[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

food/cooking kit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14

File: 1446755875572.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1446755875572.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Want some improvements, show me what you've got so far, emphasis on cheap and easy. Also best well rounded nutrition with minimum weight foodstuffs.

Shitty loaf pan pot
Assorted spices
Bags of tea/sugar teabags in with tea
Little jar of salt
Spoon
Tinfoil
Cup
Empty peanut butter jar for little stuff to go into. It fits in the loafpan well
Flask
Popbottle full of rice n lentils
>>
Talk to me about the rice and lentils anon.
What is the highest elevation you have cooked that concoction?
>>
>>625149
Have not cooked it before, but next ime im out with my buddies n not to trashed i probably will n see how it works. Would altitide have a large impact on how it would cook?
>>
>>625256
Not >>625149, but water boils at lower temperatures the higher you get so typically it will take longer to cook. Seeing at you are cooking lentils from raw it could be a few hours at high enough altitudes.
>>
>>625267
The lentils i have cook faster than rice, im expecting that when i do cook this the lentils will be mostly a mush. Id expect the rice to be what yells me its done, but i have no experience with high altitude cooking
>>
>>625270
Interesting, last time I made an Italian sausage soup my lentils took close to an hour to get to where I liked them. Maybe I shouldn't make lentils ever again.

The shit part is I have tons of recipes for camp food that has beans in it (duh, it is a great source of protein and it stores for years). But the camp buddy has a nickel allergy and can't eat any beans. Like any. So there goes that.
>>
>>625276
Ya im wondering if mine were parboiled or something. Theyre fuckin awesome curried thats for sure
>>
Kik is Cameronbales and pushman40
Both gay
Looking for fun
>>
>>625369
wat
>>
Good thread. Finally.

On short trips I bring an actual ice cold lunch cooler with sausage or chicken or whatever the fuck I wanna eat. Then I bring a bag of rice/beans. I cook most stuff in a half high cast iron pan over my fire.

It's a lot of weight but I fucking love food and I am strong enough to just carry it.

On long trips I eat tons of peanut butter and stupid protein bars and shit. It is the only thing I hate about serious hikes.

>select all images with doughnuts
>>
>>625117
Pemmican. No cookware or utensils, just 6.6 cal/gram pemmican.

That last time I was out, I used a Stanley kit, an alcohol stove and a titanium spork. The titanium scratched the steel pot, the pot was too tall and narrow to utilize much heat, and the alcohol stove got bent to shit. Next time, I'll probably go with a hard plastic spoon, wider pot and sterno can. But that's for camping, I'm still thinking cold pemmican for the PCT.
>>
>>625988
You are a stupid, pretentious faggot. Just know that.
>>
>>625993
I know. But I'm not wrong, either.
>>
>>625988
I'm a fan of wooden/bamboo spoons. inevitably, the metal on metal contact will create some wear debri that ends up in the food. with a plant fiber utensil, I just eat a little wood at worst. plus, they tend to be more sturdy than the plastic for similar weight.
>>
>>626058
Probably lighter and less toxic than plastic, too. My concern would be that bamboo is pretty porous, and I don't carry the equipment to properly sterilize utensils, usually it's just "rub some sand into it, rinse it out." I don't even use soap, except after cooking something greasy. It keeps my immune system alert.
>>
Quinoa has complete protein. I think a cup of quinoa and a cup of buckwheat with a fat stirred in would probably just about meet your macros for the day. Assuming no exercise.
>>
File: image.jpg (915KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
915KB, 2048x1536px
>>625988
Yeah, those Stanley pots require a stove with a narrow flame ring or you lose too much heat. I've been using mine with a cheap Etekcity canister stove. Works pretty good...

Here's my 10 year old son's review of the Etekcity stove with the Stanley pot:

http://youtu.be/T8OptenP9hw
>>
>>626139
Nobody wants to watch that
>>
>>625996
I second this
>>
>>625984
>someone thinks my first thread is good
>>
File: IMGP7224.jpg (216KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7224.jpg
216KB, 1000x662px
>>626139
I got a bloody $30 coleman stove and I have the heat loss problem a little bit, but it's not too bad. I find that if I keep the flame low it actually boils water faster (because the flame stays under the pot). Still will boil a pot of water in just a couple minutes so no complaints.

Ha, nice little video. Always good to get the kids involved. He seems to know his way around the gear pretty well.
>>
>>626139
Jesus man , do that kid a favor and beat the southern accent out of him before he gets to prep school.
>>
File: 1396230787603.png (24KB, 400x351px) Image search: [Google]
1396230787603.png
24KB, 400x351px
>>626360
alright that's enough
>>
>>626069
not the anon you were replying to, but I agree re: the wooden utensils
dry woodfiber is actually more sterile than most other surfaces because the fibers draw moisture (like from bacterial cell bodies) away from the surface. this is why wooden cutting boards (for example) are better than plastic.

I whittled a long handled scoop-like spoon for myself; love it.
>>
>>626139
>>626353
4Chan doesn't like the pictures on my phone, but I modded mine. If you cut a groove in the middle of the clasp, you can get the handle to sit half-way, and use it as a hanging pot over a fire. You don't have to worry about heat loss as much when the fuel is free.

>>626368
You're telling me that the pores make it more sterile? I'd like to believe you, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Seems like it would just suck any bacteria into a warm, damp sheltered environment.
>>
>>626374
>If you cut a groove in the middle of the clasp, you can get the handle to sit half-way, and use it as a hanging pot over a fire.
that sounds pretty neato actually. Wish i could see a pic, cuz I'm not totally clear on what you mean.
>>
File: 1107151346a.jpg (649KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1107151346a.jpg
649KB, 2048x1350px
>>626375
See if this works...
>>
File: 1107151346.jpg (600KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1107151346.jpg
600KB, 2048x1350px
>>626376
Huh, I was wrong. It does work.
>>
>>626368
>this is why wooden cutting boards (for example) are better than plastic.

