[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Packs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 24

File: 290_692_xl.jpg (96KB, 450x596px) Image search: [Google]
290_692_xl.jpg
96KB, 450x596px
Ok /out/
I've been going hiking a lot since early this spring. The most I've done is a few long day trips and a bunch of shorter ones. These are great, but I really want to start doing overnight trips.

What are good bags for 1-2 night trips? I've read that 35-50L bags are good for that purpose.

Also general pack and bag thread I guess.
>>
>>615879

It depends on your gear. A 35L will be useless if you have a huge synthetic sleeping bag and an 8 pound tent.
>>
>>615884

OP pic is the bag I have been leaning toward. Osprey Kestrel 48, it's currently $175. Not really experienced with packs, but it seems like a pretty good price /quality.

Are there any other notable bags of that size for around the same price?
>>
>>615897

I have a S/M Kestrel 48 and love it. You can get the dark grey one for $155 on Amazon right now. It's light and you really can't go wrong with Osprey since you're basically buying it for life.
>>
I got the new 65L atmos about a year ago. Osprey always has their amazing warranty, and stellar quality. I would lean towards 50L over 35 though, because as you gain more experience backpacking, you'll want to spend even more time out. Those 2 night trips may soon turn into week long trips, and if you get into cold weather hiking you'll appreciate the extr space for warming layers. Kelty makes a solid 50L pack as well, and is much cheaper. Could also be used for an every day back pack.
>>
I've been looking at pic related. I haven't gotten to the store to try one out yet. Anyone know how well it takes weight? It seems like something between a real frame and frameless, so I don't know what to expect from it.
>>
>>615897
>>615879
buy the bag last, after you have purchased the rest of your kit. it's only then that you know how much space and weight carrying capacity you need.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Many stores will let you bring in all your gear and try out different packs. You can always go home and order one offline for cheaper afterwards.
>>
>>615926
Valid point.

How good is the warranty and quality of Kelty bags compared to Osprey?
>>
>>615879
I have this one - Fieldline Pro Series. Cheap, no real frame, but it does the trick.
>>
If you're going to spend 150/200$ in a bag, you should buy a 60/70l that just in case you want to spend more than 1 night outside.

I really often do 4-5 days trip outside and my 65l bag is really good. It uses the MOLE system so you can still add some pouches to it.
>>
The Keltys are really good quality for the price, and their warranty is pretty good too. Most major back pack producers are going to have good customer service and product care plans. I know for a fact they'll replace buckles and straps that wear out free of charge.
>>
File: 1676a.jpg (267KB, 900x634px) Image search: [Google]
1676a.jpg
267KB, 900x634px
>>615879
I've just ordered a Swedish Army LK35 rucksack.

It's the same bag MCQ Bushcraft has been using more recently.

Looks good but needs modding to be great, and we'll have to see whether the external frame is comfortable or not.

In terms of size and after modding, I'm hoping it'll be perfect, but if not... It was very cheap. Plus they look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVEsNSJQC8&ab_channel=MCQBushcraft
>>
>>615879
No reason to go for a $200 bag if you wanna save some money.

Get a big bag. I'd say 60L minimum. Especially if you have beginner sleeping gear. If you get external frame you can get less of course. And not filling the bag up completely is much better than not having enough space or having to back too tight.
>>
>>616016
>In terms of size
Well, it's very small, with almost no frame exposed on the back. I never understood this pack honestly, such a small bag on a external frame, with no waist strap to take the load makes no sense.

Assuming you will add a belt to it.

It's a fitting size for ultralite, probably ok for conventional but a shame you can't attach things to the frame directly. I would have gotten the lk70.
>>
File: 1445521003668.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1445521003668.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>616016
>looks great
Subjective
>comfortable or not
Its milsurp so probably not. Also where is the hip belt? Any kind of weight in that thing is going to be miserable
>needs some modding
Add some kind of hip belt.
Also why buy something you have to modify extensively to even use just to save a few bucks. Why not spend a little extra to get a good comfortable bag that ready to go.
My wife's high sierra hawk 40 was $49.99 on woot. She loves it.
Just for reference the high sierra is green. Orange/grey bag is my Osprey Exos 58.
>>
>>616034
>Its milsurp so probably not.
It's not because it's milsurp (Lk70 is comfy), it's because it's old and not really designed for camping-ish activities, it's designed for grunts with support, or carrying radios. when he adds a good belt to it it will probably be pretty comfy though.

