[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fur Trapping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 20

File: 20151027_144400-1.jpg (3MB, 2495x2004px) Image search: [Google]
20151027_144400-1.jpg
3MB, 2495x2004px
Does any other sc/out/ harvest animals for fur? Pic related, weekend catch roadlining.
>>
>>619800
>meanwhile the prada seamstress tries to remove the tire marks

jesus fuck bro who are you selling run over rat fur to?
>>
>>619815
Those aren't rats, they're ferrets
>>
>>619820
There are no ferets anywhere in this picture.
>>
>>619831
Look kid, I think I know a ferret when I see one. I've been in the service for 19 years
>>
As an avid hunter, i gotta say, this is overkill
>>
>>619834
You must not know much about furbearers then.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>619800
By road lining do you mean trap close to roads so you cover lots o ground?

I started a few years ago. I don't run that long of a line. We don't have musk rats here.
>>
I was thinking about trapping, OP. Not sure how to do it, though. Is it as simple as it seems? How do you do it?

>>619832
Those look like minks, actually.

>>619831
Still not a rat, though.
>>
File: 20151025_164907.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151025_164907.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>619984
Yes, I trap the creeks and rivers that run under the roads to try and catch mink. I prefer trapping beaver, muskrats and bobcat but it's still a blast! Nice 'yote btw!

>>620018
It is really easy once you get it down. It's just like anything else, hard at first but it becomes second nature. Some people have a real knack for it though and do well from the beginning. Where are you from? A lot of states now require a trapping education course to get a license. It is usually free and well worth the time since it gives so much helpful info on the subject.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.645825684_7vpq.jpg (466KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.645825684_7vpq.jpg
466KB, 1500x1125px
>>619800
semi-related question,
>how effective are homemade fur gaiters?
like surprisingly there's a taxidermy section on ebay and you could probably pick up enough material for cheap to make a set. But like is fur/hide water proof? how good of a insulator is it?(for warmth factor) and breathibility vs like gortex which doesn't breath one bit but will stay pretty dry aside from your own sweat.

also, they look hella siq
>>
>>619832

This is why I hare mil rats. The length of time you were in the service has fucking nothing to do with identifying ferrets, and like a typical mil rat, you are stupid enough to fuck up while claiming to be right.

From what I can see (the picture is to small to make them out clearly on my phone) you have mink rats beavers and coon, none of those are ferrets.
>>
>>620454
I assumed he was making a joke.
>>
There are beaver, mink, and a raccoon in OP's photo. Do you people even /out/?

And no I don't trap fur because prices are shit, and half the time no one is buying whatever you catch. Russia will go on a beaver buying frenzy one year, then the next you can't give beaver pelts away. Shit sucks, my brother put himself through college in the 80s by trapping, when a red fox would bring $75 stretched.
>>
>>620526
Oh yeah and some muskrats.

If I could get $7 for a muskrat on the round, like 10 years ago, I'd be out after them.
>>
For those who trap fur, how do you tan? Do you just brain tan or are there any chemicals that work better than others?

I've got a rabbit problem on my ranch and want to get a number of rabbit pelts to use for whatever but I want to tan them myself.

Is there one method that works better for small pelts than for big ones?
>>
>>620542
Brain tanning is actually a pretty poor way to do it, it doesn't last all that long especially for hides with hair on them. For a hairless hide that will be exposed to other oils, like something you wear, it is all right.

For a wall hanging hide I have used the Trapper's tanning formula that comes in the bright orange bottle with good success. Follow the instructions and salt the hide heavily, and get all the fat and meat off.

For something I might want to sew, like a hat or glove liner, I prefer Lutan-F. It just resists wear better and won't wash out. It also leaves the skin softer I think, so it need less breaking to be flexible.
>>
>>620524

Well color me autistic, carry on.
>>
Is that a river otter I see, OP? And a mink or marten? Well, some sort of mustelid.

