[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Mora is best Mora?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 35

File: 41TlXunNG6L._SY400_.jpg (15KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
41TlXunNG6L._SY400_.jpg
15KB, 500x381px
Woot has the bushcraft carbon steel Mora on sale for $40.

Looking to buy a Mora just to see if it really deserves it's reputation around these parts.

So if you were to buy a Mora, which model would it be?
>>
>>615400
i have a Companion for food/slicing and a Robust for hard work
>>
>>615400
I'm tempted to get it, if only to be part of the meme.

I know nothing about Moras, though.
>>
I bought a mora. On sale at local shop for 11$. Though why the hell not. The only thing they can do well is process food and feather stick smaller stuff. They are hyped by hipsters and trail fags

I also hate how mora fags claim weight then next sentence tell you should have a axe and laplander. A single big knife tho? Na to much weight.
>>
>>615400
I have a mora crafrline q, which is I guess the old version of the 511 series. It works great for me but I use it in my garden and yard work and some butchery work too. Never batonned wood or anything like that with it so I can't say if it meets that hype. I'll be getting a 511 for the comfy rubber handle though.
>>
>>615437
well you can put down axe in camp but you can't put down your only knife ever at least it's not recommended.

also i think you should have a small knife beside the big work knife anyways, so you are not losing or gaining anything a big knife is around the same weight as a small hatchet and has similar capabilities except they are more versatile in other areas like you can't hammer well with a knife and you can't clear bush well with an axe.

>>615471
i have seen plenty people baton almost every existing moras with no negative effect. the handle is well enough built if you must to do that. but the robust and the bushcraft are better suited to that specifically. you need thick spine to effectively split wood.
>>
File: Marbles Fire Axe.jpg (12KB, 500x199px) Image search: [Google]
Marbles Fire Axe.jpg
12KB, 500x199px
>>615437
I used to carry a cold steel tomahawk and a Mora, now I carry this and a Mora, I'm out most weekends and have nothing but praise for both, I've had some teasing about the fire axe but that usually stops as soon as people use it or see me use it.
>>
>>615498
that's not an axe but a funky matchete
>>
>>615502
I don't care what they call it, it works for me : )
>>
>>615437
>11$
why did you buy a gardening knife?

the ~$40 bushcraft series has a 3,2mm thick blade. the knife has a good handle and a versatile sheath (multiple carry options).

the "heavy duty" series has the same blade. but the old fixed sheath.
>>
>>615437
It's not a weight issue, it's because one large knife sucks ass at little knife stuff, and sucks major ass at hatchet stuff. And if you're bringing a hatchet with, you should be bringing a saw, too.
>>
>>615400
If you are going into the woods for a day sure grab a cheap mora. Great cheap knife. But if you want something you can trust your life on, please please please look elsewhere.
>>
File: rambomesserpart22.jpg (53KB, 640x408px) Image search: [Google]
rambomesserpart22.jpg
53KB, 640x408px
>>615524
>But if you want something you can trust your life on, please please please look elsewhere.
>>
File: Proper Survival Knife.jpg (107KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
Proper Survival Knife.jpg
107KB, 600x375px
>>615525
My first out knife was one of these, I got it from my older bro and thought I was the shit with it, I'm amazed at how much I was able to do with it considering it was shit.
>>
>>615530
gifts have always a high personal value. I also have one of this knifes. it was a present.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU
>>
>>615524
OP here, definitely not looking for a knife to trust my life with. I mainly hike locally, and camp locally. We have 600 acres of land, we hike and camp overnight on that, and do some small weekend trips here and there. My cousins and friends live close by, many of them own a few hundred acres as well, attached to us, so in all we have maybe 1000 acres of land in rural NE Pennsylvania.

I carry a Buck Bantam knife now. It's super light, and works great for me. Like others said, I use it for food, cutting cordage, just little tasks. When we hike on our property I can carry a full sized axe and get a raging fire going with the wood I cut if nwe'd be. I'd never carry the axe off private property though.

Just thought I'd join the cool kids with a Mora. I might just get the companion though.
>>
>>615591
>companion
is a knife made for girl hands
>>
>>615594
fuck are you talking about? shit is huge.
>>
File: 99425513.jpg (600KB, 1000x607px) Image search: [Google]
99425513.jpg
600KB, 1000x607px
mora + gman = best combo
>>
>>615604
shitty camo though
>>
>>615596
airhead: compare the companion with a bushcraft. complete different sizes. complete different field of use.
>>
>>615614
fuck are you smoking they are literally the same size the bushcraft is a tiny bit thicker than normal companion and the same thickness as heavy duty
>>
File: nb.jpg (11KB, 308x164px) Image search: [Google]
nb.jpg
11KB, 308x164px
>>615610
got to bed, jim bob
>>
>>615619
are you even European?
>>
it's a girl knife. idiots. not made for the woods.
>>
File: girl-gun.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
girl-gun.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>615627
>it's a girl gun. idiots. not made for the field.
>>
>>615628
>compare guns with knifes..
>>>/hm/
>>
>>615627