>My wife's high sierra hawk 40 was $49.99 on woot
Ok, it's $100+ regular price. Plus attachments and mod-ability(Although less needed) seem much worse.
>>
>>616034
Not the same guy you're talking with but I prefer the look at durability of my lk35 over those. You don't NEED extensive modification to use it either. But the options are there to do so if need be. No two people are alike and mods on each persons pack will show that.
>>
>>616016
Ayyy lmao, my time to shine!

I own 3, modded one and love it. Added removable side pouches, better shoulder straps, and a thick hip belt. Weights 6.5 lbs total. Worth putting some time into. Great bag overall. Still need to get a trashcan for the inside for rigidity and interior mounting points, might even make a nice cutting board!

Do the following:
>spraypaint the frame with rustolium, whatever color just a good few coats
>Ditch the straps, get some thick milspec ones or do what I did and thift/ebay a old hiking bag and steal the straps/belt off it
>stitch on 2" webbing on the side with a sewing awl

Pouches not in pic, will post new ones soon
>>616033
>"very small"
35 liters is small but the external mounting points add a whole lot more room. I can stow a tent on the bottom, poles along the front, med kit and other items on the side pouches I added, sleep system on top, and slip items in the back or between the pouches. Probably around an additional 15 liters of space to work with (est)
>"can't attach things to the frame directly"
See above, I can also hang pots and ditty bags from the top mounting rods
>lk70
I wish, can't find any stateside :^(
>>616034
It's more durable than the bags you posted, putting maybe 10 bucks into a $20 bag isn't much at all, more of an investment if you think about it. I will agree I'd almost rather have a nice osprey bag but for the price of the LK you can't go wrong. Also it's superior for bushcraft if you're into that.
>>
>>615879
Personally I'm not a fan of Osprey's mid-size packs. I don't think the frame/suspension or hip-belts are as robust as they should be for the pack size.

I do own a large Osprey (75L) and a tiny one (11L) and I love both of them.

Personally for mid-size packs my best experience so far is with the Deuter Guide. I would call my Guide pack over-engineered in every way compared to my Osprey packs. Stiffer frame, stiffer and thicker hipbelt, thicker fabric overall. It is slightly heavier by volume but it carries weight so well that it more than makes up for it, and I have complete confidence in its durability.
>>
(I posted >>616016)

>>616033
Size: Modding and external attachment of shelter and other waterproof stuff will take care of that.

I will be adding a belt.

>>616034
All reviews say it's very comfortable and of course I'm adding a kidney belt you fool
>>
>>616060
any tips/tutorials on modding? Because as soon as I get it tomorrow I'll need to learn to sew so I can put side pouches on
>>
>>616061
Have you tried on one of their new "anti gravity" mid size packs? They're pretty dang comfortable. It helps spread the load tremendously in my opinion, and may even be up there with the Deuter.
>>
>>616060
Yeah you can add your shelter to the outside, just not directly to the frame
>I can also hang pots and ditty bags from the top mounting rods
Seems like it would rattle around a lot. It's about how securely you want it.

>I wish, can't find any stateside
Even here in Sweden it dries up, sometimes you can get a "new" one for $40-50
>>
File: 20151022_161619.jpg (131KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20151022_161619.jpg
131KB, 480x640px
>>616095
The bag has a shelf on it, therefore it mounts directly to the frame right? I mean you can attach it to the bottom of the bag but with some webbing and ladder locks mounting it directly on to the frame isn't hard. And I could sammich a jacket between them without any issues

To get rid of the rattling I put them in dity bags and secure with paracord or bank line.
>>616092
Excuse the high exposure and sun beams, too fucking sunny in Florida. Here it is with the side pouches. I used a old 2" webbing belt I had laying around (it's cotton, so it will have to be replaced at some point) and the pouches are from V-tower (not in stock any more, http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBBING-SET-Swedish-Military-Army-304-Issue-Pouch-Belt-Ammo-Utility-Bottle-Used-/331517955178 here but kinda pricey(I only paid like $7)) with a speedy sewing awl. Stitch it on (instructions come with the awl) with some sort of 2" thick webbing, nothing too thin or the pouches won't stay on. Make sure they're both even! Mark the sides with chaulk at equal distances.

