[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bootsnshoes/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: MRLM-J21123-091813-F14-HERO.jpg (77KB, 790x657px) Image search: [Google]
MRLM-J21123-091813-F14-HERO.jpg
77KB, 790x657px
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good winter boot or shoe. Here's what I'm looking for:

>Black (the boots will be part of my work uniform)
>Warm but not sweaty; breathable*
>Comfy; I work at a grocery store where I'm on my feet all day
>Light weight, compact; don't want anything clunky (such as those hi-tec boots)
>Relatively casual
>Waterproof
>Under $200

These are my current choices:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/polarand-rove-waterproof/17425M.html?dwvar_17425M_color=J21127#cgid=mens-winter-boots&start=1

http://www.rei.com/product/889152/vasque-snow-junkie-ultradry-winter-boots-mens-2013-closeout
>>
>>623176
>breathable
>waterproof

pick 1
>>
>>623180
Oopsies, disregard breathability
>>
>>623176
because we all know exactly how your foot is shaped, so can give valid recommendations sight unseen.

seriously. fuck off to a store and try stuff.on.

also
>wearing the same shoes for work and play
>>
>>623180
>>623186
You can have breathability with waterproofing tech.

it's all about the socks, if you don't have breathable socks you get sweaty feet in gore-tex lined boots or shoes.

just because your boots are water prooof and breathable doesn't mean it will work with just any old sock.

the sock is an integral part.
>>
File: 290590_1948_41.jpg (37KB, 428x494px) Image search: [Google]
290590_1948_41.jpg
37KB, 428x494px
I recently bought some L.L.Bean Storm Chasers, Lace-Up boots. 119 bucks. good warranty. light, waterproof, and warm.
>>
Carolina's
>>
>>623197
— TRIGGER WARNING —

If you can't make specific recommendations, I would appreciate some more advice when it comes to looking for boots.
>>
>>623206
cop some Danners, or Merrells
>>
>>623201
Would a merino wool sock do?

>>623203
Thanks bro, noted
>>
>>623176
Salomon x ultra
>>
>>623211
Merino is usually a good sock, however it is wool, so it does retain a percentage of it's weight in water. synthetics are nice, but they don't regulate temperature as well as merino does.

so you can use merino in the winter or summer.

There are also sock liners that backpackers use, you wear a sock that is breathable, and then you use a sock liner.

Socks are usually overlooked by everyone that buys a shoe the complains that it isn't breathable, or that their feet are soaked in waterproof, breathable shoes.

it's all about the socks baby, never skimp out on them.
>>
>>623212
The x-ultra seems a bit too hiking-oriented, but their casual shoes are catching my eye...

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/deemax-3-ts-wp.html?article=376878

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/shelter-cs-wp.html?article=372811

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/snowtrip-ts-wp.html?article=543908

Thanks!
>>
>>623218
Thanks!
>>
If you're working indoors, your feat will get sweaty in winter boots no matter what. Also, breathable and waterproof do not work well together. Membranes can do only so much, and they only work well in cold weather. Since you'll be sweating mostly while indoors, that won't help.
Consider different boots for work and /out/ and/or layering with socks to offset the temperature difference.
>>
>>623254
this

different shoes for different things
however I agree that breathable and waterproof don't work well together.

there is technology that allows water vapor to escape, while keeping water droplets out.
>>
>>623256
sorry I meant

THEY DO WORK WELL TOGETHER.

you can have breathable and waterproof boots, if you have socks that are breathable.
>>
>>623254
>>623256
Thanks guys, warm boots are out of the picture then; 2 different pairs are not an option here...
>>
>>623263
All Socks are breathable, strictly speaking, except for special VBL socks that are basically plastic bags.
Also, membranes are overhyped. They really do only work with a temperature difference between the two sides. It's not a bad idea for winter boots, but it won't help much inside.
>>
File: 1443116354635.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1443116354635.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
>>623218
This.

I whent from walmart brand socks and always had a bad time (blisters and wet feet)

Switched to darn tough socks and have never had a problem. I even use them in construction and they work great.
>>
File: Merrell Thermo-6.jpg (161KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Merrell Thermo-6.jpg
161KB, 900x900px
>>623176
>These are my current choices:

I don't have any experience with the Vasque brand but I see they have an UltraDry lining, which is a Goretex type breathable-waterproof material and that's good.

Now I do know Merrell makes good boots, I have a pair of their Thermo6 (in black) that are my winter work shoes (machinist here) they're 8 years old and still going strong.

But as both the Vasque and Merrells you listed are insulated, I'm wondering if they might be too warm for the indoor work you're doing?

My Merrell Thermo6 aren't really insulated but they are rubberized and waterproof (though non-breathable) and can get a bit too warm in the later winter/early spring, depending on the weather but they are good for sloshing thru slushy parking lots and doing a bit of snow shoveling after work.

My rest-of-the-year work shoes are black New Balance running shoes, which are cushy and comfortable for standing in front of a mill all day erry day, while cheap enough ($50) that it isn't an issue replacing them every coupe of years.
>>
>>623176
If you are primarily working indoors do not get insulated boots. They will be too hot regardless of what they are made out of.
>>
>>623218
> It's all about the socks baby, never skimp out on them.

Indeed, good advice.

In the last couple of years I've gone all-synthetic for all my socks, except for my heavy winter socks for deer hunting or ice fishing, where I use Cabela's Deluxe Cold-Weather socks ($14 on sale) on top of Cabela's Ultimax Lifetime Liner socks ($9 on sale).

Best winter socks combo ever, IMO.
>>
>>625227
>Cabela's Ultimax Lifetime Liner socks
>>
>>623176
It really comes down to what your definition of casual is and where you live. You know, casual boots for the winter in New York versus fucking Lapland.

As for waterproof, this is a bit of a catch-22; most boots that are waterproof tend to look a bit more clunky. If you're going for a more stylish boot, you may be better off just buying leather and getting a water proofer for them.

>>623180
http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/home

It works.
>>
File: 004.jpg (1MB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
1MB, 1152x2048px
pic related is happening to my hiking shoe. the inner sole lining (or whatever it's called) is starting to flip up, wat do?
>>
File: wolverines.jpg (856KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wolverines.jpg
856KB, 2560x1440px
>$60 brand new on eBay

Thank you laced God
>>
got some Timberland 'chestnut ridge' last month and i really like them
>>
>>625833
Buy new sole lining, better than default ones
>>
>>623176
miendl's > danners > merrel's
>>
I don't know about you but I would buy these as winter boots. Cheap and good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMAL-WINTER-MENS-EXTREME-COLD-WEATHER-ICE-SNOW-ARCTIC-WATERPROOF-BOOTS-6-13-/280766456039
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.