[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to humanely kill a fish before taking it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: bass.jpg (36KB, 630x356px) Image search: [Google]
bass.jpg
36KB, 630x356px
What is the best way to humanely kill a fish before taking it home to eat? Suffocating isn't the way to go out.
>>
>>453012
paddle to the skull to stun it, then bled out
>>
>>453012
cut the gills and swish it around in the water
>>
>>453012
http://youtu.be/e8PSpWppjgo
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 699x331px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 699x331px
>>453012
Get a priest to administer last rites
>>
>>453019
Kinda new to harvesting fish. I mainly do catch and release. That being said, this will sound like a dumb question. Do those instruments work on all fish? and where do I get one?
>>
File: imgres-29.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
imgres-29.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
>>453012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikejime
>>
>>453035
you can bonk it on the head with anything
a 8-14 oz weight works great and is handy if you are already out on a boat

that or just bleed them right away
>>
I heard if you toss them into ice cold water, they have a heart attack instantly and that's not too bad
>>
>>453077
inuit do that, just throw right on the ice i negative infinity and they're good
>>
take your knife and stab them in the top of the skull, into the brain
>>
Stab right above the eyes for instant death or just flip em hard on to the ground if it's still on the hook and you got space behind you.
>>
File: 20140729_191134.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20140729_191134.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Stick your thumb in its mouth backwards presding it against the top of the head, jerk the head back and it instantly breaks the neck.
http://youtu.be/l0QesV4JW_8
>>
I decapitate them with a hatchet or knife. It's instant.
>>
>>453131
what kind of nigger eats a smallmouth?
>>
>>453012
just scream at it until it dies from fear and shame
>>
File: IMG_4566345242220.jpg (116KB, 750x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4566345242220.jpg
116KB, 750x1333px
>>453140
It's not for eating, it was my son's first bass and we mounted it. Also, I'm not a negro, unlike you I'm from an all white place.
>>
Insert index finger into mouth
If the fish has teeth you can use a glove
Pull the fishs' head backwards. youll feel a click and the fish is dead. takes less than 1 second.
Ive been doing this since I was 12 and its how Fishermen have done it for hundreds of years.

dont listen to these city slickers... smashing fish with rocks... suffocating them.... morons.
>>
>>453158
Ok
>>
>>453058
yup definitely this.

>cuts off brain
>destroys nerves
>prevents rigor mortis
>preserves fish for proven better taste/quality

so if you are looking to be as humane as possible, keep them alive and do it at home or do it right when you catch it.
>>
>>453012

This is covered in a fish recipe book I once read. Consensus is a few big whacks on the back of the head, and I mean BIG, don't be shy about it.
>>
File: flounder02-300x225.png (99KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
flounder02-300x225.png
99KB, 300x225px
>>453175
>>
>>453131

I do this. Although it may not be practical for species with gnarly teeth.
>>
>>453012
If it's a tuna or a cobra (Ling/Lemonfish), you'll need to bleed it out. That unfortunately prolongs the dying for, you have to make an incision, preferably along the lateral line just behind the gills so that when its heart beats, the blood will run freely from this wound. Otherwise, the meat will be foul.
>>
>>453140
The kind of nigger who knows how to cook.
>>
I just rip the gills with my finger. They bleed out and your meat doesn't look like the left picture here >>453505
>>
>>453175
I'm just gonna pop in here and tell you that rigor mortis has nothing to do with the nervous system. It has to do with lack of oxygen and inactivation of ion pumps.
>>
piss in its gills till it dies
>>
>not throwing them in a bucket full of water to keep them fresh and clean
Also, it's a fucking fish. They don't have feelings. If I get a big catfish or something, I knock the fucker in the head. Everything else gets cleaned alive at home or stabbed in the head if it moves around a lot. It's just a fish. They're retarded, you can catch the same one multiple times in a row.
>>
File: 1402468516339.jpg (95KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
1402468516339.jpg
95KB, 447x444px
>>453694
>gets cleaned alive at home
>It's just a fish

No one taught you to respect wildlife? My guess is absent/shitty father figure. That or your family just hasn't evolved much past a Neanderthal level.
>>
>>453140
Smallies are fucking tasty.

Just gotta eat them out of cold water.
>>
>>453712
I respect what I kill by making the most use of it.

