[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: samick.jpg (249KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
samick.jpg
249KB, 1920x1080px
Hey /out/,

How about an archery thread? What are you
>shootan
>fletchan
>purchasan

What kinds of bows do you shoot? I'm an instructor of a few years, looking to get into the sport more recreationally. I've instructed on Mathews universal bows and was taught to shoot on one, but I'm looking to pick up something recurve that feels nice and that I can use to teach my housemates at uni. Scout camp where I work has a few recurves I like:

>PSE Optima
Decent design, but previous archery directors torqued the fuck out of the limbs
>Bear Grizzly
This one's in damn-near mint condition -- I've only had the courage to string and shoot it a few times, but goddamn, it's nice
>all kinds of old York stuff
I don't even think they're in business any more, but the bows work well enough, esp. for beginner instruction

all that and a sea of Genesis compounds.

With all that in mind, do you guys have any recommendations? Pic related is a Samick Sage, recommended to me by a friend -- that said, I'm not likely to take his opinion to heart, since it's the only bow he's ever owned himself.
>>
>>622973
I shoot a matthews mq1, beautiful bow. Don't really care that it's on the older end, just needed a new peep and someday I'll put a whisker biscuit on it. It's out in my wife's car or I'd take a pic.

She shoots a PSE something or other, got it for her for my birthday. She loves archery a lot more than going to the range which is understandable.

We both really want recurves but funds are limited, so we stick with what we have. I've heard the Sammick sage is a great way to start but if you're experienced you've got more info than I do.
>>
>>622991
thanks anon -- I know it's odd for someone with experience like me to ask for recommendations but I don't really have a means to hands-on test a bow up here (upper peninsula MI university, no wheels to drive anywhere)
>>
>>623001
I understand, I'm a troll relocated to another great white state, just on the border of canada, so im not close to too much civilization either. If I had more knowledge I'd love to give suggestions.
>>
>>622973
I have a PSE recurve I almost never shoot. It's just a pain in the dick you can't keep the string on it and I feel like it is hide and seek every time I shoot an arrow over the target.

That being said I think Bear and PSE are great but I've moved on to firearms for inna woods carry
>>
>>622973
Ok me Instructor I have a few questions.

I'm a gun man but a gun is not always appropriate. I really want to learn how to use a traditional style bow. Are PVC bows a good place to start making your own for practice and testing? I have nearly no money right now but what are good cheap bows to use? What types of arrows? I'm going to hunt rabbits and coyote mostly with it.
>>
I'm a compound shooter, shooting a carbon overdrive ay 60#. Just purchased a 10" front bar and a V-bar mount to make it more of a western hunting/longer range set up and finding it a pretty positive change - can't wait to shoot it 50m+ with the new stabs. Sadly no fletchan as yet - need to buy a jig sometime soon.
>>
>>624341
Hey man, I'm not the instructor (compound guy below you), but I got my start making PVC bows. It's a bit of fun but a real bow tends to blow them away for performance. What they're not bad for is training up your ability to handle weight cheaply, i.e. you might make a 25# bow and work your way up to 50ish over a few bows for a few bucks of pipe a piece.There's some stuff to take into account making them though - easiest way is to check out the backyard bowyer on youtube and copy him.

On arrows, the first and most important consideration is that the arrow is matched to your bow in weight, spine and length. As for type of arrow, carbon all the way. You'll want feathers (not synthetic vanes) if you plan on shooting off the shelf/hand.

As for cheap bows, the default answer is samick sage for trad, but look around, stick to respected brands etc.

One thing I can't stress enough is that you should focus on learning form. In all forms of archery, but especially trad archery, your form is the entire basis of your ability to hit anything. Find yourself an experienced archer or even a sporting club and get some teaching. You can learn a lot online and from books, but it doesn't beat getting taught by someone who knows what they're doing.
>>
>>624341
On your prospective hunting arrows, part of why I suggest carbon is the ease of changing points and inserts.

I've never hunted coyotes, but with a trad bow I suspect you'll need conventional cut-on-contact broad heads. Rabbits you'll likely want a judo point or small game head for.
>>
>>624839

Had a thought: another alternative to PVC bows, albeit one that's a little more tool and labor intensive is board bows. There's a guy on youtube called boarriorbows who makes bows out of red oak boards and has build videos. Easiest looks like a holmegaard/mollegabet longbow with a shelf and backing (your choice of fibreglass cloth, rawhide or sinew). I think his mostly come out around 50# but you could make it lighter by making your bow longer and taking more wood off the belly.
>>
>>622973
I have bow hunted the last 7 years. Both trad an compound. It's more work as far as stalking an recovery but worth it if you can hunt in bow only areas
>>
>>624844
Judos are over rated. Just get some blunts
>>
>>625085

