[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pls help me choose between these two knives I know they have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: esee 6 vs fallkniven a1.jpg (769KB, 839x1319px) Image search: [Google]
esee 6 vs fallkniven a1.jpg
769KB, 839x1319px
Pls help me choose between these two knives

I know they have slightly different applications but either would be useful to me.

I already have a mora bushcraft knife and wetterlings bushman axe

Also a thread about the best high end but not crazy money large fixed blade knives would be good.
>>
>>616014
>I already have a mora bushcraft knife and wetterlings bushman axe
what a gullible little gear queen you are.
>>
>>616023
eh, they've both seen a lot of use and work incredibly well together. I want to upgrade the knife for times when I don't want the weight of the axe, packing one big knife instead of a small one + axe.

It's a massively gearfaggy thread, but for practical reasons
>>
File: large_14698_Fallkniven-S1-03.jpg (286KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
large_14698_Fallkniven-S1-03.jpg
286KB, 1000x666px
Guess this would be a good place to ask.

I'm looking for a knife to accompany my GB Wildlife Hatchet.

I absolutely love the blade design on the Fallkniven S1, however the handle is a little unappealing to me.

Does anyone have the S1, thoughts?

Are there any other knives with a really similar blade design, but a nicer handle? I'd prefer a wooden handle and full tang is a requirement.
>>
>>616014
OP, thats an S1, not an A1 in your image.
>>
That bottom knife is sexy and it looks like it can be actually sharpened with stones. If a knife has that black steel it's probably junk. I'm sure some good ones exist but I've never seen one.
>>
>>616049
Whoops, never mind.
>>
>>616050
ESEE blades are coated because they are carbon steel, so the coating is to help prevent corrosion.

ESEE is generally considered to be pretty high quality.
>>
>>616050
>if a knife has that black steel
>black steel
Have you heard about coating to prevent rust? The Esee has 1095 carbon steel which is not excellent but is a good overall steel for fixed blades. The problems is that it can rust easly if not take care of, so manufacturers choose to coat the blades to give it more protection.
>>
Buck 119
>>
I bought an ESEE 3 five years ago, best knife I have ever owned, Solid, holds an edge, perfect shape and it's ridiculously tough.

ESEEs have wide blades however, if you get an ESEE-6 be prepared to have a miniature machete. I would reccomend a smaller one plus a good axe, like a gransfors.

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/
>>
>>616105
yeah, my mora/wetterlings combo is working really nicely.

i'm looking to invest in a larger blade to take on trips where space and weight is at more of a premium, or to take on day hikes, leaving the axe at base
>>
>>616014

Get the izula + gränsfors new /out/door axe.
>>
File: RAT2.jpg (105KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
RAT2.jpg
105KB, 533x800px
>>616163

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-outdoor-axe/
>>
>>616014

It is really a no brained.

The answer is very straightforward and absolutely one sided.

Fallkniven A1 all the way. It is vastly superior to the ESEE 6. Vastly.

Geometry, steel, heft, durability and capability.

I have both and 53 more in the collection. My go to knife is the A1.
>>
File: esee-6.jpg (150KB, 599x367px) Image search: [Google]
esee-6.jpg
150KB, 599x367px
>>616014
I have compared both side to side, I use an Esee 6 and my friend used to use a Fallkniven A1 so I take it out some times for kicks. It may come down to money for you being the A1 is $100 more expensive.

The blade on the A1 is thicker yet I've always preferred the thinner Esee 6 blade instead. The finger groove on the Esee 6 is also awesome for choking up on the blade when detail work is required.

For the handles I really liked the rubbery A1 grip but the micarta on the Esee 6 has never bothered me. I do prefer the curved handle of the Esee 6 to the more straight A1, very comfortable and helps especially to lower the grip on the handle for chopping tasks.

The only complaint I have from the Esee is the sheath that it came with, don't expect that thing to hold up with abuse.
>>
>>616014
i have only heard bad things about fallkniven lately
>>
I heard the ESEE knives are good quality, but way too overpriced... anyone have confirmation on this? It was in a random /out/ thread, but they said you could get a better knife for the same cost.
>>
>>616214
I can't say I agree, I think most of their knives are fairly priced and are quality, not to forget about their lifetime warranty either.
>>
>>616210
Such as? Genuinely curious
>>
>>616210

I've never heard a single one, save for the price.

Only about their new folders, and not for the blade, but for the mechanism construction
>>
>>616214

They are because they hype their product, first, with their "muh extreme survival tool" and second, because the steel they use is pretty normie and mediocre compared to what you can get for that price.