You know what the sheath was designed for, dont you?
>>
>>615630
well some people honestly thinks the ar is not fit for field use and real men use ak, but you can't make that decision based on coloring cause they have nothing to do with the inherent qualities... hence my post
>>
>>615623
What? Calm your autism I was just pointing out that kypek is a shitty meme camo, no need to get so defense
>>
File: l.jpg (8KB, 340x255px) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
8KB, 340x255px
>>615632

sheathing the knife?
>>
>>615644

Sheathing the sheath inside the ladie's sheath
>>
>>615524
confirmed for owning more than ten knives with less than ten minutes of real use per knife
>>
OP here.

I think I'll pass on the woot deal. I mean I already have a knife, sharpener, and fire starter. I don't think this will be a huge upgrade. I do think however I'll buy a companion, and see how I like it.
>>
File: 8566.jpg (50KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
8566.jpg
50KB, 800x800px
>>615800
OP again, this is my current go to knife. A Buck Bantam. It's a folder, but feels very sturdy. Razor sharp from factory, and very light weight, excellent for backpacking. I bent the belt clip out a mm or 2 so it slides perfect on to a D ring on my packs shoulder strap. Easy access when I need it, but so light I never feel it.
>>
File: BU-285CMS22.jpg (43KB, 800x300px) Image search: [Google]
BU-285CMS22.jpg
43KB, 800x300px
>>615801
Another pic

I didn't choose the camo pattern myself, it was a gift from my Grandmother. I normally don't do much camo, but it's a nice pattern.
>>
mora 2000 is the best
>>
More companion $12
It's great for everything but batoning basically. I've batoned with it, no damage, though.
>>615524
I would definitely trust my life on this for knife tasks. Not axe tasks though, lol
>>
>>616721
I've seen lots of cheap moras that have been sharpened so many times there's nothing left of the blade. For knife tasks they will last as long as a blade can. I've never seen a batoning knife that has been used that much, even on the internet.
>>
>>616721
>I would definitely trust my life on this for knife tasks.
Me too. I'm a hardcore batonist and I understand the benefits of having a thick full tang knife but as a knife all Moras with a plastic handle are as realiable as it gets.

>>616723
>sharpened so many times there's nothing left of the blade.
This used to be the case before throw-away-society. I don't think batoning was a thing back then, but I remember my grandfathers woodworking tools. He had a couple of puukkos probably from the late 19th century, all razor sharp and 50% left of the blade.
>>
>>615437
>I also hate how mora fags claim weight then next sentence tell you should have a axe and laplander. A single big knife tho? Na to much weight.
You do know that's not just mora fags that say this, right? Do you realize how uneducated you sound? You should really LOOK in to bushcraft before you get yourself hurt or stress yourself in the brush. But you probably don't go far off the trail or from your car.
>>
>>615624
You're a bad troll. Legit bad.
>>
>>616746
I don't give a crap about weight, in fact I think ultralite is pretty faggy. But my saw + mora weighs the same as a big batoning blade.

Truth is moras are excellent for knife tasks, and outperform bigger thicker knives. If you carry a light axe + Mora, it will be a bit heavier but outperform the big blade in both knife and woodworking.
>>
>>616756
I carry a hatchet and mora. Wouldn't have it any other way.
>>
>>616756
Samefagging >>616798
Ultralite is possibly the dumbest thing I've seen. Especially from the prices they pay for their stuff and the justification they have for doing it. I wouldn't spend that much on a sleeping bag or tent ever. I don't care how light it is. And batoning is equally stupid.
>>
>>616756
Being a batonist I was about to call you an idiot, but what you say is the truth. Having both the axe and a Mora knife is really practical.

>>616756
>moras are excellent for knife tasks, and outperform bigger thicker knive
please don't destroy my knife dreams though. Nothing in this world cuts quite like my >$300 knife.
>>
File: kTpKtrc[1].png (17KB, 525x251px) Image search: [Google]
kTpKtrc[1].png
17KB, 525x251px
>>616815
agree on the utralite rant to
>>
>>616819
There's nothing wrong with batoning. It's people trying to force/trick others that are the problem.

>please don't destroy my knife dreams though. Nothing in this world cuts quite like my >$300 knife.

