[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any comments about it on owning this radio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 24

File: baofeng.jpg (255KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
baofeng.jpg
255KB, 427x640px
Does anyone have any comments about it on owning this radio
>>
Looks like a good radio. Do you have your own frequency? What is the range on it? Do you keep spare batteries?
>>
>>620041
Hamtards swear by it, it's becoming a new standard.
>>
Get the UV-B5 or you're a fucking invalid
>>
File: part.jpg (31KB, 530x450px) Image search: [Google]
part.jpg
31KB, 530x450px
>>620041
>>620049
>>620050
there are some counterfeit radios on the market that look almost identical but do not perform as well at all
>>
>>620041
Its fun hearing the world happen in different places. Just have to know the right frequencys and have a bit luck.
I might try to track radiotracked animals with it too soon
>>
>>620041
I have a PRO-95.

thing is fucking awesome.
>>
>>620137
how fucking chineese do you have to be to make a counterfeit baofung.?

>>620041
for 35 bucks it cannot be beat. you can get the 2m and 70cm band, and some stuff in between like marine. although, technically, even if you have your ham license you are not supposed to use that radio for marine transmission.

this radio sucks on many levels. but the fact of the matter is that it can get you into the uhf/vhf door for 35 bucks and that is a good thing.
>>
>>620041

I bought the UV-5R with extended battery and nagoya NA-771 antenna. The stock antenna is shit, you need a nagoya to start.

I love it so far, I was a total beginner but learning how to program it with CHIRP was fairly easy. You will also need to buy the programming cable for about 5 dollars but it was WELL worth it. All in all I spent about 65 dollars for the radio, antenna, and cable.

I have taken it on top of mountains to scan random frequencies and repeaters, it's pretty fun to hear people talk and various random transmissions. Also functions great as an AM radio. Lot of fun to learn radio on.
>>
>>620228

Forgot to add, Could anyone please suggest where I go from here to get more into radio? Is there any way to boost the power/range of the one I have. Is there a way to construct some kind of fixed antenna high up to increase it? And if I wanted to really make an investment and spend like 100-150 whats a good handheld radio for that price? I'm still a total beginner basically, thanks for any info!
>>
File: WP_20151028_002.jpg (489KB, 1918x1080px)
WP_20151028_002.jpg
489KB, 1918x1080px
>>620230
You can buy this book at pretty much any hamfest or maybe even find a pdf of it online, it goes over how to make tons of homemade antennae.
>>
>>620041
Baofengs are fantastic for the price. But the computer cable and download CHiRP for best results. I always take one hiking and backpacking, mostly to listen to radio stations and the weather service, and also to broadcast in case my phone is dead and I'm lost/injured. The battery life on mine is incredible.
>>
File: IMG_20150823_233246945_-L.jpg (254KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150823_233246945_-L.jpg
254KB, 800x450px
>>620049
>Hamtards swear by it, it's becoming a new standard.
Standard for cheap chinese disposable radios....

>>620215
>for 35 bucks it cannot be beat. you can get the 2m and 70cm band, and some stuff in between like marine. although, technically, even if you have your ham license you are not supposed to use that radio for marine transmission.
>this radio sucks on many levels. but the fact of the matter is that it can get you into the uhf/vhf door for 35 bucks and that is a good thing.
This.
As a radio, it sucks.
For $30, it's a fantastic radio for the money.
Type-certification, etc etc... yeah. Know what you're doing with it, don't be a shitlord on-air, nobody's going to give a fuck.
The receivers are awful, usually don't TX at rated power, and they're not very durable. But it's thirty.fucking.dollars.

>>620237
>Baofengs are fantastic for the price. But the computer cable and download CHiRP for best results.
I came from the Vertex/Yaesu world... and I thought those radios had a terribad UI. The Baofengs blow them out of the water (and not in a good way). The menus are cryptic, settings are 'weird', general operation is just half-baked.
I'd love to reverse-engineer and stick a new chip with my own firmware in it... build the UI into something useable. It could be a much better radio than it is if they'd spend a few bucks to have someone design the UI better.

But yeah, CHIRP makes the process a hell of a lot simpler.