Also their warranty is a lure. You'd always buy something that has a no questions asked lifetime warranty over something that doesnt, even though you may never need to use the warranty on any of them. This is reinforced by the fact that when someone asks, most anons answer "go with ESEE, can't beat that warranty".

ESEE is the mix of Ontario and TOPS, and TOPS is surprisingly similar, but it has more models.

I'm a fallkniven fag but I'd consider TOPS instead of ESEE if I wanted something XTREME made in 1095steel, although TOPS are overpriced too.
>>
this thread is making me swing to buying both, but Fallkniven first

>>>/k/27658088
>>
>>616228
Thanks for the explanation man, I appreciate it. The warranty seems nice, but if it's the difference between me affording a better knife, or a nice warranty, i'll take the better knife any day. I've just started looking up "the best knife steel" to see comparisons. I'm not getting an expensive knife any time soon... looking at getting a peasant knife kit from Svord though so I can customize it myself =].
>>
File: 00297877.jpg (240KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
00297877.jpg
240KB, 640x480px
>>616014
>Pls help me choose between these two knives
moora
>>
>>616240

laminated vg10 is some of the best shit out there right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqM7j4CJGMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKwQzH4CRlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULKEpv51dCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULKEpv51dCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIL_UM1BWt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKtLBtt5PZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UezufRHiGiY

I'm not saying you'll ever do or need to do that, but an ESEE or any other 1095 knife can't possibly handle that.
>>
>>616014
Anon why not take a look at Survive knives? Better steel, good design and general quality
>>
>>616267

A bit of a circlejerk brand, becoming as obnoxious as Busse.

Also I'm not convinced a Survive would outperform the Fallkniven A1 as a general survival knife.
>>
>>616269
>A bit of a circlejerk brand, becoming as obnoxious as Busse
That means nothing, doesn't make a product which is obviously very good.
>>
>>616257
That blade is a beast lol. The only thing that scares me about that knife is the handle though. I don't do batoning or anything while backbacking...tbh the most I use a knife for is whittling or cutting up salami lol. All in all that knife seems very solid though, and handled batoning a 2x4 very well.
>>
>>616272

The handle is magical. I didnt understand why it was straight and square on the back, but then I carved wood for three hours straight and I can assure you with long use it is more comfortable than others, for some reason.

The knife is shit for cooking though. My favourite for light use and food is the Spyderco Perrin, original uncoated, also vg10.
>>
>>616271

Yeah but for example I understand how brands like Busse, Fallkniven or Mission are expensive because I see the better performance.

Or how Cold Steel and Ontario are very well regarded for the great bang for the buck.

I dont see that on Survive.
>>
File: faka1pro.jpg (32KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
faka1pro.jpg
32KB, 800x800px
>>616014

>Not wanting the pro model

Its like you're not a pro tbh.

Do you even pro, bro?
>>
>>616294

Never heard of it. Why is it so pro, bros?
>>
>>616295

New knife, isnt released yet.

Tbqh I dont understand its nature. Its a thicker (the original A1 is 6mm, which is already thick as fuck), heavier version of the same knife in some other super steel.

They're doing it also with the F1 and the S1.

I dont see the point at all.
>>
>>616298
>some other super steel
which is?
>>
>>616298

Thanks.
>>
>>616300

Jeez I dont remember, look it up yourself, its on their website.

One of those superawesome supersharp steels they use on their folders.
>>
File: transferir.jpg (8KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
transferir.jpg
8KB, 227x222px
>>616304
I did, thanks anyway.

>The laminated VG10 steel is replaced with a laminate cobalt steel (lam. CoS) which, amongst other things, ensures a durable edge and improved edge retention.
I must admit that's first time I'm reading or hearing about such steel, means literally nothing to me.
>>
>>616300
>Survive knives
>>616298
>>616295
>>616294
http://www.heinnie.com/fallkniven-a1-pro
>>
Bottom knife due to handle design.
>>
>>616309

>There are survival knives, and there are survival knives for professional survival

Jesus can you be more full of shit? who writes that? I understand they have to market this otherwise redundant knife somewhow but wow
>>
>>616308
Ah yes. The type of steel often gets overlooked in knife selection.

VG10 is good stuff. So is S30V. Both will hold an edge much longer than the much more common 420HC.

The downside is they will take longer to sharpen.
>>
File: 2015-08-26 05.41.46.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-26 05.41.46.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>616014

I went with esee just due to the warranty alone. No matter how it breaks...be it on purpose or not, they replace it. I broke my izula 2 using it as a mini pry bar. Only thing esee cared about is where I got the knife.