If you spend $300 on a smaller, thinner blade (Mora sized if you will) it will surely outperform the mora in every way. ...Except price/performance. The expensive knives are way cooler though. But I think moras are kinda cool too, I have exactly 111 kills with mine in bf4.
>>
>>616825
Undeniably the mora in money and effectiveness is unmatched. Practicality just wins with it.
>>
File: fix_it.gif (372KB, 471x268px) Image search: [Google]
fix_it.gif
372KB, 471x268px
>>616820
>>
>>616898
Sure I could have faked it. But I didn't. It really makes you seem stupid when you go to call out any two anons agreeing as "samefags".
>>
>>616909
Yes because heaven forbid we be TWO people who disagree with what they say. That would just be silly. Hell that would mean they have a higher chance of being wrong.
>>
>>616926

>that would mean they have a higher chance of being wrong

Yeah, nah. Get those logical fallacies the fuck outta here.
>>
>>616985
>Get those logical fallacies the fuck outta here.
Right after you gtfo with the hurr durr muh batons.
>>
>>615400
The cheapest
>>
>>615437
Can you please give us some more details about what you tried to do with your Mora and how it failed.
>>
>>615801
I really hate camo/woodland pattern, drop it once and it can become a fucking nightmare to find in dead leaves and foliage, although I do understand that if you are hunting then it's a godsend.
>>
>>616729
> hardcore batonist

Wow...

> hardcore batonist detected

I never knew it would come to this.
>>
can you link it? I can't seem to find it on woot
>>
File: 1445921287345-795012679.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1445921287345-795012679.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>619096
OP here, it's not that bad since the blade is exposed some and shiny stainless, so finding it isn't hard. Camo isn't my first choice, but like I said it was a gift from my grandma. She buys me and my cousins the same gift often, and they are more avid hunters than me, so we all got camo. Still, I like it a lot, and the pattern is actually pretty nice. Pic related, it's my knife.
>>
>>619100
The sale was one day only, no longer on the site.

With shipping it was $45. Amazon has it for $12 more with free shipping.
>>
>>619107
Does Woot have a search facility.... I can't seem to find it????
>>
>>615628

> AR
> "made for the feild"

Heh.
>>
>>619111
it's up now under the sport category
>>
File: 1419718375925.gif (646KB, 200x153px) Image search: [Google]
1419718375925.gif
646KB, 200x153px
>>616729
>I don't think batoning was a thing back then
I've just turned 50 this year so I did most of my knife training in the late 70's and early 80's, back then batoning was taught as something you did as a last ditch do or die effort, it was taught like this because the chance of breaking you knife in a survival situation might mean you death, fast forward to 2006 and people start showing up on YouTube to do knife reviews, these reviewers use batoning as a way of testing/showing how tough a knife is, the autists and sperglords see this and immediately take it as read that this is what you should be doing with your knife all the time, and thus we come to today where we now have a generation of chuckleheads who learnt their shit from said speglords and autists and think it's fucking gospel, some days you just have to shake your head and walk away.
>>
>>619292
THIS knife is plan M at best, should be more like plan Z.
>>
>>619292
I tripped my own inner sperglord by fucking up the word "your" twice!!
>>
>>619292
The sensibility in this is astounding. Too bad you'll be either read over and not replied to or picked on for your sentence structure. You are absolutely right though.
>>
File: 1419081821058.jpg (24KB, 478x468px) Image search: [Google]
1419081821058.jpg
24KB, 478x468px
>>619319
Many thanks anon, you made me blush, LoL
>>
>>619211
nah can't find it at all.
>>
>>615400
nvm found it.
>>
>>619292
This.
>>
>>619107
>>619111
>>619211
>>619333

It's was a ONE DAY SALE, as mentioned previously. It is NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

Amazon has it for only $12 more shipped.
>>
>>619417
It's still available.4 days left under sports/survival
>>
>>619295
If I have to baton with my knives I'm literally stuck in the brush, lost my hatchet, and can't go home.
>>
>>619451
And have to get a fire going in the next half hour or I'm gonna die.
>>
>>619292
modern knives can easily take it tho the good ones at least.
>>
>>615400
>What Mora is best

the LMF II
>>
>>619483
go away gerber shill your shitty steel and impractical design stinks from a mile
>>
>>619292
Not a baton-fag, but I think we must give consideration to the development of sciences/technology and how it influences capabilities and limitations.

It's reasonable to debate whether or not knives, specifically the strength in the designs and the quality of the materials, have reached the point where the rigors of batoning poses little to no danger. But it would be unreasonable to claim that a knife would never be capable of such a thing.

As such, the argument that batoning is a dangerous practice now simply because it was at one point isn't strong. Eventually that argument wont reflect reality. Which is why you shouldn't examine the debate from a "what we used have/what we used to practice" but a "does what we have now justify our current practice".

I don't want to sound rude but what was taught and what may have been true 30 years ago, was 30 years ago. That's a long time for our understanding of metallurgy and production methods to grow.