As for the shoulder straps, I got a Outdoor Products 90L external frame bag at a thrift shop for $30, removed the straps and simple attached them with additional webbing off the same bag (kinda like http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLEMAN-PEAK-1-EXTERNAL-FRAME-BLUE-BACKPACK-HIKING-CAMPING-BAG-PACK-/131632557251?hash=item1ea5e96cc3:g:Tr0AAOSwIrNWFW1Z). Just double stitch the pieces together and slip them on. Works differently for different bags so you gotta just put it together as you go.
>>
File: 20151022_161729.jpg (123KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20151022_161729.jpg
123KB, 480x640px
>>616251
Another pic, shitty tent on the bottom and milspec sleeping bag on top.
>>
File: 20151022_161858.jpg (95KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20151022_161858.jpg
95KB, 480x640px
>>616252
One more of the back, notice how the pouches are kinda sliding back? I need to tie a knot in some cordage, slip it through one of the drainage holes, and secure it to the frame. Gonna use some sort of quick release knot probably or some spare hardware laying around. And I need to add my hydration port too.
>>
File: IMG_9765.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9765.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>615879

I have the kestrel 38 and personally, I think it's great. I use the 3 litre osprey hydration system with it and the only drawback of that is that the handle on the damn bladder takes up a fair bit of space inside the pack when it is filled to capacity and placed in its compartment.

Saying that, I still can pack in enough gear for up to 3 nights with it from early spring through until mid autumn. I use a larger pack in winter for my larger sleeping bag and extra clothing layers.

Pic related. My Kestrel packed away after 2 nights /out/.
>>
File: 20151022_161832.jpg (98KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
20151022_161832.jpg
98KB, 480x640px
>>616253
One more pic
>>
File: 851_1_smoke.jpg (25KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
851_1_smoke.jpg
25KB, 260x260px
>>616273
Good to know a 38L can hold enough for 2 nights. I'm leaning toward the Kelty Catalyst 65 as its larger and still reasonably priced. Other anons are right, eventually I'm going to stay out longer and would have to upgrade again. Might as well just get a bigger pack from the start.

Also where were you for that pic? Looks nice.
>>
>>616321
I go for a week with my 45l and bedroll on bottom
>>
>>616321

Another thing about having the 38 is that it stops you packing shit you dont need/wont use and helps to keep the weight down. I used to use a larger pack in the warmer months but when I decided to try a smaller one I soon realised just how much I was over-packing.

A bigger pack will do you fine though. As you fine-tune your particular /out/ gear and needs its good to have a bit more space in the beginning.

The pic was taken in the Lake District in the UK.
>>
Question: I don't know what I'm doing and I went ahead an bought a 48L osprey pack (same model in OP's pic).

How long can I reasonably be innawoods with that pack?
>>
>>616370
If you dont know what you are doing yet, its a moot point really.

Personally I could comfortably stay /out/ for a week or so if i'm carrying all the food i'd need. Longer if I was fishing/foraging and whatnot. There are people here who could stay /out/ longer than that.
>>
>>616382

Well I suppose I shouldn't say that I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. To a limited extent, I do. I'm just not very seasoned in regards to backpack camping.
I'm reasonably knowledgable in outdoor survival. For instance, I'm experienced in harvesting local, wild growing plants for food. I very experienced with fishing, and I can set traps for small game. I'm also proficient in first aid, and know essentials for survival.