How so? Been thinking about getting some. Do you reckon they're less effective than blunts or is it more that they're not good enough to justify the money?
>>
File: Shovel.jpg (17KB, 600x213px) Image search: [Google]
Shovel.jpg
17KB, 600x213px
>>622973
I was hoping there was a thread open, sweet. I recently just bought a PSE Snake Recurve because I've always wanted to learn and I'm not doing anything so I decided fuck it. Any tips on equipment I should buy? I noticed that whenever I draw and release, it hits the hand holding the bow and it hurts like a mother fucker. I'm sure that'll go away when I learn proper stance and form and all that fun stuff, but should I buy Gloves? Or is there some sort of Spring suppressor that I can buy? Any little bit of information helps (:
Picture unrelated, only /out/ type picture I have
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>625176
The latter. They are a gimmick. The prongs do stop arrows quickly in grass and weeds but not enough to justify the price over simple blunts. And they get bent fairly quickly whereas you can abuse decent blunts for a very long time before then need replacement. I have had these for years. The two sets of judos I had died after less than 6 months
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>625427
Learn form before you do anything else. YouTube is your friend. If you need an arm guard your posture is shit. I would get either gloves or a tab. I personally dislike tabs and opt for a glove. Completely a personal choice.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>625427
The other thing to buy us these guys. Cat whiskers. Real cheap and take the "slap" sound out of your sting. Night and day difference for about $3
>>
>>625443
>>625444
Awesome! Thank you so much!
>>
>>625440
The wires on the zwickey judos do look a little fragile. Have you had any experience with viper points (spiked collar that fits behind a field point kind of thing)? Haven't done any small game hunting yet, but I figure it's worth knowing just in case.
>>
>>625469
I did but they offset the weight of my arrows due to my chosen insert sleeves. They arnt needed tho. I shoot squirrels and rabbits often and refuse blunts are plenty enough to do the job.
>>
>>625483
*regular blunts
>>
Is it possible to hunt bear with a bow?
>>
>>625502
yes, it is. even elephant to my surprise.
>>
>>625483

Good to know. Kind of interested to see how a blunt does out of my compound now
>>
>>625502
You can pretty much hunt anything with a bow in theory, as long as you've got sufficient penetration to put an arrow reliable through the heart and/or lungs of whatever your after and as long as you yourself can reliably place an arrow in the vitals of whatever it is you're trying to kill.
>>
>>622973
I shoot a Martin Tracer LT with a short cable so I'm at about 310 fps with a 29 inch draw. Flip down rest and a single bead sight. It adjusts for elevation. Haven't done any FOC research/work with arrows/broadheads. Shooting Beman ICS hunter 400 arrows with 100 grain spitfire broadheads. It has the fuzion cam. I like it well enough and it's much better than the ancient PSE that I was shooting before.
>>
>>625502
People hunt black bear with bows all the time. I wouldn't want to hunt the bigger bears with a bow- at least without having a slug gun as a back up.
>>
>>625587
How did you manage that? 310fps is pretty quick, especially for an arrow that's probably ballpark 390-400 grains. Difficult to do at 60# unless you've cut your arrows as short as possible and used the lightest components possible and at 70# or more you'd be way under-spined with a 400 at a 29" draw.
>>
File: IMG_0004.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Here's my Mathews Z2 out back on my longer range.
>>
File: IMG_0134.jpg (3MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0134.jpg
3MB, 2448x2448px
Another of my Z2, a close up on my boar target
>>
>>625861

> uploading the picture sideways
>>
Hi /out/laws I'm interested in taking up bow hunting, but I have no experience in hunting of any kind, lil help?

Is it a good idea to go straight to the bow without doing rifle hunting in between?

How much advantage do you have shooting say a 90lb bow vs 60lb? Do you need arnold-like strength to pull a 90lb bow?

What's the best prey to start hunting with a bow?

