm camping, and i'm the sort of person who lights fires"... which isn't really a good thing. Wild camping is usually ignored when no one knows it's happening or it's low key (think paper bags to get around public drinking laws in the states) but a fire destroys that. So i personally keep them small and hidden if they absolutely have to be there, usually because my friend insists on them.

A big fire is just a larger version of above beacon but with more 'no subtlety and restraint' thrown in. Certainly not people I'd want camping on my land, if I had any.
>>
>>628106
I'm not planning on building such fires. Precisely that, small, one-man fires hidden away where no one can see them and buried when done.

Actually, 'Bonfire' is an ambiguous term, that's why I asked him to clarify. I'm not trying to be a cunt and start a forest fire.
>>
>>628119
Ahh cool, bonfire to me means big-ass fire but i understand the ambiguity.
>>
>>627143
We have the highest population density in europe now, it's high time we closed the borders and only let in rocket scientists rather than the road sweepers we've been importing by the fucking boat load, seriously we need the population to go down by about a third, lets deport anybody foreign who commits a crime and turn back all those refugees.
>>
>>628106
If I'm stealth camping then I use my trangia stove, it's quiet and there's no smoke to give me away, an open camp fire is a nice thing to have but it attracts to much attention.
>>
a small fire is good for moral and mood, besides LED light gets a bit clinical at night.
>>
>>626826
Do you even Scotland, dude
>>
>>628582
As a britfag, he has a very, very good point. British uplands have been destroyed, particularly in Scotland.
>>
>>627421
yeah it was rewarding to get up there, but I wont be doing it again in a hurry- at least not before next summer anyway now. I've got a few other old haunts around Snowdonia on my list to check out too when I'm up to it

I really don't remember it being that popular or messy in the past, and I've never encountered park wardens there- last time I went before this they still had that pokey little snackshop you could by day tickets for fishing from, now there is some kind of visitor centre and all sorts there. It was a bit of an eye opener if I'm honest. the whole thing has been massively 'accessified' for want of a better term. talking to a few friends there has been a massive influx in walker since digital cameras are the new 'hobby thing' every one is seemingly doing these days. Apparently a couple of different camera clubs turned up at a well known 'spot' along Llyn Padarn in Llanberis for some winter sunrise shots ( the sun comes up right down the valley over Pen -y -Pas in the winter) and it got a bit heated over spaces to set up I hear.
>>
>>629502
I do get yer point there... The old general rule of thumb applies as in all things - people ruin everything.

I bought a coffee from that visitors centre looking place last year. That shit was fucked up I have no idea how anyone could get coffee that wrong.
>>
>>628135
buy a cheap plane ticket to poland, enjoy nature

wild camping is legal outside national parks
>>
>>626809
don't come to belgium, there is no /out/ here
>>
>>626826

>tfw I live in a green beautiful area and its all being "developed" next year except a tiny part which they couldnt touch because its a nature reserve
>>
>>627047
thetford/wangford are fucking huge
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.