Look at how far plastics and fabrics have come. We are utilizing them ways we wouldn't have considered decades ago because they are stronger/lighter/cheaper than what was anticipated. You think metal is any different?
>>
>>619488
>We are utilizing them ways we wouldn't have considered decades ago
now have nanotubes in our lungs too
>>
>>619488
I can accept that things do move on and I try to keep moving with them, knives today (the good ones at least) do seem to focus more on outright strength, I think that's probably a reaction to people batoning and breaking knives and then complaining about them online, but I think we also do ourselves a disservice by not recognizing that in an emergency situation you should not baton unless you absolutely have to, I mean you can baton your heart out in a non life threatening situation, but when the chips are down for real then and your knife could be the difference between coming home alive or in a box, then you better think loooooooooooong and hard before you take a chance (even a remote one) on breaking your blade.

I would also respectfully point out that there are many video's on YT showing blades failing while being used to baton, I would also caution you from thinking that knife manufacturing has moved on that much in the last 30 or 40 years, many of the manufacturing plants and machinery operating around the world today would not seem all that different to someone stepping out of a time machine from the 1950's.

If you must baton on a regular basis then try to carry a dedicated tool for that plus you main EDC "out" knife, I've been camping as we first called it, and bushcrafting as it has become known since the 70's and have never used my knife to baton, I've splint wood lengthwise but that was small stuff and I didn't have to pound the blade with another hunk of wood to do it, but I have never needed to baton wood with my knife, and I've been wild camping in all kinds of situations and weathers.

I think batoning is a fad and will pass in time.
>>
>>619488
>>619503
LoL, I'm beginning to feel like this guy, so that's it for me from now on, you guys baton if you like but I'm gonna stick to my "old fashioned" ways and keep on carrying a small hatchet with me when I go out.

Have fun and be safe kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCxQN_CorM
>>
>>619503
I agree about batoning, it's a fad. Not once in all my years have I been forced to use any of my knives to baton; Like a poster said earlier, it's usually a last resort to baton with a knife. If you don't have a tool or the patience to finish something without knife batoning you are probably doing something wrong.
>>
>>619484
ok whatever you say mora meme boy
>>
>>619418
Ok I see I now. It won't show up on mobile unless I go to the non-mobile view.
>>
>>615498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLjjO1g9uY
>>
>>619529
that thing looks like a piece of shit.
>>
>>619503
We are producing knives that span a wide range of quality, more than ever, to fill certain price brackets. It will come as no surprise that a $3 pocket knife you pull out a bucket at Lowes will fail in a way a knife 100 years old wouldn't. I've seen knives break when a baton was taken to them, but they are very often the exact opposite of what I consider to be the best of what we have to offer. (In that they are knifes created/priced/marketed towards the casual/average consumer)

Point being is that we have to look at the maximum potential of what we can create, and compare that to what the maximum potential was in the past, if we want a fair comparison.

Stamping/grinding/milling/cutting are methods of manipulating metal through machines that would not be impress the time travelers. They would be more impressed with the purity of our metals, the new alloys/heat treat methods, the control we have the composition of our steels and temperatures during heat treat, the technology that allows us to detect the smallest imperfections in the steel that would go completely undetected otherwise, ect.

The metal we have at our disposal today is simply better.

There was a time, not recently mind you, when blades were so soft or so brittle that they could be damaged through practices you and I wouldn't hesitate to use today. All I'm saying is that there is a potential with modern technology and materials to create a knife that wont break when you strike it with wood. And if it's not possible today it will certainly will in the future. Which is why we should base our practices on the limitations we have today, not the limitations our fathers had, or what we were taught in the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>619531
Agreed, but I have one and it works very well, it will easily take down saplings for shelter building and I've cut down a 6 inch diameter tree with it and it wasn't too bad at all, it's something like a cross between a hatchet and a machete, it doesn't weigh much and has hung in there really well for the past two years of use, I modded the handle with some grip tape as the smooth varnish didn't inspire confidence.
>>
File: Mora Pro S.jpg (223KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Mora Pro S.jpg
223KB, 900x600px
This one is in the post as we speak, did I make a good choice? My first survival knife and I've seen good things about Mora while lurking here so I figured it was a good place to start.
>>
>>615400
bought a carbon steel red handle to complement my opinel

i've abused it alot and it keeps on truckin
>>
>>619548
I have that exact knife. Love the handle but dislike the short blade. If only i could have the blade of a rosbust craftline with the mora pro handle.
>>
$12 for a stainless steel light work knife? Absolutely.
>>
>>619679 this was ment for you >>619548
>>
>>619548
imo Moras are not survival knives. Survival knives should be full tang so you're able to baton in an emergency situation, even though the word baton triggers people here, it's the truth.
Moras are ok for normal use though.
>>
>>621593
See
>>619292
>>
File: 1401413915488.jpg (28KB, 387x617px) Image search: [Google]
1401413915488.jpg
28KB, 387x617px
>>619483
>>619522
I missed your shit post a few days ago. Makes me a bit sad. The LMF II is a joke. Say what you want about army blah blah or whatever but you bought it on hype and you know it. The only advantage that any branch anywhere had over taking that with them is that if they fucked it up and broke it they could replace it without an issue. You however will pay $60+ for a new style knife if you wreck it and get sick of it. None of any part of that knife is practical and all it drips "tacticool".