However, it goes back to me getting into backpacking. I just don't know what to pack, what to leave out, and some of the trade offs inherent in much of the backpacking gear selection.
>>
>>616368
>lake district
Where is the lake m8?
Seriously looks super nice though.
>>
Okay literally there are 2 packs on earth that are worth even the slightest of a damn the kelty redcloud 110L and that REI 120L drybag that you can put on your back all other packs are garbage tier and gtfo with your sub 100L horseshit
>>
>>616386
Are you doing long long distance hikes? And by long distance i mean anything over 100 miles. Doing LDHs is my favorite way to /out/. I could tell you what I pack. Be warned, Im no ultralighter but I do pack lightweight. Also, much to the shagrin of /out/ I do not practise bushcraft. I hike long distances, take pics, do a bit of birding, make a cozy camp, then wake up and do it again.
>>
>>616388
Same poster, im a wildland firefighter and spend months in the forests and these are the only packs worth a shit, the 120L drybag is slightly better because you can fall into a river with it however the kelty is like an affordable rolls royce
>>
90L would be sufficient for an AT thru-hike correct?
>>
>>616396

If by sufficient you mean overkill, yes.
>>
>>616370

Get a very compressible down quilt and a small tent and you can probably do a week, as long as you don't bring unnecessary shit.
>>
>>616390

No plans, but I may get a wild hair on my ass and decide to some day. But I already know I won't use this 48L pack for that.
Basically, the most I'll backpack in the foreseeable future is 4 days to a week.

Packing smartly, should I be alright with what I have? Keep in mind that I'm shopping around for a lightweight sleeping bag and tent.
>>
>>616396
See these posts
>>616388
>>616391
And dont listen to
>>616406

The "inbetween" for camping doesnt exist, you either are camping for enough to only need a walmart backpack or you actually need some fucking gear in that case bring the right shit
>>
>>616409

What are the advantages of a quilt as opposed to a sleeping bag?
>>
>>616415
Nothing. Get the smallest zero degree sleeping bag you can get and just lay ontop of it if you happen to be warm. Military surplus wool blankets are nice for warmer climates, and a great addition if you cant handle cold skin for a few moments while you get into your sleeping bag.
>>
ALL PACKS 30L TO 90L ARE A SCAM JUST BUY A PACK YOU COULD BRING YOUR HOUSE IN AND IF YOU DONT FILL IT ALL THE WAY THEN YOU HAVE ROOM TO PUT HALF A DEER INSIDE IT
>>
>>616412
Solo trekking? If you are looking for a solo tent i will share my journey to a good lightweight solo tent.
>1st solo backpacking tent.
Wenzel starlight trekker. It is a small lightweight tent. Very light, maybe a little over 2lbs. Biggest flaw is it is single walled. Took it for a two nighter in the SMNP. Condensation was so bad it was wetter in my tent then outside. Also no vestibule to keep boots or other gear outside of tent but still dry
Lesson: get a tent with a full rain fly for superior ventillation. Vestibules, even small ones are awesome.
>2nd solo tent
Ozark Trail Hiker tent
Fooled by youtube survivalists talking about what a great deal this tent is. $30 at walmart, thought why not. The cheap fiberglass poles SUCK. They are so thin and frail. Not a true full rain fly. Tent just had some mesh on the upper part. No attempt to seal the seams. At some parts you could see light shining through the stitching. I sealed all the seams best i could, tent still leaked. Again no vestibule.
>3rd solo tent
Eureka spitfire 1
Very lightweight 2.5lbs. Pokes are aluminum but stiff and tough as fuck. Two small but usable vestibules. Big enough to situp in. Seams were factory tapped. Full coverage rainfly. On warm summer nights I sometimes leave the fly off to stargaze.
Biggest cons. Not free standing. You must be able to stake it down. Never been a problem for me yet. It was at the time my most expensive tent at $120.

If you need a two man tent i can not reccomend the mountinsmith morrison 2 enough. Full rainfly, aluminum poles, 2 fairly large vestibules, and reasonably priced. Right around 4lbs for a true 2 person tent.

Hope this helps anon.
I still have that shitty wenzel somewhere. If you want it I would sell for super cheap.
>>
>>616441

Thanks anon, I'll keep this post in mind while I look for good deals. There's an REI garage sale next month, so I'll probably pick something up there.
>>
>>616441
>>616455

Also, I'll be either solo trekking or going with the gf, so I'd be looking for snug 2 person tents.
>>
>>616414

those are not the two ends of the spectrum, anon.
>>
>>616396
You'd probably need only about 50-60L of that, but sure, it'd do just fine.