>just slammed in new firmware, codeplug, and voice files into my motorola
>>
>>620236
thank you sir, I will buy that!

>>620251

Hey kind anon, could you please reccomend me a better radio with similar design? I bought a baofeng and have loved learning on it, but would like to upgrade, thanks!
>>
File: DSC02205_-L.jpg (199KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02205_-L.jpg
199KB, 800x600px
>>620258
Go for a name-brand... Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu. Really can't go wrong with any of those.

I've had the FT60 for nearly a decade... great radio. Dropped from towers, soaked, frozen, dunked, baked... and last year it started flaking out enough that I replaced it with the Motorola. Still works, just not as well as it used to (internal speaker connection and ext.mic jack are loose).
Giga-Parts has it for $160 new right now. I bet you could find one in the $100 range used in good condition.

I know Kenwood has a similar dual-band HT (don't know model#), gotta believe Icom does too.

If you have an HRO near you, stop by there sometime and see what they have, play with a few and see which ones you like.
>>
File: gp closeup.jpg (68KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
gp closeup.jpg
68KB, 500x333px
>>620230
You'll find that with 2m/70cm (VHF/UHF) frequencies that line of sight and elevation are vital to increasing range. Driving/walking to a high point and broadcasting from there with your current setup will bring better results. My best power/distance contact was at 100 miles on 1W of power, though I had to climb 1500m above sea level to make it happen.

Another option is to build a simple 1/4 wave ground plane antenna ( http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html ) and stick it on a pole, or mount it on your roof/balcony. This is one of the simplest antennas to build and can give very consistent performance improvements. More power will help, but the cheaper option is to just get the antenna up higher. Be sure to use good quality coax.
>>
i bought one but its kind of lame unless i want to listin to the weather or local cops
>>
>>620041
What does /out/ recommend for reliable use and range of 2+ miles?

>inb4 camper walkies
>>
File: MURS.png (22KB, 563x481px) Image search: [Google]
MURS.png
22KB, 563x481px
>>620727
MURS
>>
File: MURS restrictions.png (16KB, 1147x193px)
MURS restrictions.png
16KB, 1147x193px
>>620727
>>620728
>>
>>620727
>inb4 camper walkies
>>620728
>>620730
>There are a wide variety of radio products that use MURS frequencies. MURS devices consist of wireless base station intercoms, handheld two-way radios, wireless dog training collars, wireless public address units, customer service callboxes, wireless remote switches, and wireless callboxes with or without gate opening ability.
>fancy name for camper walkies
Thanks, I guess.
>>
>>620736
>Reliable use and range 2+ miles
Yeah, you don't need anything more than 'camper walkies.' This particular type was developed so people could talk at the range you quoted without buying a license or having to pass an exam. Unless by "2+ miles" you mean "2-2,000 miles" then MURS is more than enough. GMRS requires a $90 license fee, and FRS doesn't have enough power (legally) to do what you want.
>>
File: squidgeycatpenis-L.png (146KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
squidgeycatpenis-L.png
146KB, 800x598px
>>620944
>A GMRS license will cost you (and each non-family member) $90 for 5 years
Price went down a year or two ago, iirc it's a $60/5-year license now. Might even be less than that.
Callsign/license is good for a family. You'll need that callsign if you want to use repeaters.
No exam for that test, just fill out the appropriate forms and send in your fees and the FCC issues a call.

>>620944
>HAM (amateur radio operator, technician class) is free
Most VEC's (group of volunteers administering the exams) charge ~$17 to take a test... covers administrative expenses, postage, etc.
If you pass one, they'll almost always let you take the next test as well.
If you're good, you can go from no-license to extra in one sitting for one $17 fee.
Might be able to do it for free through a university/school-sponsored VEC, but the vast majority of them are in the $15-20 range.

Commercial's a bitch of an exam, and a little over $100 plus filing fees. Coordinated pairs or trunk groups are big $$$$$.

MURS is okay for small group comms. My biggest issue with those radios are that you limit yourself to you and your group with them. Using FRS, almost everyone has them, and they're readily available for cheap at sporting goods stores. Want to go out with a different group one weekend? Coordinate a channel/tone with them and you can all use your own equipment and comm with each other.