Can we get a list of what animals those are? I know some are obvious but still. Interesting.
>>
>>620638
Top 6 are mink, then muskrats and the bottom animals are beaver and a raccoon.
>>
>>620527
This year you'd be lucky to get $3 on put up rats, at least at a country buyer that is.
>>
>>620746
What kind of prices are they going for? I trapped a lot back in the 80's but it got to a point where it wasn't worth the gas money and time to do it. Are they bouncing back?
>>
>>620765
2+ years ago it was worth it, 3 years ago people were making fucking bank off it. Some people were netting 60,000+ in a season. Now you're lucky to break even. Muskrats are 3 bucks, mink will max at 10, can't give 'coon away. Hopefully prices will eventually turn back to where it can be at least somewhat profitable.
>>
That's really nice OP. Sadly, we only have hutias and mongooses in my country, and the rabies aren't worth it.
>>
In what form do you sell the hides? Do you have to tan them, do people by the whole carcass? How does that work?
>>
>>620918
You can sell them unskun, it's also known as "whole" or "in the round." If you sell them in the round you either sell the animal the day it's caught or you freeze it whole and sell at a later date. Another way to sell them is skinned and frozen. and the last way is stretched. A stretched hide is one that skinned and then the fat and unwanted muscle tissue is removed from the skin and then the skin is put on a form known as a stretcher. Stretchers are either made from wood or wire. Fur stretched on wood usually brings a higher price. The stretcher keeps the skin stretched and in a uniform shape while it dries.

>>620871
Would you happen to know of any good sources about harvesting mongoose and hutias?
>>
>>620358
Those look comfy. If I could make a pair of those, I think it would curb my faggy desire to wear Uggs.
>>
>>619834
>taking furs
>feeding my family
>overkill
Please stop existing
>>
File: fig08-27.gif (11KB, 350x181px) Image search: [Google]
fig08-27.gif
11KB, 350x181px
blumpkin
>>
File: PIC11.jpg (57KB, 672x586px) Image search: [Google]
PIC11.jpg
57KB, 672x586px
>>
File: skinning.gif (51KB, 488x603px) Image search: [Google]
skinning.gif
51KB, 488x603px
>>
File: skinning-a-rabbit.jpg (19KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
skinning-a-rabbit.jpg
19KB, 230x300px
>>
>>619800
I did as a kid. In 1980, the take in your pic would have been worth ~$900 - $1,000. I'm guessing it is not worth nearly that now?
>>
>>619800
That's a bit much, don't you think, OP?
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>620542
I use Mckenzie ultimate acid along with salt and water to pickle them for a few days. I'll check the pH a few times a day and adjust for spikes accordingly. After that I neutralize in baking soda and water. For wall hangers I'll just put them on a stretcher and dry completely. If I want to apply a tanning solution I can after they get partially dry. I only bother with the tanning if I want them pliable. Technically I'm not tanning the way hangers, jut preserving.
>>
>>623037
Not if he's doing it for dosh, anon.
>>
What is the legality behind trapping and fur sales? I thought Beavers were endangered and protected. Is it legal to sell beaver fur? Also where are you from?
>>
holy shit bro where do you trap?
>>
>>619800
I really want to get into trapping, but I don't really know what I'm doing.
>>
>>623395
They are not endangered anywhere.
>>
>>623395
Perfectly legal and governed bro
>>
>>621595
>eating beaver
>eating mink
>eating rodents
Please go back to the 16th century
>>
>>620454
Ha, I assumed YOU were making a joke.
>>
>>620358
>like
>like
>like
I didn't know we had 15 year old girls on /out/
>>
>>623427
You're a hunter but you're a faggot about eating unusual meats?
>>
>>623435
I dont go lower than rabbit honestly
>>
>>623395
Kill yourself
>>
What hoops do you need to go through to trap legally? I'd imagine you need a license? Also, what kind of traps are most commonly used and what happens if you catch something you're not supposed to by accident?
>>
File: de_hunt_card.jpg (25KB, 360x227px) Image search: [Google]
de_hunt_card.jpg
25KB, 360x227px
>>623582
>What hoops do you need to go through to trap legally?

In person it was only a two day teaching course from where I'm from. you can also do it on-line, anon.
https://www.hunter-ed.com
You can use any commercial trap you can find, as well as snares.
>what happens if you catch something you're not supposed to by accident?
No idea, it's never happened to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Each states laws are going to vary. Go to your states wildlife office website and check out the regs. Make sure you learn: types of traps that can be used, when are season dates, species that can be taken, and also where you can set.

