[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal pack tweaks and mods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 16

File: lk35.jpg (20KB, 230x200px) Image search: [Google]
lk35.jpg
20KB, 230x200px
So I bought this little gem off eBay and I love the fucking thing. As i admire the simplicity of it and because it recommended to me from here I ask: What changes have you made to your packs? Doesn't even have been the LK35, I'm looking for ideas for changes in general. Show them here.
>>
File: lk35 Alice Pad.jpg (23KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
lk35 Alice Pad.jpg
23KB, 360x640px
ALICE Kidney pad. They're like 5-10 bucks on ebay. I paid 11.95 shipped. I need to properly tighten mine up but even loose it's nice and comfy. Follow MCQBushcraft on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVEsNSJQC8
>>
>>625985
I was recently out with someone who had one. He hated it, said it was too heavy, and didn't fit right, kept jabbing him in places. It may have been adjusted wrong, I don't know, just relaying what I was told.
>>
>>626000
Nice GET. If the pack is loaded down a ton and there's no kiidney pad on it it can be a bit rough, but compared to other metal frames I've used the LK35 frame is fine. If his experience is with non-metal frames then yeah he's gonna hate it until he gets used to it. The kidney pad completely resolves this issue and it just straps right on.
>>
>>626000
Op here, you have to have a kidney pad with it loaded down or it's a rough day on the best day.
>>
>>626000
I'm always suspicious of people that complain about gear. I think most of them are just fucking soft and like to exaggerate.

But I've never owned the best of the best gear, either.
>>
>>626002
>>626004
I hadn't realized about the pad. I'll have to find out if he has one. I've got an old camelbak bag that's done good by me personally, so I've never looked into (milspec?) bags.
>>
>>625997
I've been looking for a link like this. Thanks anon. I actually have an alice pack that a friend gave me that is completely FUBAR and why he gave me it I have no idea. I may cut it apart and stitch the useful parts to my lk35.
>>
>>626007
Of any milspec bag made it's probably the least "tacticool" one.
>>
>>626006
Lol. Agreed. He wasn't exactly a hardened woodsman, but he tried to keep up with the group. The big thing for me though, was that he was open minded. I know I'm an arrogant prick, but I still give good advice, it's nice when people are respectful enough to heed it.
>>
>>626007
Also, a bigger thing is to also replace the shoulder straps and add a kidney pad. There are a bunch of online forums that recommend this for exactly what your friend complained about.
>>
>>626010
It's been retired since the Korean war, hasn't it? I'm kinda surprised you can still find them in surplus stores. I guess that does attest to their durability, though, huh?
>>
>>626014
They're still in production but not on a military scale. You can find them almost everywhere in a laundry list of conditions.
>>
>>626014
Also to add, that the damn things are amazing durable. The price point they're at and the durability are what made me decide on it. You have to do a little tweaking(obviously why I'm here) but that's no big deal.
>>
My bag had a bunch of useless straps on it so i cut them off, now im not an ultralighter or anything like that but no shit, it was like 400g of straps and buckles when all was said and done, that seems ridiculous.

I want to sew in an extra pocket in this flap on the bag, im thinking a heavy duty zipper as the closure. I plan on butchering a old duffel bag for the canvas fabric.

Im also fucking around with the remaining straps and buckles on the pack, just tailoring it to my preferences.

Theres a list of mods im slowly working my way down, i swear, modding your gear is such a satisfying experience.
>>
>>626096
I actually made four bike bags out of an old duffle bag, I got the material, zippers and most of the straps I needed. The duffel bag cost eight bucks, the cost of buying the bike bags would have been over $200. And yes, very satisfying!
>>
I put an austrian surplus 4 piece alice pack on a modern tatonka framed pack. This combo is gold.

Lots of space with extra small bag and will hold up to 50kgs. I train with it regularly at 45kg but would only carry 35kg max on an excursion.