If you do go with a baofeng/yaesu/kenwood/whatever and program in FRS/GMRS freqs, print out a "cheat-sheet" of the codes/tones. It'll save you from having to spend 10 minutes searching through the PL tone frequencies for the equivalent "7" "sub-channel". (85.4Hz PL).
>>
Bumping for the night
>>
>>620041
i have a baofeng UV-5R with a nagoya 40cm antenna and it works perfectly. bought it for 25€+6€ antenna on amazone.
the battery time is like 2 days with a regular use.
It's kinda complex to configure (like saving channels).
Buy it it's really cool
>>
>>620950
>My biggest issue with those radios are that you limit yourself to you and your group with them.
True, but the benefits of VHF vs. UHF propagation, as well as the extra (legal) power, are enough to make it more effective in variable terrain.
>>
I heard the 888 is probably the best. Avoid the UV-3R. For the money, they are impossible to beat. As a company, Baofeng actually seems okay, since they've been improving their shit and listening to customer feedback. As a beginner radio, it really can't be beat. That being said, the interface could be better, and the build quality could be nicer. The abundance of extra shit for it makes it a pretty nice choice too.
>>
>>620251
I heard that the newer revisions are much better at both rx and tx, although apparently Baofengtech has been selling some shady shit compared to that other retailer.
>>
>>621355
baoefung sells inferior shit, but i wouldn't call it shady. when the next closest radio to it costs 5x as much you really shouldn't be expecting a quality radio that is going to last you 20 years.

but my baoefung has a battery that wont quit, transmits acceptably, meets all design specs, and is easy as shit to program once you install chirp and the driver for the cable.

as a radio, it is shit. as a 35 dollar way to get into ham, it is priceless.
>>
>>621357
I'm talking about BaoFengTech, one of the companies which retails Baofengs in the US. Their baofengs are inferior in nearly every way to the ones that another retailer sells. I got a BF-F8+, and I wouldn't say that it's shit. Basic? Yes, but shit? No. It does everything I need it to do, and the only part of it I find consistently lacking is the UI, which is a non-issue since I have a programming cable.
>>
>>620041
it works good enough from what ive done with it

though the only thing i have done is pick up FM and the weather station
>>
File: IMG_20151017_202549.jpg (871KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151017_202549.jpg
871KB, 2048x1536px
>>621360
But my weather radio does that and has a built in led light, crank, solar panel and charges cell phns.
>>
>>621358
baoefungs suck. you probably just got a regular baofung that sucks. i seriously doubt that there are people out there counterfeiting baofangs since they are already the absolute cheapest option.

and see, this is how i know you are retarded. you say that baofung is ok, and they really aren't. if you have ever used a 300 dollar handheld radio you would immediately call a baofung a piece of shit. because they are.

are they worthwhile? most definitely. i have 2. you probably won't spend 35 bucks on anything better unless chicken breast goes on sale for a dollar a pound. i love my uv-5rs

but they are not good radios. my ft 857 is a good radio. the kennwood 450 is a good radio. the yaseau 60r is a good radio, and the vx-8 is a great small ht.
>>
>>621370
I have a VX-8DR, I'm just saying that so far, my baofeng hasn't had a failure of some sort. It's nowhere near as nice as my VX-8, and the stock antenna is dogshit, but I don't see much about it that's overtly shit. I have heard that the batteries are a fire hazard, but I haven't bothered to tear it apart and check yet.
>>
>>621373
I should also mention that I haven't used my baofeng all that heavily. The worst its been through is a few small falls down some rocks while hiking.
>>
>>620041
Why do those buttons look so familiar...
>>
>>620228
Where did you buy the antenna from? I know they sell fakes online
>>
>>621388
> why

Because you're being coyly passive aggressive and simultaniously non-expressive?

Does that satisfy your need for external validation and attention, Skippy?

>1/10 worth solving reCaptcha for
>>
Fuck that Chinese shit
>>
>>621391
If you're going to spent $20 on an antenna then you might try one from smileyantenna.com. These ones are resonant and impedance matched to the frequency you select and tough as hell.
>>
>>621366
But can you use it to call out on resource roads?
>>
>>621864
The point being he only rcvs with his, so... I geuss you missed that.
>>
File: clone-high-jfk.png (235KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
clone-high-jfk.png
235KB, 500x313px
>>621870
Answer the question!
>>
Radio check
>>
>>622860
Good copy.
>>
/k/ is too autistic to simply answer my question.