Cheers m8s
>>
>>625832
My neighbor who put the string on it told me that's what it was shooting. He has a chronograph. My arrows are 343 grains 29" long. It's rated at 290 I believe. I'll have to measure it on the chrono myself apparently.
>>
>>625502
Regularly done. Up here people even go to kodiak to bow hunt bears
>>
>>625525
Juz get the same weight tips your alrdy using and there will be no difference. Assuming you mean field/target tips to blunts
>>
>>625867
How do you have 29in arrows at a 29in draw especially with a drip away rest? I smell bullshit
>>
>>625925
That's actually not all that unbelievable. Compound draw length is measured to the front of the shelf and a drop away rest sits behind the shelf, so arrow length equal to draw length is not unusual. Mine personally are 0.5" longer for fixed blade clearance, but if you were shooting a narrow mechanical or just field points you could very feasibly cut your arrows a full inch shorter than draw length even.
>>
>>625974
I shoot spitfires and they're pretty narrow. My neighbor gave me some rages, but all but one of them needs new blades.
>>625925
The rest sits like 2-3 inches behind of the tip of the arrow at full draw. SO pretty much what >>625974 said.
>>
File: 20151106_234752.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151106_234752.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>626029
This is what it looks like. I don't have 3 arms so no picture at full draw, but I could have cut them another inch short and still be fine shooting mechanicals.
>>
>>625867
Not to have a go at you mate, but realistically I think you're more likely shooting somewhere around 260-270fps with your set-up. To shoot faster than IBO you'd need to be shooting a draw length longer than 30", be shooting more than 70# and/or shooting a potentially dangerous arrow weighing less than 5 grains per pound of draw weight. You're still not horribly slow though at 260-270, it's just that 310 is exceptionally fast - like the kind of speeds you see out of an expensive 80# bow slinging an arrow in the mid-400s weight range.
>>
>>626051
I'll have to get it on the chronograph and see what out actually does for myself instead of taking someone's word for it. I am a beginner when it comes to archery so I can't speak the technical details to great extent.
>>
>>625974
And then you can never ever use broadheads
>why
>>
>>626032
I would ask if you could have gotten a shittier sight but I alrdy know the answer. Tell me you at least ages a decent release
>>
>>626051
This guy knows what he's talking about
>>
>>625860
Sexy bow. Just got a second bear. Gunna have to step my game up. Any expirence with their "cam less" that has cams? What's the deal with that?
>>
>>625587
>310fps
Such lies anon
>>
Got a compound bow, How to I stop canting up/down?
>>
>>626130

There are good reasons to cut short, amongst them cutting down on overall arrow weight and reducing the weight/length of your shaft to optimise FOC. In a target/field/3d set-up, you don't need broad heads, so valid option there. Shortening your shafts stiffens dynamic spine, so maybe you want them shorter to take more weight on the head or insert.

Whether or not you can shoot broad heads with an arrow length equal to draw length or less is kind of dependent on how short you go, how high you rest is off your shelf and the kind of broad head you're using.

Equal shaft length & draw length shouldn't be too huge an issue even with a fixed blade provided it doesn't come back past the visible collar of your insert. Mechanicals can come pretty skinny, as I said before, and may have adequate clearance sitting over the shelf.

Also: obviously check your set up first before chopping arrows short, throwing broad heads on there and giving it a bash. Even better, check with your pro shop. Lots of variables.
>>
>>626149
Are we talking twisting your hand side to side diagonally (what you'd usually call canting) or more forwards/backwards at full draw?

Hard to do a full diagnosis without seeing but hopefully this helps:

-FIT: Ensure your draw length is correct for you. Get measured. Get the bow adjusted. Also, get your peep sight adjusted to the right height for you. You want everything to just sit in the right place, not have to stoop your head into it.

-FORM: Look into form. Align your body perpendicular to the target. Use an open, relaxed grip along the thenar eminence. Draw across your body engaging your shoulders and back. Rotate your bow arm so your elbow is out to the side and keep your bow arm shoulder down. Anchor in the same place every time. Look through the peep, align and aim with the body (not the bow arm). Draw your right shoulder blade with your finger on the trigger, dragging your draw arm elbow backwards and letting the shot fall. Hold then relax.

-KIT: Start using a finger sling. Get a front bar 8-10" long with a few ounces on the front. V-bar too if you like.

Summary is, make sure everything with the bow is right, i.e. it fits you properly, then look into form, specifically proper grip and back tension. Buying stabilisers is up to you, but I recommend a finger sling. You can make it out of a shoestring and it'll help you maintain good grip form throughout your shot.
>>
>>626149
Work in your basic fucking form you faggot
>>
>>626152
>trying to sound like you know at all what your talking about
>excessive verbiage sub par info
>implying speed means jack shit in 3D shoots
>implying arrow weight of any value can't be corrected for with literally any sight
>sperging

Ahh /out/ you never disappoint
>>
>>626156
>I can google
The post
>>
>>626132
It came with the damned bow. Why is it shitty? Because I can make elevation adjustments on the fly to account for range and only use one sight picture like a rifle? Doesn't seem that shitty to me...
>>
>>626051
Would 65# draw, 29" draw with 29" arrow @ 8.4gpi with a 100gr mechanical broadhead be realistic for 300 fps?
>>
>>627644
Is this with the Martin Tracer? If so, probably not (IBO on that is 298 or so). The IBO testing conditions (i.e. where that number comes from) is the bow tested at 70#, 30" draw length with a 350 grain arrow (minimum safe), often with some tricks like using a shooting machine and shooting with no peep sight or fletching to get the most optimal number. IBO is pretty hard to match in practical terms.