Fresh matters
>>
>>453150
underrated post
>>
>>453694
We've always done this. Just use a ballpin hammer to stun then filet them.
>>
>>453107
That's what I do
>>
>>453712
Hey hey...Hey. Neanderthals were a parallel evolution to homo sapien
>>
>>453012
>What is the best way to humanely kill a fish before taking it home to eat?
Assuming that the fish is big enough, shooting it before hauling it aboard. Assuming that it isn't, severing the spinal cord with a sharp knife.
>>
>go trout fishing with friend
>take our little-known and poorly kept trail that branches off from the AT
>really tough going, dragging ourselves up rocks and sliding down washed out switchbacks
>walk around boulder
>black bear on trail about 40 ft from me
>looks at me and sniffs
>moves a little closer
>pick up stick
>throw it
>friend shouts "FUCK OFF BEAR"
>missed
>didn't matter it took off running
>friend laughs
>go fishing
>get to parking area in the afternoon
>old ladies in jogging gear see us coming out
>"WHAT ARE YOU DOING THEY CLOSED THE TRAIL"
>"why"
>"BECAUSE THERE'S A BEAR"
>"the closed the trail b/c there's a bear in the woods?"
>dike ranger lady blocking the trail with with her truck asks if we saw the bear
>friend quickly says "no"
>drive away and eat pizza for dinner

It was pepperoni IIRC
>>
>>454133
wrong thread I'm a dildo
>>
If it's a small one, I'd just smash the head with by swinging it to nearby rock. For larger ones, i usually just cut the head. Meat cleaver is the best tool to process large(r) fish but you can't carry one innawoods without looking like a cannibal hobo inbred or something
>>
>>453012
Hug it so hard it dies
>>
>>453152
>posting pictures of your children on 4chan
>>
>>453694
disgusting

To think i'm the same race as this piece of shit makes me very sad
>>
>>454182
>looking like a cannibal hobo inbred or something
implying this isn't the look I'm going for
>>
>>453903
The mix of the two seems to be superior to either one.

>>453712
It's a fucking fish. I don't give a fuck if bumble bees or fowl feel pain either, I don't like animals suffering and I try to minimize it but it hardly keeps me up at night. The first time I had to administer a coup de grâce to an animal reeling in pain I decided to do better, but this is hardly some Temple Grandin shit here.
Stun it and fillet it, dump the organs and entrails either directly in the middle of the lake or a bucket to dispose of somewhere they aren't going to attract turtles or other pests to the dock.

Here's an interesting segue for you though regarding animal cruelty and the modern method:
https://www.ted.com/talks/mike_rowe_celebrates_dirty_jobs?language=en
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVdiHu1VCc
First half relevant.

>>454304
Get fucked faggot. I bet you think a welfare class, felon distinctions, and affirmative action are good things.
>>
>>454246
kek
>>
>>454360
It might sound a little ridiculous but I always felt other mammals are the only animals we should be humane with.

Since we know they are biologically the same as us, I think it's important that they don't suffer.

I'm not sure fish/birds/reptiles can feel the way mammals do. So killing them however doesn't matter.
>>
>>454438
If you feel other mammals shouldn't suffer, you know nothing of the predatory habits if dolphins and whales, much less cats or canids.
At this point it comes down to the fact that the distress sounds they make bother me. But like I said, I don't like things that can feel pain to feel pain needlessly where I can prevent it, I simply don't like it. A solid whack on a fish's dome is enough to keep it from its senses fortunately, no need to drain it of blood or anything else silly.
>>
File: muhfush.jpg (217KB, 1117x838px) Image search: [Google]
muhfush.jpg
217KB, 1117x838px
>>454495
>no need to drain it of blood or anything else silly

certain fish NEED bled, asap, kawhai, kingfish.. get that blood out before it fucks up your meat

ike trumps all, if you're planning on keeping it for eating anyway, also if it's saltwater try not to clean it in fresh water until you're ready to cook it, even take some saltwater to do the cleaning/filleting with
the bottom one I stoned, speargun ike instakill
>>
>>453175

>prevents rigor mortis

Yeah.....no.

You cannot prevent rigor mortis. If you think so, you clearly do not understand what rigor mortis is and how it comes to pass physiology wise.
>>
>>454360
>I try to minimize suffering
>Stun the fish before fileting

Oh did you change your mind now?
>>
Just throw them into a boiling pot or fryer. Its instant. Trust me I'm a doctor.
>>
>>454134
Still an interesting story. I'm always amazed at how scared people are by seeing animals, in the woods.
I believe that they would shut down a trail because someone saw a bear doing bear stuff, I would have been just as incredulous about it.
I thought you were leading up to the most humane way to kill a fish was to throw it at a bear.
>>
I mainly fish for trouts like rainbow, cutthroat and brookies. I just stick my blade into the back of their heads and it's lights out.

On a side note, if you don't cook your fish with the head still on then you are a fucking pleb.
>>
File: punch the fish.gif (496KB, 250x126px) Image search: [Google]
punch the fish.gif
496KB, 250x126px
>>453012
>>
>>454246
This, what a fucking clown.
>>
>>455446
Have done this before works just as well as a club.
>>
File: buffy.jpg (45KB, 379x373px) Image search: [Google]
buffy.jpg
45KB, 379x373px
>>453012
best way is to pack them in ice.