>But I got a pummel

You have a pointed whatever that is that has broken and fallen out of the handle time and time again.

>Muh serrations cut better.

Gerber serrations are junk. Trying to keep serrations maintained in a "survival" situation is a recipe for disaster especially when they consume almost half your blade. Even the YouTube "experts" that you sperglords worship have videos of bent serrations on gerbers.

>Any story ever about what a soldier did with it.

Any knife meeting military standard (10" long x 1/4 thick" w/ a pummel) anywhere could do what those did. That was just the one they had on hand.

>I can lash it cord to make a spear.

This is my favorite argument for this knife by far and seems to be a high point with "experts" reviewing "survival" situations and knives. If you lash your knife to do this, you're an idiot of massive proportion. Because when you jam that thing in to whatever you decided to go Shaka Zulu on which no lie, you'll probably miss and jam in to a tree, rock, or the ground you will immediately do more damage to your knife than you yourself will be able to fix in the middle of a "survival" situation.

Ka bar has some bad ass stories too and most of those have a higher chance of actually being fully true and not some horrid marketing ploy by a bad knife company who outsources a large chunk of their stock to China.

You know NOTHING.
>>
>>621624
>2015
>this mad

Simmer down
>>
>>621635
I ain't even mad. Simply stating facts.
>>
Is the mora hatch any good? There's a deal on Amazon where it ships with the hi vis mora 2000 I think, 40$ iirc. Doesn't seem like a bad deal unless the hatchet is factually junk.
>>
>>621694
You're asking dangerous question since GB is the preferred brand on /out/. I bought a tekton off Amazon with my SS companion and came out to roughly $35. Great little hatchet.
>>
>>621593
you realize that you don't need a sharp piece of metal to baton wood ? You simply need a wedge (piece of wood or rock will work). In an emergency situation why would you risk your only knife to baton wood, unnecessary risk.
>>
>>621675
>Simply stating *opinions.

Fixed it for you
>>
>>621812
Do a little research on the LMF II. You'll find everything I said fairly quickly.
>>
>>615400
Not going to read this whole shitty thread. I have that exact knife in your picture. Mora Bushcraft Black.

It's a thick blade, but not an enormous (too big) knife.
I can easily make feather sticks, it has a 90 degree back for the ferro rod, the sharpener on the side is short, but works if you lose/ break your wet stone while out.

I have gutted fish with it just fine.
I have used it to baton wood.
The clip is great.

I really like this knife.
>>
Opinions on that 8 inch mora? It almost looks like the knife I want just to hack away brush and so simple camp tasks, and it's cheap.

I do want to try one, but my other choice is the bk9, which is a solid 90$. Good investment but I don't need both.
>>
>>619483
>partially serrated
Pure shit.
>>
>>621861
>2015
>still making other people opinions as fact

Good job sheep.
>>
>>619488
The point is that knives made to baton are heavy as shit, and you might as well carry a lighter knife and a hatchet. The extra weight of a hatchet is offset by its greater ability.
A batoning knife is basically a one trick pony. Too thick and heavy for skinning and deboning game, cleaning fish, and other detailed tasks.
>>
File: better than mora.jpg (103KB, 813x448px) Image search: [Google]
better than mora.jpg
103KB, 813x448px
>>615400
>>
File: just as good as mora.jpg (93KB, 813x448px) Image search: [Google]
just as good as mora.jpg
93KB, 813x448px
>>622013

$6
>>
>>622013
>>622014
>>622015
Who is this faggot spamming this everywhere? I've reported him twice already, why isn't he banned yet? Blatant advertising and spam
>>
>>621987
You're a poor troll.
>>
>>622098
I think it's the sebenza guy from /k/. The posted that shit for a while and nothing got rid of them.
>>
>>622013
Mora isn't much to look at either but fuck if that's not an ugly knife.
>>
File: trol thrad.jpg (22KB, 617x146px) Image search: [Google]
trol thrad.jpg
22KB, 617x146px
>>622115
>>622110
>>622109
>>622107
>>622098
yal nigga postin in a trol thrad
>>
File: a a a piss2.jpg (65KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
a a a piss2.jpg
65KB, 1024x576px
>>622124
>>622115
>>622110
>>622109
>>622107
BEST MORA IS NO MORA
>>
>>622013
>>622014
>>622015
sad part it doesn't looks it's worth that $6
hell if somebody gave it to me free i wouldn't take it with me
>>
>>622115
>global rule 10 and 11
Breaking both of them mate, will have none of that shit here
>>
File: clonked-my-bonkers-gorilla.jpg (41KB, 382x384px) Image search: [Google]
clonked-my-bonkers-gorilla.jpg
41KB, 382x384px
>>622124
>>622125
Angry troll is angry.
>>
>>619548
I have one too, cheap as fuck to use without any regrets and get the job done. 10/10 would buy again
>>
>>622348
Talking to yourself won't justify anything. Go away sebenza guy.
>>
File: 2+(3).jpg (87KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
2+(3).jpg
87KB, 1600x1068px
>>621694
For $35 you can get an Estwing. Look at it. Its fooken beautiful. It is a superior hatchet. Its the kind of tool you will be able to hand down to your children.
>inb4 muh wooden shaft
You will not break the metal shaft. No matter how hard you try you will not.
>>
>>622410
Nothing wrong with this, I like it.