I am interested in what those older steel framed milsurp packs perform like, but I have an alloy framed pack and an internal framed pack so I don't need anymore packs.
>>
>>626096
>i swear, modding your gear is such a satisfying experience.
Agreed. I get so excited about the ideas I can do with it.
>>
File: S91407200-2T.jpg (5KB, 212x250px) Image search: [Google]
S91407200-2T.jpg
5KB, 212x250px
I bought one of these on impulse after browsing the kommandostore, thinking it would be small and basically take-it-to-and-from-work type thing.

But no, it's around 45-50l which is plenty of room for my outdoor kit. As for mods, well I don't know if you can call it mods because it clearly has holes that accept them, but I added my own leather straps and buckles to the top and bottom, to hold my tent at the top and pad at the bottom.

There were a few strips of leather sewn to it, about 1 inch wide by 2 long, with just enough clearance to fit say, a fat marker. I tied up a toggle and twisted it through there and tied the other end to my aluminum pot kit, all lashed together to prevent it from spilling.

I'm thinking the other one can hold my teapot, or maybe some tarp poles, lashed together and held with a toggle the same way. Pretty good for 40$ though.
>>
>>626277
And as an afterthought, I might replace the straps, even though they're comfy. I say might because it feels like blasphemy honestly, they're so nice. Although I would stick a kidney belt on there if I knew it would fit.
>>
>>625985
i got the very same backpack today.
a dude just gave it to me he said the frame is very good never tried it.
is it good?
>>
>>626328
I love mine. Buy a kidney pad for it at the least. Save you a lot of grief and discomfort.
>>
>>626278
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>
>>626356
I feel you. But I do want to add at least something that can hold onto a good sized water bladder, it could easily be done well with matching leather
>>
>>625985
i have a similar pack from my father that he mounted a hip belt on. it's fucking horrible with a load over 15 kgs, would not recommend.
>>
>>626649
15kg is a decent amount of weight. I don't think many people carry that much in a 35, I know I don't anyway.
>>
>>625985
It's hard as fuck to find extra pockets to sew on.
>>
>>625985
i just taken apart a pack like this and washed it
it still smells revolting
anyone else have this problem?
>>
>>629817
Dude, someone died (and decomposed some, from the sound of it) while wearing your pack.
>>
>>629936
it smelled like more of a material thing to me some petrol based product perhaps used to waterproof the fabric, the packs inside looks like it has been covered with something shiny.
>>
File: Pack-lounger.jpg (24KB, 345x194px) Image search: [Google]
Pack-lounger.jpg
24KB, 345x194px
Saw this while searching for backpacking chairs, thought it was pretty cool.
>>
>>626277
I have one of those and love it, I haven't done any mods to it yet but I want to add a waist belt. My only complaint is it weighs as much empty as some peoples Ultralight setups i think.
>>
>>629817
>>629936
>>629972
they guy that gave it to me says it's just standard military warehouse smell whatever the fuck that means probably a potent mixture of mold and preservatives and pesticides possibly toxic if inhaled
>>
>>630332
The pack will air out in a few weeks. Mine did. It still lightly smells like that if I press my nose to it. Other than that it's fine.
>>
>>630367
i hope so, cause i got nauseous from the smell after a day.
>>
>>630404
Its gonna be waxed canvas and oil/petrol/deisel and musty library books thats standard army surplus smell brother, and that smell is the best.