>>616415
much lighter weight for the same warmth. the insulation under your body does little good, since it's squished flat. the thinking behind a quilt is to eliminate that unneeded weight and bulk.

additional weight and space savings come from eliminating zippers and in some cases the head hood.

it's a win win, I would recommend a quilt for 3 season camping without reservation. for winter, a quilt with a light bivy to cut down on drafts works very well too. of course, for extreme cold, traditional sleeping bags do a better job of sealing up around the face/neck
>>
>>616415

The part of the sleeping bag you're laying on compresses during the night and doesn't actually provide much insulation at all. The warmth under you comes from your sleeping pad. Quilts eliminate this unnecessary material, saving space and weight. They're also way more versatile, so you can cinch them tight on cold nights or open them up on warmer nights.
>>
>>616253
>>616274
Shit, looks comfy anon.

Love me some ODG
>>
File: lk35_front and back.jpg (692KB, 960x1442px) Image search: [Google]
lk35_front and back.jpg
692KB, 960x1442px
>>616016 (You)
>>616033
>>616060
>>616092 (You)
>>616095
>>616251
>>616252
>>616253
>>616274

My LK35 just got delivered!!!!

First impressions..

- I have no fucking clue where to buy a decent belt
- it's surprisingly comfy! A tad heavy though. Not enough to be an issue.
- I'm getting the distinct impression that it's solid. The material feels like it's very good quality. Strong.
- very surprised how much I can fit in it. This thing is WAY more spacious than it looks.
- I need to learn how to sew and buy some pouches. It's going to be annoying having my little bits like knife, cord, matches, striker, duct tape in with my bedding and clothes and stuff. Then again, I have a bum bag/fanny pack :).

Really happy I bought this. I'm excited to get out and use it.

Thanks for the help and advice, fellow LK35 anon :)
>>
>>615879
Literally a camelpack latched to a daybag.
1 tarp
8 tent pegs (rocks can and will do)
10m Hootchie chord (or surveying rope)
1 sleeping bag
2 24hr rat packs
2 2l bottles
90 rounds primary weapon
sidearm if you're a MG or officer
couple a nades
porn.
>>
I highly recommend the REI Trail 40. Probably the best pack I've ever owned, and if you pack right, it can carry everything you need for several days.
>>
>>616386

>Shelter (tent, bivvy, hammock & tarp etc)
>Correct sleeping system for the area/time of year/weather (sleeping bag/quilt & mat)
>Correct clothing, hat(s), gloves, sunglasses, wet weather gear
>Food & Water purification/filtration & Water carrier
>Map & Compass
>Cooker, cook kit, utensils soap and a scouring pad
>Fixed blade knife & backup folding knife
>Hatchet and/or folding saw
>First aid kit
>Wash kit
>Fire starting kit
>Torch, tent lighting & Batteries
>Toilet paper
>Phone & portable charger

Optional Extras

>GPS unit
>Camera
>Chair
>Kindle or a book
>Tablet preloaded with movies and tv shows
>mp3 player or portable radio
>Guitar/Uke/trombone/drum kit
>Fishing gear
>etc