This turned out not to be true. I used to tell people this all the time since I had a side business making high end , end grain cutting boards.
Boy did I have to eat some crow when further testing showed it to be nonsense.
I no longer sell them even though I prefer them myself.
>>
>>626375
I also replaced the plastic clip on the lid with a key ring, removed the cheap locking mechanism from the handle, and covered it in pine and cedar soot, you know, so it looks cool.
>>
File: 20151107_155035.jpg (477KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
20151107_155035.jpg
477KB, 1161x2064px
>>
>>626378
oooooh i see. cool beans! thanks I might try this. how would you recommend i cut the grooves? wire snips? file?
>>
>>626388
The one thing I really do like about the Stanley pots, is that they fit nicely under the front of my bicycle seat. I do get weird looks from people in motorhomes though, when my bike is covered in gear and I'm hauling ass down the highway.
>>
File: T1c658_1.jpg (134KB, 1024x458px) Image search: [Google]
T1c658_1.jpg
134KB, 1024x458px
>>626397
ha, the very worst kind of cager is the glamping variety
>>
>>626390
I did it with a dremel. It would be difficult to get a file in that small space, I think.
>>
File: vanagon-3_si.jpg (211KB, 1024x740px) Image search: [Google]
vanagon-3_si.jpg
211KB, 1024x740px
>>626400
Glamping is a blast if you do it right.
>>
File: 1107151410a.jpg (588KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1107151410a.jpg
588KB, 2048x1350px
>>626400
The last time I was out at the lake, I rode eighty miles to get there, with 25 lbs total gear and food for a two week stay, fishing with pic related. My last night there, a couple with a giant ass, motorbike and fishing boat go out on the lake with a fish radar and Champaign. I just don't see the point, why not just pick up a smoked salmon and cook it in the backyard?
>>
>>626408
*giant-ass motorhome.
>>
File: ark2l.jpg (71KB, 631x472px) Image search: [Google]
ark2l.jpg
71KB, 631x472px
>>626407
Yeah I know
>>
File: 1-hot-rocks.jpg (84KB, 701x467px) Image search: [Google]
1-hot-rocks.jpg
84KB, 701x467px
only cooking utensil I need.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (64KB, 593x800px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
64KB, 593x800px
>>626451
only ingredient I need.
>>
>>625117
The last couple of times I've gone out, I've mostly just eaten trout cooked over an open flame. You gut it, leave the lower jaw, jam a cleaned stick though it's mouth into the tail, and roast it until the fat starts to drip, then a few more minutes upside down (that's why you leave the jaw), and when you can peel the skin off cleanly, it's done. When you're done, you burn your dishes and make more, there's nothing to carry.

Squirrels, rabbits and nutria can be done basically the same way, not sure how I'd make cat-tail soup, though, unless I still brought a pot...
>>
>>626454
Lol. That's awesome.
>>
>>626408
Couple of points:
- Smoked salmon isn't something that requires further cooking. Even cold smoked, it is eaten as supplied.

- 'Fish radar', as you describe it, greatly increases ones productivity when on the water, when properly employed.

Just because you enjoy doing something a certain way doesn't mean that is the sole and only way to enjoy it. If these people were not specifically bothering you what concern is it of yours what they are doing?
>>
>>626408
that looks like a really shitty hand reel. way too thin and therefore slow. any 0,5 l bottle would work better. or a tin can with a handle inside. unless you also use that shit as a dildo.
>>
>>626381
damn, really? i didn't know it got disproven.
what about a vaguely insecticidal wood like cedar or redwood? surely occasional use on my part wouldn't poison me, but might be enough to be antibacterial. i tend to treat my pieces with vitamin E and beeswax.
>>
>>626499
They were, actually. Those drunk idiots were up until two in the morning, when I needed to be up at the crack of dawn to be home on time. I go out in the woods to be out in the woods, not to listen to my neighbors television, dogs and drunken laughter.
>>
>>626577
It does kind of suck for reeling. But it works, it's light, and it fits perfectly in the bottom of my frame bag.
>>
>>626640
>it fits perfectly in the bottom

seriously man, just make one as described. you will throw further and reel faster. both bottles and tins are hollow, so you can put stuff inside them.
>>
If you have wooden utensils and you want to keep them clean and durable you can shellac them. Shellac is made from boiled bug excretions and is naturally food safe. It's commonly used for sealing wooden bowls and serving platters.
>>
File: oats.jpg (36KB, 370x246px) Image search: [Google]
oats.jpg
36KB, 370x246px
One thing you guys should look into is soaking oats. Apparently back in the day it was widely understood that some grains should be soaked in water with additives to break down antinutrients. By additives I mean you can stick a bit of apple cider vinegar and rye groats in there, or something like that.
You remove this water with additives prior to cooking and it will give you a faster cooking and more nutritious food.
Even if you do not eat oats this method may be useful and desirable for cooking other things like lentils or rice.
I'm not sure what other grains are meant to benefit from this process.
>>
>>626662
That whole anti nutrients BS is laughable but pre soaking does reduce the boiling time and thus the amount of fuel needed. The best way to do this is to add the correct amount of water and bring it to an initial boil then cover and shut off the heat. Wrapping the pot with a towel at this stage to hold in the heat is a good idea. Once your grains have hydrated and cooled somewhat, you should put it back on the stove for it's final cook.
>>
>>626648
You do not want to shellac high wear stuff like spoons. Dont use anything that builds a film.
Best thing is wax/oil combos.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.