Assuming you have your license and shit, can you use radios to function as walkie talkies? I'm starting to go on more group camping trips, usually with some groups venturing off in different directions for day hikes, and some kind of communication would probably be a smart decision.

I ask because some anon on /k/ gave me a smart ass answer that I couldn't decipher
>>
>>623508
Yes.
>>
>>623508
Get some walkie talkies then.
>>
File: 5148919BBTL._SY300_.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
5148919BBTL._SY300_.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>623508
"Radios" and "walkie-talkies" are two ways of saying the same thing, so keep that in mind. To answer your question, the license you need for Baofeng radios would be a ham radio license. Each user of a radio needs to get their own license and then follow the ham radio rules. For the application you're describing, FRS radios that you can get at like WalMart will work perfectly for you, and nobody will need a license. Depending on terrain and elevation, FRS radios will give you a good mile or two of range.
>>
looking for very generous person to loan me $40 until next friday. started new job and have no money for gas/food until that date. will pay back via paypal. [email protected]
>>
>>623783
desu senpai baka

go panhandle for your heroin money, don't beg here.
>>
>>623783
> wtf?

I trust him! Who do I make the check out to?

Wicked Rob? Wait... you'll pay me back, right?
>>
Be careful to know which frequencies are and are not legal for you to use. its great to use to pick up local police frequencies if you are in a more urban area. Range and quality is limited but you do get what you pay for. If you need a walky talky that has a bit more kick its perfect.
>>
>>623782
I'm only worried because last /out/ing a group of sum bitches woke up early and went on a 5-8 mile hike to the other side of a nearby mountain for many hours and while they were competent sc/out/s it's still nerve wrecking when you wake up to find half your camp gone and missing for many hours
>>
Does Icom/Yaesu/Vertex/Kenwood/Motorola make a dual band portable commercial (land mobile) radio? I'm a bit sick of dealing with Wouxun/Anytone stuff but so far I haven't been able to find a replacement from a larger company. Plenty of monoband portables out there (the Icom F-1000 is very nice,) but I spend some time on UHF and it'd be nice to have one unit for both.
>>
>>624179
The FT-60 from yaesu if you want to go cheap. If you want to go expensive, I HIGHLY recommend the VX-8DR.
>>
>>624488
Thanks, but I'm looking for something that will transmit on 136-174Mhz and 400-480Mhz, not just amateur frequencies. I'm aware that amateur versions can be 'widebanded' by removing a diode, but I've also seen a few of these units blow their PA while in the field after only a few seasons of use. While I do have an amateur ticket, these would be used for commercial operations.
>>
>>624618
>used for commercial operations
Then get a commercial radio.

Only ones I know of that are multi-band are the Motorola APX and Harris Unity... both are big $$$$.
>>
>>624799
Ya, that's pretty much what I was asking about. Land mobile/commercial dual band handhelds that aren't wouxun or anytone.
>>
File: Harris Unity XG-100p.jpg (42KB, 359x883px) Image search: [Google]
Harris Unity XG-100p.jpg
42KB, 359x883px
>>624843
And you're going to be hard-pressed to find a reasonably priced dual-band commercial radio.

There's a ton of amateur radios out there that are dual-band (or more, in the mobile form factor: FT857D, FT8900) capable. My FT60 has held up for nearly a decade, and it's been a great radio.