If you need another way then just bash them in the head. You'd be amazed how many things die from a wooden stake to the heart.
>>
>>453012
Well what I do is just drive a nice sharp knife in the top of their head just behind the eyes and twist.
Captcha: y pain
>>
File: 1421057681890.png (95KB, 218x261px) Image search: [Google]
1421057681890.png
95KB, 218x261px
>>455111
You frighten me
>>
>>453012
In one swift motion, draw your katana and behead the fish.
>>
>>456872
is essentially
>>453058
>>
>>453012
>humanely kill
Who cares? It's a fish?

nb4 Your mortality is fishy
>>
>>453694
>>454360
>they don't have feelings
>it's a fish
>I don't care if they feel pain
If you even payed even the slighted attention in biology you would know that all animals have a nervous system and can feel pain. It's a scientific fact. Look it up. You can be an idiot and still feel pain.
>I don't want them to suffer
Which one is it?
>>
>>457052
You're an idiot. Go kill yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (869KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
869KB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>457149
>It's a scientific fact. Look it up
I actually did look it up. All animals have nociception, or the sensation of noxious stimuli. That is distinct from pain, which is an emotion.

Not that I disagree with a clean, humane, kill but saying they experience pain is factually wrong.
>>
File: 1422268675816.jpg (71KB, 626x550px) Image search: [Google]
1422268675816.jpg
71KB, 626x550px
its in the similar vein to this thread but on b i saw some fucked up chinese food stuffs, like a frog being diced in half and served whilst alive and shit. i never noticed how brutal their outlook is on other things. i guess thats why in some fucked up places people eat foetus and shit. fuck em.
just wanted to get that off my chest lel
>>
>>457180
The animal experiences and reacts to injury. You're arguing semantics. That doesn't change the fact that you should kill cleanly (for a host of reasons)
>>
File: ftfy m8.jpg (130KB, 626x530px) Image search: [Google]
ftfy m8.jpg
130KB, 626x530px
>>457185
FTFY, m8

(not even Kiwi, I've just been to both countries).
>>
>>454133
Started reading and forgot I was in a fish thread immediately

Fish are gay
>>
the best way is ikejime or however it's spelled

you stab the brain, the fish goes all limp
>>
>>457593
Used to do that. Brought my days catch of Tautog home one day and plopped one on the fillet board. I filleted one side off and flipped the fish over to do the other side. That motherfucker came to life with the energy of a thousand suns, jumped 8inches in the air and continued to flip flap arond for about 30 seconds, splashing blood and fish slime all over the counter and cabinets.

This was after it was stabbed in the head and sat on ice for 2+ hours. I hate to be inhumane but I got a good laugh out of it.
>>
>>457024
heh...nothing personal...fishie
>>
>>453012
cut its head off, islamic humanity
>>
>>453012
Put it on ice immediately and be done with it. Ice is used to sedate fish in veterinary practices and their death is more like an overdose of anesthesia than suffocation. Plus you should ALWAYS keep fresh fish on ice until you cook, eat, or freeze it.
>>
One time when I was younger I was fishing with my dad, this little sunfish (like a few inches long) got the hook lodged deep in its throat. MY dad tried to pull the hook out, it wouldnt move, So he pulled it with all his strength and ripped the fish inside out. Its jaw and guts came out in one piece still attached to the hook.

My dad is an evil piece of shit.
>>
>>453012
You drown it.
>>
>>457692
It takes hours for ice to kill some fish. Off the top of my head I've had Tog, Sharks, Skates and sometimes Flounder survive at least 30mins burryed in ice. Skates and Tog can go hours without dying on ice somehow. I've also had sharks live 10+ minutes after being completely gutted.

Warm water species like Spot, Croaker and Weakfish don't last nearly as long - 10 minutes at the most.

My issue with straight to ice is the stress the fish goes through, which may alter the taste of the meat. They certainly don't just "go to sleep" when on ice.
>>
>>453012
you keep the fish alive as long as possible. i understand and empathize with you when it comes to the suffering of animals, but when it comes to my or my family's personal safety, i'm going to keep the fish alive until i'm ready to clean it to prevent food poisoning. we typically put them in an iced cooler that you only use for fish. they go kind of unconscious when you do that.
>>
I keep it alive in a little underwater basket until I'm done, then I just put them in a chest full of ice.

Usually by the time I get home they're still alive, but minimally active. I don't think this is cruel and it's good knowing that the fish you eat is as fresh as it can possibly get.
>>
>>454556

How many servings would those 4 fish make?

Or how much good meat does each fish weigh?

fishing noob here, just curious
>>
>>454438
i get what you are saying but fish are certainly not dumb. i know it looks that way from above the surface of the water, but after scuba diving for a while, you realize that fish are pretty damn smart. they have their own social structures, territories, etc, and can learn.
>>
>>453077
I line fish commercially (Australia), and our standard practice is to cut the throat and put it straight into an ice slurry for product quality and food hygiene requirements. Not sure if it's the most humane way, but it's quick.
>>
>>457894
>it's good knowing that the fish you eat is as fresh as it can possibly get.
Well that's the point of contention isn't it?

It can be, and is, argued that the stress the fish is under while it's being frozen alive can cause the meat to become full of lactic acid and stress hormones which taint it's flavour. Many (myself included) will suggest the ikejime with an optional blood cut in the gills afterwards and then ice for the best quality meat.
>>
>>453012
Break it's neck with thumb.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.