Just air it out, and i mean air it out dont just hang it up indoors, hang it up outside in the sun and the wind, the smell will allways be there to some degree but it will mostly go away, like 90% go away.
>>
>>629936
I feel you, recently I got an m65 jacket
>find one for 15 bucks
>pretty much pristine condition, just a hole in the pocket where some worker jabbed through it with a coat hanger
>take it home
>iwonderwhyitwascheap.jpg
>look at inside of coat
>massive blood stain
>that wasnt a coat hanger hole
>fuck
>>
>>630659
blood magic, m8. in battle you can call forth vietnam beserker rage.
>>
>>630659
metal
really tho that actually sounds kinda cool
>>
>>630719
>hiking
>pass by some vietnamese hikers
>vision blurs
>wake up
>covered in blood
>have red bandana tied around head
>vietnamese hikers dead
>m60 out of nowhere
>the m65 thirsts for blood
>>630723
its pretty neat, but also a humbling to realize that a guy died in your jacket.
>>
Can I use pretty much any external frame with any pack?
>>
File: 20151022_161653 EDIT.jpg (105KB, 456x582px) Image search: [Google]
20151022_161653 EDIT.jpg
105KB, 456x582px
Nice choice OP, pic related is mine
>>
File: 20151022_161832.jpg (98KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20151022_161832.jpg
98KB, 480x640px
>>631652
More info
Added hella padded kidney and shoulder pads off a Outdoor Products 90L bag I got for cheap. Side pouches are matching swedish mag pouches, sewn on 2" webbing with a sewing awl. Can be remove (one is med kit + hygiene, other is things like flashlight, plinker, water filter, ect). Adding on a spot for my hydration bladder and hose, need to thicken the side pocket material and add some paracord+carabiner to be extra sure they won't get yanked off.

Sewed on the kidney belt with 2" webbing and a sewing machine. Nothing to it just some time and pocket change.
>>
File: 20151022_161858.jpg (95KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20151022_161858.jpg
95KB, 480x640px
>>631654
>>
>>627939
see
>>631654
>>
>>631654
I tried to find some of the attachments you did to your pack. I just can't find the swedish pack set in the US. Got any state friendly links? Ebay didn't have any.
>>
>>631633
Maybe. Whether or not they fit or fuction properly is up for debate.
>>
File: DvmuJ.jpg (22KB, 353x363px) Image search: [Google]
DvmuJ.jpg
22KB, 353x363px
>>631661
I got mine off varusteleka, did a group order on /k/ with the milsurp crowd. If not you pay $30 to ship it, much cheaper in a group. Alternatively you can sew on 2" webbing ALICE style and use ALICE pouches. Or just got full tacticool and use molle. Only issue is sewing that will be difficult because of the angle.

Google G hooks. Using some of those and modified molle pouches you could very easily attach some with minimal sewing. and they'd pop right off. I would suggest a strap across the bottom if you do that (think a belt, securing the pouches on both sides)

also not my pic
>>
>>631668
I'm not looking to go full tacticool. But this is solid advice. Thanks.
>>
Used my LK35 for a hike through McKittrick Canyon in GMNP in October. Only had about 20-25lb in it (water, year before it was hot as hell that time of year so I kinda overdid it on water this last time). I used a 3" wide webbing (old helicopter load sling I think) as a makeshift waist belt and once I got everything adjusted it worked out rather nicely.
>>
mine still smells awful
a lot less than before but still
>>
>>626000
They don't work well for fat people.

By buddy who had one had got jabbed in his flabs but he's more /fit/ now and loves it and comments on how different it is.
>>
>>632041
i'm not so much as fat but have a wide back
i always have to wear 3xl shirts that are too flappy in the abdomen area but at least give my shoulders enough space, i had to have a custom made leather jacket cause i wanted one that fit right and could move in.

i'm really interested how this frame will fit me, the alice pack was fine as i remember but i was a lot younger and thinner when i tried it.
>>
>>631668
how much did it run you?
>>
File: bergans_meis.jpg (324KB, 799x1240px) Image search: [Google]
bergans_meis.jpg
324KB, 799x1240px
>>627192
true enough, i shouldn't either. but my pack is a much larger version of pic related so i tend to overpack it. have thought about adding some kind of compression straps to the frame for this
>>
>>632597
I would.
>>
>>630537
I placed my pack that had that smell in the front closet in my house. When I opened it and that smell hit, I knew a good weekend was ahead.
>>
So I recently went backpacking with a basic medium Alice pack. Fucking horrible. The kidney pad distributed basically no weight and the frame dug heavily into my back.
How do these packs compare comfort wise? I'm pretty interested.
>>
>>625985
My only suggestion is to get a real backpack. Backpack and boots are the two places you should treat yourself. Like seriously if you like backpacking (either back country or traveling), buy a fucking backpack its something you will only buy it once and use forever
>>
>>635545
The frame fits pretty good. Getting a kidney pad is a really good idea at the minimum. Buying some padded shoulder straps is a decent idea too. But as far the frame I don't think you'll have that issue.
>>
>>635558
I actually like my selection. Sure it's not an osprey but it's still alright.
>>
>>635558
You can own more than one backpack you know. Personally, I like to use a high-low system where I'll use the expensive stuff for multi-day trips that require some planning beforehand, and the cheaper surplus stuff for general outdoorsing.