But for commercial-grade equipment, especially equipment that does P25/DMR and has field-programmability in more than one band, get ready to fork over a few thousand $$. >Pic related
>>
>>624860
Yeah, looking at the commercial options I'll probably wind up with separate radios for different sites. Thanks for the info!
>>
File: sm1000_enc_sm.jpg (271KB, 600x465px) Image search: [Google]
sm1000_enc_sm.jpg
271KB, 600x465px
Speaking of digital voice, there's finally an open source codec in development. It already works on HF SSB and a VHF FM version with legacy analog compatibility is in the works. I'm waiting for the miniaturized version to come out for my SOTA adventures, but there's a prototype unit available at a good price and free software for SDRs.

freedv.org
>>
>>626345
just another way to not be heard.
>>
Anyway to protect the freq you're using? encryption or anything or can people just listen in
>>
>>626389
Steal a frequency hopping radio from the Army.
>>
>>626391
no radios that you can buy that do this?
>>
>>626399
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINCGARS-ARC-201C-TESTED-GOOD-WORKING-COND-FREE-SHIPPING-/201455986394?hash=item2ee7b666da:g:GRMAAOSwo0JWJSEd
Got dosh?
>>
>>626391
>frequency hopping

you mean trunking?
>>
>>626406
no, although trunking does hop freqs, it is not what is known as frequency hopping. frequency hopping is changing frequencies every few seconds. military radios do it, although it is falling out of fashion to use it. with a broadband analyzer you don't even need to know the hop cycle you can still listen clearly.

>>626399
none that i know of besides military radios. or the trunking stuff but that kind of hopping is different.

you can design a hopping program if you want. it is not illegal since freq hop is not encryption. probably some one has already done it. look around online.
>>
>>626429
I have a non military radio that hops frequencies... you set a range of frequencies to change to, at a specific interval and it changes. there are also preset hopping parameters.
>>
>>626434
Is it 900MHz?
>>
>>626365
Actually you hear better with these things, there's a noise blanker mode.
>>
>>620041
Disposable. If you want something to last get a kenwood, yaesu, etc. Even wouxuns have a fault where they will forget all of their programming and revert to defaults every time they lose power.
>>
File: gotenna.png (192KB, 581x374px) Image search: [Google]
gotenna.png
192KB, 581x374px
Just found out these existed, it's the GoTenna! A MURS radio with a bluetooth module that lets you text and share GPS coordinates without a cellular network. I am seriously liking this idea.
>>
>>628447
theres some chinese brand of radio that does uhf and vhf with the ability to send text messages to other radios of the same model like a digital radio but not the Motorola standard.
>>
>>628450
Does it do GPS location sharing? Also, name/link?
>>
I hate to be a boring cunt but what's the appeal of HAM radios? Is it learning about the technology, or what? What do you exactly do with them?
>>
>>629120

There's a social aspect too. That's like asking what do you do with the Internet.
>>
>>629122
Do you just talk to random people then?
>>
>>629125

AngryGoose this is CairnKicker come in over.
>>
>>629137
CairnKicker turn left heading 210, climb and maintain flight level 250, QNH 1013.
>>
>>629146
>not using assigned squak
>>
>>629120
Fundamentally it's about the human connection. The techy side of it can be purely optional, but it's there for those who want it. The 'random' part is less random than you'd think.
>>
>>629256
I LIKE DRIVING ROUND ON SIMPLEX.
>>
>>620041
Fucking awesome radio for dirt cheap price, performs just as well as an old ICOM that i have, shamely this one doesn't have FM band that are used in flying small planes at least.
>>
>>620041
I bought it with the intention to learn ham radio, pretty good holds a charge forever. I never learned how to use it properly =(
It also has a small flashlight
>>
>>630121
Studying for the exams is a good way to learn about ham radio.
>>
>>620041
I have a uv82l. The only thing I dont like is the battery gauge is somewhat useless. Also the chirp software is difficult to use
>>
>>629120
I usually use mine to just listen to the truckie channel for road reports and radar checks and also for kicks the local repeater. Its useful when you go out west (ausfag) because most 4x4's, caravans, parks service and truckers usually have them in case of emergency and general happenings. Of course UHF is sort of shit beyond line of site/without a repeater but its just the universal standard here.
>>
>>630522
>general happenings

Emu attacks?
>>
File: hangintimemachine.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hangintimemachine.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
This thread made me buy a UV-5R, it's on the way.
Gonna go get my HAM license.
Thanks OP.
>>
>>630550
You wont be disappointed m8. Good quality stuff for the price. But dont expect to communicate with local law enforcement directly. Theres also a tutorial on youtube showing how to program it to those cheap walkie talkies.
>>
File: teal.jpg (811KB, 2297x1397px) Image search: [Google]
teal.jpg
811KB, 2297x1397px
>>
>>629120
For me I got into it because I've always been interested in shortwave radio and radio astronomy. But I know a lot of people are in it for other reasons like contesting, low-power operation ("5 watts and a wire"), digital modes (JT65), microwave frequency stuff, homebuilt kits, providing emergency communications in the event of a disaster, etc.

