[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iceland and General Multi Day Hiking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: iceland01.jpg (391KB, 1824x1368px) Image search: [Google]
iceland01.jpg
391KB, 1824x1368px
is iceland the ultimate /out/-country?

jokes aside, I lately had a very fun 10-day hike in the south of iceland. Gorgeous country.
i sometimes met a lot of other tourists, sometimes no one all day.
what do you think about icland?
have other anons done some hiking there?
we exclusively slept at campgrounds, because we were unsure about camping in national parks. where did you camp?

I'm also going to post my packing list, because i have some questions on it
>>
File: packingList.png (19KB, 294x701px) Image search: [Google]
packingList.png
19KB, 294x701px
so this is what I took on my trip (10 days). My pack had 17 kg (37.5 lbs) with 2.5 litres of water and it was really heavy for me, because I'm pretty skinny (56 kg / 123.5 lbs)
how can I reduce weight some more?
how the hell am I supposed to go more than 20+ days when I have to carry all the food?
I'm planning on doing the grande traversata delle alpi next year - which is 2 months - and I still don't really know what I should do about the water and food. I know I can buy it along the way, but if I have to carry water and food for, lets say 3 - 4 day it's at least 6 kg / 13 lbs. My back will explode.
>>
>>1095325
Drop the thermos, two of the shorts and at least one of the shirts. Swap the alcohol stove for gas or carry less fuel. Exchange the hoodie for a lightweight down or fleece. Is your sleeping bag one of those 2kg carinthia monstrosities? How much does your tent weigh?

Get a water filter and a map with marked water places. Plan your food resupplies carefully.

Gain some weight.
>>
>>1095384
i realize i packed too much clothing
can't drop the fuel if i want to do longer hikes
my sleepingbag is 1.2 kg
tent is 1.4 kg
i am slowly gaining weight, but it takes a lot of time

how can i drop the thermos? what about the cold?
am i missing something? do all of you run around with 17+ kg packs?
>>
>>1095462
For hot drinks, make them on the go. If you need something warm in your tent - find a lightweight container to fill with hot water and wrap it with a wool shirt.

If you're carrying a week's worth of food, 17kg is actually pretty good, especially if you've got a good backpack that's rated to carry that much (most of the weight should be on your hips). There's a reason why some expedition packs are rated up to 30-40 kilos. The trick is both working up to the weight and not carrying more than 25% of your body weight - so go on a lot of hikes with your pack and gain weight and you should be fine. Also you will lose some weight on long distance hikes, especially in the mountains, so plan accordingly.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.