If you break a piece of (relatively) expensive gear while on a short overnighter it's a disaster, but when using cheap stuff you can utilize equipment to their breaking point without too much worry.
>>
>>635558
Truth be told; I loathe the way backpacking packs look. It's a lot of the reason I bought the lk35. I went in to a few stores and asked for beginners stuff 2 years ago and when we got to the pack part they immediately went to $135 packs. Almost every time. When I told them I didn't want to spend that kind of money I got that look you see English nobles give poor people in movies. So I went to Dicks and Academy and their cheaper packs for no names were crap. I just don't care for the idea that you MUST blow a full paycheck on your gear to enjoy the outdoors. Though I don't care to look like a wannabe soldier either.
>>
>>625985
None really, I bought an arcteryx khard and it's pretty good out of the box once you add the inner-pouches, a hydration system, and a rain cover.
>>
File: Ryggsäck.gif (26KB, 335x300px) Image search: [Google]
Ryggsäck.gif
26KB, 335x300px
>>625985
can anyone translate
>>
>>636052
it depends what you are bringing with you. If you want to bring a tent + sleeping bag + sleeping pad I wouldn't want something like an LK35 but if you are going tarp or hammock camping seems fine.
>>
>>637205
Packing instructions Backpack 35 LK
If you have a sleeping bag, mount it on the claff (the "lock")

in smaller pockets: kåsa(mug) fork, knife, alco for your stove, can opener, hygiene articles, small stuff

at the bottom (on the outside) you can mount your sleeping mat (dunno what it's called, the foam you lay your sleeping bag on)

then to the right it says:
the order of stuff is flexible depending on weather, use own experience.
and so it goes from top to bottom:
1.5l water bottle,
rain clothing,
warm jacket,
warm jumper
... cant read the rest of the picture due to the size of the font, but you get the idea.
And at the bottom of that part it says:
+ termos

I have exactly the same bag as OP, they can be bought really cheap off of swedish "ebay". Fjällräven etc
>>
https://youtu.be/S_fjUKl4B3U

He reviews the LK35 starting at around 32 minutes.
>>
>>637512
mine has been hanging out in the air for 2 weeks now after being washed and still smells like ass
>>
>>638100
try heating it up with hair drier and see if anything beads out of it. Might have some preservatives in it. That's how I remove cosmoline from porous materials at least.
>>
>>638100
It's always going to have some of the smell to it.
>>
>>625985
I sewed a few holsters into my pack to carry my backup guns.
>>
>>639129
Pics please
>>
I used to jave a lk35 now its sitting in my closet. A great cheap bag but too small for me and I had to upgrade to a larger one.
>>
>>626011
>respectful enough to heed it
god damn i hate getting help from an arrogant bastard, but as long as he doesnt expect a thank you ill usually grit my teeth and heed the advice if hes knowledgeable.

must be a good feeling when some prick keeps fucking up and you tell him what to do and you can see him not want to do it just to spite you but then he does it and it actually works
>>
>>639373
It's at my dad's house right now. We went on a trip recently in montana.
>>
>>638100
Alright, legit top trick here that will probbably work for you.

lay down a bunch of newspaper or a tarp or something to stop yourself making a huge fucking mess, put your bag ontop of newspaper/tarp/whateverthefuck and sprinkle that motherfucker with bicarb soda, not just a little bit, i mean use a whole box, get it inside, outside, all over the pac, in the pockets, in the seams, douse it like a victorian era child with lice. Leave it for 24 hours then vaccum up all the bicarb. Your bag should now stink considerably less, if at all. Lather, rinse, repeat untill you reach desired results.