And in my constant paranoia of nuclear war or whatever, I figure it'll get me assigned to a Signals unit if I ever get drafted.
>>
File: IMG_20150228_173116.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150228_173116.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>634553
Oh, and you can talk to the ISS or amateur radio satellites with a HT and a Yagi made out of a tape measure. I'm only a Tech but I've gotten a couple contacts in Japan on SO-50.

(not my photo)
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 636x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 636x440px
It is good because it is cheap, not because it is good.

VX-8R for my innawoods adventures.
>>
>>635972
I really want to pick up a VX-8 for my innawoods stuff, but I'm saving for a HF rig right now.

Having the GPS/APRS beacon stuff would be really nice since my parents always freak out about me getting lost and dying even though I don't really do anything that would place me more than a hour or two from a active trail and always leave behind detailed trip plans, always have a GPS and radio, etc.
>>
>>635972
Unless you want to operate outside of the ham bands like on MURS or GMRS. Then the Chinese radios are the way to go.
>>
>>636098
This is why things like the SPOT and the Delorme InReach exist, as fun as APRS and HF are.
>>
>>636103
The MARS/CAP mods are easy as shit on the VX-8DR. You just bust a single resistor.
>>
>>636144
You know what's easier than opening a radio's case and playing electronic surgeon? Taking it out of the boxing and being good to go.
>>
>>636153
With less features and being secure in the knowledge of your own skrubbiness.
>>
>>636156
Is the gps tumor a feature too? If you want features go with Icom.
>>
>>636159
>ugly radios
>proprietary digital mode only available on the most expensive models

where's that image of the beardy open source software guy?
>>
>>636172
As long as you're comfortable with less features and being secure in the knowledge of your own skrubbiness.
>>
This simplex repeater (it records your transmission and then plays it back 5 seconds later like a answering machine) seems like it would be a great project for if you've got a hill on your property or whatever. I'm thinking hook it up to a solar panel and then stick it up high or on a hill that blocks regular communication. The only problem I'd see would be disguising the solar panel so it's less attractive to thieves, while the radio box and antenna can be concealed easily (eg coat the box in concrete/mortar and camo the antenna and put it up a tree, or build a shed out of scrap wood burn down part of it and hide the stuff in the wreckage) but a solar panel will be pretty obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veKJbvfRbV0
>>
>>620041
I use it because it's cheap and came free in my digital signal processing class. If you've got the money, go with a Japanese one like Kenwood or Yaesu or Icom.
>>
Is anyone here familiar with CB?

I really want to install a CB radio in my truck, but I'm having trouble deciding between a 4ft firestik and a full on 102" whip. I intend to mount it somewhere on the rim of the bed.

Also, could anyone fill me in on tuning the radio? Is an SWR meter required?

Thanks guys, getting started is always the hardest part and I know nothing on radios so far. I'll probably also ask /diy/
>>
>>623887
5 star post, deserved trips
>>
File: 1426248526849.jpg (223KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1426248526849.jpg
223KB, 900x675px
>>636247
>skrubbiness

is this code for wanting good products that work out of the box?

if your shits so great, why's it broke
>>
>>638676
It is a good product and it does work out of the box. It's made to operate in 4 bands, and per FCC rules it's designed to not operate outside of them. Yeasu just put a small resistor that you can easily take out to change that. People modify radios, and you also have to remove the waterproof cover to install the bluetooth chip as well.