Also, dependent on where you go /out/ you may need to carry a rifle or bear spray.
>>
>>616611
Nothing says noob quite like backpacking your axe around
>>
>>616704
next time I take it out will be next month in the scottish highlands and inner hebrides. it's going to get used a lot.
>>
>>616612
Mmmm I like it. I would bring 90 rounds of porn and skip the side arm though
>>
>>616704
Hatchets are nice if you go extended stay but yeah that little tiny backpack he has could barely hold his homework I agree he doesnt have much reason to bring it along.
>>
>>616704
>>616782
Not sure if I'm falling for bait here, but obviously he's planning to use it for bushcraft-ish stuff and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>616788
Yeah its fine to use man, i prefer a big knife in 90% of those situations but if you prefer a hatchet then go for it, i bring both a lot of times
>>
>>616611
You plan on hiking any kind of distance? Because that looks uncomfy as fuck tbh.
>>
>>615879
I have the aether 60 and my SO has the ariel 55
I went for bigger volume because I like to bring non dehydrated food for the first two meals, and it gets cold at night in the Canadian Rockies
what sold me on the osprey was the hip support, far better than any other brand I tried
>>
File: IMG_3233.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3233.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>616983
forgot pic
>>
>>615879
>>616420
All you need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
>>617325
i carry my whipsnake 3trillion in my pants
>>
>>616611
>LK35
I'm leaning towards buying one of these. A quick google says they're around 50 dollars.
>>
>>616040
>its a $100 regular price.
Yeah at amazon. I did a 2 minute search and found a hawk 45 for $59US with free shipping. Found a High Sierra Summit 50 for $58 plus 20% off (So almost 12 bucks off making pack around $46) also with free shipping. I was just making a point if you want a inexpensive bag it does not have to be milsurp.
>with modding
When you buy a quality pack modding is not necessary
>muh Durability
I will give you the steel frame is more durable, but that canvas sack will rip and tear like any fabric. The great thing about packs like Osprey and High Sierra is they have lifetime warranties. So if something does break, rip, or tear it will be fixed or replaced. No piece of milsurp gear can boast that.

TLDR: If you buy milsurp just be honest and admit you bought it for the military look. Nothing wrong with that, whatever tickles your pickle.
Me, I just dont enjoy cosplaying a soldier while /out/.
>>
>>617460

Military vet here. I tend to shy away from surplus on many items because I know they were made by the lowest bidder.
>>
File: 1443205298368.jpg (575KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1443205298368.jpg
575KB, 2048x1152px
>>615879
>Osprey Atmos AG 50
best back ive ever owned. mind you that is a very subjective opinion. so damn comfortable. i do wish it was a little bit bigger sometimes
>>
>>615897
I have that exact bag. Comfy as fuck and holds a lot of gear easily. Get the three-liter water carrier with it as well, totally worth it.
>>
>>617436
Took it on a short walk today as a test run. Comfy as fuck and very nearly fully loaded (Need to buy a tarp and roll-mat and potentially a bivvy bag and/or 1 man tent for redundancy)
>>
>>617460
>if you want a inexpensive bag it does not have to be milsurp.
True.

>modding is not necessary
Like I wrote, not really needed, but I mod just about everything I have. Things usually aren't perfect.

>The great thing about packs like Osprey and High Sierra is they have lifetime warranties
That's for defects in production. Doesn't cover accidents or wear. Man I'm tired of that meme. Maybe you can trick them or they do things to be nice, but that's something else. These packs aren't going to break. If there's an accident they are easy to repair.

>just be honest and admit you bought it for the military look
Some might buy it for the vintage look, these kinda look like ww2 soldier at best. But yeah I can admit I like cosplaying soldier. But there certainly is aspects other than the look.

>>617474
>I know they were made by the lowest bidder
That's how everything is made. You come up with a spec sheet, then you find the producer who can make the thing you want the cheapest. Some products are only made in small scale of course, but you can be damn sure that cost gets passed on to you.
>>
>>617564
Straight from Osprey website

OSPREY'S LIFETIME WARRANTY

Osprey will repairany DAMAGE or defectfor ANY REASON free of charge – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday.If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it.We proudly stand behind this guarantee, so much so that it bears the signature of company founder and head designer, Mike Pfotenhauer

Get REKT M8
>>
>>617589
The EU site says "If we determine the damage is resulting from normal wear and tear, abuse, misuse, accident or exceeding the reasonable expectations of the product’s lifespan, this will not be covered by our guarantee"

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>>
>>617597
Lol, blame your stupid laws regarding warranties.

