[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help a newb with picking gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: hiking-guide-copy-2.jpg (1MB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
hiking-guide-copy-2.jpg
1MB, 1400x933px
Hi /out/

A guy from work offered to join him on a hiking trip to South America - he's organising the thing, but he wanted company. He proposed Patagonia, specifically south Argentina, and I accepted.

Problem is, I've not hiked much. I mean dad used to take me out when I was little, but nothing beyond that. I'm thinking to buy hiking gear right now. Money is a non-issue, I haven't had a vacation in a few years so buying good stuff for the trip is fine.

What do I get?
>>
>>1094585
>Go to rei
>Tell salesman you need him to /out/fit you
>Money is a non-issue
>Say no more, senpai
>>
>>1094594
Hey, I live in Fuckhole, Lithuania. There isn't a rei or any similar /out/ stuff (maybe except 1-2 that are located fuck knows where, and customer service in this country is worthless). I'm going to be shopping online, as I have for like the last 5 years for everything except groceries.
>>
>>1094602
>Shopping online
Trekkkin is your friend, then.

How long is your trip? Tent, hammock, tarp camping? What gear do you own already? What food are you packing?

There isn't a single recommendation to every /out/ist here, people need to know more details.
>>
>>1094606
Sure.

Well, we're thinking about approximately 2 weeks. Most nights are going to be spent in smaller cities/villages or at inns, and for the 3-4 nights that aren't, they guy said he'll be bringing a tent.

I'm not sure about the food as I haven't done this sort of thing before, but I guess I'm going to stock up on these dehydrated meal things I read about on the wirecutter.
>>
>>1094606
forgot the gear part:

I have a TNF rain jacket somewhere. I have a few shirts that I suppose I could put on under the jacket that would feel comfy and not look out of place. I have a pair of binoculars, and a Klean Kanteen. I have a camera, but that;s kinda additional. That's probably it, I've been living in cities ultimately for the last 15 years or so, and haven't spent much time outdoors.
>>
File: 1437147886299.jpg (460KB, 736x4270px) Image search: [Google]
1437147886299.jpg
460KB, 736x4270px
>>1094612
>>1094610
Then seems like you will need to buy a decent amount of gear. Things you should look at, good pair of boots (lowa, asolo, salomon, la sportiva) since the trails down there may be kinda rough, decent backpack - osprey, vaude, berghaus, deuter - pick your poison. 60/70 is more than enough (I have done 2 week hikes with 40L backpack but the weather was warm, I didn't pack a sleeping system other than sleeping bag and had access to plenty of food along the way)
Sleeping bag, buy one that fits the weather. Look at confort temperature, weight/volume and since rain is a possibility maybe you're better suited with synthetic rather than down insulation.
Look at sleeping pads and try to figure /out/ what fits your comfort, price and weight needs.

Get a stove - msr (goat), jetboil, alcohol stove... many options there. An headlamp is a must too - petzl, black diamond, look it up. Get a decent hardshell, SOCKS, personally you can cheap it on pants, there are lots of options if you want something nice - arcteryx, fjallraven, patagonia and so on.

The best thing you can do is talk with your buddy, if he's an experienced guy he can hook you up with all info you need, maybe even borrow some gear from him. Honestly, if this is an one trip deal thing you don't need to spend a shitton of money, even if money is not a concern. Humm, forget what I have just said, buy has much as possible and don't forget to sell it on ebay half the price in a couple months time. Joking, obviously.

Get a water filter too. And wait, more people will probably show up and give you their 2cent advice. Have a nice trip

Also buy a knoife to baton and chop chop.
>>
>>1094678
thank you /out/ sempai, I guess I will end up borrowing some stuff from my guy - just not for it to go to waste. I'll look into the brands you highlighted tho.
>>
>>1094602
>Lithuania. There isn't a rei or any similar /out/ stuff
Just found one using the googler.

>customer service in this country is worthless.
If everywhere you go smells like shit, check your shoes.

>shopping online
This is a bad idea for clothes, shoes, and backpacks.
>>
>>1094716
you realize Lithuania is an entire fucking country right? Cars in EE are especially a privilege and gas is doubly expensive as it is in the US.
>>
>>1095105
Are you from the eighties or are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>1094612
Well, you don't need that much as your friend is bringing the tent.
Get good fitting hiking boots, socks too, and walk them in.
Get rain gear like rain jacket and pants, preferably double or triple membrane.
Get a good backpack, 45l would be enough since your dude is bringing the heavy stuff, but bring a 60l pack to make things fair.
Get a nice sleeping bag that has comfort down to at least 0°C
Get a fleece mid layer
Get 2-3 wool shirts 200g quality or more
Get a wool cap
get some hiking pants
Bring some bits and pieces like a headlamp, mug, spoon, sunscreen, flask of booze, compass, map, length of line and a book.
>>
>>1094585
here's a crazy idea! Ask your colleague what to bring.
>>
Avoid cotton like the plague
>>
>>1094602
If money is not an issue - hop on a bus to Riga (should be less than 30 euros both ways from Vilnius). There are two cool hiking/climbing stores here - Virsotne and Celotajs. They stock a lot of quality gear (La Sportiva, Osprey, Mammut and others). You should definitely try on your boots and backpack in person.

IIRC you guys had a Keen store in Vilnius too. Might try that one out for shoes as well.
>>
>yuppy doesn't hike
>Hurr Durr money's not an issue
>PATAGONIA
>Advice?

Stay home you yuppy libtard. People like you and your friend ruin the experience worldwide. Just buy a really big TV and watch episodes of "Rock the Park" - I'm sure you'd love those two schlomos.

God damned yuppies make me sick.
>>
>>1095295
Why are you butthurt? Anon is free to enjoy /out/ as much as any other guy, even if that means going /out/ once in 10 years.
Are you a jealous cunt because an yuppy gets to go to Patagonia for two weeks and you don't? Worry about yourself and let others live their lives, if you have nothing to add then fuck off.
>>
is fjallraven as good as people say or just a meme? I've been pretty intresed for a bit but haven't taken plunge.
>>
>>1095601
Overpriced because their main audience are swedes with a high standard of living and lots of $$$. It's quality gear that lasts for years though, so if you have the dough to spend, why not.
>>
For both you and your colleagues sake, do try to practice as much as you possibly can before the trip.
It will make it a lot more enjoyable for you, and less annoying for your friend who has to wait for your unfit ass to catch up with him every 5 minutes.
As for gear, the most important part is a pair of good fitting boots, and a nice fitting backpack. those two items are the most crucial for enjoyment.
>>
>Dad used to take me out when I was little
>I've not hiked much
I bet you disappoint him.
>>
>>1094602
DON'T shop for hiking gear online, at least not shoes and clothes, unless you're very experienced with the brands you're shopping for and are certain it will fit you. Come on, I am sure Lithuania has some outdoor shop, it's not really that bad. Even shitholes like Indonesia had outdoor shops when I visited
>>
>>1095728
>why not
Because fuck cotton and fuck those outdated hipster designs. It's shitty gear for cityfags who never actually go out.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.