Most common traps gonna be a foothold. They come in different sizes from 1-9 (9being the largest). A #1.5 is a good all around trap to get someone started.

You can release non targets using a catch pole with ease.
>>
>>623654
>delaware
hey!! what part of DE are you in? I lived there for 31 years.
>>
>>623710
It was just an image that I grabbed, sorry. I lived most of my life in PA.
>>
>>623013
Now, if I'm lucky, the fur from the pic will bring $150
>>623395
100% legal where I am from, I am in Minnesota. Since the late 1990s over 1,000,000 beaver have been harvested in Minnesota.
>>623416
Minnesota, I want to trap in many other states though. But many I want to trap do not allow Minnesotans to trap their since our state is autistic and doesn't allow non-residents to trap here.

>>623427
Beaver is finer cuisine than deer IMO. I plan on switching all the beef I consume to beaver meat instead. As far as mink, I don't believe anybody eats them.

>>623582
Many states require a trapping education course and it is very much worth your time. It can teach you a crap ton about trapping. You can buy traps from fntpost or Minnesota Trapline Products. If you catch something you aren't supposed to you either release it, turn it over to the DNR, or you SSS.
>>
File: 1413708835945.png (10KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1413708835945.png
10KB, 500x500px
>>623689
>>
>>623427
Kill yourself
>>
File: img_3800.jpg (1011KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
img_3800.jpg
1011KB, 2592x1936px
bump
>>
Are there any animals you refuse to kill on ethical grounds?
>>
>>624993
Honeybadger
>>
>>624993
Actual endangered animals and pets. Wild cats and dogs are not pets. I don't ever kill wild cats or wild dogs because I have no reason to. If I had a reason to I likely wood. That reason could be it is being a nuisance or maybe I am desperate for food. I'm not a fan of killing things out of season unless there is a reason to do so.
>>
>>624957
> 2015
> using a standard fleshing knife
Pick one.
>>
>>625075
I'll go with using a standard fleshing knife
>>
>>623424
They are endangered in my country, and listed as so. People are still allowed to hunt them though, but this counts for a lot of endangered species here.
>>
>>623427
Beaver is some of the best meat you can eat. This is not news. The reason people don't eat a lot of beaver is because it is impossible to farm the bastards. As hunters we can enjoy this delicacy while supermarkedfags have to go without. This is a privilege.
>>
>>625073
I have unintentionally killed pet dogs. The family wanted dog meat for a celebration, so we caught a street dog for this. Turned out it was someones dog from another neighbourhood, and they were heartbroken. Then again, our own dog have been kidnapped twice and poisoned once because other people have done the same, so there is some sort of karma here.
>>
>>625123
.... what
>>
>>619800
Oh, nice marmot.
>>
>>625123
>wanted dog meat for a celebration
Muh momma, is mah siatah!
>>
>>625448
Well done, anon. You have almost learned to speak. Keep at it. Someday you will be a real boy.
>>
>>619800
What's the best way to stitch together pelts that you've tanned? (skins with the fur on one side)
>>
>>625611
I've never tanned a pelt so I can not be of any help to you on the subject. From what I understand people usually use a sewing machine. So I'd guess a needle and thread could work. I have a buddy that works at a tannery so I'll ask him and get back to you on it.
>>
>>625706
pelts will destroy a normal sewing machine. you will need an industrial strenght one if you do.
get a leather hole puncher or a proper machine.
>>
>>625123
>my post
This is the second time I have postet real stuff which have been interpreted as bait.

Asian context, eating dog happens.
This happened in a Christian neighbourhood in Indonesia. The dish is quite well know: RW or rica-rica.

Do anyone know how to preserve fur and skins in tropical climates? In my experience everything goes rancid very quickly and even if you can get a proper finished product it will go moldy before you can blink. I know people have managed this in southern mexico, but don't know the technique.
>>
>>623654
>>623968
Are there laws on where you are allowed to trap? I'm currently living outside the US but looking to move back in the near future. Obviously trapping intercity makes no sense, but is trapping allowed/possible in suburbs, or do you really need to be in a rural are to trap effectively?