Why not have this and a mora, and become legenary.
>>
>>615437
So basically you don't know how to sharpen your way out of a wet paper bag.
I'm sure any problems you had stemmed from using a flat ground tool for jobs that are better suited for other grinds.
>hipsters and trail fags
Coming from a backyard bush blogger?
>>
>>619292
Brilliant, somebody here that actually learned the right way.

But how do I get home if my gps runs out of battery and I don't have reception for my phone?

the kids just don't get it.
>>
File: ksf103_1065-vi.jpg (69KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ksf103_1065-vi.jpg
69KB, 500x375px
>>622013
Holy shit what did you do to that blade nigger?!
>>
>>622434
A FOOKEN LEGEND?
>>
>>622410
>You will not break the metal shaft. No matter how hard you try you will not.
It isn't about breaking the metal but more about bending said metal. But I like estwings, I would just rather have to replace the handle instead of wrestling to rebend it.
>>
File: oogabooga.png (516KB, 574x523px) Image search: [Google]
oogabooga.png
516KB, 574x523px
>> I wouldnt carry a Mora if it was a snake and bit me
>> fuck Mora
>> I would srs carry a Bear Grylls knife from Walmart before i would carry a Mora
>> imagine a scenario where it was balls out on the run survival, like, FBI manhunt shit
>> like you hacked into NASA and the FBI is hot on your trail
>> and you are living in the wilderness area in the state park
>> FBI, park rangers, yogi bear type shit
>> do YOU REALLY WANT A MORA KNIFE AT THIS POINT IN LIFE?
>> FUCK NOOOO
>> you want a BEAR GRYLLS knoife from walmart M8
>> "That aint no Knoife, . . . THIS is a KNOIFE"
>>
>>622492
It would take a extraordinary amount of force to bend the shaft of an estwing. More force than you could possibly apply without machinery.
>>
>>622508
Yeah, probably not something you would do with a hatchet anyway. An Estwing is pretty much bullet proof. I don't like it but I'm not you, so fuck you (I don't mean it, it just rhymes) Tbh I would buy an Estwing Sportsman hatchet if the price wasn't ridiculous. (EU shit area speaking here)
>>
>>622410
In that price range, I can get either the estwing, the mora plus mora 2000, or fiskar x7. I'm leaning towards just leaving the mora hatchet out right off the bat, because the initial draw was getting the knife. But I have knives, so it's between the Fiskar and estwing, they both look good but does it really matter? They both seem like they'd do the job I want them to, and never break.
>>
>>622668
Fiskers
>plastic and steel with a plastic "sheath"
Made in China
Estwing
>steel and leather with a leather sheath.
Made in USA

Tough call.
>>
>>622410
The only thing I don't like is if one of the leather washers break, there's fuck all you can do to fix it.
I ended up cutting them all off and weaving paracord over the handle.
I keep thinking about trying to make a wooden handle like Jimmy DiResta did, but that's more work then I want to do for a $30 tool.
>>
>>622711
Plastic =/= Polymer
>>
Gerber makes some nice products
>>
>>622711
The Fisker ax head looks pretty neat though desu. I'll go with whatever is cheaper
>>
>>622668
Estwing just for the simple fact that if you mess it up the head doesn't turn in to a projectile on a backswing and hit a bystander.
>>
>>622714
there is nothing you can't fix with duck tape or superglue
>>
File: bacon.jpg (78KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
bacon.jpg
78KB, 720x960px
what does batoning mean?
>>
>>623243
when the policemen catch you doing naughty shit and give you an anal probing with rubber sticks
>>
File: Indeed.jpg (59KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
Indeed.jpg
59KB, 320x400px
>>622455
Indeed.
>>
>>623243
is that grits or is that cream of wheat?

https://youtu.be/0Wi8Fv0AJA4
>>
>>623243
According to who you ask it's either the most retarded thing you could with a knife unless it's an emergency or a perfectly normal way to use a knife while out, you'll have to make up your own mind on this one anon