My esee 6.
>>
>>616105
>reccomends gransfors unironically

an estwing or fiskars will last equally as lon as, and will do EXACTLY the same thing for way way less than a gransfors.
>>
>>616192
>vastly
>collection

so what you're saying is you buy shit you think is nice and never ever use it in real life because you want to keep it pristine

because there aint much real world difference in those knives
>>
>>616699
Theyre not as pretty though

In all srsness though estwing are argueably better than gb if weight isnt an issue since they have a metal shaft
>>
>>616734
thats a con actually.
>>
>>616699
nah dude educate yourself
a fiskars is cheap and splits splendid but it's garbage for heavy use need constant sharpening cause soft steel
>>
>>616082
My favorite knife, it just feels so good in the hand
>>
File: hell yeah.jpg (132KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hell yeah.jpg
132KB, 1440x1080px
The Fallkniven.

Got an A1-blade is thick. Makes kitchen knives look bad.
>>
>>616944
Whats a con?
>>
>>616944
Metal shaft isnt a con to me, it means itll never break

It has a soft grip to reduce the vibrations if thats what you mean. But even if it didnt itd be worth it to not have to worry about replacing any handles while /out/
>>
>>616163
I was looking at the outdoors axe, seems too small to be of much use besides just taking off small tree limbs.

This is just going off YouTube videos, I have yet to actually hold/see the axe.
>>
>>616014
They are both overpriced and kind of shitty as knives because they are made for the military instead of /out/doorsmen
>>
>>621045

A1 is pretty fucking /out/ tbqh
>>
>>616272
You can replace the handle on it. It's a full tang, after all. A good image search will demonstrate some of the beautiful A1's in the world people have made by replacing the handle.
>>
>>617287
if you're using it that much you really shouldnt be using a hatchet then.
hatchets are temporary tools for when you cant carry something better or bigger

also most sharp objects require sharpening to stay effective, including gransfors.
>>
>>617287
also, educate my nuts about your tongue
>>
>>621126
yeah but fiskars needs a hell of a lot more sharpenings

still i bought one cause i don't intend to use it a lot and it's cheap. but i wouldn't have if i went to an expedition or prolonged outings and not jut carrying it in case on daytrips.
>>
>>621126
>if you're using it that much
it really doesn't take much watch some youtube reviews all reviewers will tell you even after a few chopping the edge will be gone it's easy to sharpen but loses it super fast.
>>
File: 7930334986_fdc3ff45c3.jpg (76KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
7930334986_fdc3ff45c3.jpg
76KB, 500x332px
>>616272
This >>621073
Nigger, change the handle to your personal taste and have a 10/10 knife
>>
File: fällkniven.jpg (501KB, 1227x924px) Image search: [Google]
fällkniven.jpg
501KB, 1227x924px
>>621219
It's full tang but not like in the picture unless you actually buy only the blade which they don't sell anymore.
>>
File: 33532a.jpg (36KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
33532a.jpg
36KB, 650x650px
>>616014
Not as pretty as a Fällkniven, but great quality and quite cheap: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-140-w-leather-sheath/33532

There is also a shorter version with 110 mm blade length.
>>
>>621211
update on this statement made based on youtube reviews...
i used mine for like an hour and not even the paint came off edge still looks factory issue.
so yeah maybe i need to test this stuff some more. maybe all youtubers are retarded or something.
>>
>>619261
Different person than who replied originally. I thought the same thing when I first saw estwing hatchets. The problem is that if you damage the handle you have to replace the entire axe. That's the upside to literally any other brand out there at all. The handle gets damaged or breaks and you can replace it for $6-$15 because handles are hard to find. You damage an estwing and you're out easily another $30 to get a new one. However likely that may be is up for debate. Same reason I never bought fiskars.
>>
>>622134
Aren't hard to find*
Forgive my error.
>>
>>621726
I've wanted one of those just to say I have one but I can't find it in the US.
>>
>>622138
That's propably because its made and sold in FInland. Have you tried to order one from their store?
>>
>>616257

I'm not saying you'll ever do or need to do that, but an ESEE or any other 1095 knife can't possibly handle that.

1095 is much tougher than VG10. An A1 made from 1095 would fair better during that test.
>>
>>622710

But it aint tougher than laminated vg10.

Some 1095 knives that guy has tested have not taken that much abuse. Only Busses and Glocks have taken as much
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.