Ideally I just want to catch rabbits or other animals that would taste good stewed. Suburban areas seem like a good balance between being able to get /out/ and finding a job with decent pay. Am I just dreaming about being able to come home from my desk job to a couple of snared rabbits or what?
>>
>>625714
I'm pretty sure if you set out rabbit snares in slightly hidden spots you'd be fine.
>>
>>625713
use more salt
>>
File: 20151106_121235.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151106_121235.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Caught a muskrat in town.
>>
>>621033
>unskun
Wow.
>>
>>627171
gross
>>
guys pls dont trap in the burbs. i caught a house cat once. it ended badly.
>>
>>625116
Well, I'm sold. Time to get a licence.

On a side note, are there any general rules about invasive species? Every time I've been /out/, I've seen nutria and thought it would make a decent meal, especially when fish were scarce, but WA hunting/trapping laws are very vague and seem to indicate that you need a license to hunt invasives, while also saying that if you catch one by accident you can get fined for releasing it.
>>
File: IMAG0002.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0002.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Guys guys guys! I just caught a fox!

How to best preserve the pelt? Do i open the tail too, or do I preserve it differently from the rest of the hide? Not a lot of experience with this so pls help.
>>
File: fudu.jpg (2MB, 2028x1521px) Image search: [Google]
fudu.jpg
2MB, 2028x1521px
>>627797
geta PLAN!,
, first, use Aircompressor to inflate skin thru tiny hole,, Blowfish TIME!
,,chin to tail slice,, very shallow.
, getting that first flap of skin nailed to a board or tree is key for me., i used a 4x4 chunk of plywood, nailm on flat then drop to vertical and they just wanto roll outof theyr skin, razor just eases them out and esay to finish defatting.
,,,,shape them while fresh before they stiffen up,, id make cat scratching posts, wall art,,helmet cover, vehicle jewlery.
, how to makeit super soft ?
>>
Air skinning is a meme. Don't air skin, it's a waste of time.
>>
File: IMAG0008.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0008.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>627852
That makes sense.

Skinned my fox with a knife, managed to get it off in one piece, not the head though.
Named her Sophie. Thick and healthy fur on her, and no damage or disease on organs.
I've heard Brain tanning doesn't last that long. Is there any household chemicals that work or do I need to get specialized stuff?. Saving the brain just in case. I have salted the pelt and put it aside, and saved the meat for later.
Any recommendations on this stage? Should I freeze the meat in case trichinella?
>>
>>623431
from so cal, srry
>>
>>619800
nice minks. is that an otter on the second row from the top far right?

I shoot squirrels for pelts. I've figured out how to tan the hides using a simple but effective porcess but I need to learn how to more efficiently skin them. I want to do a mount but i have no idea how to get the feet and tail correctly skinned
>>
>>623104
how are you cleaning those skulls?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>627999
Removed as much meat as I could and separated the jaw from the skull. I boiled them in water with a little soap. After a little while I removed the teeth then removed more flesh. Make sure you clear out the nasal cavity. I used a pair of forceps to reach in there. Repeat until clean. I soaked them in hydrogen peroxide for like an hour then let them dry. I then superglued the teeth back in place and also the jaws. For some reason all of my jaw bones broke right in the middle of the two front teeth. That's all I did. If you are wanting them to stay really white hit them with a coat of clear coat spray paint. Mine have yellowed somewhat but I kinda like that look. I think I'm gonna do a few this season coated with glow in the dark paint.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>627968
>>627968
Just do the salt and alum method. You can get it at most grocery stores. Couple of YouTube videos cover it. You are gonna need to flesh it before and yea you split the tail.

>trichinella
You plan on eating it?

You should have tried to skin the head. It's good practice because that's the hardest part to learn.
>>
File: u8clV0r[1].jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
u8clV0r[1].jpg
40KB, 400x400px
> damaging the local ecosystem for no good reason
>>
>>627999

You can get a colony of carrion beetles to do it too.
>>
>>628269
Thanks. I'll try that.

Yeah, planning on eating the meat. Friday dinner. You got any advice?

Still have the head so I'll try to skin it. Not attached to the main pelt anymore but still good. Just big enough to be turned into a small puch when tanned.
>>
>>628275
I would remove scent glands located within the legs. Not sure where they are on foxes. I've only caught grays and they were a very strong smelling flesh. Let me know how you cook it along with how it taste.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.