Honestly I don't like the look or operation of icoms HTs.
>>
>>638493
Yeah, SWR tuning is necessary. If you don't have a meter or can't borrow one you can have it done by a shop but it'll cost you some. If you have your CB installed by a shop they should do it anyway.
Find a good, basic SWR meter if you can. Used ones can be $20.
>>
>>638719
Again, you know what's easier than playing electronic surgeon? Opening the box and being good to go for out-of ham band operation.
>>
>>638846
good luck receiving anything out of 2m or 70cm or AM

Do you own anything else?
>>
>>638899
Neither radio will transmit on AM. GMRS, FRS, MURS, and the occasional taco bell drive through are all outside of 2M/70cm. I own a few Yaesus while I no longer actually have a Baofeng.
>>
>>638935
vx-8dr does tx AM, low power but it does.
>>
>>638493
I've got a firestik for driving around and it's good enough, but if I'm going into the sticks or on a long trip, I stick my full whip on.

The whip works great but it's a hassle for parking garages and drive throughs, and even some traffic lights. Mine's mounted on the back of my bed, clamped over top edge so it's already around 4 feet up at the mount..
>>
>>638951
That's less than useless since the only people using AM on VHF are airplanes on their own band.
>>
>>639088
Untrue, some use AM on 6m, and I've caught a couple on 2m. Also who gives a shit about useless, sometimes it's just fun.
You said you wanted something that works out of the box, you know the antenna it comes with is shit right?

You are no ham.
>>
>>638951
It really doesn't. The VX-8DR has an AM broadcast receiver and small internal antenna, but it doesn't transmit using amplitude modulation.
>>
>>639230
Not only am I a ham, when I took my general exam, the cw portion of the test was still given. As it turns out, you don't even know the features of your own radio. Maybe you should read your user manual.
>>
File: 123.png (49KB, 373x126px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
49KB, 373x126px
>>639760
>>639785
I guess only on 6m, still really low power though. 1 W
>>
>>639807
Like I said, less than worthless.
>>
>>639807
Got a link to go with that? Nothing I can find in any other documentation mentions this.
>>
>>639851
That looks like a screen cap right out of the user manual.
>>
>>639853
Huh, there it is on page 20, must've just skimmed right over it.
>>
>>639837
With enough elevation, anything is possible on VHF.
>>
>>639861
Yes, but with FM. That's why high altitude balloons and satellites use FM.
>>
>>639837
1W is just fine with AM (especially at night), and it's an HT I don't expect much out of it but fun at that point. I'll get on my roof with my 6m 1/2 wave with a rat tail. I do have a 5w radio that will do AM as well, but I like the qrp aspect. You may find it worthless, I find that I need to use/make a very efficient antenna. I do have an amp for it as well, but I prefer to just go without.
>>
>>640115
5W is also QRP, you're just trying to make excuses for such a useless feature.
>>
>>640281
lol i know 5w is qrp
>>
>>640281
We appreciate your opinion, and thank you for the input.
>>
>>620041
Technician-class ham operator reporting in.

For the money it is a very good radio. A little tricky to program manually, but easy with software.
I can hit a repeater and talk to my whole metro area. During foul weather I can use it to call in reports on the SkyWarn nets.

Cheap, cheap, cheap. It's cheap and the battery lasts a long time. I take it to the mountains with me because it receives the NOAA weather bands and if you have other licensed hams in your group it can be a tremendous comms tool
>>
>>620041
I have a couple I loan out to friends while /out/ing. They're not bad, but if you can afford something better you should get that.
>>
>>640285
But you didn't know 1W AM out of an HT is worthless? Sorry I doubt your competency in these matters.
>>
>>639883
And yet the air-band uses AM because it's more usable in marginal S/N conditions.
>>
>>640390
It's not worthless.
>>
>>640431
High-altitude weather balloons and satellites are much further away than an airplane on approach to land.
>>
>>640530
I would think a competent ham would be able to discuss the differences between modulation modes without resorting to anecdotal evidence.
>>
>>640530
>>640535
Here, like this:

Signal propagation is determined by frequency and band conditions, not mode. However, modes that take up less bandwidth (like AM, or CW) can be still be received legibly where modes that take up more bandwidth (like FM) will be unintelligible, such as when noise is high and the signal is weak. Conversely, high bandwidth modes will sound better/carry more data when the signal is strong and noise is low. Balloons and satellites don't use FM because it'll 'go further,' they use it because it's a high bandwidth mode and the audio will sound richer and the data will stream faster.