Plenty of products say something like "lifetime warranty, except in jurisdictions where prohibited."
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-24-22-08-22.png (439KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-24-22-08-22.png
439KB, 1080x1920px
>>617597
Sorry, didnt know it was different for yuropoors. Here is a screenshot of the Osprey website from burgerland, home of the free and awesome warranties
>>
>>617602
>blame your stupid laws regarding warranties.
Nope, of course they can give a lifetime warranty if they want to.
>>
>>617603
>>617597
Euro's gettin BTFO
>>
>>616611
Get an ALICE hip belt like MCQ bushcraft did off ebay, or a MOLLE one

And for organising I use VATZ bags, gonna make a slider system at the top for easy access to them hopefully!
>>
File: drago-scout-backpack-01-560x750.jpg (114KB, 560x750px) Image search: [Google]
drago-scout-backpack-01-560x750.jpg
114KB, 560x750px
So hey. I got the big pack for innawoods stuff but I want one for urban EDC stuff. When I'm just commuting to my folks house, work, and I want one not so big. I'm thinking the Drago scout pack. Opinions? Or similar ones?
>>
>>616273
Mirin that view.
It's a wonder to think those are probably the same mountains as the Appalachian.
>>
>>616274
>>616611
can you gents take a close up picture of how you all are attaching the lower part of the pack to the frame?
>>
Thinking about getting a new pack. I know I want an Osprey, just having a hard time deciding between the Atmos and the Aether. Any anons own these packs? Any advice to sway me one way or the other?
>>
>>618673
Mil-Tec make something similar at a much more affordable price. I've been using a mid size one (20 litres) for about 3 years now, with no issues.
--->http://www.military1st.co.uk/brands-mil-tec/
this is the place I got mine.
looks like they have the new Laser-cut MOLLE ones now.
>>
What do you guys think about the vintage Kelty external framed backpacks? I might buy one for 25 dollars, good deal? (Btw I've never really gon /out/ but I just wanted something to start out with especially cheap since I'm poor right now)
>>
>>619614
Whoops, forgot pic.
>>
>>615879
Alright /out/, I come to you cause I figure you guys would know best. So my friend's mother just let me take a backpack home, completely free, she just said "take it, no one uses it anymore". it's an Osprey Ace 48, as far as I can tell from it saying Osprey on top and Ace 48 on bottom. It's not a worn out backpack or anything, I'd say it looks either close to new or very VERY lightly used. Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you guys have heard of this backpack or used and know if it's any good or what kind of deal I got considering it was free and all?
>>
>>619614

They will work. I still see people hiking with external frame packs. If you need something right away and $25 is all you can afford, go for it. But internal frame packs are way more comfortable.
>>
File: 1430013896243.gif (1024KB, 225x275px) Image search: [Google]
1430013896243.gif
1024KB, 225x275px
I bought a high Sierra 45L one at Costco for 50 bucks 2 years ago and still use it. It's really good but lacks the bells and whistles of the more expensive packs. I'd recommend that if you're starting out. I can pack like 3 days worth of stuff in it

Also, looking to upgrade to an osprey any recommendations? Looking for a 60L
>>
>>619614
>>619615
I have used that pack quite extensively and it's totally functional but definitely not good.

The pack was clearly intended for a more average size dude. I am only a bit over 6' with a 36" waist and the shoulder straps were too narrow and the belt at pretty near to its max length. Also the shoulder straps in general have crap padding compared to any high end pack, and clip straight to the frame in a way that is uncomfortable.

On the plus side, the little nylon cord clip things that secure the flap over the main pouch are way sturdier than they appear at first, it seems like it would be a problem but it works good enough. Also the zippers on the thing are extremely durable and built to withstand the apocalypse.

That being said $25 is a great price for it, and it will work fine if your only goal is cheap. Overall I wouldn't really recommend it over a legitimately good pack, but you are going to be hard pressed to find a good pack for less than $100.
>>
>>620330
>>620346
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I will definitely save up for a while after I get this pack so I can spend ~100 on a much better one.
>>
>>620310
So I come back after checking Amazon. Is an Osprey Ace 48 really a $250 backpack? Did I really just get a $250 backpack free? Can anyone say if these are really good? Has anyone used these? My mind is a little blown.
>>
>>620669
Former REI pack fitter here.

No, you didn't get a $250 pack for free. You got a $160 pack for free and some third party seller is being unscrupulous on Amazon (shocking, right?)