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=batoning+wood+with+a+knife
>>
>>616985
God damn, stop being such a little bitch.
>>
>>619540
That's nice honey, now get to bed.
>>
>>621624
>whatever you decided to go Shaka Zulu on
I love you.
>>
>>621635
>>621812
>>621987
0/10
>>
>>622013
>>622014
Faggot can't even drive a stick, don't trust him.
>>
>>622727
>I'll go with whatever is cheaper
And this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>623474
>>623479
>>623482
>>623484
>>623486
>>623490

Thanks samefag
>>
>>623495
How do you deduce that exactly, read my name? It almost like I browsed the thread responding to a few comments as I scrolled down.
>>
>>619488
>Look at how far plastics and fabrics have come.

Many of the grades of steel currently being used, even in high end knives predate the invention of plastic.

>Not a baton-fag, but I think we must give consideration to the development of sciences/technology and how it influences capabilities and limitations.

>I don't want to sound rude but what was taught and what may have been true 30 years ago, was 30 years ago. That's a long time for our understanding of metallurgy and production methods to grow.

When it comes to knives, metallurgy was 99% as understood then as it is now. When talking about end users and current manufactures, i would argue that knowledge is much less than it used to be.

The amount of nonsensical knives being produced today is astounding, and they will keep being produced as everyone is raving about them.
>>
>>625578
Dude, plastics have been around since the mid-19th century. Most of the alloys used in knives today weren't invented until the mid-20th century or later.
>>
>>625687

"The first plastic based on a synthetic polymer was made from phenol and formaldehyde, with the first viable and cheap synthesis methods invented in 1907"
>>
>>615591
>600 acres

That's massive. My dream is to get a dozen acres or so, enough to set up some orchards and permaculture situations. I'm jealous, enjoy it,
>>
>>626115
Parkesine is considered the first man-made plastic. The plastic material was patented by Alexander Parkes, In Birmingham, UK in 1856.

from the same wiki article that you're so cleverly copy and pasting from.
>>
>>626115
Even then, earlier than most of the steel alloys in common use right now.
>>
>>615400
I'm never really sure when to take 4Chan seriously. Do you guys really believe that you need a big knife to go camping?

You need a medium sized fixie for general tasks and a filet knife for fishing. Anything else is just overcompensation.
>>
>>626359
Oh boy, you're clonking bonkers now. The batonist are going to eat you like their over priced knives eat their bank accounts. But no, not all of us think that you need a big knife.
>>
>>626362
I'm actually kind of curious how many anons actually do extended stays in the wilderness. From what I've read so far, it seems like there's a handful of fairly skilled... ugh, "bushcrafters", and a shit-ton of wannabes talking out their asses who've never camped more than ten feet from their cars.
>>
>>626359
imo mora is medium sized
>>
File: 675.jpg (71KB, 425x567px) Image search: [Google]
675.jpg
71KB, 425x567px
>>626364
Welcome to 4chan
>>
>>622410
these light, thin headed hatchets are fucking useless for splitting wood even though it's pretty
>>626359
/thread
>>
>>626584
>Estwing
>light
You have never held an Estwing have you?
>>
>>626584
>>626611
^ What this guy said. You're obviously talking out of your ass. Estwings split wood as well as, if not better than, your gransfors fuck $500 hatchet.
>>
>>626704
not likely you see any difference in the splitting capabilities of hatchets. except that fiskars splits best in pretty much every review or test.
>>
File: autism_anywhere.jpg (43KB, 556x303px) Image search: [Google]
autism_anywhere.jpg
43KB, 556x303px
>>621624
>pummel
>pummel

It's pommel.
>>
>>626787
I never said anything about the fiskars, only the estwing. Lrn2reeding compression
>>
>>626830
you said hatchets that was all i needed.
i watched shittons of hatchet reviews and they usually throw in a fiskars and it usually comes out on top especially when price is considered.
that is why i said it.

only thing with fiskars is the supposedly shit steel. thing is i have used it quiet a bit and yet to feel the need to sharpen it so i don't know...
don't fall for the "can't make new handle" fags either cause you easily can if you take a look at a fiskars head taken out off the plastic casing you will see it's easy to wedge it in a branch stone axe style.

also long handled fiskars tend to "vibrate" upon impact it's the hollow handle supposedly the hatchets don't that much i'm sure of.
>>
>>626359
The mora isn't a big knife by any means. It's actually pretty small. It's not a tiny knife, but it's only a few inch long blade, not some 8" chopper.
>>
>>626848
I have a fiskars axe and love it, the handle does vibrate, but it's basically indestructible. If I was cutting all day, a wood handle would be nice, less vibration, but for just tasks around camp, cutting up some limbs for firewood, it's great.
>>
File: 20150707_203842[1].jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150707_203842[1].jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
i own several Moras. but on the regular i find myself picking the same one. the moa classic. besides the sentimental crap it has got one advantage that the other moras dont. bare in mind that they basiclt have the same blade. (besides the stainless but i only bring that one ocean fishing) and that is weight. it means a lot..