So when Yaesu includes a 1W AM mode for 6m it's not 'useless,' it's just less used.
>>
>>640540
Yes, the only reason to use AM or SSB is to save bandwidth. You are wrong about AM be more intelligible than FM, and you only have to listen to commercial broadcast radio to experience this.
>>
>>640571
Not quite. Two signals of the same frequency but different modulation, all other things being equal, the narrower bandwidth mode will be intelligible where the higher bandwidth mode will not. In other words, when FM drops out AM will still be readable, though the audio quality will be poorer. The same can be said with AM and SSB, and then SSB and CW. One sacrifices audio quality (bandwidth) for weak signal readability.
>>
>>640613
All hail the digital master race!
>>
File: uv-2501_uv5001.jpg (39KB, 594x235px)
uv-2501_uv5001.jpg
39KB, 594x235px
>>620041
The UV-82 is a bit more durable, but still susceptible to interference the same way the UV-5R is. Most other radio manufacturers (Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, Motorola, etc.) avoid this, though they do cost more.

Baofeng makes mobiles, too, apparently.
>>
>>620041
getting the UV-5R V2+ and the programming cable for christmas - can't fuggin wait
anyone have any suggestions for antennas, mics, and other ad-ons?
>>
>>628447

That's actually pretty cool.

That device would allow you to make a working version of the stalker PDA system
>>
>>643666
Smiley Antenna, CHIRP
>>
>>643641
In chicago, My gt-3 blocks pager systems. My Vx-8dr does not. 440 is plagued by pager in chicago.
>>
>>643738
>smiley antenna
I checked out the website - I'm going to buy the dual band telescopic antenna after christmas - thanks for that!

As for CHIRP - that's just a program, right? As long as I have the programming cable I should be able to load that.
>>
>>643739
Yeah, the wideband receive models are pretty susceptible.
>>
>>643744
yes as long as you have the cable, just software. There is a manual or look at youtube.
>>
>>643666
If you're going to use it while inside then you should look into an external antenna and some good coax. VHF/UHF signals don't go through walls very well so if you can get something outside or high up then the signal will be much better. Even a cheap mag mount from antennafarm would be an improvement.
>>
>>620041
Do you need a licence to have one of these even if you're taking it with you in case of emergency?
>>
>>620269
Where did you purchase the Motorola and how much? Did you program it yourself? What frequencies/what do you use it for?
>>
File: IMG_20151204_112251141_HDR.jpg (228KB, 676x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_112251141_HDR.jpg
228KB, 676x1200px
>>644108
>Do you need a licence to have one of these even if you're taking it with you in case of emergency?
Life-safety emergency, no... you can use whatever means necessary to get help. Not saying go for the radio first if you've got phone coverage, but if you've exhausted other options, go for it.

Having the best equipment in the world won't do you or anyone much good if you don't know how to use it. Get the license, play with it on bands you're authorized on, learn what the features do. An amateur license is cheap and lets you do a LOT.

>>644406
>Where did you purchase the Motorola and how much? Did you program it yourself? What frequencies/what do you use it for?
One of the bigger Motorola dealers in the US.
Kind of a pain, just the way Motorola is, but the radio (and software) are both terrific.
Programming software's a huge pain to obtain. Easier if you're commercially licensed and have a business.
Since Motorola bought Vertex's commercial line a few years back, I had some Vertex training... basically I had to create an account that already existed and had training certificates in it, but their site was not happy about creating an account that already existed but didn't exist. Several weeks back and forth to get all that resolved.

Yes, I do my own programming/radio management. Not too bad if you understand radio network architecture (P25/Astro, trunks, routing... DMR's a lot easier than P25). Kind of gets used everywhere - amateur, commercial, public service, GMRS...

All said-and-done, i'm about $1600 into this rig.
>>
>>644108
>"Mayday! Mayday! Lost and injured, send help!"
>"We're coming to cite/arrest you for breaking FCC laws!"
>"Fine, just please for the love of fuck get me outta here!"
i think it's worth the trouble if it's a true emergency - it's half the reason I'm getting one.
>>
File: 1448106877764.jpg (32KB, 500x500px)
1448106877764.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>644636
Chuckled
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.