Anyway, the Ace is a great pack with one hitch, it's technically a youth pack for ages 12 - 16.

That being said, despite being for kids Osprey made it with the same quality and attention to detail as their adult packs. And it will fit some adults. I was horsing around one day and loaded one up with 30lbs and put it on. The hip belt didn't fit, but after adjustment the shoulder yolk actually did. And I'm not a small guy, I'm 6ft 200lbs with a 21 inch shoulder span.
>>
>>620669
It's a discontinued youth pack, so I'm guessing the price you found is inflated. The Ace 50 goes for about half that price.

Does the pack fit correctly on your back?
>>
that backpack looks like Plankton from Spongebob
>>
>>615879

That backpack looks like Plankton from Spongebob
>>
>>620677
>>620678
Well, even a free $160 backpack is quite something, at least for me anyway. I'm pretty out of shape, 5'8" 255, and I was able to just ALMOST buckle the hip belt. But I have a friend who's 6' something and built like a twig, so I think I'll just set up this pack and whenever we want to go camping or hiking I can just toss it to him.
>>
>>620685

The harness adjusts up to I believe 19 inches, which is a middle-medium in Osprey adult sizes, so unless your friend has a really long torso it should fit either of you.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (12KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
12KB, 360x360px
I'm really leaning towards this pack. It's 50L which I'm thinking is a decent amount of space, I just bought a new sleeping bag that I can't fit in my old bag. Only thing is it's the price. $230 or $166+$45 shipping.
>>
Depends on how expensive your current or planned gear is. Like >>615884
said.

I went with an Osprey Atmos 65 AG as my first pack, as it can cinch down really small when not full, but has the capability to lug around a load of cheap, bulky camping gear.
>>
>>620708
That's a pretty average price for a pack. I was able to get my Osprey Volt 60 for $180 because REI was clearing the shelves for the Atmos AG.

I haven't seen an Osprey for that price since.
>>
>>620685
Or you could use this as motivation to lose weight anon, it will make you feel better AND save you money.
>>
>>620721
I'm aware, I just don't really have the disposable income at the time to buy it. Hoping it goes on sale around Christmas time.
>>
>>620708
it's a comfortable pack, but not really ideal. ideally I'd want some loose open mesh pockets (like the osprey exos series) on the back, rather than the narrow and tight spandex pouches on the atmos series. then you'll have room to put wet rain gear, hat/gloves, or snacks without getting the main part of your pack wet, or exposing it to the elements.
>>
>>620401
save triple that amount and money in the long run
>>
>>620401
bite the bullet and get a nice osprey or falljraven or deuter or marmot other good brand these guys suggest. you won't regret it. after getting a proper pack, my enjoyment of hiking has gone up at least 10x.
>>
File: P3RvOhT_cleaned.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
P3RvOhT_cleaned.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>619550
All it is is a buckle and bit of webbing, pull it tight and you're gtg
>>
>>620717
what would be the difference between medium and large in this pack?
>>
>>620708
I've been leaning towards this one, it's the most comfortable pack I've tried, but I'm nervous if the space magic mesh support will stretch out over time
>>
>>623524
I've never heard of people complain about the suspension wearing out. and if it does, send it in for free repairs anytime.
>>
>>623381
A medium will fit torso 18-21 inches and a large fits 20-23 inches.

Your torso measurement is the distance between the top of you illiac crest (hip bone) to your c7 vertebra (the one that makes a bump when you put your chin down.

As a former packfitter, I had a lot of guys convinced they were larges because they were tall, fat or just thought it was more manly to buy a large. But it's all about proportion, not height.

Most guys are in the medium size range. If you're having a hard time measuring yourself, a decent specialty outdoor shop like Cabela's or REI will be able to help you.
>>
>>623695
thanks anon
>>
File: mms_picture_1.jpg (254KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
mms_picture_1.jpg
254KB, 1280x960px
I use relatively large packs. I also avoid the tendency to fill them though, although I don't mind heavy loads, I certainly don't prefer them. I've used both of these packs (Rogisi 65l [left] and Stansport 70L [right]) for up to 5 nights each.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.