Its a bit messy, and takes a while but every time ive used this method to pull the stank of old gear its worked.
>>
>>640506
thx will give it a try
>>
File: CIRCUIT-2T.jpg (49KB, 232x360px) Image search: [Google]
CIRCUIT-2T.jpg
49KB, 232x360px
This pack is fucking obsolete. Throw it away and invest in a real piece of gear.
>>
I want to get an ALICE pack for myself, and I'm looking here: http://www.armynavysales.com/products/alice-pack-medium-o.d.-green-new-and-used

The price difference is so vast I'm almost tempted to buy a used one, but I also get the feeling that it will be a POS if I do. Anybody have any experience with used surplus?
>>
>>640793
You can see yourself out.
>>
>>631578
If you dont want it m8 ill buy it off ya
>>
>>640793
What don't you like about it exactly?
>>
I want to get one of those Mystery ranch ALICE frames and just use it with a regular surplus ALICE, but apparently they are as rare as unicorns.

Pic related
>>
>>640793
LK35 is ridiculously cheap if you live in Sweden though. (same is probably true for other countries with their military backpakcs)
They sell for 100 sek /12 usd here. Sure they're not the most comfortable, but they'll never break.
>>
>>641947
No man, that jacket is mine now. The pact is sealed
>BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
>>
>>640818
It's best to send an email and ask what condition they're in if you feel uncertain. Unless they're from storage, usually it's just some cosmetic damage, like the colors fading or names written, maybe some small holes, broken zipper/cords/buckles/straps etc. that may need to be changed. Sometimes they smell weird.

It says in your link "(Pack includes shoulder straps only no frame.)", probably why it's cheap. Make sure you get one with a frame.
>>
>>636052
>$135
>full paycheck
Damn nigga, you're poor as fuck.
>>
>>630283
Wouldn't the inside part be digging into upper back or shoulders?
>>
>>642112
That's not what he wrote.
You have poor reading comprehension skills.
>>
>>642124
>whiteknighting a poorfag
Kek
>>
>>642112
You're a bad troll. I didn't say $135 was my entire pay check, don't be a child. "High end" camping gear for the entire set from the pack to the sleeping system and everything in between AND clothing/boots/layers can EASILY cost you in the upwards of $1500+ US. THAT would be an entire paycheck for me. Not 135. If it all cost that little I'd be happy about it.
>>
File: 99-get.jpg (15KB, 248x200px) Image search: [Google]
99-get.jpg
15KB, 248x200px
what do you guys think of the LK70 i'm about 6'5" and not sure if the LK35 is quite my size
>>
File: Successful-troll-is-successful.jpg (35KB, 300x441px) Image search: [Google]
Successful-troll-is-successful.jpg
35KB, 300x441px
>>642606
>you're a bad troll
Yet you responded.
>>
>>642666
they're the same frame.
>>
>>642709
I believe it's slightly taller, more curved and come with a hip belt.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (122KB, 732x976px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
122KB, 732x976px
i have pic related as a backpack

it's perfect in every sense, expect that it has no (1) frame and no (2) no hip belt.

is there any way to add that for those trips that i carry weight?
>>
>>643393
Buy an external frame and strap backpack to it.
>>
>>636052
arent these things viable?

can someone comment on these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YAAGLE-Mountain-Climbing-Backpack-Explorer/dp/B012CTSY4U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41TmqyfpLUL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1XYWPZMWWQDPBSYJ53YF

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Partiss-Multi-function-Hiking-Travel-Backpacks/dp/B00VJK6SIS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_35?ie=UTF8&dpID=41TUSXMig2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=02DETG96VXNGAMYS8GQM
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.