also i will say one thing about the "survival" or whatever its called. you better not get pine sap on that thing! im serious. i havent been able to keep mine from being sticky. if anyone knows how to make the rubber handle not be sticky. please tell me. the firesteel holder is ... erhm well its nice for keeping track of where you firesteel is and the sharpening stone is .. too inacurate with it being attached to the sheath. so with the "survival" model what you are essentially buying is the handel. the thinker blade and the 90 degree spine. which are nice. but personally i prefer a non rubber handle. which is why i prefer the condor bushlore or similar honestly ( to the mora survival) but i will 90% of the time pick a Mora classic over the condor bushlore

pic not too related
>>
>>627114
alcohol seems to remove sap
you can also try glycerine
when some super-glue gets on my skin i always use liquid soap with high glycerine content to get it off.
>>
File: 1407687959609.png (185KB, 456x480px) Image search: [Google]
1407687959609.png
185KB, 456x480px
>>619548
>stainless
You fucked up.
>>
>>627674
stainless is best
no hassle no rust
>>
>>627674
Carbon supremacist detected
>>
>>626801
That doesn't invalidate my post. But thanks for the insult.
>>
>>627674
I have never understood the controversy this sparks. Stainless is harder to sharpen, sure, but I never have cursed at the sky's for having to take a little extra time on my knives. I've never looked back and though "if only I hadn't spent so much time sharpening my mora". I just don't know what the big deal is.
>>
>>623243

*Batawning

It's a technique used to better kill zambys
>>
>>627114

I got my Fallkniven full of pine shit too.

The only option is to wash it at home with some dishwashing soap.
>>
File: 1447244322776.jpg (2MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1447244322776.jpg
2MB, 3456x2592px
>>615400

I like this Military.

It's the only one I have. Good for carving shit, but I dont consider it to be a "full knife experience". I would never carry that only.
>>
>>629240
went to busse site every knife is "NO LONGER AVAILABLE"
busse knives literally doesn't even exists
>>
>>629263

They're all sold out almost all the time.

Yo may sometimes find two or three models available, and they last 6 months to a year for regular production and less for limited.

And they aint precisely cheap, so you can imagine the fanbase.

Some are even sold before they're made, like the Battle Saw
>>
>>615400
don't buy meme bullshit knives with incorporated ferro rod
what you gonna do if your ferro rod is gone? buy a new knife?
a good knife can last for generations a ferro rod is a consumable
worst is the light my fire edition mora i would only crap on one not only it make the handle less sure to work with having a moving part and a hole but it incorporates something that you really should use at a different size and wear rate than it to be practical.
>>
>>630097
to expand on this my recommendation is buy a companion or companion heavy duty stainless (or hc if you are a carbon fag) and file the top flat 90 degrees and buy a ferro rod separately and use a rubber or bike inner tube to fasten it to the sheath.
this will cost you about $20 and you can put any size or shape or make of firerod there as times goes. or you know just carry them separately in a pocket and use a lighter as your main source of fire like any sane person would.
>>
>>615400
$40 is about the max I would spend for a mora. They're great knifes for the cost.
Decent steel
Decent heat treat
Tougher than what most people give them credit for.

>>619540
>>619488
Its true that our current heat treats and steels are much better than.
But as you can see on youtube today, batoning is what breaks almost all knives.
The biggest difference in knife designs then and now is that knives are typically full-tang, much thicker and much heavier. Why? Because that is what is required to withstand the rigors of retards batoning.
Makers know some retard will pick the knottiest hardwood they can find and bash their knife through it claiming its weaksauce should it fail.
>>
>>630195
seriously shall we forget the whole full tang required for batoning myth?
i have seen hundreds of vids where not full tang knives were batoned the shit out of and held up just fine.
full tang gives you the ability to replace the handle all the knives break at the blade when batoned or near the neck in case of kabars because of shitty design and not rounded L angles.
>>
>>630195
>Because that is what is required to withstand the rigors of retards batoning.
>Makers know some retard will pick the knottiest hardwood they can find and bash their knife through it claiming its weaksauce should it fail.
Truth. Most people don't know the history of batoning or why it was ever taught as a technique. It wasn't intended your only wood process. It was taught as a last resort. Not that that matters anymore.
>>
>>630386
most knives today break because the makers misuse the super steels they make knives of and don't actually keep recommendations about heat treat or make mistakes like cutting out gimmicky notches before the heat treat and quenching which adds extra surface area and makes steel brittle at the weakest point.

it's not the batoning that breaks modern knives it's shitty mass produce and sheer ignorance and not giving a fuck.
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.