If you're not the guy with the Tracer LT, what bow are you shooting & what's the IBO speed? Also, what's your total arrow weight with that set-up (including insert, fletching, nock, etc)? What stuff have you got on your string?

You can actually find the formula for working speed out online, as well as calculators that do it automatically from these parameters, which is nice for playing around with set-ups.

If I may ask, why're you trying to hit 300fps? What're you hunting?
>>
>>627644
>>627804

I'm fully expecting to get shit on for this, but theoretically you'll get the most penetration out of a Tracer LT at 65# 29" with an arrow that weighs 510-520 grains with a fixed blade. It'd be going somewhere around 210-220 fps.

You could do a 29" Gold Tip Velocity 300 spine with 4" feathers, an accu-lite nock, 100 grain insert and 125 grain fixed blade. With the glue, you'd come out pretty much right on 500 grains with ~19% FOC, going just over 220fps. Could be a bit close to the wind with the spine.

If penetration hasn't been an issue for you though, no need to go heavy like that.
>>
>>625866

Mostly a 90 pound bow is going to shoot heavier arrows faster. A 500 grain arrow going 300fps+ is pretty great and crazy at the same time and will basically kill anything on the planet (provided you can hit it in the right spot and a few other factors).
A hard-cammed 90# bow would be stupid hard to draw though. Safari bows tend to be 80# or maybe 85# and not cheap. You'd need a lot of gym time & disposable income.

60# is sufficient for most things, and a really fast (340fps+) 60# bow is even better. If you're just starting, I'd buy a 60# bow, dial it down to 50#, learn how to shoot and work it back up to 60#.

What to hunt depends on where you live I guess?
>>
>>627804
Yes this is with the tracer LT. The cable on it is a half inch short so from what I understand I picked up a little extra. I'm really just wondering what I'm shooting. (Correct if wrong) The faster I'm shooting the flatter my trajectory can be at further distances. The flatter my trajectory, the better penetration at distance. I'd like to get dialed in out to 50 yards. Right now I'm at ~35 eyeballing it. No reason why.

>>627818
Penetration is not an issue. I shoot mechanicals though.
>>
>>628192
Speed will definitely help you out with flatter trajectory, up to a point. Your current set-up, doing ~270fps should hit less than 5" lower than an arrow going 300fps at 40 yards, for some perspective. I shoot 425 grains at about 280 myself, which is still a respectable pace. If you wanted to get all the speed you could, a 325 grain arrow (i.e. minimum safe weight) would get you to 280, but I probably wouldn't hunt deer with it.

On penetration, speed is a factor, but weight is too. Basically, momentum makes an arrow penetrate and weight and speed have an equal part in momentum. The thing is, arrows shed speed but don't shed weight, be it in flight or penetrating a game animal, so a bit of weight will penetrate more reliably. There's a sweet spot though and if you keep getting heavier past that you'll actually lose momentum. That's all academic though if your rig's working fine for you.

Shooting 50 is good fun. Been meaning to go further myself but I've run out of pins.
>>
>>626187
>>626191
>>626189

>Dem shitposts in the span of 4 mins

Shut your cock-holster and try contributing for once.
>>
I'm looking to get into archery, does anyone have recommendations? I was thinking a 35# recurve takedown to get my technique down, then put 60# arms on to fuck shit up with.
>>
>>629145
>35# recurve takedown to get my technique down
more like #25 if you want to learn a good technique
>then put 60# arms on
This will completely fuck up your form again. I would recommend you to get a cheap ILF riser. You get a lot of cheap limbs (also many used ones if you want) for this systems. Then you should slowly increase your drawweight in about 5# steps until you have reached the maximum weight you can shoot comfortably (which will probably be much lower than 60#, more like 50#). This process can take more than a year but it is definitely better for your form and your health (shoulders etc.).
>>
I've been working on a mi'kmaq bow for ages

right now I use a laminated maple bow, works just fine

havent hunted in a few years though, once I settle in a state for more than a couple years I'll get licensed and do it again though
>>
File: MicMacBow.jpg (50KB, 520x768px) Image search: [Google]
MicMacBow.jpg
50KB, 520x768px
>>629372
forgot pic of glorious mi'kmaq bow

mine is pretty similar to this one actually, or rather will be
>>
File: ken2.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ken2.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
Anyone have experience making traditional wood arrows? I've always wanted to make at least a few, and would love to create a stockpile if it was practical. I live in central texas next to a pretty large creek, and I've been digging up flint/chert all week and learning to knap arrowheads. I think it would be fantastic fun to make authentic flint-headded arrows.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.